WI They Actually Found Something on Oak Island?

Okay I'll admit it, these conspiracy oriented shows on the History Channel are one of my guilty pleasures - Curse of Oak Island, America Unearthed, and Ancient Aliens, I love them all.

One thing that absolutely amazes is how a postage stamp sized island off the coast of Nova Scotia has been attracting so many treasure hunters (including FDR) for so long and is now the subject of a TV show that is in its sixth season and nobody has ever actually found anything of substance.

So what if somebody actually managed to find a real treasure? A cache of pirate treasure, a hoard of Confederate gold, the Lost Ark of the Covenant, I don't care. Just something worth a lot of money and that will generate a lot of publicity.

If the lode appeared to have some sort of mystical or occultic significance, it could feed into conspiracy theories about how 33rd Degree Mason FDR was really searching for the Templar manuscripts which would establish American control over the Canadian maritimes, I mean, come on, sheeple, what do you think all those lend-lease soldiers were doing in Newfoundland, you didn't think that was just about fighting Hitler, did you?!

Apart from all that, though, if it was just some generic old treasure, the guys who found it would get rich, be media stars for a few weeks, and then vanish into relative obscurity(see Mel Fisher).

Everyone with a Theory turns out to be right.
The Treasure turn out to be a piece of Alien Tech that was used by Jesus at the last Super and then under went a voyage that took it from Ancient Rome to the Vikings to Knight Templers to the Pirates Blackbeard, each of who dug up the treasure and then latter reburied it on the island. They manage to do complex engineering with out any one else noticing. In one of the many chambers, there are instructions how to dig up the treasure written by William Shakespeare.

What? It would take Alien Space Bats for that to be true.
But it seem that people will believe any thing on this show.

They'd have to step up their game, to get viewers back next season.

NARRATOR: "Could these strange metal objects, found among the treasure, have come from an alien spacecraft that crashed on Oak Island more than five centuries ago?"

Okay I'll admit it, these conspiracy oriented shows on the History Channel are one of my guilty pleasures - Curse of Oak Island, America Unearthed, and Ancient Aliens, I love them all.

One thing that absolutely amazes is how a postage stamp sized island off the coast of Nova Scotia has been attracting so many treasure hunters (including FDR) for so long and is now the subject of a TV show that is in its sixth season and nobody has ever actually found anything of substance.

So what if somebody actually managed to find a real treasure? A cache of pirate treasure, a hoard of Confederate gold, the Lost Ark of the Covenant, I don't care. Just something worth a lot of money and that will generate a lot of publicity.
You are not alone. My daughter is laughing why I watch it as they not gonna find anything. And I love Ancient Allienns on Friday. Always fell asleep on sofa and wake up early morning Saturday. So I have full day to do all my chores. :D

Driftless

Donor
I cut cable TV over a year ago, but I used to watch Oak Island regularly. I first learned of Oak Island the same way as Rick Lagina: that Reader's Digest article from many moons ago. The cynic in me believes they're making some money off the search, but they're also plowing a boatload of cash back in as well. Those guys are believers in the search, but they're also not idiots either. I also think Kevin Renner ^ has the correct idea: whatever was there has been removed quietly by one of the earlier searchers.

You are not alone. My daughter is laughing why I watch it as they not gonna find anything. And I love Ancient Allienns on Friday. Always fell asleep on sofa and wake up early morning Saturday. So I have full day to do all my chores. :D
My favorite series was Hunting Hitler. The first season did a good job showing how Nazi were able to leave Germany and get to South America. There was just one problem. They never proved that Hitler survived the Bunker.
The Later season got very Alien Space Bats. They had the Nazi testing Nuclear Blasts in South America and no one noticing. LOL.

I cut cable TV over a year ago, but I used to watch Oak Island regularly. I first learned of Oak Island the same way as Rick Lagina: that Reader's Digest article from many moons ago. The cynic in me believes they're making some money off the search, but they're also plowing a boatload of cash back in as well. Those guys are believers in the search, but they're also not idiots either. I also think Kevin Renner ^ has the correct idea: whatever was there has been removed quietly by one of the earlier searchers.
More and More I wonder if what they claim to be finding on the Show is real or if it something that the producers came up with to keep interest in the show.

I always fiind it rather amusing how, in the late 60s/early 70s, Scooby-Doo, a children's cartoon, took it for granted that occult and alien occurences were fake. Whereas now we've got the History Channel presenting them as plausible.

Driftless

Donor
More and More I wonder if what they claim to be finding on the Show is real or if it something that the producers came up with to keep interest in the show.

Jeez, you are even more of a cynic than me....:openedeyewink: Of course, that would be consistent with most of US "Reality TV"(the supposedly video verite', that's more thoroughly planned out and scripted than any Broadway show).

Still, I'd be content if they can reasonably explore the chambers and tunnels just to see what IS there and what isn't.

