TL-191: Filling the Gaps

Alterwright, I've really been enjoying your posts on the reputations of pre-POD historical figures, as well as your post on German soldiers in the American West. I thought it was very interesting how the different biases amongst those in different nations have shaped the collective national views of different historical figures.

Speaking of pre-POD historical figures, what are the portraits on the money of this world's United States and Confederate States? I think it the book it mentioned John Adams was on a US dollar coin, but what about the other units of USA and CSA currency?
It's stated that the CSA has a "Stonewall", a gold coin worth $5 with a picture of Stonewall Jackson on it. I want to say that the 10 banknote had a portrait of Jefferson Davis on it.

Speaking of pre-POD historical figures, what are the portraits on the money of this world's United States and Confederate States? I think it the book it mentioned John Adams was on a US dollar coin, but what about the other units of USA and CSA currency?

It's stated that the CSA has a "Stonewall", a gold coin worth $5 with a picture of Stonewall Jackson on it. I want to say that the 10 banknote had a portrait of Jefferson Davis on it.

For the North: Andrew Jackson, John Jay/Hamilton, Teddy, Custer and Irving Morrell.

For the South: I can honesty see George Washington on the Confederate $1 and John 'Supervillian' C. Calhoun and Robert E. Lee with their own money too.

For the North: Andrew Jackson, John Jay/Hamilton, Teddy, Custer and Irving Morrell.

For the South: I can honesty see George Washington on the Confederate $1 and John 'Supervillian' C. Calhoun and Robert E. Lee with their own money too.
The 5 billion bank note had JEB Stuart

Oh, and I just found this.

Thomas Brackett Reed is on the fifty-cent coin during the Great War. ( Hero of the Remembrance ideology who formed the American alliance with Haiti.)

Here's my take on the Confederate Coins and Dollar Bills.

The Confederate States Dollar (1861-1944)

Coins

1 Cent:
Obverse: Robert E. Lee
Reverse: Confederate Battle Flag Saltire

5 Cents:
Obverse: George Washington
Reverse: Mt. Vernon

10 Cents:
Obverse: John C. Calhoun
Reverse: The Star of the "Bonnie Blue Flag"

Quarter Dollar:
Obverse: Jefferson Davis
Reverse: Grey House

Half Dollar:
Obverse: Albert Sidney Johnston
Reverse: Torch and Olive Branch

Dollar Coin:
Obverse: P. G. T. Beauregard
Reverse: Fasces with Laurel

5 Dollar Coin:
Obverse: Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
Reverse: Confederate Presidential Seal

Banknotes ("Greybacks")

1 Dollar:
Obverse: John C. Calhoun
Reverse: Seal of the Confederate States with the motto "Deo Vindice"

5 Dollars:
Obverse: Robert E. Lee
Reverse: General Lee with the Army of the Northern Virginia at Camp Hill

10 Dollars:
Obverse: Jefferson Davis
Reverse: The Grey House

20 Dollars:
Reverse: Alabama State Capitol (First Seat of the Confederate Government)

50 Dollars:
Obverse: Judah P. Benjamin
Reverse: The First Confederate Cabinet

100 Dollars:
Obverse: Christopher Memminger
Reverse: Confederate States Capital

Confederate Federal Reserve Banknotes

500 Dollars:
Obverse: Thomas Jefferson
Reverse: A Map of the Confederate States of America

1,000 Dollars:
Obverse: James Longstreet
Reverse: A scene of the Battle of Louisville in 1881

5,000 Dollars:
Obverse: Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
Reverse: The Confederate National Flag and Confederate Battle Flag

10,000 Dollars:
Obverse: John H. Reagan
Reverse: The Founding of Jamestown in 1607

Last edited:
Here's my take on the Union Coins and Dollar Bills.

The United States Dollar (1945)

Coins

1 Cent:
Reverse: Union Shield

5 Cents:
Obverse: Benjamin Franklin
Reverse: The Liberty Bell

10 Cents:
Obverse: Lady Liberty in a Phrygian cap
Reverse: Fasces and Laurel

Quarter Dollar:
Obverse: Daniel Webster
Reverse: Seal of the United States

Half Dollar:
Obverse: Thomas Brackett Reed
Reverse: Presidential Seal

Dollar Coin:
Obverse: Alfred Thayer Mahan
Reverse: USS Connecticut

Banknotes ("Greenbacks")

1 Dollar:
Reverse: Seal of the United States with the motto "E pluribus unum"

5 Dollars:
Obverse: John Adams
Reverse: Declaration of Independence by John Trumbull

10 Dollars:
Obverse: Andrew Jackson
Reverse: The White House

20 Dollars:
Obverse: Alexander Hamilton
Reverse: United States Treasury

50 Dollars:
Obverse: Theodore Roosevelt
Reverse: United States Capitol

100 Dollars:
Obverse: Benjamin Franklin
Reverse: Independence Hall

United States Federal Reserve Banknotes

500 Dollars:
Obverse: John Marshall

1,000 Dollars:
Obverse: John Jay

5,000 Dollars:
Obverse: Thomas Brackett Reed

10,000 Dollars:
Obverse: Alfred Thayer Mahan

Last edited:
The Confederate States Dollar (1861-1944)

Banknotes ("Greybacks")

Confederate Federal Reserve Banknotes
The United States Dollar (1945)

Banknotes ("Greenbacks")

United States Federal Reserve Banknotes

Yes. YES!! I love this. Bits of details like this are always the best. Plus, they're a good symbolic and visual way to really flesh out an alternate history world. Love this choices you made for these ones here.

