The Great Streamliner Races: San Fransisco, CA - San Diego, CA
During the 1930s, the State of California's rail travel was almost entirely dominated by the Southern Pacific and Santa Fe Railroads. Both railroads heavily operated passenger trains from Southern California to the San Fransisco Bay Area.

Around this time, the Southern Pacific sought to extend their Coast Line to San Diego to allow for more direct competition with Santa Fe. The SP eventually built a line via the coast, which became known as The Racetrack for its proximity to the Santa Fe's line between the same cities. This ultimately proved beneficial to such communities in the area as Anaheim, Irvine, and Orange County as the route would become a major source of employment, and was immediately profitable from when it started in March 1937. As for a pure freight line, the SP went further inland. Ultimately, it was decided to build the line from Santa Ana to El Cajon, where the San Diego & Arizona Eastern, their subsidiary, took them the rest of the way to San Diego. There, they would build their own station adjacent to the yard in that city to compete with Santa Fe. This would be the Southern terminus of all later SP trains running south from San Fransisco. With the inaugural run of the San Diego line being performed by MT-3 Mountain #4334.

The Southern Pacific objectively had the advantage over Santa Fe from the start. As not only was their route more scenic, but the speed and service was also at the upmost possible. Their services were highlighted with the Coast Daylight. Which was the most striking in its Orange, Red, and Silver livery. Though other more conventional trains like the Owl, Starlight and Lark also plied the line. Meanwhile, the Santa Fe ran via a route in the Central Valley, which was dominated by the Valley Flyer, hauled by 1337 Class Pacifics painted in a livery very loosely based on the Red and Silver Warbonnet scheme used on the 3460 Class Hudsons and the main passenger diesels.

Southern Pacific GS-3 #4416 was one of the many Lima-built 4-8-4s used on the Southern Pacific's Coast Daylight. Today, it's sister #4422 is preserved in the Grand Hall of the Great American Railroad Museum. Which is in the former CNJ Terminal in Jersey City, NJ.

image006.jpg

Santa Fe 1337 #1369 was one of the six Pacifics semi-streamlined for the Valley Flyer. Later it was fully streamlined in 1938 and remained such until 1943. Eventually, the 1369 would regain the semi-streamlining and be used by the San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society alongside 4-8-4 #3751.

Last edited:
Is that a non-OTL line from LA to SD? That's faster than the one used by trains today? Pre-war would be a good time to make that happen and it sure would be useful these days.

Is that a non-OTL line from LA to SD? That's faster than the one used by trains today? Pre-war would be a good time to make that happen and it sure would be useful these days.

The San Diego & Arizona line was real. But it didn't link LA and San Diego so the SP had to link itself with the line for that.

The SP's original route as people point out was one that looped all the way around, and if that can be fixed through new construction that's a benefit not only to the major cities but also to Anaheim, Long Beach, Orange County and all the communities along the coast.

The SP's original route as people point out was one that looped all the way around, and if that can be fixed through new construction that's a benefit not only to the major cities but also to Anaheim, Long Beach, Orange County and all the communities along the coast.

That's what I did with the newest post. You see, the SD&AE had a branch to Mojave, CA. As the Santa Fe already had taken the chance for a line along the coast, SP went inland where there was more land they could buy up to get to SD via a bypass. But the communities between that and Santa Ana will sure improve.

http://sdrm.info/history/sda/photos/sdamap2.jpg

Last edited:
The Illinois Central in the 1930s
During the 1930s, Illinois Central was among the railroads that were able to remain relatively strong. Its network from Chicago to the Southeast was one of the few single-management ones in the entire country, and they took great pride in reminding everyone of that.

However, the IC was willing to try anything. Which meant that in the Streamliner craze of the era, they introduced the Green Diamond. A speedy Chicago-St. Louis service run behind a special two-tone green diesel unit. Meanwhile, the Illinois Central worked with Lima to create stronger passenger engines for the Chicago-New Orleans Panama Limited. As such, they took influence from 4-6-4 #1, which had been rebuilt from a 2-8-4 as a failed freight engine. But as a passenger engine it proved to work better, and as such several refinements were made to create the 1 class Hudsons. In addition however, the IC would also work with Lima and their own Paducah, KY shops to build several 1900 Class 4-8-4s.

