Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline)

How is the timeline so far?

• It's good

Votes: 198 64.5%
  • It's ok

Votes: 62 20.2%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's really bad

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • It's gone to the Alien Space Bats

Votes: 42 13.7%

• Total voters

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
My nicknames for each legion?
Philidelphia- the Firsters, or the Prouds
New York- the Yanks
Boston- the Indians or Tea spitters, box chuckers
Savannah- the Lions ( to themselves) the Blacks/among others (Smartasses in the other legions.....and civilians)

I really like these, and I might hijack a few of them when/if I ever do a more in-depth look at the Legions. The only region I'd give a nickname too right now would be the Legion IV as they are forbidden from entering their "home" city, they are the "Forbidden Legion." Now all that has to happen is have the Forbidden Legion take the Forbidden City.

Nice little hint. I think we've all been waiting for you to get back to the glorious empire.

Yeah, I've had a long string of updates in an American-centric timeline not be on America. It's nice to regain focus a bit.

And the vexilliums aren't much of a hint as I've already revealed the formation of the 3 new Legions in an update on Georgia, the next update is really just giving the story of the Northwest that's been in the background of a few other updates.

In my mind, a better hint would be
Nikist_Rally.jpg
as it indicates more on the exact nature of America's future but isn't specific enough to ruin everything.

In fact, it (like most of my other spoilers) keeps the focus on one very specific part of America's future, allowing for more surprises.

EDIT: IDK if I've ever said this before, but in case you all are curious as to why so many spoilers are from the late 1800s, early 1900s, it's because in the initial versions of this timeline that I worked on before ever posting here, the POD wasn't a monarchical USA but a later one. While a lot of things have changed, some elements remain, thus spoilers are clustered in that point.

I really like these, and I might hijack a few of them when/if I ever do a more in-depth look at the Legions. The only region I'd give a nickname too right now would be the Legion IV as they are forbidden from entering their "home" city, they are the "Forbidden Legion." Now all that has to happen is have the Forbidden Legion take the Forbidden City.
Why would Savanna, Georgia be forbidden?

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Why would Savanna, Georgia be forbidden?

Georgia's legislature forbids the Legion IV from entering Georgia as when it is first ordered to Georgia, the Georgian legislature panics and believes the Federal government is planning to dissolve Georgia due to the chaos the state is in after Walton and New Africa.

That isn't what was planned at all but the fear forces Georgia to get its act together. Afterwards it becomes a tradition more than actual legal situation.

EDIT: More info in this update.

Hello everyone! So, the next update isn't quite done still, but I believe I'll finish it tonight.

But, the next update has reference to the Legions of the United States, and I started banging together vexilliums for the four Legions that the United States has currently organized.

Thought you all might enjoy seeing these, and I'm curious to see what you all think of them.

That one nice legions you got there. Would be shame if something happen to them, like clashed with "certain" roman reject :evilsmile:?

Ever think of that possibility?

Last edited:
This left a slightly awkward situation at the peace negotiations as von Hiller was perfectly willing to give up Galicia and Poland was perfectly willing to accept it, but Poland’s ostensible ally, Russia, rejected any proposal for Poland to regain Galicia.
Maybe Russia could take Galicia then, as compensation for losses of southern lands to Ottomans?. :) It's Red Ruthenia after all.

Leopold’s capture led von Hiller to fear a betrayal of Austria by the uncrowned Emperor, that Leopold would surrender to Venice, Prussia and Britain in exchange for support against von Hiller’s government. Therefore, on September 16th, von Hiller declared the Habsburg monarchy suspended and that from this point forward, Austria, including her holdings in the Holy Roman Empire, Galicia and Bohemia would be split from Hungary to form the Commonwealth of Austria. Von Hiller would remain as Regent, however by von Hiller’s command, the royal house of Habsburg-Lorraine were forever removed from being eligible for the throne.
Ok. Very and very risky move, even as it temporary suspension. And Habsburg Austria is the last place where I would do that: it formed as multinational conglomeration of feudal domains under Habsburg dynasty and sudden removal of it by hardly legitimate military government looks very dangerous for that government, a it looses last pieces of its legitimacy.
And removal of half of territory from state (even if you do not control it)...

