Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, another cliched discussion about "'Murica won't let it go cause its 'Murica!"

I am American, but I do enjoy entertaining ideas like this where America is curbstomped, especially in the 20th century (not counting a certain German-world-domination-cliche).

Oh boy, another cliched discussion about "'Murica won't let it go cause its 'Murica!"

I am American, but I do enjoy entertaining ideas like this where America is curbstomped, especially in the 20th century (not counting a certain German-world-domination-cliche).

I agree. The point of the post was "It's a Tsarwank!", not for serious discussion about how strong other nations are.

My point was moreso that a country doesn't give up their stuff without a fight--I realize it's a Tsarwank, but some of the comments were making it seem like they just took it without a battle. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Presumably US forces in Alaska would try and repulse the invaders, but without help from the government they would be defeated.

- Vichy government did not contest the occupation of Indochina.
- Colombia did not seriously attempt to retake Panama, which had been detached from it by American interests.
- Turkey did not contest the French occupation of Tunis, a part of Turkey.
- Turkey did not contest the British occupation of Egypt, a part of Turkey.
- The GMD government actively suppressed volunteer movements formed to fight Japan and disbanded the Northeast Army. They had hundreds of thousands of troops in southern China that were kept there uselessly fighting the CCP, even though they had to capability to move many of them to Manchuria and still outnumber the CCP.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's implied.
Is the US fighting for its survival?

Speaking as an American, if I can put this in the bluntest and most American way I can, if you try to take land from us, thus taking away American citizens, we're going to shoot the fuck out of you.
And somehow you are different from every other country on earth in that quality. Somehow.
Is the US fighting for its survival?
- Colombia did not seriously attempt to retake Panama, which had been detached from it by American interests.

- The GMD government actively suppressed volunteer movements formed to fight Japan and disbanded the Northeast Army. They had hundreds of thousands of troops in southern China that were kept there uselessly fighting the CCP, even though they had to capability to move many of them to Manchuria and still outnumber the CCP.
Point of order here. At that point Egypt was only very nominally still part of the Ottoman Empire and even had it's own monarchy (hereditary governors). And Ottomans had way more important things to do like focusing on Balkan rebellions and Russians invading every decade to care about a province that doesn't even pay its taxes properly being invaded by the most powerful nation in the world, which at that point still supported them on most issues (thank the great game for that).

Also Vichy France was the puppet state of Japan's ally. Of course they didn't contest the Japanese invasion of Indochina.
It's slightly inaccurate to speak of Vichy as a "puppet", when they never declared war on the British or sent any significant assistance to their supposed "masters". Vichy foreign policy, at least, was entirely independent of German influence.

Last edited:
My point was moreso that a country doesn't give up their stuff without a fight--I realize it's a Tsarwank, but some of the comments were making it seem like they just took it without a battle. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
Yeah, that's forgiven.

I would say before the mods step in, please take this to a chatroom so we don't get more pages of scenario debate. This probably wouldn't have happened if thoroughly explained in the original post instead of getting kamikazed into the forum with no context.

I would say before the mods step in, please take this to a chatroom so we don't get more pages of scenario debate. This probably wouldn't have happened if thoroughly explained in the original post instead of getting kamikazed into the forum with no context.

Oh, no, I'm done with the discussion.

And somehow you are different from every other country on earth in that quality. Somehow.

I'm not saying that, never once did I say that, nations fight tooth and nail in most every case of core land under the threat of being taken. This isn't applicable to colonial possessions, vassal states, or anything of that matter. There is also the issue that the US possess the ability, will, and desire to fight back, like most countries would if a bit of land was taken, especially when it's a piece of highly profitable bit of land. The US is not unique, I am not saying the US is inherently unique, do not put words in my mouth. I respect you highly as a cartographer and a poster, but do not put words into my mouth. I am drawing issues with the basic sense that any nation, even America, especially America given that's the nation we are talking about, would let a hostile land grab go without any move to stop the action.

Do not take criticism as an attack on the map or the scenario, biting back and sourcing issues that bear little help to the actual situation here does not fit your character.

I am not going to sit here and continue this debate, I've said my piece, others have also, just because someone disagrees with a premise with your/a map does not give you the excuse to not take any of it as valid or to fight against every inch of it.

EDIT: Had to fix a few things

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
All of those are wars. The people already there put up a fight to try and repel their invaders. You just proved my point.

Edit: Whatever, man. I'm just going to leave this conversation before the mods show up.
Too late.

Smart to walk away.

Hope everyone else is equally self aware.

So some of you might remember this, and if you don't, you should go and look at it, Utgard96 did an amazing job.

Well, this little guy has the population of every shire. It's not much to look at I admit, but a lot of work went into it. :)

z6uZ5gl.png

So some of you might remember this, and if you don't, you should go and look at it, Utgard96 did an amazing job.

Well, this little guy has the population of every shire. It's not much to look at I admit, but a lot of work went into it. :)

z6uZ5gl.png
Orange Shires? I dunno. Seems you would want tall people to populate areas prone to floods.

Alright guys I have decided to restart my Dave's redistricting 30,000 people per district series, since this new version is alot more stable and easier to use and so I think will allow me to make everything look better. So here is the first one: Rhode Island!

First comes the district map:

district map.png

Now the map showing how those districts would've voted in the 2018 election:

district map with voting of 2018 election.png

And finally a map to see the racial majorities or pluralities of each district

district map with racial demographics.png

And here is the link to it on Dave's redistricting: http://dra.indirect.cc/join/d4ad0a21-8df9-4aab-b468-cf153e27cbc0

I always thought Hobbits were great floaters. I don't remember where I got this impression.
It is an odd impression to get. Every time in the movies they are in water they seem to sink like rocks. Though when Sam did it, he was probably loaded down with pots and pans. And another time they were in a swamp filled with thousands of ghosts and corpses, so that may have been a contributing factor.

It is an odd impression to get. Every time in the movies they are in water they seem to sink like rocks. Though when Sam did it, he was probably loaded down with pots and pans. And another time they were in a swamp filled with thousands of ghosts and corpses, so that may have been a contributing factor.

I think that in one of Tolkein's books they talk about hobbits that live on canals and boats, maybe how the regular people of the Shire don't get along with them. And I'm definitely picking some of it up from RPGs and not LotR.

Status
Not open for further replies.