During the same time, the IC made to important gains. First off, by 1937, they had almost complete controlling stake in the Central of Georgia. A key trunk route in its namesake state. With which the IC would access the port of Savannah from Birmingham via Macon. Third, they used the new presence to make an agreement with the Seaboard Air Line to shuttle trains into Florida from Savannah. Next, it split the Tennessee Central with the Southern Railroad at Nashville. Then with the western half from Hopkinsville, KY, and trackage rights over the Nashville, Chattanooga, & St. Louis, had a complete link to all the major cities of Georgia.

Meanwhile, the IC also began to embrace its folkloric aspects. Of particular note would be 4-6-0 #382 and 2-8-0 #638. Both of which were driven by John Luther "Casey" Jones until he sacrificed himself in the cab of the former in 1900. Initially, it was planned to scrap both of these engines or sell them to another nation. However, the state of Mississippi ventured to purchase the two engines and place them on display. This was ultimately agreed to by the IC management, and both came down to be displayed in McComb in July 1934.

latest

2-8-0 #638, the lesser known of the two engines Casey Jones operated, nonetheless joined 4-6-0 #382 for display at McComb, MS.

ICGRNEMTPACPH.jpg

The 121 Train-set used on the Chicago-Springfield-St. Louis Green Diamond.

ic1.jpg

#1, the first of the 1 Class 4-6-4s, was actually rebuilt from 2-8-4 #7038, and was originally designed as a freight engine before it proved better on passenger trains. She and her class would first be seen on the Panama Limited until diesels came, then on other passenger trains in the same area of operations.

ic_2915_rcl_750.jpg

2900 Class 4-8-4 #2915. Her class would be one of the two 4-8-4 types the Illinois Central operated. Though her class mainly ran on the Chicago-New Orleans mainline as opposed to over the line from Memphis to Birmingham.

Last edited:
While it is a very interesting thread, I do find the focus on locomotives and named services a bit odd. Maybe it's my European bias showing? Named services aren't really a thing here. For me it's all about how the lines are aligned, top speeds (in actual service) & how well placed stations are for their role (passenger vs freight have very different needs). I guess that's why I crave maps ;)

I also feel like I lack knowledge of the railways of the era to really understand the differences and why this would be a better timeline for rail in the US. I guess what I'm asking for is footnotes at the end of chapters telling my what has gone differently and what the change means?

While it is a very interesting thread, I do find the focus on locomotives and named services a bit odd. Maybe it's my European bias showing? Named services aren't really a thing here. For me it's all about how the lines are aligned, top speeds (in actual service) & how well placed stations are for their role (passenger vs freight have very different needs). I guess that's why I crave maps ;)
I see...
I also feel like I lack knowledge of the railways of the era to really understand the differences and why this would be a better timeline for rail in the US. I guess what I'm asking for is footnotes at the end of chapters telling my what has gone differently and what the change means?
I prefer to approach my stories on this site as if they were actual history. Which why those footnotes are not usually present.

While it is a very interesting thread, I do find the focus on locomotives and named services a bit odd. Maybe it's my European bias showing? Named services aren't really a thing here.

Almost all passenger service in America is named, usually for the train that historically ran on that route, or the area that the train runs.

By the way, as this is my first post on this TL, it is really well done! Nice job Andrew!

The B&O's merger with the DL&W, CNJ and Reading had a profound effect on the railroads in the Northeast. The mighty Pennsylvania and New York Central could weather the competition with relative ease, but the smaller roads in the region quickly decided they must make countermoves or be left out in the cold. These countermoves resulted in two new systems, the B&O receiving an unexpected (and originally undesired) tenant, a new consolidation in New England, a reshuffling of some major routes, and a new passenger station in what was by the end of the 1930s the Keystone State's fourth largest city.

The Lehigh Valley was one of the first to respond, combining with the Wabash. The two roads had long enjoyed a friendly connection at Buffalo NY, and both had ties to the PRR. It was a natural combination, and the expanded LV could use the PRR's Penn Station in New York (spectacularly rebuilt in the 1960s into a multistory complex that included a bus terminal and the new Madison Square Garden perched atop the facility) for its long-distance trains.

