Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

When you say Education should be of consideration, does that mean you're also going to rework Education traits? Or are you just going to have the vanilla education trait play a role on what you can build?

Just curious, because of your last post showing that you're also doing something about Governments.
A bit of both. Basically, the educational level of the province will act as a general barrier for the complexity of buildings that can be built in the province, symbolizing the amount of higher level educated professionals in the province - skilled craftsmen and architects, literate clerks and accountants, that kind of thing. In a way, it sort of acts as a development "wall", but will also have meaningful effects in the kind of events that will fire in the province itself - things like, say, business success will be more likely in a province where there is a well educated population to support this. The number one source of education in a province will be temple holdings, which (much like in our timeline) serve as temple schools to provide education for the "masses" and will be able to host a large number of improvements such as seminaries, cathedral and monastery schools and, later, universities.

These will act as a supporting gate to go alongside the existing technology system; the population can be well educated by medieval standards, but if the thing they need hasn't been invented yet, you're not suddenly going to be able to build up a cathedral when your people don't know what a rib vault is even if they have the know how to build it.

Now, the way this can be implemented is actually rather easy. CK2 has a function in its events to add and remove buildings, with this one being the one that adds shipyards for the Norse...

Code:
            any_demesne_title = {
                if = {
                    limit = {
                        tier = BARON
                        location = {
                            port = yes
                            culture = norse
                        }
                        owner = {
                            is_feudal = yes
                            culture = norse
                        }
                        NOT = { has_building = ca_shipyard_1 }
                    }
                    add_building = ca_shipyard_1

...and the wiki has documentation about a mirror function, remove_building. If the education level in the province is monitored by modifier (ie, the temple building causes an event to fire to set a modifier in the province like Education: Low), it can be added to holdings without being buildable by the player (you can set buildings to be just flat out impossible to build by having an impossible requirement) as a building that can be set as a requirement for other buildings and as a means for the game to identify different holdings with different levels of education in the province itself, and an event could be used to maintain it automatically by removing the existing buildings and adding new ones in to raise it up or lower it.

That let's you have literacy on a provincial level, and lets you marry a massive number of buildings to the educational level in the province itself. It's not so much about technology (which I'm taking it as it actually is: technology) but about the abilities of the population itself to carry out the work, and it allows certain buildings to activate or cease functioning without being destroyed when the population no longer has the expertise to operate them, for example.

I do think I'll add a few extra educational traits, but not to do with the regular educational system, but something to be layered on top - a sort of event system where a son or a daughter can be sent off to a temple school to learn, or go on to university and receive a classical style education in mathematics and art and history, something that doesn't really exist in the current game. That'd be a trait that goes alongside the regular educational system (you could have a university educated martial heir, for example, or a master of learning who only has a temple school education) and acts to strengthen it, whilst also making a good sink in the economy to keep coin flowing in and out of the player's coffers. That's a problem I've noticed in a lot of other building mods where they've added more money faucets but no money sinks to make up the extra income, which causes the economic balance to fall out of whack and leaves too much gold in the economy and lets you easily save into the thousands.

All this is pretty much doable, and actually rather easy to do. The hard part will be building the background events necessary to monitor the educational system's rise and fall, but that's not actually that difficult in its own right.

As for how the base game educational traits factor in, there's no real reason why you can't gate certain buildings behind them, as we know the game already has cultural buildings that work on a requirements list of cultures. Here's one:

Code:
    #Welsh and English Longbow archery range
    ca_culture_saxon_english_1 = {
        desc = ca_culture_saxon_english_1_desc
        potential = {
            OR = {
                culture = english
                culture = welsh
                has_building = ca_culture_saxon_english_1
            }
        }
        is_active_trigger = {
            ROOT = {
                OR = {
                    culture = english
                    culture = welsh
                }
            }
        }
        trigger = {
            TECH_CASTLE_CONSTRUCTION = 0
            ROOT = {
                OR = {
                    culture = english
                    culture = welsh
                }
            }
        }
        prerequisites = { ca_wall_2 }
        gold_cost = 200
        build_time = 730
        archers_offensive = 0.15
        archers = 60
        ai_creation_factor = 101

extra_tech_building_start = 0.8
    }
Strip out the is_active_trigger and there's no real reason why the building should be disabled or destroyed when the requirements, and you can actually see how the building sets itself as its own potential requirement so that its existence in the first place is enough to keep it on the map, even if the triggers to make it active aren't met...but if you were to put that has_building there, the building's existence in the first place is enough to keep it active even if you don't meet the triggers to build it.

That means that you can set a building to require a certain education or trait, but then have that building continue functioning for characters without that trait in the future, similar to how people can have one of the builder bloodlines in CK2 as it is now and build things like the Expanded Supply Depots and have them continue working even if they're not held by someone with the bloodline trait and who can't actually continue building down that line.

By that, you can tie education into the building system and make it a provincial thing at the same time, making it a lot more logical to pick things like stewardship or diplomacy educations even early in the game where martial would usually be king, simply because of what doors they open in provincial development - rather than there being just one truly viable path, there will a number of different ways to build towards success.

Good grief, this turned into a developer diary :p

Did you know Paradox slipped up while building Sweden's internal de jure structure? It's nothing major and it wouldn't actually be a slip up if it was in Victoria II, but in 1066 Varmaland should be jure part of the duchy of Vastergotland, not Bergslagen, and Narke the reverse.

