Legacies: An Alternate 1950s and Onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction
"When a great man dies, for years the light he leaves behind him, lies on the paths of men."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

upload_2019-2-19_16-41-7.png

Author’s Note: Hello! This is my first professional and researched timeline that I will be making! I am very excited to share my take on the 1950s with some...different events. The First Chapter should be up some time Thursday or Today!

Sources
(Will Be expanded in the future)

Last edited:
"When a great man dies, for years the light he leaves behind him, lies on the paths of men."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

View attachment 441860

Author’s Note: Hello! This is my first professional and researched timeline that I will be making! I am very excited to share my take on the 1950s with some...different events. The First Chapter should be up some time Thursday or Today!

Sources
(Will Be expanded in the future)

Your initial post has me interested! :) I'm glad to see you taking a stab at your first TL and I look forward to reading what you come up with. :D

Chapter 1: the Passing of a Great Man

September 1955

On a lazy Saturday afternoon in September 1955, President Dwight Eisenhower took a short break from the Presidency to enjoy some golf, his favorite pastime, Things were normal for most of the Afternoon as Eisenhower made it to the 8th Hole without issues but then began reporting indigestion. He was later called off the field when he was asked to speak with Secretary of State John Foster Dulles.

Later in the early morning the Next day, Eisenhower reported chest pains. White House Physician Maj. Gen. Howard Snyder was rushed to the scene where he misdiagnosed the pains as a symptom of Indigestion. Eisenhower felt satisfied with the answer and remained stubborn about affirming this conclusion...The pains persisted into the afternoon but Eisenhower would deny the need for future medical tests and instead to basic painkillers like Ibuprofen and Aspirin.

On September 25th, 1955 at 9:21 PM, Eisenhower collapsed suddenly...His staff was utterly stunned and rushed him to the nearby Fitzsimons Army Hospital, doctors would attempt to resuscitate the old war hero, but all methods of revival seemed to be rendered completely and utterly moot. it was at 10:50 PM with teary eyes doctors would inform Eisenhower's Wife, Mamie, that her husband and the love of her life was dead, As he had suffered Cardiac Arrest.

Maj. Gen. Snyder would contact Vice President Richard M. Nixon , who was at an Airfield in Washington D.C. about to fly to Colorado to see Eisenhower, to notify his assumption of the Oval Office.

Snyder: “Sir, I have to inform you that Dwight Eisenhower is dead, he died on his way to the Hospital at 10:47 Tonight. It was a heart attack.”

Nixon: “Jesus Christ… Alright, I need to get to the White House, Contact the NYSE and ask them to close the Market, we can’t risk a plunge.”

• From tape of Snyder informing Nixon about Eisenhower’s death, released in 1997

Nixon rubbed his forehead, his heart was pounding and he began to sweat heavily. He would be rushed to the White House where he would take the Oath of Office to assume the highest position of Leadership in the free world. In the immediate aftermath of Eisenhower’s death, the world was shocked that such an optimistic and positive figure could be gone within a few short hours... This lead to many world leaders expressing their condolences including Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev and British Prime Minister Anthony Eden. President Nixon knew that he had to address the nation after the death of their largely popular President.

Nixon after calling Eisenhower's family to express his condolences and ensuring that the NYSE was stable would take to the airwaves at 11:05 PM and the TV screens in his first address as President of the United States...

"Hello My Fellow Americans, it is with great sadness I must inform the nation that at 10:47 tonight, President Dwight Eisenhower passed away of Cardiac Arrest, his death has had a great and pronounced effect on me and my family, and I can assure all of you that I will faithfully honor and serve the highest office in this fair nation, the Presidency. I have just gotten off the phone with Eisenhower's family to express my condolences... I promise that I shall honor Eisenhower's agenda of civil rights, continuing our struggle of containment against the ever prolific Soviet threat, and stimulating further economic growth. I hope to first however in order to honor the memory of our late President, work to the passing of further grants for cardiovascular disease research, so that no man shall suffer the same tragic fate of our late president. Thank you and goodnight."
- From President Nixon's address on the death of President Eisenhower (1955)

richard-nixons-checkers-speech.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 2: First Steps

September 27th-December 31st

On September 27th, Nixon focused mainly on presiding over the memorial service of Dwight Eisenhower, following standard protocol after the death of a President, Nixon was invited to speak at the funeral where he would give a powerful Eulogy talking about the many aspects of Eisenhower’s Legacy.

