A New Coat of Arms Thread

2 variants for you:

For Visheslav1.png
For Visheslav2.png

Perhaps something similar to this one of Ingolstadt in Bavaria?
197px-Wappen_Ingolstadt.svg.png

I love it. Especially since the panther-dragon thing looks a lot like (is?) the Caranthian Panther. The second variant is excellent. I dont like the 1st one as much, since it compresses an already thin charge a lot. But I reallz like the second one. Thanks. I'll see if anyone else does something, but i'll probably end up using yours.

That basically sounds like Slovenia. Would you not want to use their arms and modify it?

There's a couple of reasons. First of all, Slovenia's current COA uses modern symbols, and its main blazon is Mt. Triglav, a mountain in Slovenia, so it relies on geography for its symbols. Another (older) coat of arms comes from the symbols of the Croatian "Illyrian movement", which would have no influence over this state. The Carniolan coat of arms comes from the rulers of that area as well. Also, this state was not part of Austria, so there is another big difference between the major heraldic influences in Slovenia and this alternate state.

I love it. Especially since the panther-dragon thing looks a lot like (is?) the Caranthian Panther. The second variant is excellent. I dont like the 1st one as much, since it compresses an already thin charge a lot. But I reallz like the second one. Thanks. I'll see if anyone else does something, but i'll probably end up using yours.
Yeah it's the continental heraldic panther that's associated with old Carantanian lands and thus also used in Austria and Bavaria.
I've used a recoloured one that was apparently the old arms of Austria. Author unknown according to Wikipedia Commons copyright.

is there any chance you could remove the motto and fill half of the escutcheon with the british royal standard?
I don't have the working file anymore, so if I were to do it it would take a long time to get it to look good. Anyone else is free to use or modify it for you though.

2 variants for you:
Yikes. Not about the quality of your work, I am just imagining if they tried making the top of those two centuries ago. Coats of arms from back then and now certainly have changed in precision. That, and people now know what loins and dolphins look like. Not that those would exactly help them in making things with dragons.

View attachment 439382
Design for a British United States coat of arms that I'm no longer using for an in-the-works timeline.
The purple heart is not the most appealing shade or color. I am guessing this was a placeholder for putting down a Purple Heart of some sort to symbolize a medal? Though I suppose medals and orders were mostly for the coat of arms of people. If you do a similar coat of arms later, I would suggest keeping the arrowheads and the leaves and such of the olive branches visible. Anyways, can you give any details of this planned timeline of yours? I can only imagine how complicated the coat of arms might get.

Yikes. Not about the quality of your work, I am just imagining if they tried making the top of those two centuries ago. Coats of arms from back then and now certainly have changed in precision. That, and people now know what loins and dolphins look like. Not that those would exactly help them in making things with dragons.

The purple heart is not the most appealing shade or color. I am guessing this was a placeholder for putting down a Purple Heart of some sort to symbolize a medal? Though I suppose medals and orders were mostly for the coat of arms of people. If you do a similar coat of arms later, I would suggest keeping the arrowheads and the leaves and such of the olive branches visible. Anyways, can you give any details of this planned timeline of yours? I can only imagine how complicated the coat of arms might get.
The purple heart is the order color, descendant of the Order of Military Merit but not a replacement for the modern Purple Heart medal.
The timeline is still being worked on, just not ready to post yet so I won't say too much. The American colonies stays apart of Britain as a dominion, though this is not the POD.

Not quite sure I follow you. There was no set standard of depiction or art for heraldry. Various heralds could all produce slightly different versions of the same arms and none were definitive - a badly drawn panther would still be a panther.

The middle coat of arms of the Empire of Louisiana in Another America:

dczge4k-69b71d5d-e24e-4f1e-be5c-29c72e897118.png

The imperial arms of Louisiana feature a pelican in her piety symbolizing Louisiana itself, three fleurs-de-lis under a white label representing the House of Orleans, a deer and bear as supporters to symbolize the vast and untamed wilderness of North America, a compartment of cotton representing the plantation economy, flags of Louisiana, a modified version of the Crown of Orleans, and the Order of the Holy Spirit.

I'd like some ideas for symbols and arms of a protestant-ish Anglo-Danish-Dutch union formed in the late 1500s.
I agree that lions (leopards for England, in the heraldic sense) are likely to be the most prominent feature(s) in the arms. The details depend on how the union occurs, of course - which nation is senior will determine which gets the first quarter of the arms - or could there be different versions, like the OTL Scottish and English royal arms, for the different nations? Is the Kalmar Union or other territories which were attached to the Danish crown around then a part of this too? I'm thinking of the various elements of the arms of Christian IV of Denmark - he was King of Norway and Duke of Schleswig and Holstein as well. For 'Dutch' what parts or which family is involved? Nassau? That could change the use of a lion rampant or lions passant.

Are you thinking of supporters as well? A flag of the union - with different potential versions like the OTL Scottish-English union flag proposals?

Lions? Might not be the most interesting option, but it's one they arguably all have in common.

I agree that lions (leopards for England, in the heraldic sense) are likely to be the most prominent feature(s) in the arms. The details depend on how the union occurs, of course - which nation is senior will determine which gets the first quarter of the arms - or could there be different versions, like the OTL Scottish and English royal arms, for the different nations? Is the Kalmar Union or other territories which were attached to the Danish crown around then a part of this too? I'm thinking of the various elements of the arms of Christian IV of Denmark - he was King of Norway and Duke of Schleswig and Holstein as well. For 'Dutch' what parts or which family is involved? Nassau? That could change the use of a lion rampant or lions passant.

Are you thinking of supporters as well? A flag of the union - with different potential versions like the OTL Scottish-English union flag proposals?
For simplicity I'm thinking no Kalmar, with a union between Denmark (inc Estonia) and England (inc Ireland) around the time of a similar Dutch revolt who offer Protectorate status which develops into a crown itself.
I was thinking over the base flag a wreath and variants of joint arms.
Edit: It is ideas for the wreath and perhaps a symbol replacing the arms that I'm after.
The original version used EII's wreath and a sun.

Last edited:
How about a wreath of oak leaves? Oaks are common in all those countries and important for building ships - I assume this union has a fairly strong naval tradition, given the members?
If you use arms in the middle, it's probably quarters of the Danish lion, English leopards/lions, Dutch lion/lions and maybe the Estonian lions as well, if you don't want to repeat a quarter. Seniority would be Denmark, England, Netherlands, Estonia I think - but with the 'home nation' getting the first quarter in their own variant.
For a symbol instead of arms, maybe a lion head or, again assuming a naval tradition, a galley? If the union is getting into the exploration/colony game, then a stylised compass rose might also work - sort of symbolising the world, but without using a map (I agree with you about maps on flags!).
Depending on the strength of the 'protestant-ish' basis of the union, a Luther rose might also work.