Status
Not open for further replies.
Could I possibly get a full list of all the countries which are better off iTTL than IOTL? Also, your map of the world is a huge inspiration for me to do my own AH. I'm interested in the larger Morrocco especially.

Could I possibly get a full list of all the countries which are better off iTTL than IOTL? Also, your map of the world is a huge inspiration for me to do my own AH. I'm interested in the larger Morrocco especially.

I think "better off" is difficult to define, for white Rhodesians and Pied Noirs life is has surely been better recently, but it's debatable whether the native Algerians and native Shona are better off in this timeline than in ours(for the Algerians most likely worse)

Zollverein Railways
gxv0Gkq.png

hQjN3eE.png

The Niederländisch-Belgisch-Luxembourgisch-Deutsch-Österreichisch-Tschechisch-Polnisch-Litauisch-Lettlandisch-Estlandisch-Ungarische Eisenbahnbund also known as the Deutsche Reichsbahn (and other names) is the State Railway Company of Germany. The company was founded in 1954 as a union of the Deutsche Reichbahn and the České státní železnice, done to coordinate the two for an expected attack by the Soviet Union. When no such attack materialised, the two maintained the union, which proved to be beneficial in the improvement of the rolling stock of both countries, as well as improvements to signalling and trackage. With a focus on ensuring high speeds between Berlin and Prague, the two countries inaugurated the first high-speed rail in Europe in the mid 1960s, reaching speeds of 190 km/h. The success of the company and the fall of the Krebs Regime in Austria led to the country merging its rail network with the Deutsche-Tschechisch Eisenbahnverband to form the Mitteleuropäische Eisenbahngesellschaft. Liechtenstein would join in 1970. A series of poor financial decisions in the early portions of the 1970s led the semi-private company to fall under the complete control of the German Government. At the advice of Chancellor Wischnewski and the urging of the governments of Austria and Czechia, the decision was made to liberalise the board of the company, with each country the company owned rail in being given a vote on the Board of Directors, with Germany only retaining two votes (their appointed member and the Reichsminister for Transit). At this time, only Germany and Liechtenstein's network were fully owned by the Mitteleuropäische Eisenbahngesellschaft, with only Austria having less than half of their network nationalised. The move made membership in the company more palatable for the Benelux countries, who had long resisted integration into the Mitteleuropäische Eisenbahngesellschaft despite their membership in the Zollverein.

Under the leadership of Chancellor Gerhard Krüger of the Zollverein Ministerium, the majority of the Benelux railways were integrated into the expanded system, and the company was renamed to the Niederländisch-Belgisch-Luxembourgisch-Deutsch-Österreichisch-Tschechisch Eisenbahnbund. The name is translated into the language of the local country in which it operates, but is normally called the Deutsche Reichbahn in Germany, and the "Zollverein Railway" in other countries. Under the newly ratified rules, each country had an equal say in its operation, and all countries funded the company in proportion to the trackage under control of the railway. Under the leadership of German Chancellor Paulina Kistler, Germany enacted the first major continental-wide engineering project with the construction of several thousand kilometres of high-speed rail lines from Berlin to each capital city of Zollverein members, as well as major improvements and triple/quadruple trackage to other major German cities. The period was known as the Bauzeit in Germany, encompassing most of the 1980s, where Germany reinvested in its infrastructure and laid the groundwork for the close cooperation and interconnected nature of central Europe. The period was highly prosperous for Germany and the Zollverein, with passenger and freight speeds being the highest on the planet. For several years, the company operated a five hour service between Amsterdam and Triest.

After the Fall of Communism in Central and Eastern Europe and the End of the Cold War, the Zollverein quickly expanded to encompass both Slovakia and Poland. In an effort to raise money, Poland's government quickly sold off trackage to Germany, until a 2008 report concluded that Germany owned 70% of all rails within Poland. The programme was halted, and Poland has since attempted to purchase back the lines to no avail. Slovakia's government refused to consider selling off their lines, and thus remain the only country in continental Europe who is a member of the Zollverein to not have portions of its track owned by the Railway. The mid 2000s saw the Railway invest heavily Poland, linking Wilno, Lwów, Warsaw, and Katowice to the greater high speed network, as well as increased density in western Germany and the Netherlands, including a line between Groningen and Lübeck. With the entrance of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia, the company came to its current name. In 2011, the largest infrastructure package to ever pass the German Reichstag in one bill was passed, to take possession and upgrade the majority of the rail network in the Baltic countries and East Prussia. With the move being approved by the Bundesversammlung shortly after, the Zollverein would share half of the cost with Germany.

In 2013, an agreement with Hungary allowed for the company to purchase trackage to Kolozsvár, the first non-Zollverein country to have the company's tracks travel through it. In August of 2018, talks between the Soviet Union and Germany have been underway for an extension of the Tartu Line to Leningrad, which would become the first high-speed rail in the Soviet Union, and reconnect the Soviet Union to the broader European Passenger Railway Network, having been isolated since the 1930s.

