Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Connery is my Favorite Bond.
I like the Current one.
Roger Moore is the first Bond I ever seen in "The Spy who Love Me." "For Eyes Only" prove that Moore could be a serious Bond but the Producers kept writing Moore Bond as a Character in a Comedy movie.

Connery is my Favorite Bond.
I like the Current one.
Roger Moore is the first Bond I ever seen in "The Spy who Love Me." "For Eyes Only" prove that Moore could be a serious Bond but the Producers kept writing Moore Bond as a Character in a Comedy movie.

I like what I have seen of Daniel Craig. At one point had his poster. Pierce Brosnan is someone I like but not as Bond. It wasn't his fault.

I love the Moore movies because as a kid those were the very first ones I saw on TV back when they used to run marathons. They have sentimental value. Seeing 'A View To A Kill' on TV about 25 years ago is what made me a Grace Jones fan. She just fascinated me from the get go.

Granted Moore also starred in 'Moonraker' which was a heaping pile of garbage. Especially sandwiched between my two favourite films in the series.

Last edited:
Sam talks The Pale Horse: An Intro
Cult movie star and character actor Harris Walker being interviewed on tape by Nolan Hendricks, circa 1988/89. Interviews later released with full permission of Harris Walker for a project by Nolan called Conversations with Harris.

The tape picks up where it left off, but Sam Westwood is now joining them.

Nolan: Sam, thank you for agreeing to this.

Sam: It was no problem. I wanted to sit down with you but felt that given the circumstances, you should sit with your--

Harris: He's comfortable just calling me Harris.

Sam: Right. With Harris first.

Harris: Nolan wanted to ask you about 'The Pale Horse'.

Sam: That movie was something Universal developed for me. It was a quick shoot, but nice because it was a location shoot.

Nolan: Was it your first time out of the country?

Sam: Yeah. I was really excited. I finally got to travel for work!

Nolan: It was not a modernized period piece, right? The plot seemed more contemporary.

Sam: It was a later Agatha Christie novel from, uh, 1961. So it wasn't a period piece which meant it was cheaper for Universal to shoot. I think after 'Mary Rose', it seemed like a logical step.

Nolan: Which would explain the casting of Fay Compton--

Sam: Fay Compton was just the best choice for the role. I had a diction coach, but Fay helped me out a little with my accent.

Harris: He was pulling a Meryl Streep before Meryl Streep!

The three chuckle

Sam: Fay and I were attached to the project when it was in development, but I found out later they had a really hard time casting the role of Ginger. Universal wanted either Charlotte Rampling or Jackie Bisset. Charlotte Rampling had another project--

Nolan: Was that 'Three'?

Sam: Yeah, it must have been. I don't know.

Nolan: With Sam Waterston--

Sam: I remember someone at Disney wanting to change my name to 'Dak Armstrong' which is completely Godawful

Sam is heard laughing

Harris: There was Dack Rambo.

Sam: I just wanted to use my name, even if a bunch of other people already had it.

Nolan: Was that common? Being mistaken for say, Sam Elliott?

Sam: Oh Yeah. Or they'd see me and think I was a similar looking actor. Harris used to get Harrison Ford a lot because they would just hear 'Harris'

Harris: And not 'Harri-son'

Or people would call me 'Harris Yulin'. I wasn't insulted by that because Harris Yulin can act.

Harris chuckles

Sam: So can you.

Harris: Act?

Sam: Yeah.

Nolan: Harris, you don't give yourself enough credit.

Nolan: Is it true they wanted Twiggy before Helen Mirren was cast?

Sam: Twiggy almost got cast. Jill Haworth read for it at some point. Helen Mirren is fantastic, though. We were the same age, but when I was doing 'Fireball 500', she was with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

She treated me like an equal, though and I enjoyed that shoot. It could have been scary but I had to learn to not let other people's credentials intimidate me--

Sam talks The Pale Horse: II
Cult movie star and character actor Harris Walker being interviewed on tape by Nolan Hendricks, circa 1988/89. Interviews later released with full permission of Harris Walker for a project by Nolan called Conversations with Harris.

The tape picks up where it left off, but Sam Westwood is now joining them.

Nolan: What really fascinates me about 'The Pale Horse' is Christopher Lee as Mr Venables.

Sam: Harris and I can both attest that Christopher Lee is a great guy. And he was brilliant in that role. He took that because he wanted to do something other than a Hammer movie for a change. And--I don't want to give away the plot but he still got to play a pretty shady character.

Harris: That's my favourite of Sam's 60s films.

Sam: It had a really amazing cast. Sort of a mish-mash of stage actors and horror icons.

Nolan: Adrienne Corri, who played Thyrza Grey--

Sam: She did both live theatre and horror films. Eleanor Bron, who played Poppy Stirling had also been in 'Help!' with The Beatles and 'Bedazzled' with Dudley Moore and Peter Cook--

Harris: When I worked with Vincent Price he had just done 'Madhouse' with Adrienne Corri. That was a really--It was a disgusting movie but you couldn't look away from it. And I liked the whole plot concept.

