A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

James is most definitely not happy. I wouldn't be surprised if he planned to kill Masham.
Which makes the Duchess of Somerset (who in OTL survived all the Masham's toxicity unscatched) his natural ally in getting rid of this... thing. In OTL she was nearly the only one selfless Anne's friend.

VVD0D95

Banned
Which makes the Duchess of Somerset (who in OTL survived all the Masham's toxicity unscatched) his natural ally in getting rid of this... thing. In OTL she was nearly the only one selfless Anne's friend.

Definitely. Expect an update soon where the two meet, perhaps with Caroline present as well

He's born in 1687, so 25 years old. With two sons - George, Duke of Edinburgh (I think this was the style of heir apparent of a heir apparent in 18th century) (b.1704), and James, Duke of Kendal (BTW, why Kendal and not more high-ranked Cambridge?), b.1709. One daughter, Princess Anne, born in 1707.

VVD0D95

Banned
He's born in 1687, so 25 years old. With two sons - George, Duke of Edinburgh (I think this was the style of heir apparent of a heir apparent in 18th century) (b.1704), and James, Duke of Kendal (BTW, why Kendal and not more high-ranked Cambridge?), b.1709. One daughter, Princess Anne, born in 1707.
Ah was Cambridge more high ranked than Kendal? I just sort of pulled it out the hay aha

Ah was Cambridge more high ranked than Kendal? I just sort of pulled it out the hay aha
Given that it was inferior even in the list of Duke of York's sons, and unlike Cambridge, it was never recreated in Royal family... yes, it was inferior OTL (in some TL's, namely our A&D, the rank of Cambridge and Kendal was reversed, but this was not the case OTL).

VVD0D95

Banned
Given that it was inferior even in the list of Duke of York's sons, and unlike Cambridge, it was never recreated in Royal family... yes, it was inferior OTL (in some TL's, namely our A&D, the rank of Cambridge and Kendal was reversed, but this was not the case OTL).
Ahhh okay I shall amend :)

Chapter 155: Hampton Court Intrigue

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 155: Hampton Court Intrigue

February, 1713

Ever since the argument with his Mother about Harley and his words to Abigail Masham, James had left Whitehall with his wife and children and moved to Hampton Court Palace. Surprisingly, a good number of the younger courtiers and some of the older ones had come with him as well. He had not expected that and though it did bring him some satisfaction he worried about what it meant for the image of the monarchy. And not for the first time he found himself deeply angry with Masham for bringing the crown into disrepute. He had asked the Duke and Duchess of Somerset to attend him at Hampton Court, as he liked the Duke-despite his Whiggish tendencies- and the Duchess was his mother’s closest confidant who was not a Churchill or a Masham. Caroline was two months pregnant, having just confirmed it to him recently, though she had insisted in being at this meeting, and well Walpole was here because he had alongside John, become one of James’ trusted confidants.

“Thank you all for coming. We understand that it can be quite difficult to choose between what Masham instructs of you and what is for the good of the country.” James said. He took a breath, and then continued. “However, we believe that things have reached a point now that we must act. Masham and Harley continue to demonstrate that they cannot be trusted with the levers of power.” He looked at the Duke of Somerset. “We heard of what her husband said to your son, Charles, and we find that most appalling. That a Brigadier General would say such a thing to his better, is wrong beyond measure. We must find this problem a solution.” He looked at the Duchess then. “What has been the state of Her Majesty since our discussion before Michaelmas?” He had not spoken with Mother since then and George had told him that things were getting even worse at Whitehall with Mother’s illness, and Masham’s power.

“Your Royal Highness, Her Majesty despairs of the words that she said to you. She, I think regrets what was passed between you both and she knows that Abigail was out of line with her words. However, I think she has come to depend on Abigail beyond reason and as such is terrified of removing her from her service.” The Duchess replied.

James pondered this and asked. “Do you think the harlot has something she wishes to use on Her Majesty?” James knew that the Duchess of Marlborough had had something she wished to use on his mother when mother had veered toward Masham, but James had had a quiet word with the Duke and that threat had disappeared. He did not have such a power over Masham.

The Duchess sighed. “I do not know, Your Royal Highness. There are times when I think that Abigail must exercise some sort of otherworldly control over Her Majesty, for they are closer than Her Majesty ever was with the Duchess of Marlborough, and yet there are times when Her Majesty dismisses her from her presence for a night and day and laments what has become of her friendships.”

James nodded, he wasn’t quite sure what to make of this information, thankfully, Caroline knew what to say. “So, if we are reading this right, Duchess, you are saying that there are moments, no matter how brief, where Her Majesty feels as though she cannot stand the presence of Abigail Masham, is that correct?”

“That is right, Your Royal Highness.” The Duchess answered. “It seems that since the argument Your Royal Highness had with Her Majesty, that these moments are growing more and more common. The last one was about three days ago. Indeed, it ended in such a screaming contest, I thought the French might hear it.”

James looked at Caroline then and saw that she had reached the same conclusion as him. “Then perhaps there is a way to make sure that the breach is permanent.” Caroline suggested.

“But how?” James mused. “We would need something quite convincing and quite permanent for this to happen. And everything else we have tried has failed.”

The Duchess spoke then. “If I might, Your Royal Highnesses?” James gestured for the lady to continue. “Her Majesty has many things that she does not like, but there is only one thing she hates. That is anyone who says a wrong thing about any of her children. Especially you, Your Royal Highness. I know for a fact that Abigail has been saying to anyone who will listen that she considers you a fool and that she can have the Queen change the succession should she wish it. Her husband is known for speaking at length about his wife’s influence. And I believe that Lord Harley is encouraging such talk as he eyes a peerage. The only way I can see Abigail being removed is by having her say something like this in the opening.”

James was shocked that someone would speak such open treason, but then perhaps he was not a woman, or perhaps a viper was a better term to describe Abigail Masham and her husband. Caroline spoke. “How would you get this to happen in front of the Queen though? We do not think that Abigail Masham is so foolish as to say it in front of the Queen.”

“She is not that foolish no, but she might well say something about Your Royal Highnesses, should I bring it up.” The Duchess replied. “Her Majesty trusts me, should she know we met she will wish to know how you are doing, and from there we can take the conversation.”

For a brief moment, James felt horrible about using his mother’s love for him against her, but then he remembered what was at stake and said. “Do it then. When do you next meet Her Majesty?”

“In two days’ time, Your Royal Highness.” The Duchess responded.

“Do it then.” James commanded.

The Duchess bowed. “As you command, Your Royal Highness.”

James looked at the Duke and said. “Your wife is incredibly calculating, Your Grace. We hope you realise what a valuable ally you have.”

The Duke grinned. “Of course, Your Royal Highness.”

VVD0D95

Banned
Yay! Plotting is afoot!

Unfortunately no cows, but still.

Also, during this time Louis XIV and his son ttl Louis XV have both died, meaning the Duke of Burgundy is now Louis XVI, should I do an update to show the changes this has rendered to Versailles?

Also, during this time Louis XIV and his son ttl Louis XV have both died, meaning the Duke of Burgundy is now Louis XVI, should I do an update to show the changes this has rendered to Versailles?
The longest reigning and the shortest (not counting John I's "reign") reigning king perish within the same year:)