Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline)

How is the timeline so far?

• It's good

Votes: 198 64.7%
  • It's ok

Votes: 62 20.3%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's really bad

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • It's gone to the Alien Space Bats

Votes: 41 13.4%

• Total voters
Yeah, I get you. I just thought it was a humourous oversimplification of the situation (and it would be how the Republicans perceive the situation). I might not want to reference it as a serious TLDR, especially since there will probably be a few new readers who might take it too literally.

The Republican hatred of the monarchy would look pretty ironic when it turns out that more often than not it's the Dictator/Director of the People who is pulling the monarch's strings rather than the other way around. Said "elected" officials implementing tyrannical laws "in the name of the *monarch*" would be likely more damaging than anything the House of Lafayette (or whatever local name they adopt) would end up doing themselves.

I really hope that a Great Awakening ends up with a Mormon-esque offshoot branch of Christianity founding. One of the breakaway states in the west, not in Utah for the sake of freshness, could have a majority of this new Christian sect.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
The Republican hatred of the monarchy would look pretty ironic when it turns out that more often than not it's the Dictator/Director of the People who is pulling the monarch's strings rather than the other way around. Said "elected" officials implementing tyrannical laws "in the name of the *monarch*" would be likely more damaging than anything the House of Lafayette (or whatever local name they adopt) would end up doing themselves.

Yeah, the Republicans will be a bit ideologically focused over the reality of the situation. The monarch, especially Prince Gilbert, is going to be arguably the most pro-liberty element in the American government. This is, at least to some degree, going to hurt the Republican popularity for a few decades.

I really hope that a Great Awakening ends up with a Mormon-esque offshoot branch of Christianity founding. One of the breakaway states in the west, not in Utah for the sake of freshness, could have a majority of this new Christian sect.

I've actually got two American religions mapped out to at least some degree, and I won't say anything about them migrating except that you probably won't be disappointed.

I actually want to keep them unspoilered though, so no more.

Last edited:
TBH when have the Republicans ever not been hypocritical

Yeah, the Republicans will be a bit ideologically focused over the reality of the situation. The monarch, especially Prince Gilbert, is going to be arguably the most pro-liberty element in the American government. This is, at least to some degree, going to hurt the Republican popularity for a few decades.

At least until Gilbert dies at some point in the early-to-mid 1830s. Then we could have Dictator Jackson take control over America as Regent over the heir, depending on when Gilbert II is born.

Which is presumably why Republicans have been streaming into the British Charlotina Protectorate as they've decided that the British are the right strange bedfellows to oppose the tyrant in *INSERT CAPITAL HERE*.

I've actually got two American religions mapped out to at least some degree, and I won't say anything about them migrating except that you probably won't be disappointed.

That's your prerogative. I eagerly await reading about them when they arise.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
I dont think so. Other TLs usually put it into the main threadmarks but point out its not a chapter. You could title it "Flags/words of the Empire." Otherwise im at a loss.

Well, I threadmarked all the ones I could find. Let me know if I missed one.

Also, I might make a post with all the flags so far referenced and have that post be a sort of "master post" for flags, so it has once threadmark for all of them. Alternatively, I might make an alternate history wiki and index them there. I'm not quite sure, I'll think it through in the morning, but I don't want to keep that threadmark system as it is.

Well, I threadmarked all the ones I could find. Let me know if I missed one.

Also, I might make a post with all the flags so far referenced and have that post be a sort of "master post" for flags, so it has once threadmark for all of them. Alternatively, I might make an alternate history wiki and index them there. I'm not quite sure, I'll think it through in the morning, but I don't want to keep that threadmark system as it is.
thanks man

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Alrighty everyone, after a bit of thinking, I've decided to do two things to organize the flag situation. Firstly, this post will be kept as a flag/media post where I'll come back too it and edit in further flags and other media. Second, I'm going to start using this Wikia to organize things and back up images. I've been thinking of starting one to help myself organize information in a bit better of a method than my current notes so I'll just leave it open for everyone to read through if they wish.

EDIT: OK, so, I didn't know about the limit on the number of images. I'm going to replace the images with links.

Last edited:

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Buenos noches everyone! I've been working on the next update which will deal not only with the Northwest Indian war, but will set the stage for how America deals with the Lenape, Cherokee, Choctaw and Muskogee tribes. I'm going to post an image that might not seem to be related, but it should provide just enough info to hint about the future of a few of the aforementioned tribes.

Dixie_JPEG.jpg

If I'm totally honest, I'm mostly just trying to justify the time I've spent on making this.