And some thoughts about aesthetic and ideological elements of US monarchy: Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Dark Ages Britain could be important symbol for new monarchy, as they could in eyes of intelectuals combine both monarchy (with such outstanding individuals as Penda, Offa etc) and democracy (with such institutions as Witenagemot and early medieval monarchs being "closer to people"). IOTL Jefferson even proposed seal with Hengist and Horsa:
Thomas Jefferson: The children of Israel in the wilderness, led by a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. For the reverse side of the seal: Hengist and Horsa, the two brothers who were the legendary leaders of the first Anglo-Saxon settlers in Britain.
Your monarchy use more reference to Ancient Rome (which is logical), but I think that Anglo-Saxons also could be popular as part of romantic past, which would become more popular with development of Romantism in early XIX century.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hello everyone! I know I said I should finish this update over a week ago, but I changed it in order to be more detailed and a bit less annihilatory to the native Americans. Anywho, the update's on the next post, but I wanted to respond first.

That one nice legions you got there. Would be shame if something happen to them, like clashed with "certain" roman reject :evilsmile:?

Ever think of that possibility?

I haven't ever watched Steins Gate, but I do think this would be pretty interesting. Honestly, I would like to see the American Legions right now fighting those legions to make the fight more fair.

But, now I am thinking. If I want to make this timeline truly dystopic I could have an American invent anime. (Amerimation?)

It's just great! Best take on the idea of monarchy in USA that I ever saw.

Thank you every much! I'm glad you like it!

Maybe Russia could take Galicia then, as compensation for losses of southern lands to Ottomans?. :) It's Red Ruthenia after all.

A Russian/Russian-satellite Galicia is one of the ideas I nearly went with, but I'm keeping the negotiations like this because the upcoming Revolution will "fix" everything.

Red Ruthenia's a pretty cool name though. I'm using this at some point.

Ok. Very and very risky move, even as it temporary suspension. And Habsburg Austria is the last place where I would do that: it formed as multinational conglomeration of feudal domains under Habsburg dynasty and sudden removal of it by hardly legitimate military government looks very dangerous for that government, a it looses last pieces of its legitimacy.
And removal of half of territory from state (even if you do not control it)...

This is pretty much the reason why von Hiller's government is basically a military with nothing else backing it for this reason. It's the English Protectorate with even less legitimacy.

And some thoughts about aesthetic and ideological elements of US monarchy: Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Dark Ages Britain could be important symbol for new monarchy, as they could in eyes of intelectuals combine both monarchy (with such outstanding individuals as Penda, Offa etc) and democracy (with such institutions as Witenagemot and early medieval monarchs being "closer to people"). IOTL Jefferson even proposed seal with Hengist and Horsa:

Your monarchy use more reference to Ancient Rome (which is logical), but I think that Anglo-Saxons also could be popular as part of romantic past, which would become more popular with development of Romantism in early XIX century.

Anglo-Saxon symbolism for the American monarchy is definitely a good idea, and I'll incorporate a small amount of it into the early America, but I'll use it more for when America gets big on Anglo-Saxon/German supremacy.

The American Legion Marches On

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
"The foundation of this great state of Indiana is of a homeland for the Indian Peoples. How then could we support measures to expel them from this state?"
--Allen Trimble

After the Battle of Kekionga and the death of Josiah Harmar, the young sub-Legion commander Andrew Jackson assumed control of Legion I until an official appointment from back east could be made. In contrast to Harmar who didn’t hold any particular hatred towards the natives, Jackson held an immense loathing towards the native Americans.

This loathing would drive Jackson to a more aggressive campaign against the Indian Confederacy-Charlotina Protectorate than Harmar. While the winter months approached, Jackson ordered the Legion north to attack the British-held Fort Lernoult. This led to conflict between the Legion and the Kentucky Militia led by François Hamtramck as Hamtramck wanted to return to Kentucky due to the approaching winter. The Kentucky Militiamen were growing tired of the campaign and had little desire to continue fighting so far away from their homes, especially on a winter campaign. Hamtramck was also fearful that a winter campaign would be disastrous due to the harshness of the Northwest winter.

Jackson refused to consider Hamtramck or the Kentucky Militia’s desires and concerns, leading to Hamtramck abandoning the Legion and returning to Kentucky. Despite this, Jackson would drive the Legion on, driving towards Fort Lernoult. Moral remained surprisingly high amongst the Legionaries; Jackson’s strength of will and determination inspired loyalty amongst his the soldiers of the Legion even as the rains turned to snow.

