Alamgirnama: A Mughal Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
what will happen if Untouchables convert to other religions will they still remain Untouchables in such cases?

Is there a surge of Hindu Muslim Marriage among nobles? I am aware there were incidents of hindu woman marrying Muslim upper class, is the reverse also true in such timeline?

what will happen if Untouchables convert to other religions will they still remain Untouchables in such cases?

Is there a surge of Hindu Muslim Marriage among nobles? I am aware there were incidents of hindu woman marrying Muslim upper class, is the reverse also true in such timeline?

No they don’t legally remain untouchable if they convert but the social stigma remains- all it does is alienate them socially from other untouchables. Still perhaps that’s one of the reasons Qadis found this permissible under Islam.

There’s not really a surge of Hindu Muslim marriages per se, like there will be the odd couple but it’s definitely not commonplace and still carries a lot of social and religious stigma for a Muslim woman to marry a Hindu man.

Does Mughal have any plans for Nepal?

what is lay Muslim's view towards the Emperor's unorthodox view?

How much control the Emperor has over educational facilities? is he wishes to indoctrinate future ulemas towards his view though controlling their education?

is there a resurgence of Muʿtazila philosophy among Muslim scholars in India?

Does Mughal have any plans for Nepal?

what is lay Muslim's view towards the Emperor's unorthodox view?

How much control the Emperor has over educational facilities? is he wishes to indoctrinate future ulemas towards his view though controlling their education?

is there a resurgence of Muʿtazila philosophy among Muslim scholars in India?

Getting into stuff for future updates now. All I’m going to say is that for the lay Muslim, he’s the emperor, at the end of the day he does what he likes. Islamic tradition is clear that no matter how unjust the state tyranny is preferable to anarchy so rebellion is not gonna happen in any case. And to be fair he doesn’t seem too unorthodox at this point after all, he’s actually been to Mecca. Muslims are still mostly governed by plain old sharia law and the way that others are governed isn’t a matter of Islam anyway other than the tradition as established by older Mughals.

Getting into stuff for future updates now. All I’m going to say is that for the lay Muslim, he’s the emperor, at the end of the day he does what he likes. Islamic tradition is clear that no matter how unjust the state tyranny is preferable to anarchy so rebellion is not gonna happen in any case. And to be fair he doesn’t seem too unorthodox at this point after all, he’s actually been to Mecca. Muslims are still mostly governed by plain old sharia law and the way that others are governed isn’t a matter of Islam anyway other than the tradition as established by older Mughals.
is it possible be remove Khitan (circumcision) concept from Indian Islam, like Paul did to integrate Non-Jew converts? after all, Quran 4:119 forbids altering one's body, and 95:4 says man was created perfectly.

is it possible be remove Khitan (circumcision) concept from Indian Islam, like Paul did to integrate Non-Jew converts? after all, Quran 4:119 forbids altering one's body, and 95:4 says man was created perfectly.
Yeah it’s possible but I doubt it’s going to happen especially not top down- if any Islamic movements eschew circumcision which is an if, it would be a grassroots movement likely to be lost in the bewildering mosaic of India

Yeah it’s possible but I doubt it’s going to happen especially not top down- if any Islamic movements eschew circumcision which is an if, it would be a grassroots movement likely to be lost in the bewildering mosaic of India
maybe as a sort of compromise proposed by one of sufi organization through the use of religious conclave like Council of Jerusalem ?

I’d say this is the best update so far. The amount of detail put into the reforms is amazing, and greatly appreciated @Madhav Deval.

Few questions.
What is the state of India’s Jews? I assume that with increased trade they would be doing quite well, but you never know

Will the new Emperor reform the military? As far as I know, there was no real command structure in the Imperial Army, only the mansabdars. Introducing a regimental and proper command system will be important.

I imagine Jai Singh of Amer is very old by now, and has greatly reformed the Indian education system. Has he established any Oxford-style universities in India?

Is there any migration to Java, particularly from Hindus?

How are the Sikhs doing?

And any chance we’ll be getting a map soon?

