Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now, that last bit with John and George sounds like it'll become something very interesting in the future. And that scene with Walt and the little girl was very sweet, good to see Disney being such a good influence/force for good in the world, making people happy like that.

Got a question about the timeline, though. With Walt still being alive, and Disney as a whole keeping up in the world of animation instead of falling behind, I wonder what kind of effect that's had on animation and cartoons as whole? Are they a bigger medium than in OTL? What about Japan? Since Disney is already establishing a foothold there, what kind of effect will that have on the Anime industry as it forms and evolves?

Got a question about the timeline, though. With Walt still being alive, and Disney as a whole keeping up in the world of animation instead of falling behind, I wonder what kind of effect that's had on animation and cartoons as whole? Are they a bigger medium than in OTL? What about Japan? Since Disney is already establishing a foothold there, what kind of effect will that have on the Anime industry as it forms and evolves?

Animation and cartooning will definitely be bigger ITTL, especially the Disney style of animation. Their style strives for realism, which seems hard to believe at first until you glance at the backgrounds to Sleeping Beauty and see it. So in the West, more stylistic animation approaches will be a bit less popular, just with more people looking to classic Disney, even as Disney themselves try out and experiment in new art styles (The Snow Queen, for instance, takes Marc Davis' style and overlays it on the whole movie), especially as time goes on and without a more traditionalist Walt at the head of it. It's also going to be seen as less of a thing for kids, with Disney maturing ITTL instead of just focusing on getting a G-Rating for their films as per OTL.

Disney won't really be focusing on the Japanese market until anime is well-established by the mid-1980s. But by then, they'll have a much bigger reason to get involved in Japan than just movies...

@HeX
Sounds pretty interesting, especially the focus on more 'realistic/traditional' instead of 'stylistic'. It will be interesting to see where that goes, especially if animation is taken more seriously than in OTL.

The OVA market boom? Anime and tokusatsu would help to fill content for the Disney channel too
I feel like anime and tokusatsu popping up on the Disney Channel, especially TTL's version, would have some pretty interesting effects, not the least of which being both becoming popular in the West much earlier than normal. Could be that Disney tries to take a swing at it themselves, especially if they get into contact with Ghibli here much like OTL.

Aha! I knew there was a reason why you wrote that Miyamoto and Sakurai were among the first guests at Tokyo Disneyland, or whatever the park's name is! Disney X Nintendo crossover, here we come!

Or, those could just be misleading comments made to make you think that way... when in reality they're working with Sega! Or Sony. Or Namco. Or Capcom. Or Konami...

I'll give you that they'll be working with a Japanese gaming company, but which one, I won't say yet. I like to keep the hype and the guessing games alive.

Or, those could just be misleading comments made to make you think that way... when in reality they're working with Sega! Or Sony. Or Namco. Or Capcom. Or Konami...

I'll give you that they'll be working with a Japanese gaming company, but which one, I won't say yet. I like to keep the hype and the guessing games alive.

Here's hoping that the words "Konami" and "pachinko" aren't used in the same sentence. The less we say about that company the better.

I'm really looking forward to when video games can start having real substance to them instead of being glorified minigames. While I've played a few rounds of Google Image Search Breakout it's still an extremely basic experience.

Here's hoping that the words "Konami" and "pachinko" aren't used in the same sentence. The less we say about that company the better.

I'm really looking forward to when video games can start having real substance to them instead of being glorified minigames. While I've played a few rounds of Google Image Search Breakout it's still an extremely basic experience.

With a POD as far back as this, Konami will have significant time to reform. I also have bigger plans for Japan as a whole that'll help them along.

I am too, as is Walt himself. Can't wait until actual storylines can be programmed into a video game.

Knowing Walt, he'd probably be a pioneer of games with stories. Oh! I just thought of something. Wouldn't it be interesting to see Disney be the company behind the original RPG video games? That could be a lot of fun to see, especially if they use something like Star Wars for it.