On October 5th, Nixon began proposing a Medical Research Package. The bill had support on both sides of the Aisle, after passing 96-0 in the Senate and near unanimous in the House as well.

On October 15th, 1955, Nixon would sign the bill into law. The Act would amend the 1950 Omnibus Medical Research Act to provide addition grants to Cardiovascular research costing about $10,000,000 1955 dollars.

On November 5th, 1955, Racial Segregation was forbidden on trains and buses involved in US Interstate Commerce.

On November 27th, 1955, Nixon would speak to his inner circle to move on a comprehensive civil rights bill. One that would not be so easily defanged as others. It’s goals would be to tear apart the influence of Jim Crow over the Courts by making Federal Jury selection not corresponding to state voter registries, desegregate public institutions, and remove discriminatory voter policies in the south. Nixon knew he would have to fight tooth and nail to achieve this, but he would have a golden opportunity to fight for it.

On December 1st, 1955, A 42 Year Old Black Seamstress named Rosa Parks would take a Montgomery, Alabama City Bus home after a day of labor. She sat at the foremost blacks only row of the Bus. But as the whites only rows began to fill up, the colored sign was moved back by the driver, James Blake, who asked Mrs. Parks to stand so white passengers could sit and she refused. This lead to her eventual arrest for ignoring Alabama’s segregation policy. This move would infuriate Civil Rights activists across Alabama. The next Monday on December 5th, Civil Rights activists led by the Young Rev. Martin Luther King Jr would begin a Boycott Of the Montgomery Bus Service.

IMG_2697.JPG

Last edited:
Chapter 3: Clouds Brewing
January 1st-August 17th,1956

By New Years, President Nixon had loudly called for passing a landmark Civil Rights Bill and used the Rosa Parks Incident and Montgomery Boycott as reason for why segregation must end.

During his 1956 State of the Union on January 5th, Nixon implored Republicans and Liberal Democrats to rally against the Spectre of Jim Crow, saying that: "It Shocks and appauls me that a Woman was arrested for just wanting to rest after a hard days work."

On July 26, 1956, Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser declared for the Suez Canal, at the time under British Control, was to be Nationalized as an Egyptian State owned enterprise. British Prime Minister Anthony Eden decided against immediate action, instead planning for a Joint Franco-British Invasion of Egypt later on.

Nixon had made the upcoming President Election more and more about Civil Rights as his proposals for a Civil Rights bill became more and more publicized.

In the Democratic Primaries, the Pro Segregation Governor Adlai Stevenson II campaigned hard in the opening Months of 1956 against the more Liberal and Racially Tolerant Senator Estes Kefauver, who had made headlines for his denunciation of the Southern Manifesto which was published that year by Segregationist Southern Senators. Kefauver was one of the 3 Senators who didn't sign the Document, Kefauver stated that the Democratic Party needed to act on Civil Rights and move into the Future. Kefauver had a strong start in the campaign against the more conservative Stevenson, but Kefauver's funds had run dry by the Time the Californian Primary was held in June 1956, and Stevenson started really gaining ground against Kefauver Southern Populism.

Kefauver would still remain in the Race however, determined to win the nomination, but by the time the Convention of August rolled around, all that did is paint Kefauver as a dividing figure in the Party and he was blown out by Stevenson at the Convention. It was clear Adlai was gonna have another go against the GOP. With Stevenson's Conservative Views on Civil Rights, he negotiated to have a more Moderate Platform, supporting Voting Rights and School Desegregation, but opposing Desegregation of the Private Sector. The Democratic Party also had to look for a running mate for Stevenson, Kefauver was too discredited for keeping the race tight until the Convention, and a New face on the National Stage was placing his hat in the ring for VP anyways. His name was Senator John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the Young Charismatic Son of the former Ambassador to the U.K. Joseph Kennedy Sr. In a close race for the Second Spot on the Ticket with Kefauver, Kennedy was victorious in getting his name on the ticket.