I'd say she was up there with Vincent Price and Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Or at least she should have been equal to them.

Nolan: I remember her best from 'A Clockwork Orange'

Harris: I never liked that movie. Visually it was stunning, though.

Sam: I found it really dark.

Nolan: Sam, during the 'Pale Horse' shoot, you did a session with David Bailey who was a very popular fashion photographer--

Sam: Yes. Twiggy dropped by and appeared in a few shots. I just wore what suited me and wasn't particularly comfortable when people paraded me around as a style icon or a sex symbol. It was weird. That said, the shoot with Bailey was fun. But I was also on set a lot and I did a favour for Edward O'Malley and did two days on 'Nothing Lasts Forever'. I almost burned myself out. That would worry Dick Clayton so he'd try and talk me out of taking on too much at once.

Anyway, I didn't really relate to the fashion crowd but Twiggy is an incredibly nice person who I worked with again years later.

Harris: I liked Twiggy. She was different. She is very bright but did you ever see that interview footage where Woody Allen tried to make her look thick?

Nolan: No, but I have heard about it.

Harris: He asked her about philosophers, you know to try and set her up. It was her first trip over here. As someone who got treated like a dunce, I felt really bad for her.

Nolan: You had a walk-on role in 'Annie Hall'--

Harris: Yeah but that doesn't mean I like his humour.

Sam: Harris and I both know what it's like when people try to make you look like an a**.

Harris: We both went through that. I was perceived as being a good-looking guy with no brains who was a complete weirdo. Possibly unstable and a drunkard. Parties were brutal. That was like the two years of high school I missed right there.

Sam: If I was with him, Elizabeth did this too, if one of us were with him and we felt he was being dismissed, we would make sure he was part of the conversation. Eventually, he learned to do it on his own without us.

With me, I think people just wanted to tear me down because they felt like I was living a lie.

Harris: Because Sam had a reputation for being really, really nice, it was impossible to find any unflattering stories about him.

Sam: My ego doesn't need to be inflated, Harris--

Vincent Price he had just done 'Madhouse' with Adrienne Corri. That was a really--It was a disgusting movie but you couldn't look away from it. And I liked the whole plot concept.
I did not find Madhouse any more disgusting then either of the Dr. Phibes Movies or Theater of Blood.
But I think all three of those are better movies than Madhouse.

I did not find Madhouse any more disgusting then either of the Dr. Phibes Movies or Theater of Blood.
But I think all three of those are better movies than Madhouse.

Well yeah, 'Theatre Of Blood' is the better movie but try telling Harris that.

The opinions of the guys aren't necessarily my own.

Last edited:
I've been wondering, If this timeline were to continue to the 80s onwards I could see Harris and Sam being offered roles for a David Lynch film or TV show.

A lot of David Lynch films often contain interesting casting choices ranging from former famous 50s actors to some guy on set with some acting experience so it isn't too out there for Sam and Harris to be offered a role.

I've been wondering, If this timeline were to continue to the 80s onwards I could see Harris and Sam being offered roles for a David Lynch film or TV show.

A lot of David Lynch films often contain interesting casting choices ranging from former famous 50s actors to some guy on set with some acting experience so it isn't too out there for Sam and Harris to be offered a role.

If anyone were to work with David Lynch, I have a feeling it would be Harris.

Saw his documentary and couldn't decide if Lynch was a genius or stark raving mad.

If anyone were to work with David Lynch, I have a feeling it would be Harris.

Saw his documentary and couldn't decide if Lynch was a genius or stark raving mad.
"Sam, I got a role..."
"Cool who is it with?"
"David Lynch"
"Was he the guy that did that weird black and white film with the horrifying baby?"
"...Yeah, that's him"
"I get the feeling he's weird"
"Oh yeah he's weird...but hey a roles a role is a role"

--//--

Anyway to answer your question about David Lynch I would best describe as a mad genius who decided to do art and film and has some supernatural ability to woo women (seriously David Lycnh is catnip for ladies on his film sets).

"Sam, I got a role..."
"Cool who is it with?"
"David Lynch"
"Was he the guy that did that weird black and white film with the horrifying baby?"
"...Yeah, that's him"
"I get the feeling he's weird"
"Oh yeah he's weird...but hey a roles a role is a role"

--//--

Anyway to answer your question about David Lynch I would best describe as a mad genius who decided to do art and film and has some supernatural ability to woo women (seriously David Lycnh is catnip for ladies on his film sets).

I tried to sit through 'Eraserhead' once and had to shut it off.

Last edited:
I tried to sit through 'Eraserhead' once and had to shut it off.
It is definitely an odd and creepy film, especially that baby...that goddamn breathing baby. It isn't for everyone I completely agree. Although the "In Heaven" scene is probably one of my film scenes ever (if you haven't seen I recommend it).

I prefer Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me, Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart (I could see Harris in a Wild at Heart style film).