2019 Turtledoves - Cold War to Contemporary Timeline Voting Poll 1

The Best Cold War to Contemporary Timeline Is?

• HMS Eagle in the Falklands by @flasheart

Votes: 101 28.0%
  • Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond - President_Lincoln

Votes: 98 27.1%
  • The Iron Eagle: An Adolf Hitler Presidency - IntellectuallyHonestRhino

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • Protect and Survive Miami: End of Watch - wolverinethad

Votes: 36 10.0%
  • Lazarus, Icarus, and Canadian Politics: An Infobox Timeline - CanadianTory

Votes: 38 10.5%
  • McGoverning - Yes

Votes: 81 22.4%
  • Texas Two-Step: Nixon Nominates Connally As VP in 1973 - wolverinethad

Votes: 23 6.4%
  • Kentucky Fried Politics: A Colonel Sanders Timeline - gap80

Votes: 43 11.9%
  • Kistling a Different Tune: Commercial Space in an Alternate Key - e of pi

Votes: 23 6.4%
  • The Fatherland - a Nazi Victory TL - Onkel Willie

Votes: 80 22.2%
  • NASA's Waterloo - prolemasses

Votes: 49 13.6%
  • Give Peace A Chance: The Presidency of Eugene McCarthy - The Lethargic Lett

Votes: 37 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU HAVE VOTED FOR "THE IRON EAGLE" IN THIS THREAD" CHANGE YOUR VOTE OR IT WILL NOT BE COUNTED. THE CORRECT PLACE TO VOTE FOR THIS TIMELINE IS THE EARLY 20TH CENTURY VOTING POLL

==================================================================

HMS Eagle in the Falklands - flasheart

Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond - President_Lincoln

The Iron Eagle: An Adolf Hitler Presidency - IntellectuallyHonestRhino

Protect and Survive Miami: End of Watch - wolverinethad

Lazarus, Icarus, and Canadian Politics: An Infobox Timeline - CanadianTory

McGoverning - Yes

Texas Two-Step: Nixon Nominates Connally As VP in 1973 - wolverinethad

Kentucky Fried Politics: A Colonel Sanders Timeline - gap80

Kistling a Different Tune: Commercial Space in an Alternate Key - e of pi

The Fatherland - a Nazi Victory TL - Onkel Willie

NASA's Waterloo - prolemasses

Give Peace A Chance: The Presidency of Eugene McCarthy - The Lethargic Lett

Last edited:
McCarthy Turtledove.jpg

Who is Eugene?
Give Peace A Chance: The Presidency of Eugene McCarthy, is an ongoing timeline with regularly posted chapters, about one every five days. It follows the maverick Democratic Senator for Minnesota, Gene McCarthy, and if his 1968 primary challenge against Lyndon Johnson had led to successfully gaining the Democratic nomination over Vice President Hubert Humphrey, and ultimately defeating Richard Nixon in the general election. As of the current state of the timeline, the year is 1978 (ten years after the PoD). McCarthy has left office, and has been succeeded by the populist Republican Governor of Ohio, James A. Rhodes.

A Breath of Fresh Air.jpg

Why Vote For Eugene?
Give Peace A Chance: The Presidency of Eugene McCarthy is the first TL on this website that fully chronicles an era with McCarthy as America's Chief of State. If it feels like you've seen a hundred different variations of Hubert Humphrey and Bobby Kennedy, vote for Gene McCarthy instead, to add some variety to the place!

Twice as McCarthy.jpg

Why Vote for Eugene?
This ain't some 'America but left wing' dime a dozen timeline! There's messy politics, scandals, idealism, pragmatism, cut corners, dirty compromises, and deals with devils. McCarthy is portrayed as a highly flawed individual, just as he was. Every other President of the TL will be getting the same treatment, regardless of political ideology! By the time of TTL's 2018 (the hopeful end-date of the TL) the world's political and cultural landscape will be way different than what you think you know of the world as it is today!

Joe McCarthy.jpg

Why Vote for Eugene?
Thirteen books and counting have been read by the author to ensure historical accuracy, as well as trawling through academic archives, watching several documentaries, and transcribing hours of audio recordings of McCarthy himself! The thread is open to suggestions and criticisms at any time to improve the quality of the work. On top of the ongoing chapters, edits and fixes are consistently being added to the released chapters.

McCarthy in 68.jpg

Convinced?
Then vote for Give Peace A Chance: The Presidency of Eugene McCarthy! Unsure? Then give the first few chapters a read! Undecided? Then vote for McCarthy and another TL you like! Do you not like me or anything even vaguely related to Eugene McCarthy? Then, uh, vote for something else I guess, I won't take it personal.

I have to say McGoverning by @Yes is one of the best written and well researched TLs on this site. I haven’t been keeping up with it as of late but from what I’ve read you can tell he’s done his homework to capture the personalities of the RL figures that appear in it and he puts a lot of detail into the narrative he writes. It would be a shame if it didn’t get into the final poll as I think it deserves to be there.

You all should read at least the first chapter, it’s a very good read.

BSIC is fine for two oh one nine! Doesn't quite work. Anyway, I would really recommend reading Blue Skies in Camelot if you haven't already and voting for it.

BSIC is fine for two oh one nine! Doesn't quite work. Anyway, I would really recommend reading Blue Skies in Camelot if you haven't already and voting for it.

Thank you so much, @King_Arthur! :D I'm humbled and honored to be nominated once again for the Turtledove and I really hope that I deserve it. I want to wish all of my fellow TL-authors the best of luck this Turtledove season. :) Whether you vote for my Blue Skies in Camelot or any of the other amazing works up for the nod this time around, I humbly beseech you to please get out and vote if you haven't already!

Status
Not open for further replies.