John_F._Kennedy_nominates_Adlai_Stevenson_1956.JPG

Chapter 4: What about the G. O. P.?
March 11th-August 31st

The Party of Lincoln also had their own primary struggles, Nixon's very Hardline Civil Rights Stance led to a Minor challenge from the Conservative End of the Party, mostly from Dark Horse Arizona Junior Senator Barry Goldwater, who criticized Nixon for his proposed Civil Rights legislation denying the rights of Business Owners. But Goldwater only really had a good showing in States like California, but Even then the Popular Nixon, who used public grief over Eisenhower's Death to make him seem like a torch carrier for Ol' Ike's legacy and the Standard Bearer for the next generation of the Republican Party. Nixon swept nearly every contest and burst into the Convention in August.

On August 20th, Nixon was easily nominated for the Presidency, knocking out the opposition...But Nixon realized he needed a running mate that didn't distract from his message but didn't seem too liberal to the conservative base. He had thought about for many weeks, he really had only one option, Senator Everett Dirksen of Illinois.

dirksen7.jpg
Dirksen was an Economic Conservative, an Internationalist, and a relative supporter of President Eisenhower's Agenda, it didn't hurt that he could help neutralize Stevenson's Illinois Appeal as well. Nixon rang the Senator up.

Nixon: "Hello Senator, It's me, Nixon."

Dirksen: "Hello Mr. President, it's 11:00 PM, I'm back at my hotel room, what's this late night call about anyways? Shouldn't you be picking a...Oh"

Nixon: "I want you Senator, to be my running mate, and with good luck, Vice President of the United States."

Dirksen: "Well, we do have our disagreements, especially on economics, but I could see this as a great budding partnership...hmmm...I think we have a deal."

Nixon: "Great Senator, thank you very much."
Hangs up

Everett Dirksen would be Nominated also easily by the Convention, as no major faction of Party opposed Dirksen heavily, they Confidently walked out of the Convention after it's ending with a strong musical performance by Nat King Cole. The Republican duo began to campaign with great fervor against Stevenson and Kennedy.

sen-everett-m-dirksen-with-richard-m-nixon-during-campaign-picture-id50559117

I am loving this start. Consider me a reader!
I wonder if there could be a Dixicrat party 2.0 or at least a 1960esque faithless elector move in the south in protest of the Civil Right's push.

For SCOTUS, I doubt Nixon appoints William Brennan as Justice (the nomination was purely political by the more moderate Ike). With the focus on Civil Rights at the forefront of Nixon's presidency, may I suggest Elbert Tuttle as a potential nominee? He was the head of the Fifth Circuit Four of judges that overturned Jim Crow Laws in the south

I am loving this start. Consider me a reader!
I wonder if there could be a Dixicrat party 2.0 or at least a 1960esque faithless elector move in the south in protest of the Civil Right's push
Well, as it stands now, the current party platform of the Democrats ittl is actual more Segregationist than otl, but yes, expect the Dixiecrats in the future.

Chapter 5: The Suez War
July 26th-November 31st 1956

Gamal Abdel Nasser when he nationalized the canal sent shockwaves through the colonial world as the British Empire received a massive hit to their grasp upon world trade. Prime Minister Anthony Eden commissioned Field Marshal Gerald Templer to draft war plans for a Joint NATO Invasion, convinced that the French and Israelis would back the British in this case.

On August 1st, 1956, a meeting was held at 10 Downing Street between British Foreign Secretary Selwyn Lloyd, U.S. Ambassador Robert D. Murphy and French Foreign Affairs Minister Christian Pineau. They discussed the possible reactions to the Canal crisis they could take, but despite Robert Murphy's more moderate opinion on the crisis, both the French, British, and President Nixon wanted harsh action against Nasser for this. Murphy under Nixon's orders stated the United States would support any actions the two colonial powers took, unconditionally.

On October 23rd, the Hungarian Revolution began when clashes began between protestors and police, Soviet Troops were sent in soon after. Nixon, trying to not appear hypocritical only put out a statement condemning Communist intervention.

On October 24th, The negotiations for the Protocol of Sevres were held, featuring representatives from the United States, France, Britain, and Israel to coordinate Military Actions from the 4 nations against Nasser's regime. The United States at this meeting pledge 5,000 troops to aid in the invasion and promised to help control Soviet reaction to the invasion. The British would also agree to Israeli involvement in the Invasion, and Operation Revise (The Plan for the Invasion) was ready to begin.

