Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

And Morocco 1940.
Confins Algero-Marocain is mentioned here too so it's exact nature is a mystery to me now.

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b531212453

Maroc_1___1_500_[...]Maroc_Résidence_btv1b531212453.JPEG

Crazy Boris

Banned
China's invasion of Tibet happened in the east of the country, not the west. And it didn't take Lhasa. It resulted in a victory in Chamdo and then Tibet agreeing to terms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chamdo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorporation_of_Tibet_into_the_People's_Republic_of_China

EDIT: But CrazyBoris seems to have been working with Omniatlas as a source: https://omniatlas.com/maps/east-asia/19500914/

Doing a bit of checking that region is the Ngari region of Tibet. Perhaps it did come under the control of the PRC in 1950 along with Sinkiang. Anyone can confirm?

Bingo, I was using omniatlas. It confused me a bit too tbh. I figure that maybe the Tibetans had a looser grip on Ngari than they did on the more "core" areas closer to Lhasa, so maybe the PLA was able to sweep in and take that before the invasion of the rest of the country began.

This book has the definite explanation about Confins Algero-Marocain. As far as i can understand it was composite territory including parts of Morocco Algeria and Mauratenia. We discovered something complicated today, i have to read it tomorrow.

https://books.google.com.tr/books?id=IO69HppDTDgC&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9&dq=reorganisation+of+the+confins+algero-marocains&source=bl&ots=ktj7JrD5UY&sig=ACfU3U0B-J3cd9OJNelUkxSTpGWQdWBNtw&hl=tr&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwivmbG6msHgAhUqtosKHdZ3CCAQ6AEwAHoECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=reorganisation of the confins algero-marocains&f=false

Bingo, I was using omniatlas. It confused me a bit too tbh. I figure that maybe the Tibetans had a looser grip on Ngari than they did on the more "core" areas closer to Lhasa, so maybe the PLA was able to sweep in and take that before the invasion of the rest of the country began.
We still only have a tertiary source for that. So I'm not sure if we should put it on there. Show it as occupied, too, not annexed.

Crazy Boris

Banned
We still only have a tertiary source for that. So I'm not sure if we should put it on there. Show it as occupied, too, not annexed.

Was Tibet not officially annexed until the 17 point agreement?

EDIT: I just realized the way I worded that was kind of weird so I'll clarify. I put the PRC-controlled part of Tibet with the regular PRC color instead of the occupied color, since I figured that because the PRC claimed Tibet in its entirety, occupying Tibetan territory was effectively annexing it.

also the rest is done now.
unknown.png

Last edited:
Was Tibet not officially annexed until the 17 point agreement?

EDIT: I just realized the way I worded that was kind of weird so I'll clarify. I put the PRC-controlled part of Tibet with the regular PRC color instead of the occupied color, since I figured that because the PRC claimed Tibet in its entirety, occupying Tibetan territory was effectively annexing it.

also the rest is done now.
unknown.png
That's not quite true though, since Chamdo was occupied by the PRC, yet the PRC recognised that it remained part of "Tibet" even though at the time I believe Xikang was still a province that ostensibly included the Chamdo region. It's complicated.

Basically, the PRC regarded the Tibetan government as an autonomous region that resisted central authority, so invading its territory was not annexing it to the existing PRC, since the PRC regarded it as part of the "autonomous region" but temporarily controlled by the military.

unknown.png

Asia, Oceania, Canada, USA, and Caribbean done.
Hmmm. Will you be wanting to put in Guantanamo Bay. I am wondering what level of lease I take is at an if it would be similar to the he ports in China. Ahhh, and I feel you should put some colors down on the Channel Islands. And did the Republic of Ireland actually claim the North? And what about that bit of Georgia north of Abdkazia here? Was that before a border change? And you will want to extend the claims of Weat Germany in East Germany to the Oder Neisse line or further, as they never gave up the claim until later. What is the light blue in Japan for? Representing American occupation? If so, is that color set? I feel as though it might be too light, considering the man you Islands it would be used for. And had the areas of Baden-Wurtenburg not yet been reunified at this point in time? And is that island in northeastern Greenland white because of ice or because it was overlooked?

Altogether a lovely map, and I just give this pixel nitpicking constructively/out of curiosity.

Crazy Boris

Banned
Hmmm. Will you be wanting to put in Guantanamo Bay. I am wondering what level of lease I take is at an if it would be similar to the he ports in China. Ahhh, and I feel you should put some colors down on the Channel Islands. And did the Republic of Ireland actually claim the North? And what about that bit of Georgia north of Abdkazia here? Was that before a border change? And you will want to extend the claims of Weat Germany in East Germany to the Oder Neisse line or further, as they never gave up the claim until later. What is the light blue in Japan for? Representing American occupation? If so, is that color set? I feel as though it might be too light, considering the man you Islands it would be used for. And had the areas of Baden-Wurtenburg not yet been reunified at this point in time? And is that island in northeastern Greenland white because of ice or because it was overlooked?

Altogether a lovely map, and I just give this pixel nitpicking constructively/out of curiosity.

I've never really known how to show Guantanamo tbh, since it's kind of a weird grey area between an American territory and Cuban territory that just so happens to have American presence, but I think it's closer to the latter so I usually show it as Cuban. The bit of Georgia north of Abkhazia was on a reference map someone posted earlier. Good call with the Oder-Neisse line, I totally forgot that. The light colrs in Japan are for occupation, and I don't want to change it, since that would require altering all USA colors. Baden-Wurttemburg hadn't been unified yet, and the island in Greenland is just because I missed it.

Here's a new map with some fixes.
1950.png