On December 19th, the Legion I, half-starving and raggard, reached Fort Lernoult, catching the British soldiers garrisoning the fort off guard, allowing for the Legion to successfully seize the fort with relatively little bloodshed. Jackson believed that the capture of Fort Detroit would be a crowning triumph of his leadership of the Legion. But, while the event was celebrated by the American people as a whole, the American government was set almost into a panic as fear that war with Britain could ensue. Jackson was stripped of his rank and initially discharged from the army. Fear of a new war prompted the Federal government to organize three more Legions (Legion II New York, Legion III Boston, Legion IV Savannah) to prepare for the British response.

The British response did not, as many feared, consist of a direct military response. Instead, the British began to blockade the United States in August, 1791. This blockade harmed American shipping, however it was relatively loose due to Britain being unable to dedicate very many ships to the blockade due to the Great Dutch War. Only one out of every two ships departing America would be affected by the blockade, and many more American ships would fly the flag of the Independent Republic of Rhode Island as Rhode Island wasn’t under the blockade.

Somewhat more critical for America was that Britain moved to strengthen their Charlotina Protectorate. General John Graves Simcoe was sent to the Protectorate along with six hundred British regulars to serve as the British authority to the protectorate. Simcoe and his forces arrived in Quebec City on August 20th where Simcoe would gather recruits before departing on September 18th with six hundred additional militiamen alongside the main force. As Simcoe’s army marched south, Little Turtle and the remains of the native army joined up with his forces, bringing the total size of the army up to 3400 when, on October 7th, Simcoe’s army reached Fort Lernoult.

American defenses of Fort Lernoult consisted solely of the largely depleted third subLegion of the Legion I, numbering about 300 men, allowing for Simcoe to lay siege to the fort with little effort. Legion II, under the command of James Wilkinson, had only arrived in Kentucky that September while the remainder of Legion I had been dispersed across the Ohio river valley in order to deal with other native tribes and the rapidly immigrating republicans. And it was in these republican forces that Simcoe found an unexpected ally in the remnants of the New Legion which had also crossed into the Ohio river valley.

Simcoe believed that through allying the New Legion and other republicans with the natives of the Indian Confederacy, the Charlotina Protectorate would gain a white population who would resist an American takeover and could be an acceptable group to rule the Protectorate in Britain’s name. In order to get this alliance, Simcoe worked to wrangle Little Turtle into calling a convention of the tribes. The convention would take place at the newly recaptured Fort Lernoult which fell on October 16th. After Britain reclaimed the fort, the British agent Alexander McKee was discovered to have been imprisoned by the 3rd subLegion. McKee was a trusted agent of Britain to the native tribes however he had been replaced by the new and less trusted Jonathan Vallwick after his arrest by the Americans for treason. After his arrest, McKee had managed to escape and fled north to Fort Lernoult, only to once again be arrested by the American garrison.

With McKee’s diplomatic skills assisting him, Simcoe was able to convince Little Turtle and the other native leaders into assembling an assembly of the tribes. Over the next month native leaders began to slowly make their way to Fort Lernoult where it became apparent that all sides desired separate things. Simcoe sought to strengthen Britain’s control over the Indian Confederacy, the native tribes desired to be left alone and the republicans wanted land to immigrate to the region. Buckongahelas, the chief of the Lenape tribe which had suffered the bulk of the republican immigration opposed an alliance with the republicans, seeking to expel them from the land his tribe held, the Lenapehoking. Other chieftains such as Blue Jacket of the Shawnee or Little Turtle recognized that the Confederacy simply could no longer hold against the American army and required British assistance. Thus, with Simcoe threatening to withhold British aid unless an alliance was forged, the leaders of all of the tribes except for Buckongahelas attempted to press forward with the alliance. The Lenape leaders would depart from Fort Lernoult that night. The Confederacy, in many ways the last chance for an independent native state, was fracturing.

Chief Buckongahelas would return to the Lenapehoking to a grim situation. Republicans continued to stream into the Northwest virtually unimpeded by the harsh weather of the approaching winter. Conflict was breaking out between the Lenape and Republicans, threatening to plunge their new homeland into chaos. But, without the prospect of assistance from the other tribes in the region, the Lenape were standing alone. Through the winter, Buckongahelas and the other Lenape chiefs would debate and argue the course of action their tribe would take until one conclusion was reached. The Lenape had one option, an unholy alliance, seemingly one as bad as an alliance with Hell itself.

