Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

I dunno, when you're the top of the pyramid, everyone goes after you. Especially since the US has a fair bit of bones to pick with Germany, justified or not.
I wasn't gunning primarily for the governmental level, rather the street level. And in that case, it is a rather dumb idea to go after the german-americans and their old country. And there are plenty of people who would make a fuss if someone started targeting people depending on from where they immigrated. The alt-USA already had nasty fallout from that once, thus any demagoues will probably go looking for softer targets. Or turn on themselves, as other radical movements have done.

Bottom line is, when the thing does not move forward, the USA are not exempt from the same mechanism which mire other societies.

“Good night then” Kiki replied as the front door swung open and Katherine who must have been waiting for her to get home let her in
.... Why i think that Kat will have a friendly talk with Ben to explain Kiki's mindset quirks and ignorance of some social bits.

Encourage him to be first a friend and let things go naturally... And finish in proper Kat fashion, namely pulling a certainly known knife and check it out, while mentioning that if he EVER tries to get groiny with Kiki before her majority of age, he shortly will be singing Soprano,all with the same tone of voice that one uses to say that today is a nice day.....

Should be the right mix of education, friendship and sheer freak out for Ben to hammer the lesson into his head....

I wasn't gunning primarily for the governmental level, rather the street level. And in that case, it is a rather dumb idea to go after the german-americans and their old country. And there are plenty of people who would make a fuss if someone started targeting people depending on from where they immigrated. The alt-USA already had nasty fallout from that once, thus any demagoues will probably go looking for softer targets. Or turn on themselves, as other radical movements have done.

Bottom line is, when the thing does not move forward, the USA are not exempt from the same mechanism which mire other societies.
No, but at the same time, well, when have people ever been truly "rational"?

As I was reading the last post I kept visualizing it as an episode of The Twilight Zone redone as The Friend Zone, the only thing missing from this was the narration from Rod Sterling.
But I feel for Ben as I been there before many times, one time I thought I was dating this young woman when she told me that she was getting married to her boyfriend who was overseas.

Yeah "The Zone", but this is Kiki, she doesn't have lost of real friends and I am sure Ben is the only young male in the "FZ".
That’s the key! Hang in there Ben. Chances are slim, but the game is not lost yet.
Psychologically, with Cats sisterhood not being normal at all, Ben can be the only strong tie Kiki makes to the life she thinks she wants.

No, but at the same time, well, when have people ever been truly "rational"?
It isn't a thing of rationality. You want a target which is close (that is, can be reached by Joe Plumber) and can't fight back (which german-americans would do, or would be done on their behalf). The basic cowardice of a mob, no different in alt-1960s than in OTL 2018. So-called "activists" (doesn't matter which ideology spawned them) seldom pick targets which put up a fight.

Might sound like a stupid question but has PM won the turtledove before, or has this thread been nominated for it?

Part 82, Chapter 1243
Chapter One Thousand Two Hundred Forty-Three

1st September 1957

Berlin

For Kat, life had fallen into an easy rhythm and she had suddenly discovered that she had far more time to pursue her own projects. She had also been observing Kiki for the last few weeks wondering if should say anything. It was clear to her that Ben was smitten with Kiki, but Kiki had been pursuing her studies with single minded determination and seemed to have no idea of that. The closer that Kiki came to the end of the term, the more it became clear to everyone but Kiki that she had simply taken on too much this time and had set herself up for what was now most likely to end in failure in December. The Headmistress of Kiki’s gymnasia had told Kat as much a few days earlier after Louis had told the Headmistress that Kat was acting as his proxy when it came to matters like Kiki’s education. Unless there was a miracle, Kiki would not be able to meet the criteria required to sit the exams to complete her secondary education. Kat had been speaking with Louis, Douglas and Doctor Berg about what they were going to do when Kiki figured out that her plans would face a setback of at least six months. The hope was that Kiki would take it as a lesson, regroup and keep working until she was truly ready.

Today, Kat found herself in the office of the Mayor of Berlin, a place that had the same feeling as getting sent to the Headmaster’s office when she had been in school. There were few people that she wanted to meet with less than Herbert Frahm, the Mayor himself. The stated reason was that he wanted to discuss with her the plans she had for Alexanderplatz. The truth was that Frahm wanted to be seen meeting with her for political reasons.

It was all the result of the Press playing up the informal title that they had given her as Gräfin Katherine of Berlin, the Tigress of Pankow complete with the banner that hung from the ceiling in the Luftwaffe Exhibition in the Military Museum used frequently. Kat couldn’t help but notice over the years that the red cat had turned orange and now had black stripes. It somehow signified the roll she played in the city though Kat found it increasingly hard to see how.

