Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I thought this was a great and thorough map and writeup. A few constructive criticisms I had:

1) Central Asia needs more action! There would likely be jockeying for spheres of influence between Russia, China, and the American Bloc. Additionally, at this time you would start to see the end of post-Soviet autocrats and the rise of nationalism and Islamism. Finally, you would start to have fighting over water resources, which are becoming scarce thanks to decades of Soviet-induced cotton monoculture.

2) Africa is a bit too convergent.

Thank you!

For Central Asia, I don't think China's really strong enough or interested to get involved. Russia still views it as their backyard, and they keep things covered. I do agree I could have had the US and Iran do much more in Turkmenistan and Tajikistan, though!

Yeah, outside of South Africa and North Africa that part of the map is a little lackluster. There's a lot I could have done with Congo and Nigeria, but at that point I was feeling kind of bored of the idea and just wanted to get the writeup done.

Yeah, outside of South Africa and North Africa that part of the map is a little lackluster. There's a lot I could have done with Congo and Nigeria, but at that point I was feeling kind of bored of the idea and just wanted to get the writeup done.

Haha I don't blame you. I quit my "Kolkata Thresher" map project because I found the idea boring (the WIP is still in the WIP thread). Future history is tough to do because we don't know what the broad contours and currents of the future are going to be, so you have to thread a needle between being too convergent with the OTL present, and too wild and creating too much action. What makes it worse is that the things that end up becoming reality are the things that seem preposterous at the time (eg: from 1992, could anyone have predicted the War on Terror, or the Eurozone Crisis), but we don't know what those things will be.

Haha I don't blame you. I quit my "Kolkata Thresher" map project because I found the idea boring (the WIP is still in the WIP thread). Future history is tough to do because we don't know what the broad contours and currents of the future are going to be, so you have to thread a needle between being too convergent with the OTL present, and too wild and creating too much action. What makes it worse is that the things that end up becoming reality are the things that seem preposterous at the time (eg: from 1992, could anyone have predicted the War on Terror, or the Eurozone Crisis), but we don't know what those things will be.
Right, I would definitely agree that the future is really hard to predict, even if certain trends are in place. One of the things I wanted to do with this map once I started filling in the gaps for the rest of the world outside of South Africa and Yugoslavia was to make things similar, yet different. Society's not quite the same. A lot of the same players and issues (terrorism, a new Cold War, etc.) are there, but the details themselves or the ways they manifest (and why they manifest!) are quite different.

This is technically a slide for a YT video, and it's not even AH, but it does look aesthetically pleasing. So, there.

PfzCzQw.png

Scaevola

Banned
So years ago I used this Mars worlda base for a project and I needed it again but couldn't remember the source. I was wondering if anyone recognized it and its here if anyone else needed a non terraformed map for whatever reason:
EmgG9h2.png
For a non-terraformed map that's awfully terraformed.

Scaevola

Banned
It is? Cause I genuinely got no clue.
There is no noticeable liquid on the surface of Mars, your map makes it look as though there is. The surface is pretty uniform as far as color goes, the only differences are in geology, terrain, and elevation. Non-terraformed Mars maps should either just be a blank red planet with colonies or influence colored in or outlined, or an elevation map like most of these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mar...yLLgAhVJS60KHeEJCiUQ_AUIDigB&biw=1366&bih=657
At least in my opinion.

There is no noticeable liquid on the surface of Mars, your map makes it look as though there is. The surface is pretty uniform as far as color goes, the only differences are in geology, terrain, and elevation. Non-terraformed Mars maps should either just be a blank red planet with colonies or influence colored in or outlined, or an elevation map like most of these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mar...yLLgAhVJS60KHeEJCiUQ_AUIDigB&biw=1366&bih=657
At least in my opinion.
Although, if we make a mars base there's no way in hell we're not going to eventually terraform the planet. These maps just show where the surviving bases will be.

So what do you think? Which Scenario (excluding A-0, obviously) is the best in your opinion? Do you have a proposal for a completely different outcome? What is your opinion on the current scenario (A-1)? :)
I'd recommend B-2. But I really find the concept of C-1 interesting. Mexico could be made a bit smaller (have the border moved south some) and maybe have the Confederacy collapse. You could do the second one for any of them, but I'd understand if you wouldn't want to go that route.

does anyone have recommendations for a png-gif converter? I'm trying to make an animation of a war in my tl and I have no idea how to convert the multiple pngs to one single gif.

Scaevola

Banned
Although, if we make a mars base there's no way in hell we're not going to eventually terraform the planet. These maps just show where the surviving bases will be.
I'm not so sure about that. The amount of resources and energy required are staggering. I expect that it would take a few hundred, maybe even more than a thousand years, to give a planet the size of Mars a breathable atmosphere and oceans. Yet another thousand or more to develop a nice layer of topsoil to provide arable land. I don't view just an atmosphere without flora and fauna as full terraforming.
Of course the other option is that there will be plenty of bases, then humanity will more or less destroy itself and Mars remains more or less untouched.

parliamentary america.png

Mapblocked for ages and when I finally get the energy to make something, this happens. Typical :p

I figured since it seems like almost everyone else on this forum has done a parliamentary America, I might as well try my hand at it. The United Republic of America is a unitary parliamentary constitutional republic that has devolved power to nineteen constituent countries, each of which has a parliament of its own and is divided into a number of shires and independent cities. There is an electoral college, but it exists only to select the nation's consul, who serves as a powerless, entirely ceremonial head of state. The actual executive power, of course, lies with the Prime Minister, currently Veronica Meyers of the Conservative Party. She has had the rather dubious honor of leading the country in its exit from the Pan-American Union, a move that threatens to restart the Troubles in Acadia and sour relations with Canada. The United Republic Independence Party has gone from being very smug about the whole thing to fearing for its leaders' safety, as calls for a second referendum grow louder by the day. Though the future of the UR is unclear, it's certain that relations with the rest of the continent will continue to play an important role in it, for better or for worse.

Last edited:

erty10089

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.