I always fiind it rather amusing how, in the late 60s/early 70s, Scooby-Doo, a children's cartoon, took it for granted that occult and alien occurences were fake. Whereas now we've got the History Channel presenting them as plausible.
You got the News referring to people as being from Alternate Universes. Universe A or Universe B and Harvard Astronomers claim that they may have found a Alien Space Craft.
The Writer on the OTL is going very ASB.

Did a lot of reading on this one back in the 1980s. Perhaps my knowledge in obsolete, so if there is anything new raised since 1985 I'll be happy to hear it. All that reading boiled down to a lot of unsubstantiated claims. Many of those could be traced back to scam artists or investors trying to sell their interest off to some one else. The solid evidence seems to boil down to some tools collected from digs on the island and stored in a local museum. These tools are characteristic of those made in the Netherlands, the modern Belgium, and used in the Spanish Empire circa the 16th Century. They are a assortment of carpentry and digging tools, and some fasteners. Less solid evidence is in the testimony of the original mine shaft. The claims of the fibre matting under the shore line rocks, & a few other details. The tools suggest a Spanish ship was ported, beached or stranded on Oak Island, & repaired, or perhaps burned or destroyed in a storm. The Gulf Stream runs a few hundred kilometers south and east of Oak Island & that was the return route of the Spanish treasure ships from the New World to Spain. It is possible one or more of these ships laid up at Oak Island after storm damage off the north American coast. The original explanation, that of a Pirates stop over would be more supported were the tools of English of French make. There is also the suggestion the tools were left by Basque fishermen. Not impossible. tho fishermen working the Grand Banks would be more likely to layover on the New Foundland coast.

Occams Razor would suggest the most likely find at Oak Island would be one of the many lost Spanish cargo or treasure ships. Sunk a few hundred meters off the islands shore. Second most likely would be the pirates treasure or similar stash of legend. Given how throughly the island has been worked over by the near continual stream of two centuries of treasure hunters its unlikely any such thing is there. But, its not impossible.

marathag

Banned
Still, I'd be content if they can reasonably explore the chambers and tunnels just to see what IS there and what isn't.

Somebody put a whole lot of effort into doing that original pit in the first place.
Digging a 150 foot deep unlined well in ground like that was not easy in pre-industrial times

Did a lot of reading on this one back in the 1980s. Perhaps my knowledge in obsolete, so if there is anything new raised since 1985 I'll be happy to hear it. All that reading boiled down to a lot of unsubstantiated claims. Many of those could be traced back to scam artists or investors trying to sell their interest off to some one else. The solid evidence seems to boil down to some tools collected from digs on the island and stored in a local museum. These tools are characteristic of those made in the Netherlands, the modern Belgium, and used in the Spanish Empire circa the 16th Century. They are a assortment of carpentry and digging tools, and some fasteners. Less solid evidence is in the testimony of the original mine shaft. The claims of the fibre matting under the shore line rocks, & a few other details. The tools suggest a Spanish ship was ported, beached or stranded on Oak Island, & repaired, or perhaps burned or destroyed in a storm. The Gulf Stream runs a few hundred kilometers south and east of Oak Island & that was the return route of the Spanish treasure ships from the New World to Spain. It is possible one or more of these ships laid up at Oak Island after storm damage off the north American coast. The original explanation, that of a Pirates stop over would be more supported were the tools of English of French make. There is also the suggestion the tools were left by Basque fishermen. Not impossible. tho fishermen working the Grand Banks would be more likely to layover on the New Foundland coast.

Occams Razor would suggest the most likely find at Oak Island would be one of the many lost Spanish cargo or treasure ships. Sunk a few hundred meters off the islands shore. Second most likely would be the pirates treasure or similar stash of legend. Given how throughly the island has been worked over by the near continual stream of two centuries of treasure hunters its unlikely any such thing is there. But, its not impossible.

Some articles that take a Skeptical Look at Oak Island
http://www.criticalenquiry.org/oakisland/
https://www.csicop.org/si/show/secrets_of_oak_island
https://yankeeskeptic.com/2015/12/08/oak-island-or-swiss-cheese-island-stop-the-digging/
https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4129

I find it really unlikely, that, the treasure of a Spanish ship that laid up at Oak Island after storm damage, would end up in such a complex series of digs and tunnels. Why didn't the Spanish ever go to recover it?

Md139115

Banned
My uncle got interested in Oak Island as a kid off the Reader’s Digest article. When the series was announced, he was excited and asked me what I thought.

I said that it takes at least six months for an episode to be filmed and edited, so if they ever found anything, it would be international headlines long before the episode aired, thus there was zero sense in watching the show when we know that the latest news is nothing.

He watched most of the first season, then agreed that I was right.

My uncle got interested in Oak Island as a kid off the Reader’s Digest article. When the series was announced, he was excited and asked me what I thought.

Point of question, but was that article in the magazine proper? I ask, because I first heard about Oak Island in this book, which was published by Reader's Digest, late 1970s.