Anyone else think that the Outremer culture offered for the Outremer Empire needs more flavor? It's supposed to be a fusion of French culture and the various cultures present in the Kingdom of Jerusalem (along with all the other lands of the Near East needed to form the Empire in-game), but it's really just French culture with a few Norman names and no real special features that 'pop' for me.

Any thoughts on a tweak(s) that has some realism to make it more interesting?

Anyone else think that the Outremer culture offered for the Outremer Empire needs more flavor? It's supposed to be a fusion of French culture and the various cultures present in the Kingdom of Jerusalem (along with all the other lands of the Near East needed to form the Empire in-game), but it's really just French culture with a few Norman names and no real special features that 'pop' for me.

Any thoughts on a tweak(s) that has some realism to make it more interesting?
Give it the raiding mechanic that some Arabic cultures have.

All I want is a cadet dynasty branch mechanic.

Blah.
Cadet dynasties didn't exist until after the game's timeframe and don't appear to have become an official concept until after Napoleon. Of some of the ones Wikipedia lists:

1. York: An unofficial name for Plantagenets descended from Edmund of Langley (I suppose Plantagenet itself would count, but that seems to be more of a case of the d'Anjous changing their name in the 14th century, which the customizer already accounts for). These are also the only one I could find within the game's timeframe (1385-1499).
2. Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg: The earliest "official" cadet branch I can find, with their founder born in 1545 - and even then, they don't become an official family until 1825.
3. Guise: Didn't branch of from Lorraine until 1528

There are the Capetian branches, but by all accounts those are post-facto designations historians use when a portion of the family becomes important, usually through ruling a specific duchy. Even then, with the possible exception of Capet-Anjou, they always seemed to refer to themselves as "Capet" in official documents - Louis XVI was even tried as Louis Capet, not Louis de Bourbon.

Cadet dynasties didn't exist until after the game's timeframe and don't appear to have become an official concept until after Napoleon. Of some of the ones Wikipedia lists:

1. York: An unofficial name for Plantagenets descended from Edmund of Langley (I suppose Plantagenet itself would count, but that seems to be more of a case of the d'Anjous changing their name in the 14th century, which the customizer already accounts for). These are also the only one I could find within the game's timeframe (1385-1499).
2. Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg: The earliest "official" cadet branch I can find, with their founder born in 1545 - and even then, they don't become an official family until 1825.
3. Guise: Didn't branch of from Lorraine until 1528

There are the Capetian branches, but by all accounts those are post-facto designations historians use when a portion of the family becomes important, usually through ruling a specific duchy. Even then, with the possible exception of Capet-Anjou, they always seemed to refer to themselves as "Capet" in official documents - Louis XVI was even tried as Louis Capet, not Louis de Bourbon.

It’s not like CK2 even tries to be 100% realistic

It’s not like CK2 even tries to be 100% realistic
CK2 is balkanisation heavy, EU4 is space-filling empires heavy, this has been a thing since those games were released and probably will stay that way, even though it's not necessarily the way those two time periods worked.

The main thing with CK2 and EU IV is that as games with numerical algorithms based off of real life, the savvy player can play the numbers and do what couldn't happen in real life.

I’ve been playing as the Nubian kingdom of Alodia, expanded a bit across Nubia and east Africa but haven’t gone on that much of a conquering spree as I’m content with my decently sized kingdom that’s easier to defend.

Anyway, I’ve been switching off between two names of my heirs, Dauid (David) and Raphael, since the starting character was Dauid II and he already had a son named Raphael. Thus my monarchs have been Dauid II, Raphael I, Dauid III and currently Raphael II.

Anyone else try to keep their rulers name list to a couple names?

Sometimes I do.

Usually, when I play the game, if the proposed name to a given child satisfies me, I just pick it. If it doesn't, I try to pick a name in the dynasty that is more to my liking or at least was worn by one of the character's ancestors.

At other times though, I kinda have the idea "Okay, every firstborn is gonna be named X" or other naming restrictions like this one. It really depends on my mood and on the degree of roleplay I'm willing to go for.

I’ve been playing as the Nubian kingdom of Alodia, expanded a bit across Nubia and east Africa but haven’t gone on that much of a conquering spree as I’m content with my decently sized kingdom that’s easier to defend.

Anyway, I’ve been switching off between two names of my heirs, Dauid (David) and Raphael, since the starting character was Dauid II and he already had a son named Raphael. Thus my monarchs have been Dauid II, Raphael I, Dauid III and currently Raphael II.

My Welsh/Balkan empire (fluke inheritance I decided to run with) has been ruled by three each of Llywellyns and Ysfaels; the IIs were coincidental but I've now started naming first and second sons one or the other.

I do have a tendency to try and ramp up my regnal numbers, especially in Byzzie games, and get a bit of an eye twitch when AI rulers pluck an utterly random name out of nowhere.

Does anyone else find the random stupid names used by youtubers and more casual players mildy irritating? Or should I probably just get over it?

Generally I find that in online contexts random stupid names have to be tolerated, because the process may very well be [had a good name in mind]->[found out it was already in use]->[tries to come up with another good name]->[finds out it was also already in use]->[gives up and just uses a random stupid name]