With a POD as far back as this, Konami will have significant time to reform. I also have bigger plans for Japan as a whole that'll help them along.

I am too, as is Walt himself. Can't wait until actual storylines can be programmed into a video game.

And maybe butterflies regarding Apple could result in Trip Hawkins staying with the company instead of founding EA. I don't think I need to say why the games industry would be better off without that company.

With the fine minds of Disney making games, they'd certainly be pretty good. Both the original stuff as well as the game adaptations. No Disney movie is going to have shoddily-made shovelware based on it in this timeline.

Knowing Walt, he'd probably be a pioneer of games with stories. Oh! I just thought of something. Wouldn't it be interesting to see Disney be the company behind the original RPG video games? That could be a lot of fun to see, especially if they use something like Star Wars for it.

Not to mention fantasy RPGs given that fairy tales were Disney's bread and butter for so long. I could see a more family-friendly Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls being made by Disney.

I just realized that Disney would likely prevent the trend of lousy video game film adaptions from being a thing. Why? Because he's such a consummate professional that he wouldn't let the nature of the source material stop him from having a good movie made of it.

And maybe butterflies regarding Apple could result in Trip Hawkins staying with the company instead of founding EA. I don't think I need to say why the games industry would be better off without that company.

With the fine minds of Disney making games, they'd certainly be pretty good. Both the original stuff as well as the game adaptations. No Disney movie is going to have shoddily-made shovelware based on it in this timeline.

Not to mention fantasy RPGs given that fairy tales were Disney's bread and butter for so long. I could see a more family-friendly Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls being made by Disney.

I just realized that Disney would likely prevent the trend of lousy video game film adaptions from being a thing. Why? Because he's such a consummate professional that he wouldn't let the nature of the source material stop him from having a good movie made of it.

Hmmm... we'll see about Trip hanging around.

Oh yeah, the OTL trend of shovelware adaptations of the latest blockbuster won't exist, because most movie adaptations will be handed to competent developers due to a precedent set by Disney.

Remember, Disney won't just be more family friendly ITTL--so anything's game for an RPG's rating, basically.

Hmmm... we'll see about Trip hanging around.

Oh yeah, the OTL trend of shovelware adaptations of the latest blockbuster won't exist, because most movie adaptations will be handed to competent developers due to a precedent set by Disney.

Remember, Disney won't just be more family friendly ITTL--so anything's game for an RPG's rating, basically.

Maybe it's Apple who decides to throw their hat into the ring regarding the games industry rather than Microsoft. Maybe Trip's the head of Apple's in-house game studio. Food for thought.

Or, as I said, the trend of slapping a popular game's name on a terrible movie isn't a thing either.

I do like the idea of Disney's hypothetical Kingswell Studio going from a shell where they put the "out there" games to being a genuine games studio in its own right.

There's also a big difference between making games that the whole family can play and including gratuitous "adult" humor and gore.

There's also a big difference between making games that the whole family can play and including gratuitous "adult" humor and gore.

Yeah, I meant a game dealing with more "mature" themes could develop. Final Fantasy VII doesn't have gratuitous amounts of adult humor and gore, but it still earned a Teen rating.

Well, you'll just have to wait for those. Games weren't really games until the mid-1980s, so we've still got a bit of a way to go.
We've arcades but those take times, the arcade boom will start till 1978(space invaders) but still we're in the discrete era, was when Chips explode in popularity become easier to make more videogames...plus Atari VCS/2600 is yet to come too(how we could name that, Atari Cat?)

We've arcades but those take times, the arcade boom will start till 1978(space invaders) but still we're in the discrete era, was when Chips explode in popularity become easier to make more videogames...plus Atari VCS/2600 is yet to come too(how we could name that, Atari Cat?)

I'm excited for some of the later arcade games, especially.

Atari just scrapped the whole concept of naming it the VCS and skipped straight to numbering their consoles ITTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.