Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Congratulations to @Reagent for winning MotF 190 with his map of Veracruz! And thank you to everyone who entered - we had a lot of great maps last round.

Just to gauge the status of the current round, who all has an entry in progress for MotF 191?

Also, it's not too early to discuss topics for future rounds. Some that I have in mind for 192 include:
  • To the Strongest - Make a map showing the aftermath of a disputed succession or succession crisis
  • Bread and Circuses - Make a map related to food or entertainment.
  • The Simple Life - Make a map showing a group, community, or place which has deliberately rejected certain technologies.
If you have a preference for one of these, or another contest suggestion, post it here!

The simple life is the most interesting, lots of potential, totalitarian state for censorship, religious sect, isolated tribe, post apocalyptic civilisation...

Just a sly filler for my MOTF 191 post, this uses the POD, and essentially follows TL191 in the immediate aftermath, capturing Philly, International recognition for the CSA. The US keeps the border states, though gives up East Maryland. The US gets into harder times as politics becomes significantly more radical, with essentially democratic coups and lots of corruption. The US of this world resembles something like OTL India, with some one-party politics, some pretty unsavory nationalism, a thinly disguised military fetish, and some pretty significant inequality between and within states. The Confederacy is somewhere between Pakistan and Apartheid South Africa, with most blacks either resettled (often forcibly) in Africa or fled to the US. Those who remain live on reservations, and are monitored closely by a massive police state. Still to this day an agricultural society, France handily swoops in every so often when a reformer looks keen on changing their relationship. Texas jumped ship in the 1890s, and though warm enough to the US, found itself a very hollow economy even after the oil boom, with Europeans and American oligarchs taking the money and running. High inequality, the ecology of Texas is a nightmare for anyone with a basic understanding of carcinogens.

Should Freedonia have a People's Railroad?

August 15, 2016
Jane Whittlesback

Since............ Freedonia, as the Federal government exclusively will bear the burden of keeping a People's Railroad in the Federal Capital.

Since we aren't to comment in the contests threads, I'll comment here regarding the map by @SpazzReflex.

It's a good map and an interesting concept. But Spazz, if I'm not mistaken it is done in the style of The Economist am I right? If so, don't you want to put that in the map or text somewhere?

Since we aren't to comment in the contests threads, I'll comment here regarding the map by @SpazzReflex.

It's a good map and an interesting concept. But Spazz, if I'm not mistaken it is done in the style of The Economist am I right? If so, don't you want to put that in the map or text somewhere?

I was debating that, but I decided to keep things simpler, with smaller blurbs on the graphics themselves.

Alright, let's make it official: MotF 191 is extended by one week, to Sunday February 24th.

Which also means - more time to speak up if you have an opinion on what MotF 192 should be!

Abandon The Big Ben
Make a map of the spacious and permanent relocation of a national capital. Up to this point, the country shall not have had an own historic precedent for this endeavor and the abandoned capital shall have the status of an undisputed primate city in its country.
(TL;DR: Monocentric countries with big heads as capitals that don't create a New-World-style planned city but use a grown city in another part of the country to grow organically into a new capital city.)

Backstop? What Backstop? (aka Greener Pastures II, a re-run of MotF 98)

Make a map showing a legal discrepancy between countries that prompts related border traffic.

The Boy Who Lived
Make a map of a country with its former political system surviving to the present day.

I Love You, You Pay My Rent

Make a map of a fiscal redistribution scheme.

Making The Best Of An Awkward Situation
Make a map of a place, project or other endeavor that has been abandoned by the group that started it.

Our Father's Father Says That Things Were Better Then
Make a map depicting an attempted or successful socio-economic or socio-cultural political backlash. (Wahhabi-influenced Political Islam? Chavista Venezuela? Western World Alt-Right? You name it!)

Abandon The Big Ben
Make a map of the spacious and permanent relocation of a national capital. Up to this point, the country shall not have had an own historic precedent for this endeavor and the abandoned capital shall have the status of an undisputed primate city in its country.
(TL;DR: Monocentric countries with big heads as capitals that don't create a New-World-style planned city but use a grown city in another part of the country to grow organically into a new capital city.)

I like this, but would prefer to make it a little broader; i.e. just "make a map of the relocation of a national capital".

About a day left on the extension, and we still only have one entry. @Tsar of New Zealand , @Reagent , or anyone else got entries in the works?

(I'm debating whether to try whipping one up myself if I have some time tomorrow, but I have two mutually exclusive concepts in mind. Just on the off-chance, which would people be more interested in seeing: Australia, or West Africa?)

About a day left on the extension, and we still only have one entry. @Tsar of New Zealand , @Reagent , or anyone else got entries in the works?

(I'm debating whether to try whipping one up myself if I have some time tomorrow, but I have two mutually exclusive concepts in mind. Just on the off-chance, which would people be more interested in seeing: Australia, or West Africa?)

I'll have an entry in tonight ideally, tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

West Africa always needs more AH love

How about splitting the difference and doing Western Australia?

Oh my god, I was just trying to post the map I had been working on for weeks and the file was too large! Am I allowed to post a link to the full map to a place like DeviantArt and a smaller size in the main post?