Had the Van Sweringens' empire not fallen to the Depression, they might well have fought to keep the DL&W out of the B&O merger. But even without the Vans, their former lines maintained financial ties with one another, and they now began to huddle together. The B&O-DL&W merger had robbed the Nickel Plate Road of its eastern connection, while the Erie was both too anemic to fight back on its own and deeply nervous about the B&O expansion. At the same time the Chesapeake & Ohio was emerging as the financial leader of the group. The consolidation of the lines was effected in 1933 with the birth of the Chesapeake & Erie Railway Company. The new C&E merged the C&O, Erie, NKP, Hocking Valley, Pere Marquette, Wheeling & Lake Erie and Pittsburgh & West Virginia.

The C&E petitioned the Interstate Commerce Commission for the right of access to the B&O's new passenger terminal in Lower Manhattan, arguing that the Erie's old Jersey City terminal could not compete and that the C&E would be forced to curtail passenger service otherwise. The B&O, not wanting a major competitor in its new terminal, fought tooth and nail, but the ICC ultimately came down on the side of the C&E, and in 1936 C&E's passenger trains began operating out of the Manhattan terminal, passing onto the former Erie via a new connection at Croxton, New Jersey. The B&O eventually decided to make the best of the situation, charging C&E dearly for the privilege of renting space in the terminal.

Meanwhile, the PRR did open a campaign to purchase the Delaware & Hudson. But this would be an open invasion into the heart of NYC's home territory - PRR trains in ALBANY! - and the NYC went howling to the ICC in response. PRR had claimed ownership of the D&H was necessary to ensure the preservation of rail service to New England; this was a dubious argument at best, but the ICC found a different solution. The Boston & Maine would be allowed to take over the adjoining properties of the New Haven (it took a team of ICC lawyers some six weeks to untangle the New Haven's myriad leaseholds) and the NYC's Boston & Albany (note to NYC: be careful what you ask for). The new combined B&M would in turn be jointly owned by all the railroads accessing New England from the outside. The D&H would remain a feisty 770-mile independent line.

The B&O had meantime fashioned a new through route across the northern tier of Pennsylvania and New Jersey to New York City, via the purchased NYC line from Ashtabula to Williamsport PA; the ex-Reading from Williamsport to Northumberland; the ex-DL&W Bloomsburg Branch (upgraded) from Northumberland to Scranton; and the ex-DL&W mainline to New York. From Wilkes-Barre PA, the B&O could use the ex-CNJ and Reading lines to access Philadelphia.

However, this left the B&O with relatively little use for the former DL&W mainline west from Scranton to Buffalo. The B&O had its own line to Buffalo, and traffic from the Canadian roads was not yet so great as to inspire the B&O to keep the line. However, the line was valuable, as it had been expensively rebuilt in the early 1900s, including the spectacular Nicholson and Martins Creek viaducts. The B&O began looking for buyers, and soon had several.

The D&H and LV jointly purchased the section from Scranton to Binghamton NY. The section from Binghamton to Waverly NY was sold to the C&E. The LV alone bought the remaining line west from Waverly to Buffalo.

For the LV, this allowed a considerable shortening of its lines. LV trains could now use the Nicholson bridge line (with trackage rights on the B&O between Pittston and Scranton) instead of the twisting LV line along the Susquehanna River, which was downgraded to secondary status. The LV's branch from Binghamton to Sayre was rebuilt to mainline status to allow for continued use of the LV's shops at Sayre, just outside Waverly. From Waverly, the LV could then use the ex-DL&W to Buffalo. The LV's entire route west of Wilkes-Barre was thus significantly shortened (although most passenger trains west of Binghamton continued to use the old route via Ithaca and Rochester).

The D&H also found the ex-DL&W line useful, as it allowed the abandonment north of Forest City of the D&H's own mainline with its tough climb over Ararat Mountain. The D&H connected to the the ex-DL&W line via a new connection at Taylor Yard in Scranton.

(Next up: Steamtown, and a new passenger station for Wilkes-Barre).