On October 29th, at 3:00 PM, the Israeli Armed forces would invade the Sinai Peninsula, signalling the beginning of the Suez War. They would quickly overrun Egyptian Forces in the Region, making significant territorial gains with minimal casualties compared to the Egyptians. The British, French, and Americans were ready to make their move.

On the Morning of the 30th, the British and French sent ultimatums to Nasser, which Nasser rejected. British and French Bombers would pound the Suez Canal and the Egyptian Coastline. Nasser responded by closing the Canal and withdrawing troops from the Sinai to prepare for Franco British Actions. Despite heavy Political Costs for the Eden Government with high opposition to the war, Military Victories emboldened Eden to not call off the Invasion.

On November 5th, British Paratroopers would begin to land at the Suez Canal, and began to clash with Egyptian Troops. Egyptian forces engaged in methodical, pseudo guerilla style fighting despite British Superiority.

Despite Soviet distractions in Hungary sparing Soviet Aid to Nasser, Premier Nikolai Bulganin sent multiple threats to NATO that his words demanding withdrawal were backed with nuclear weapons. President Nixon would call his bluff, and sent his own forces to aid the British and French anyways.

On November 6th, Royal Marines would come ashore on Port Said, beginning the Suez War as we know it, soon after American and French troops would come ashore...They would react to Nasser's declaration of a "People's War" with efficiency, blasting through the Egyptian lines over the next months, the otherwise underprepared Egyptian forces would be overrun by Allied troops. By the End of November. Cairo would be captured along with Nasser himself, whose planned escape to Luxor was interrupted after a chance encounter with a small company of American Soldiers.

On the Homefront, Anti War protests broke out in Britain, France, and America, giving their opposition parties boosts in the polls, but the Success of the Operation would bolster the popularity of Anthony Eden among the Conservative Party.

By November 31st, the Majority of professional fighting would end, and the Son of King Farouk, Fuad II would be installed as King of Egypt, with a regency lead by Prime Minister Aly Maher Pasha. American troops would be withdrawn but British and French troops would remain in Egypt to combat new insurgency groups located in the Upper Nile and Sahara regions of Egypt hoping to restore the Republic. Nasser himself would be placed under house arrest and (With rumored involvement of the United Kingdom) be assasinated in 1958.
Ali_Maher_Pasha.jpg

Prime Minister and Regent Aly Maher Pasher
1956-19XX

Faud II.png

King Fuad II of Egypt
1956-19XX

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 10.00.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 10.15.22 AM.png

Death toll would way higher for an invasion of the highly populated Nile delta and would take far longer than a month also they would need far more troops for such an invasion.

Last edited:
Chapter 6: The 1956 Presidential Election
August 31st-November 6th, 1956

Nixon fought tooth and nail during the Presidential Election's fall campaign, pummelling Adlai Stevenson and the Democrats with Attack ads. On the Democratic Side, John Kennedy would tour the country, speaking calmly and confidently to the country on the issues of the day, though sometimes butting heads with Stevenson's statements on issues here and there. Everett Dirksen on the Republican side would work on contacting special interest groups and politicians across the country to keep endorsements and cash flowing.

The Suez War initially caused hits on Nixon's popularity from the small amount of remaining Isolationists in the country and the small faction of dovish non interventionists. After initial skirmishes resulted in Victories for the United States in Egypt, Nixon received a powerful popularity boost for relatively bloodless victories and his efforts of containing the Nasserites.

Adlai Stevenson would however have a strong lead in the polls in the Solid South due to Nixon's hardline Civil Rights Stance. It would seem this old block of the South would not vote with the Republicans again like they did with Eisenhower in 52.

And here...are the results.

upload_2019-3-22_8-43-43.png

Stevenson upon seeing Nixon's borderline landslide Victory would call Nixon to concede the election. Stevenson was impressed with the young man's successful last few months himself, he knew he wouldn't win this one.

Stevenson: "Hello Mr. President"

Nixon: "Why Hello Governor Stevenson"

Stevenson: "I have to concede the election it seems, it was quite a challenging campaign, I wish you luck in your first full term as President of the United States"

Nixon: "Thank you Governor, I wish you luck in your future career."

Nixon knew he had to make some changes with Eisenhower's cabinet, not to mention filling the Supreme Court Vacancy left by Sherman Minton. Hopefully the Congressional results were favorable to the GOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.