1. I'd personally love a labeled version of that map when the time arises.
  2. Maybe the first President of Dixie could be a TTL-exclusive son of Jefferson Davis. Or one of Lincoln's four sons. I like the idea of TTL's Robert Todd being friends with TTL's Jefferson Davis Jr.
  3. Maybe Lincoln's remains were smuggled to the area known in TTL's present as the Republic of Dixie to avoid him being buried in an ignoble grave. The problem? Robert Todd did such a good job at hiding the body that the combination of the time since the burial, Robert Todd's advancing age, and the stress of running Dixie caused him to forget where exactly he buried his dad's body. His family crypt in the Dixie capital of --------- (Charlestown? Columbia?) was built with an empty sarcophagus for Abraham should his mortal remains be discovered. People later narrow it down to a few possible locations with rigorous research of Robert Todd's personal records and, for maximum narrative appropriateness, the body is discovered about a hundred years after it vanished. Abe is able to finally rest with his son and grandchildren.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
TBH when have the Republicans ever not been hypocritical

Keep current politics in Chat.

A Future for the Native Peoples?

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hello everyone, I am actually here with another update this time! Actually, it might be 1.5, but I won't say for certain, I don't quite like the format I've take with it so far.

Anywho, quickly before the update though, I wanted to mention a couple of things. First, sorry for the current political joke if that annoyed anyone, I'm a bit dumb sometimes and write/say things without thinking them through.

Is Muskogee the only native state within Dixie? Assuming that land east of Transoconee is Muskogee, of course.

It's not just Muscogee that are there, although I might have ruined the hint because I accidentally put Choctaw instead of Chickasaw.

Every time I see an Alert that you've attached a file to this I pray its an update and not some small spoiler.

Sorry about this too, I know I drop a lot of hints and stuff, and if people are getting annoyed with that too I'll tone it down. I just get distracted with random thoughts a lot of the time and I don't want to feel like I'm wasting my time by creating these things, so I post them here. Although, one thing to note, if it has an attachment it is probably a spoiler or something minor, I have been trying to avoid attaching files in updates directly so that way Death of a Republic doesn't end up like some timelines with a bunch of broken pictures in the middle of updates. However, once I finish setting up the Wikia, again, if it isn't too annoying, I might include a few as I can add a backup link to help me feel confident I won't lose important images.

1. I'd personally love a labeled version of that map when the time arises.
  2. Maybe the first President of Dixie could be a TTL-exclusive son of Jefferson Davis. Or one of Lincoln's four sons. I like the idea of TTL's Robert Todd being friends with TTL's Jefferson Davis Jr.
  3. Maybe Lincoln's remains were smuggled to the area known in TTL's present as the Republic of Dixie to avoid him being buried in an ignoble grave. The problem? Robert Todd did such a good job at hiding the body that the combination of the time since the burial, Robert Todd's advancing age, and the stress of running Dixie caused him to forget where exactly he buried his dad's body. His family crypt in the Dixie capital of --------- (Charlestown? Columbia?) was built with an empty sarcophagus for Abraham should his mortal remains be discovered. People later narrow it down to a few possible locations with rigorous research of Robert Todd's personal records and, for maximum narrative appropriateness, the body is discovered about a hundred years after it vanished. Abe is able to finally rest with his son and grandchildren.

1. I will provide one eventually, although relatively soon I might just provide a more modern map of the USA.
2. I am considering something somewhat similar to this, although not necessarily with those people.
3. Lincoln's body is going to be a mystery for this timeline's entire run, although these are good ideas and I could see it being along the lines of what actually happens even if nobody actually knows it.

And, finally, if the Laeti seem to come a little out of nowhere, the .5 I am working on finishing should explain a bit of the reasoning that goes into it. This update's a bit scattered though because I was trying to give a little of the native context for the events, as well as cover a somewhat larger length of time than normal.

"...Our rights have been infringed upon, our treaties have been broken, our culture has been stolen, and our tribes have been decimated..."
--Markwayne Mullin

On March 6th,1792, commander of all American soldiers in the Northwest and the Legion II specifically, James Wilkinson, was met with an unexpected guest. Chief Buckongahelas, along with four other chiefs of the Lenape, had come to speak with Wilkinson to propose an alliance with the Americans against the republicans who had begun to overrun their lands.

Wilkinson accepted the alliance, however there was an idea Wilkinson put on the table. Wilkinson was in fact an agent of the Spanish crown whom the Spanish had asked to work on prying out some of the western territories owned by the United States and placing them in Spanish orbit. Wilkinson argued that the Lenape tribe should ally with Spain after the Republicans were crushed and take over the Northwest as a Spanish aligned state.

Somewhat unsurprisingly, Chief Buckongahelas didn’t trust Wilkinson after hearing his second proposal. Initially, Buckongahelas intended to simply send an envoy to Prince Gilbert. However while staying in the Legion’s camp, the Chief would suffer nightmares of faceless demons and men, rains of pitch and the forests ablaze. These nightmares disturbed Buckongahelas, who would eventually come to take them as an omen of what would happen if Wilkinson’s plan was realized. On March 15th, Buckongahelas would take his leave, officially returning to the Lenapehoking, but in secret, Buckongahelas and the other chiefs would instead depart east for New York, the Chief filled with determination to avert the nightmares he had seen through an alliance with the American government, not Wilkinson.

