Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In memory of an honorable man who I respected while vehemently disagreeing with on foreign policy matters, I present to you what could have been if a primary for a special election had gone differently.

IMG_20190213_034534.jpg

An attempt at fleshing out the senate based off of This which I did a while back. It's the first 20 US senators in this world, and yes, most of them are lawyers.
qhxn8AY.jpg

To be clear, Walter Mondale is still alive, which I know because after seeing the content about him I got worried and frantically Googled to check on him.

I understand the confusion, Walter's well and good. I just saw some old post about an ATL where McGovern beats a Republican candidate in the '90s, and thought to myself "Damn, who'd make a good old-timey Democrat that is a) still alive and at a decent age in 1996 and b) could feasibly beat Dan Quayle?

The answer to the latter is a lot easier, but Mondale IMO would've filled that elder statesman role pretty well, especially after, say, a certain governor of Arkansas's campaign explodes in the general following more revelations about his personal indiscretions (and thereby helping the potential '96 candidacy of anyone who's been out of the limelight and hasn't screwed up recently)

What is the story behind the US being so... abridged?

Domestic opposition to the Louisiana Purchase proves stronger than expansionist sentiment, and the proposal is shot down before it can materialize. The US thus never expands westward, and is restricted (mostly) east of the Mississippi. A narrower front in the War of 1812 leads to a US victory, and the annexation of most of Upper Canada and the lands east of the St Lawrence, including New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. This is fairly palatable to the British as they retain control of the more valuable Lower Canada, including Montreal and Quebec. Territorial disputes in the northwest are later resolved in Britain's favor.

In the south, the territorial dispute over West Florida between the US and Spain escalates into a limited war, resulting in US acquisition of all of Florida, the Mississippi Delta, and the Bahamas (which Spain cheekily refused to give back to Britain after occupying them in 1782). Another, later war with Spain sees the US acquire as a protectorate, later admitting it as a state.

Behold, an infobox for a timeline idea I had recently and just started putting the pieces together for. It probably doesn't make a lick of sense, but hey.

The 2018 election was one of the most unusual in New English history. For much of his term, Andrew Cuomo had struggled with challengers to his left and right. While he had done a good job of taking the wind out of the sails of the Liberal Party, which had been especially demoralized after the death of its colorful leader Robert J. Healey in March 2016 and the failure of his successor Allan Fung to keep the party's momentum going, the economy had not improved much and Tory leader Will Romney had been successful in overcoming criticisms that he was out of touch, affluent and a 'Deseret carpetbagger' by focusing on his relatively well-regarded tenure as premier of Massachusetts and the old New England bugbear of 'Eastern values' (i.e. low taxation). As a result, the Tories pulled ahead in the polls for much of 2016 and 2017, with New England being relatively unaffected by the far-right populist surge besides a few elements of the Tory base and policy agenda.

However, in the summer of 2018, something odd happened. Bernie Sanders stood down as leader of the left-wing Liberty Union Party after 12 years, saying he wanted 'fresh faces to have a chance at running this party'. The candidate to win the leadership race was Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, also known by her initials AOC, who had won an upset by-election victory against Labor in the Bronx earlier that year. While disgruntled Laborites complained she was simply a publicity seeker and Tories were disgusted that her policy agenda would be countenanced, AOC's leadership garnered particular popularity, with commentators comparing her party's sudden surge to the Spanish Podemos party and suspecting Cuomo's days were numbered unless he sought to reduce the bleeding to the LUP.

To the surprise of many voters, that was exactly what Cuomo did. Figuring he had nothing to lose with his poor polling numbers, Cuomo promised greater spending commitments and produced an ambitious Labor manifesto in August (though less heavy on spending than the LUP had pledged), as well as putting on an unusually fiery performance in the election debate, attacking Romney when he brought up the poor economy and reminding voters of his famous 'Corporations are people' gaffe from the 2014 election.

On election day, Cuomo just barely scraped an overall majority of one seat in the House of Commons, as the wave of support for AOC subsided a little (though she retained her Bronx seat comfortably) and the Tories struggled to make enough gains for a majority, though they did only finish about 150,000 votes (or 1.5% of the total) behind Labor overall, mostly thanks to the significant increase in the LUP's voteshare. One topical comedian described the election as 'a dramatic victory for the left and a big defeat for Cuomo', referring to how the increased LUP representation in Congress will most likely push Labor to the left.

upload_2019-2-15_1-27-15.png

Last edited:
When I made the infobox I was having trouble properly formatting it in the way I wanted it, so I decided it would of been better to leave him out (even though I should of included it).
If there are three candidates in the infobox, you just have to make sure that the coding for the stats for the third candidate have a "3" at the end (eg "nominee3 = [Name]"), assuming that was your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.