Kat had told Helene and Doug about how absurd she found the whole thing and they had different reactions. Doug had said that she ought to consider it a compliment and go about her life as she normally would. Helene had said that she thought that there was more at play, her perspective that was people were looking for something and they found it in her. Some of the more recent immigrants from the Far East had even gone so far as to suggest that Kat was somehow an avatar of the city itself, that her life closely mirrored that of the city of her birth for the last three and half decades. Helene had laughed when Kat had first told her about that. “It does explain the traffic snarls early in the morning” is what Helene had said. Kat’s reaction had been to follow Doug’s advice to a degree, told them thank you and then calmly but firmly told them to stay away from her and her family.

“As you can see from the blueprints” Kat said, “The idea is for a series of buildings with open floorplans on the bottom floors.”

“And what is the business model for this?” Frahm asked.

“It varies” Kat replied, “The individual stalls are to be rented out on a seasonal, weekly or daily basis, the other parts of the building are to provide the needed infrastructure for the renters. The close proximity to the river and rail network is a plus as well.”

“An old-fashioned farmer’s market” Frahm said, “Except with refrigeration and out of the elements.”

“There is a bit more to it than that” Kat replied, “I have been in contact with several craftsmen in various trades who would enjoy having the space to work and sell their wares as well.”

“What does that look like in practical terms?”

“Imagine if you have a restaurant and need fifty kilos of potatoes every day” Kat said, “You also need the bins to hold them fabricated as well. To name one example.”

“Interesting” Frahm replied, “But considering the overhead of such a project, I don’t know how much of a profit you would make.”

“Profits would be nice but not necessarily the goal, this is going to be a cooperative effort run by a nonprofit corporation” Kat replied. She saw Frahm’s eyes narrow when he heard that. There were rumors about the size and source of Kat’s fortune. Considering that the truth seemed implausible, few of them came close to scratching the surface. Kat setting up a nonprofit, presumably for tax reasons was entirely in keeping with that. The truth was that she wanted to create something new and unique. It would also serve the purpose of helping out independent craftsmen, small farmers and business. Groups that Kat felt needed support anyway.

“It all sounds a bit utopian” Frahm said.

“Perhaps” Kat replied, “But everyone involved is a realist, so it’s expected to work.”

“If it will then how come no one has ever tried anything quite like this before?” Frahm asked.

Kat just smiled at that, the Mayor wasn’t looking far enough back. Things like this had been done for centuries, just not quite like this.

Last edited:
So, a mall prototype, then? Get in on the ground floor of that (so to speak), and you're set.

Seems more like an old style market/bazaar than a mall.

If it's not concerned with squeezing out every possible penny, it might just work.

Then again, it might fail. Either way, it is an inspired choice.

I think that this project will have a bigger impact then anybody realize, throw in Television City and this will become one of hottest spots for tourists from around the world.
With an increase in immigrants from the Far East, the restaurants and shops will spur an increasingly demand in Asian foods and ingredients which will in turn allow farmers in Germany to grow specialty items that are more profitable then what they are growing now.
What it should also have plans for is a space for performing arts that will give this place a vibe that no other place in Berlin has.

I think that this project will have a bigger impact then anybody realize, throw in Television City and this will become one of hottest spots for tourists from around the world.
With an increase in immigrants from the Far East, the restaurants and shops will spur an increasingly demand in Asian foods and ingredients which will in turn allow farmers in Germany to grow specialty items that are more profitable then what they are growing now.
What it should also have plans for is a space for performing arts that will give this place a vibe that no other place in Berlin has.
Given things, it's going to be an historical spot in Berlin, a revitalization of the old market concept but also aimed at the multitude of cultures from the World that are now a part of the "Heart of Eurasia".....

At the same time, it will further open the German Palates to new experiences in food, drinks and other stuff......

"Non Profit"....... Suuure......

From an earlier post about Nancy meeting with wives of the Marine Infantry, I believe it was mentioned that a couple of the wives were from Mexico so imagine a shop that sells freshly made corn and flour tortillas by Juanita Sanchez Schmidt.

From an earlier post about Nancy meeting with wives of the Marine Infantry, I believe it was mentioned that a couple of the wives were from Mexico so imagine a shop that sells freshly made corn and flour tortillas by Juanita Sanchez Schmidt.

Chiliwurst too.