Y1mPVut.png

gxv0Gkq.png

hQjN3eE.png

The Niederländisch-Belgisch-Luxembourgisch-Deutsch-Österreichisch-Tschechisch-Polnisch-Litauisch-Lettlandisch-Estlandisch-Ungarische Eisenbahnbund also known as the Deutsche Reichsbahn (and other names) is the State Railway Company of Germany. The company was founded in 1954 as a union of the Deutsche Reichbahn and the České státní železnice, done to coordinate the two for an expected attack by the Soviet Union. When no such attack materialised, the two maintained the union, which proved to be beneficial in the improvement of the rolling stock of both countries, as well as improvements to signalling and trackage. With a focus on ensuring high speeds between Berlin and Prague, the two countries inaugurated the first high-speed rail in Europe in the mid 1960s, reaching speeds of 190 km/h. The success of the company and the fall of the Krebs Regime in Austria led to the country merging its rail network with the Deutsche-Tschechisch Eisenbahnverband to form the Mitteleuropäische Eisenbahngesellschaft. Liechtenstein would join in 1970. A series of poor financial decisions in the early portions of the 1970s led the semi-private company to fall under the complete control of the German Government. At the advice of Chancellor Wischnewski and the urging of the governments of Austria and Czechia, the decision was made to liberalise the board of the company, with each country the company owned rail in being given a vote on the Board of Directors, with Germany only retaining two votes (their appointed member and the Reichsminister for Transit). At this time, only Germany and Liechtenstein's network were fully owned by the Mitteleuropäische Eisenbahngesellschaft, with only Austria having less than half of their network nationalised. The move made membership in the company more palatable for the Benelux countries, who had long resisted integration into the Mitteleuropäische Eisenbahngesellschaft despite their membership in the Zollverein.

Under the leadership of Chancellor Gerhard Krüger of the Zollverein Ministerium, the majority of the Benelux railways were integrated into the expanded system, and the company was renamed to the Niederländisch-Belgisch-Luxembourgisch-Deutsch-Österreichisch-Tschechisch Eisenbahnbund. The name is translated into the language of the local country in which it operates, but is normally called the Deutsche Reichbahn in Germany, and the "Zollverein Railway" in other countries. Under the newly ratified rules, each country had an equal say in its operation, and all countries funded the company in proportion to the trackage under control of the railway. Under the leadership of German Chancellor Paulina Kistler, Germany enacted the first major continental-wide engineering project with the construction of several thousand kilometres of high-speed rail lines from Berlin to each capital city of Zollverein members, as well as major improvements and triple/quadruple trackage to other major German cities. The period was known as the Bauzeit in Germany, encompassing most of the 1980s, where Germany reinvested in its infrastructure and laid the groundwork for the close cooperation and interconnected nature of central Europe. The period was highly prosperous for Germany and the Zollverein, with passenger and freight speeds being the highest on the planet. For several years, the company operated a five hour service between Amsterdam and Triest.

After the Fall of Communism in Central and Eastern Europe and the End of the Cold War, the Zollverein quickly expanded to encompass both Slovakia and Poland. In an effort to raise money, Poland's government quickly sold off trackage to Germany, until a 2008 report concluded that Germany owned 70% of all rails within Poland. The programme was halted, and Poland has since attempted to purchase back the lines to no avail. Slovakia's government refused to consider selling off their lines, and thus remain the only country in continental Europe who is a member of the Zollverein to not have portions of its track owned by the Railway. The mid 2000s saw the Railway invest heavily Poland, linking Wilno, Lwów, Warsaw, and Katowice to the greater high speed network, as well as increased density in western Germany and the Netherlands, including a line between Groningen and Lübeck. With the entrance of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia, the company came to its current name. In 2011, the largest infrastructure package to ever pass the German Reichstag in one bill was passed, to take possession and upgrade the majority of the rail network in the Baltic countries and East Prussia. With the move being approved by the Bundesversammlung shortly after, the Zollverein would share half of the cost with Germany.

In 2013, an agreement with Hungary allowed for the company to purchase trackage to Kolozsvár, the first non-Zollverein country to have the company's tracks travel through it. In August of 2018, talks between the Soviet Union and Germany have been underway for an extension of the Tartu Line to Leningrad, which would become the first high-speed rail in the Soviet Union, and reconnect the Soviet Union to the broader European Passenger Railway Network, having been isolated since the 1930s.

Y1mPVut.png
Amazing. Just Amazing. 1 thing: are there any potential Zollverein candidates?

Also, can you do a wikipedia infobox about modern Germany with stuff like its GDP?

South African terror

World map awesomeness

I like trains

Arghh! The awesomeness! My poor little brain cannot comprehend such beauty!

In all seriousness, this is some absolutely amazing work right here. This is some of the best work you've produced on this timeline, and given the outstanding quality of it all, that is high praise.

I will say I feel very awkward liking the flag of Vhembeland...

Now, the inevitable barrage of questions...

• Based on what's been said about Namibia and Hurueno, did Germany get to keep their colonies after WW1? Did they get them back later?
  • If South Africa was so anti-Anglo, why did they leave the Union Jack on their flag?
  • The September Agreement was only an armistice, so the Commonwealth and South Africa are still technically at war Korea-style, right?
  • What are the demographics of South Africa like? Based on the number of genocides and explusions, I'm guessing it's majority-Afrikaner by now?
  • As a lead on, how much does the outside world know about South Africa? It is left blank on the HDI map for example, so is it a complete hermit kingdom? Do they let in outside visitors or is the only information we get from defectors?
  • Is Christiaan Pieterse a more moderate or hardliner South African leader?
  • Based on the fact that Burma is left blank in the governmental systems map, does that mean it's still basically anarchy?
  • Why is Iran an observing member of the Partnership of the Americas?
  • Given that Kampuchea has 2 million less people than OTL Cambodia, can we assume it is a very nasty place to live?
  • Why did Kurdistan go communist and when did it gain its independence?
  • Does Argentina want the Falklands?
  • Why was Mbabane renamed Eswatini?
  • How communist is the PR Congo?
  • The flags are beautiful! I especially like the flags of Papua, the Gold Coast, Colombia and India.
Again, this is amazing and I'm definitely not doing this for my TL too.

Ireland looks very lonely in the rail map.

And why did you have to make a map of high speed rail in your universe just before I did mine? Now it looks like I'm copying you...
From here on out - everything is set in stone. Now, it's time to dive into European history and modern politics! Get ready!

I have been ready for a long, long time. Here we go!

Status
Not open for further replies.