Have you considered cooperating with the team over at CBtS (although their mod starts at 1933)
Please don't get the impression that I'm good at modding. I only figured out how to do it a few months ago. I've only ever released one mod, which just changes the colours file for countries. I have a lot of ideas but I'm still figuring out how to actually implement them.

Modding HoI4's not hard, which is why I can seriously envision a project like this, but it's also very time-consuming, especially for just one person.

Please don't get the impression that I'm good at modding. I only figured out how to do it a few months ago. I've only ever released one mod, which just changes the colours file for countries. I have a lot of ideas but I'm still figuring out how to actually implement them.

Modding HoI4's not hard, which is why I can seriously envision a project like this, but it's also very time-consuming, especially for just one person.

I feel like you'd be a wonderful historical resource though

I'm part of CBtS, and if you ever want to become a contributor, we are open to that. There's a whole China team working on it.

I'm part of CBtS, and if you ever want to become a contributor, we are open to that. There's a whole China team working on it.
I might consider joining, then. If you need any historical accuracy advice on the warlords I'd be happy to provide it.

I've not heard of CBtS before, actually. So, from what I understand, it starts in 1931?

I might consider joining, then. If you need any historical accuracy advice on the warlords I'd be happy to provide it.

I've not heard of CBtS before, actually. So, from what I understand, it starts in 1931?
CBtS is a total overhaul mod aimed to introduce Kaiserreich-like mechanics to OTL. It starts in 1933, right before the nazis take power in Germany. It features historical paths as well as alternate paths. Right now we are still working in O.1 (Aka not released yet) but we are always open to contributors and coders.

The Republic of China in 1925:

i5s9wu6.png

qZI5Bvo.png

gv4WqJy.png
KanD0n0.png
vC1rkrm.png
lL2zjSP.png
vZOCjzp.png
4V6Yio1.png
di0EIiG.png

Early 1925, Unspecified Date:
The Guominjun assumes control of Shaanxi and Jehol. Yulin joins the Guominjun. The Ngoloks revolt against the Ma. Guizhou becomes independent from Yunnan and takes control of southern Sichuan.

January:
Guominjun takes over Suiyuan. Anhui Clique takes over Jiangsu with the support of the Northeast Army.

February:
Liu Zhenhua, the Guominjun commander of Kaifeng, revolts against Feng Yuxiang and defeats pro-Guominjun factions in the province at Luoyang.

March:
Guominjun retakes Luoyang. The death of Sun Yixian, the leader of the Guominang, sparks a civil war between his former followers. Tang Jiyao, the governor of Yunnan, cooperates with the Yue Clique to overthrow Hu Hanmin (the new leader of the GMD) and Li Zongren (the leader of the New Gui Clique).

April:
Feng Yuxiang and Hu Jingyi defeat Liu Zhenhua. Hu Jingyi's clique becomes the Guominjun-supported authority in Henan. The Anhui Clique shifts south as they continue their advance against the United Provinces under Sun Chuanfang. Zhang Zongchang, a general of the Northeast Army, becomes the governor of Shandong.

May:
GMD forces led by Jiang Jieshi, and loyal to Hu Hanmin, extinguish the Yue Clique. Tang Jiyao abandons his war against the Gui Clique.

August:
The Northeast Army assumes control of Jiangsu. The United Provinces retake Anhui province. The Anhui Clique still exists, but only as a weak government in Beijing. Meanwhile the Guominjun defeat the Hui leaders of Kansu.

October:
The Anti-Fengtien War begins with Guo Songling, a Northeast Army general, defecting to the Guominjun. The southern factions remain initially neutral.

November:
The Zhili Clique aligns with the Northeast Army. Guo Songling besieges Mukden, the capital of the Northeast Army. The United Provinces army seizes Jiangsu but does not align with the Guominjun. The Jin Clique breaks its alliance with the Guominjun.

December:
Guo Songling is defeated and executed by the Northeast Army. Anhui province secedes from the United Provinces in support of the Guominjun, drawing another faction into the Northeast Army's alliance.

Wait, I just noticed....was Kwangchow Wan really that large?
I based all of the concessions off of their modern municipalities.

But, according to this map, the depiction is still accurate. Keep in mind that I can only show so much detail with the coastlines, which creates the illusion of Kouang-Tchéou-Wan being somewhat larger in size than it actually is.

upload_2019-2-9_8-23-43.jpeg

It's quite a bit odd since the Northern Expedition was a huge war, with well over a million troops participating, and yet as far as I know mine is the first video to extensively map it out.

It's quite a bit odd since the Northern Expedition was a huge war, with well over a million troops participating, and yet as far as I know mine is the first video to extensively map it out.

Asian history in general tends to suffer from this.

I remember once researching Vietnam's campaign against Pol Pot and realizing just how poorly mapped out and documented it was (at least in western and especially English language sources).

I remember once researching Vietnam's campaign against Pol Pot and realizing just how poorly mapped out and documented it was (at least in western and especially English language sources).
even i, an ethnic vietnamese, don't know how to map it out

big oof

The weirdest thing of all is that French-language sources are way more complete than English ones. I speak some French, so that has been extremely useful in all of the stuff I've been doing on this thread.

Of course there are a few parts of the campaign that have essentially no documentation anywhere I could find and I was reduced to looking up lists of provincial governors; building mountains of conjecture off of term dates. Mercifully I managed to avoid that almost everywhere.