Last edited:
Like the update! Indeed, it'll take a while to ingest everything of it at once. It's nice to reflect on the world of this TL Mughal Empire which hasn't fallen and remained strong as of result. Madhav, how long have you written this post? It's very nicely detailed, I'd say.

I’d say this is the best update so far. The amount of detail put into the reforms is amazing, and greatly appreciated @Madhav Deval.

Few questions.
What is the state of India’s Jews? I assume that with increased trade they would be doing quite well, but you never know

Will the new Emperor reform the military? As far as I know, there was no real command structure in the Imperial Army, only the mansabdars. Introducing a regimental and proper command system will be important.

I imagine Jai Singh of Amer is very old by now, and has greatly reformed the Indian education system. Has he established any Oxford-style universities in India?

Is there any migration to Java, particularly from Hindus?

How are the Sikhs doing?

And any chance we’ll be getting a map soon?

Thanks so much! India’s jews are chugging along, quite a few of them have happily fallen into the positions of business advisors and middlemen for the mansabdars, who dominate trade.

The Mughal army was reformed with the help of the french in return for commercial control of Lankas resources in order to fight the guérilla fighters in the southern rebellion around 1715 ish.

Yep Jai Singhs Chattuspathis are quickly becoming prestigious Oxford style institutions and the older universities are also experiencing massive expansion as they get a lot of new material.

Eh there aren’t all that many Hindus migrating at the moment apart from the merchant communities springing up and expanding- maybe when we have an industrial population boom.

You know I’m thinking I may have to give an update for the strength of a select few religious movements.

As for a map, there’s a couple of things I want to get through before that, but rest assured, it’s coming.

I wonder if the current Mughal empire will attempt to do what the Abbasid caliphs did prior to the Mongols, by turning Delhi into another Baghdad. He’s already partially doing it by writing more scripts in Sanskrit, but I can see him bringing over texts from Persia/Middle East to be translated.

I am continually amazed by the sheer amount of detail you put in your updates. I'm even more amazed that you can write the details in such an interesting way. It'd be easy for them to become dry and technical but they're just as fascinating as every other part of the update.

Looking forward to reading more.

Thanks so much! India’s jews are chugging along, quite a few of them have happily fallen into the positions of business advisors and middlemen for the mansabdars, who dominate trade.

The Mughal army was reformed with the help of the french in return for commercial control of Lankas resources in order to fight the guérilla fighters in the southern rebellion around 1715 ish.

Yep Jai Singhs Chattuspathis are quickly becoming prestigious Oxford style institutions and the older universities are also experiencing massive expansion as they get a lot of new material.

Eh there aren’t all that many Hindus migrating at the moment apart from the merchant communities springing up and expanding- maybe when we have an industrial population boom.

You know I’m thinking I may have to give an update for the strength of a select few religious movements.

As for a map, there’s a couple of things I want to get through before that, but rest assured, it’s coming.
On the wiki page for Java, it says that the population boomed as a result of new crops being introduced by the Dutch like Corn. Maybe that could happen earlier here as Hindus venture further inland? I would also think that the Emperors would institute strict environmental codes as well, keeping the many rivers of India and Bengal Delta clean. If implemented in Java, could we see the survival of the Javan Tiger and Elephant?

Also, has the Grant Trunk Road been extended to Samarkand? I think it would be a good idea as it would integrate it further into the idea of greater India.

Turkic Central Asia definitely needs to be integrated tightly into the Mughal/Indian fold. Expanding the Grand Trunk Road should be a top priority.

Turkic Central Asia definitely needs to be integrated tightly into the Mughal/Indian fold. Expanding the Grand Trunk Road should be a top priority.

I think that’ll happen organically with very little need for state interference, just because there are lots of indian traders operating in and around Samarkand, and they’ll be investing in infrastructure and agriculture which comes with the upgrading of already present infrastructure so it can count as part of the informal grand trunk road.

To a certain extent yes, with the exception of Buddhism- Islam in South Asia had a caste system. I wouldn't expect it to be of the same fortitude among Hindus though.

Status
Not open for further replies.