Buckongahelas’ journey would take him through multiple towns throughout the Union where he would be met with increasingly warm receptions as word of Buckongahelas’ journey spread. After nearly a month, Buckongahelas arrived in Richmond where he met Chief Hoboi-Hili-Miko who was also enroute to New York along with thirty-one other Muscogee chiefs. The Muscogee Chief had been sent to try and formalize relations between the United States and the Muscogee. The two men would discuss ideas, with Buckongahelas taking particular interest in Hoboi-Hili-Miko’s idea of modernizing with “Indian Spirit, American technology.”

However it was as Chief Buckongahelas traveled through the Delaware valley that the Chief’s views began to change far more dramatically. Buckongahelas was a fairly old man by this point, he was born in what was now the U.S. state of Delaware and could remember how the land had appeared in his youth. Paponerom, Chief Buckongahelas’ part-time translator, would record how the Chief began to grow concerned that even if the Confederacy beat the Americans for now, the Americans would return as strong as ever, even as the Confederacy lost strength from its losses. And, more worryingly, if the Lenape forged an alliance, even if it was upheld by the Americans, the vast population of Americans would swallow the Lenape whole.

Upon arriving in New York, Chief Buckongahelas would once again meet with the Hoboi-Hili-Miko, discovering that the Muscogee chief shared in many of the same sentiments. Chief Hoboi-Hili-Miko’s hope had been that with all of the internal conflicts America had been forced to fight, the country would be weakened enough that the Muscogee, with his his centralizing efforts, would be able to throw back the Americans. However, despite the State of Georgia being devastated enough to capitulate to the Muscogee demands, Hoboi-Hili-Miko saw the formation of the Legions as a sign that the United States was potentially even more dangerous to the Muscogee now than ever before. The fact that Legion IV had been sent south for the express purpose of suppressing the Muscogee and Muscogee-aligned Transocconee made the situation even more clear. And so, Hoboi-Hili-Miko had come up with a plan.

The recently passed First Amendment ordained that there would be “Territories which are set aside for Residents,” so if the Muscogee joined the United States and had their lands ordained Territories “set aside,” the Muscogee could see protections directly from the American government. The move was extremely controversial amongst the Muscogee, with some powerful figures such as William Augustus Bowles opposing the move, however Hoboi-Hili-Miko managed to secure support from enough of the village chiefs to press ahead and attempt to get the Americans to accept the plan.

On May 8th, the Lenape Chiefs would meet with Director of the State, John Adams, and Prince Gilbert with whom they would discuss the prospect of an alliance between the Lenape and the Americans. Director Adams and Prince Gilbert would readily agree to an alliance however, during the conversation, the Director would mention Hoboi-Hili-Miko’s proposal to the Lenape Chiefs and ask whether or not the Lenape would consider such an arrangement. After discussing the situation with the Muscogee chiefs, Director Adams, as well as Director of the People Samuel Adams, both considered the idea of organizing native territories into something akin to the Roman Laeti to reinforce the fragile western, southern and northern borders and protect from encroachment by Britain, Spain or other hostile native tribes. While the proposal had yet to be formally brought before Congress, private discussions, as well as a few more public debates in pamphlets and newspapers which were likely spurred on by Hoboi-Hili-Miko, indicated that the idea would likely see support. Buckongahelas and the other Lenape Chiefs would state that they would consider such an arrangement if it guaranteed the Lenape would be able to protect their new Lenapehoking.

After the discussion of the alliance, the Lenape Chiefs were asked to testify about James Wilkinson’s proposal which they would do readily. Wilkinson had actually been implicated of treachery several weeks prior as a Spanish courier with instructions and payment intended for Wilkinson had already been intercepted, but the testimony of the Lenape Chiefs increased concern over the situation in the border regions and made the Lenape tribe’s reputation amongst the Americans improve significantly. A few months after the Lenape Chiefs gave their testimony, the increased concern led to Senator Benjamin Hawkins proposing the first version of an amendment to the Constitution that would authorize the creation of “Indian Laeti” before Congress. This amendment would eventually become the 3rd amendment to the United States Constitution.

Buckongahelas and the other Lenape chiefs had already departed New York before the amendment before Congress, returning westward with an alliance between the United States and the Lenape. The chiefs would return to find that news of the alliance had already reached the Northwest, with the new commanding officer (and U.S. Governor of the Northwest), Arthur St. Clair, having sent the Legion I to fight alongside the Lenape against the New Legion and other republican Patriot Corps who continued to pour into the Lenapehoking. On August 10th, a combined Lenape-Legion army, with Buckongahelas leading the Lenape portion, would strike the harshest blow against the New Legion up to that point at the Battle of Coshocton.

Coshocton had become the headquarters of one of the New Legion’s more influential commanders, Peleg Wadsworth, and served as a link between the New Legion held territory and Protectorate/Confederacy territory. While Wadsworth would die in the Battle, his loss led to the New Legion Patriot Corps already in the Northwest moving north and west into areas more firmly under the control of the Protectorate/Confederacy which cut down on republican presence in the Lenapehoking.