Isn't the Lenapehoking on the Eastern Seaboard, in New Jersey, Philly, and thereabouts? Is this a new Lenapehoking settled by native refugees from the east settling in Charlotina? If so, it would make sense why the Lenape are so unwilling to budge on republican immigration.
This all seems likely to end in a stalemate of some kind, with the Patriot Corps still remaining in the Northwest but the US Principality winning the land they sit on. Everyone wins but the Brits and natives :,^)

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Isn't the Lenapehoking on the Eastern Seaboard, in New Jersey, Philly, and thereabouts? Is this a new Lenapehoking settled by native refugees from the east settling in Charlotina? If so, it would make sense why the Lenape are so unwilling to budge on republican immigration.
This all seems likely to end in a stalemate of some kind, with the Patriot Corps still remaining in the Northwest but the US Principality winning the land they sit on. Everyone wins but the Brits and natives :,^)

The term Lenapehoking is actually of some dispute in origin, it might be a historical name for the original homeland of the Lenape tribe which is on the Eastern Seaboard, but that usage might be a later invention. As far as I can figure however, the term directly means the land settled by the Lenape tribe and since the Lenape tribe by this point has largely been forced into roughly what is OTL south Ohio, that land becomes the Lenapehoking.

It'll make a little more sense in context for TTL.

OTL south Ohio, that land becomes the Lenapehoking.

Ah this makes more sense, I was wondering if the Ohio war had somehow moved into Quakerland for whatever reason.
But man, this does make the Lenape sympathetic. Although if they do what they're about to do, I doubt they'll get much sympathy from future TTL generations.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Ah this makes more sense, I was wondering if the Ohio war had somehow moved into Quakerland for whatever reason.
But man, this does make the Lenape sympathetic. Although if they do what they're about to do, I doubt they'll get much sympathy from future TTL generations.

I don't know why this is what came to my mind, how I would see that going down is Little Turtle just rolling up into Pennsylvania and telling Buckongahelas:

"Get in the Confederation loser, we're beating up the white man."

with Caleb Bennett just looking on in the background.

But the Lenape are probably going to be the best received of the Northwest tribes, at least from the American perspective.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hello everyone! So, no update, but I decided that hey, I can plug for the Turtledoves too. My timeline's nominated again, and while I don't expect to win (who can compete with What Madness is This?), I would like to see if Death of a Republic can make it into the top half this year!

Also, on a less interesting note, I ordered a flag IRL. I can now show my patriotic loyalty to the Emperor! When I get a bit of spending money, I plan on buying a few of the other flags that I'm particularly proud of to see how they look as actual flags.

Fleg.jpg

And, just for fun, I made a very not serious TLDR for this timeline.

How Republicans perceive the monarchy:
USA_IRL.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone! So, no update, but I decided that hey, I can plug for the Turtledoves too. My timeline's nominated again, and while I don't expect to win (who can compete with What Madness is This?), I would like to see if Death of a Republic can make it into the top half this year!

Also, on a less interesting note, I ordered a flag IRL. I can now show my patriotic loyalty to the Emperor! When I get a bit of spending money, I plan on buying a few of the other flags that I'm particularly proud of to see how they look as actual flags.

View attachment 442610

And, just for fun, I made a TLDR for this timeline.

That's not completely accurate. From what I can tell the tyrants don't really start coming out of the woodwork until after ol' Gilbert has kicked the bucket. I'm guessing that there'll be periods where, like the Japanese Shogunate, the monarch (whatever the final title's going to be) is a mere figurehead whereas the real power is concentrated in the hands of the Dictator. At least one city could be developed as the "Royal Capital" in a place where they can stay in contact while keeping the royal family in a gilded cage.

Considering that secession's clearly much more common than OTL there's evidently more than a few people willing to take you up on that.

Considering that secession's clearly much more common than OTL there's evidently more than a few people willing to take you up on that.
Schnozz has already hinted at what will be seperate from the Empire, but i recall asking and being told that it would still be cross continental in size, so in that im relieved. Also let the traitors leave!

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
That's not completely accurate. From what I can tell the tyrants don't really start coming out of the woodwork until after ol' Gilbert has kicked the bucket. I'm guessing that there'll be periods where, like the Japanese Shogunate, the monarch (whatever the final title's going to be) is a mere figurehead whereas the real power is concentrated in the hands of the Dictator. At least one city could be developed as the "Royal Capital" in a place where they can stay in contact while keeping the royal family in a gilded cage.

Yeah, I get you. I just thought it was a humourous oversimplification of the situation (and it would be how the Republicans perceive the situation). I might not want to reference it as a serious TLDR, especially since there will probably be a few new readers who might take it too literally.