Yes. YES!! I love this. Bits of details like this are always the best. Plus, they're a good symbolic and visual way to really flesh out an alternate history world. Love this choices you made for these ones here.

You’re welcome!

I’m planning on going into more detail with these currencies and writing about the history of the designs of the different currencies. For example, George Washington’s profile wasn’t on the penny until 1912, in honor of his 280th birthday. Before that, the design of the penny was the Indian Head Penny, which IOTL was replaced by the Abraham Lincoln Penny in 1909.

Last edited:
Here's my take on the Confederate Coins and Dollar Bills.

Here's my take on the Union Coins and Dollar Bills.

You’re welcome!

I’m planning on going into more detail with these currencies and writing about the history of the designs of the different currencies. For example, Theodore Roosevelt’s profile wasn’t on the penny until after his death in 1924. Before that, the design of the penny was the Indian Head Penny, which IOTL was replaced by the Abraham Lincoln Penny in 1909.

Well done Zoidberg! I honesty really like the lists and I can see them very much within the TL-191.

However, there is one issue. George Washington on Union money. I don't think his image would have recover enough in the North for it. Maybe replace him with say...Martin Van Buren, John Quincy, or even James Polk.

Same for James Madison. (One of the few who can rival Blaine in bad reputation. )

Thanks for the feedback.

I think George Washington, as the Father of the Country, would still be on US money. However, I agree with you on James Madison, so I replaced him with John Jay.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think George Washington, as the Father of the Country, would still be on US money. However, I agree with you on James Madison, so I replaced him with John Jay.

It still be...well, awkward to say the least on the matter of Washington for both North and South, but true.

It still be...well, awkward to say the least on the matter of Washington for both North and South, but true.

I guess it all depends on how the North post Second Mexican War chooses to remember him. Judging by the remarks of certain characters in the series, I'd say they're not too fond of Washington.

I guess it all depends on how the North post Second Mexican War chooses to remember him. Judging by the remarks of certain characters in the series, I'd say they're not too fond of Washington.

This sums it up nicely.

Reputations of Pre-Secession (Pre-POD) Presidents

George Washington
Union: As a Virginian slaveholder with ties to the Lee family, Washington began to see a decline in popularity over the years, even if the idea of the US splitting in half would have horrified him. He was still listed as one of the "good" presidents, however, until the Second Mexican War, after which the Remembrance historiography sent his reputation into freefall. If Washington was ever painted in a good light, it was in his early years as a soldier fighting French and Indians and British (That he fought the French and Indians under the orders of the British crown is glossed over). His presidency is depicted as an aloof aristocrat taking all the credit for the actions of Adams and Hamilton and Jay. After GWII Washington's reputation is rehabilitated and he's once again considered one of the good presidents, although he never regains his mythic status.

Confederacy: Washington is considered the spiritual ancestor for the CSA from day one - he's on their friggin seal, for crying out loud! Only Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee rival him in reputation (until Featherston supplants all three).

There we go. Washington would definitely see a decline for sure, but at the very least he'd be acknowledged for his leadership during the American Revolution. Definitely looked upon badly in the North, but would still have a complicated like/dislike ratio.

Washington status in the North would likely recover, but only after GW2 and never regains it mythical status. If anything, he's 'balance' by the other figures of the Revolution.

bguy

Donor
There we go. Washington would definitely see a decline for sure, but at the very least he'd be acknowledged for his leadership during the American Revolution. Definitely looked upon badly in the North, but would still have a complicated like/dislike ratio.

I've never really understood why Washington's reputation would have taken a hit in the TL-191 US anyway. Yes, he's from one of the southern states, but he was also a successful military general who defeated the hated British. A nationalistic, militaristic ideology like Remembrance is going to need to venerate military heroes, and if the U.S. turns away Washington then who do they have? Andrew Jackson, William Henry Harrison, Winfield Scott, and Zachary Taylor were all southern born as well, so if you reject Washington because of his southern heritage than you lose them as well and after that the cupboard is pretty thin.

"It was May 1942, and I was in my second month of Basic training at Camp Pershing in Wisconsin. One night, the drill sergeant told me and a ten other men in the company to report to the auditorium at 1900 for a 'special briefing'. I was a little pissed about giving up my limited free time, but we were promised a beer so I wasn't too upset. So we get there at a few minutes early and find the auditorium packed with about 100 other men. This corporal hands me a beer and tells me to find a seat. A few minutes after 1900, this major walks up on stage and starts speaking. Tells us that we're among the fittest in the training battalion. He asks if any of us want to volunteer for a new assignment. One soldier asked him what the new assignment entailed? After about 30 seconds of silence, he answers that it would involve us jumping out of airplanes. The mass of laughter and hooping in that auditorium had to be the loudest thing I've ever heard.......outside of combat that is. Anyway, once the NCO's finally got us back to a bearable manner, the major mentioned that every volunteer who made it through 'paratrooper' training would get a special allowance of $30 a month. Not only was there no laughing at this point, but almost 80 hands went up. I was surprised and dumbfounded that mine was one of them."

U.S. Major General (Retired) Alex "All the Way" Bevins speaking as part of GWII series in 1985