Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Meanwhile I am trying to decide what I should do for my next CK2 game/aar since HIP is being updated. mainly atm trying to decide between either:

1.) reformed Slavic Pagan Kievan Rus, so starting from tribal and moving to feudal and establishing a slavic empire.
2.) Al-Andalus, starting under one of the Ummayds(closest to the date before the Taifas as possible) and take over the rest of Iberia, and maybe show that Ummayds > Abbassids :p

Meanwhile I am trying to decide what I should do for my next CK2 game/aar since HIP is being updated. mainly atm trying to decide between either:

1.) reformed Slavic Pagan Kievan Rus, so starting from tribal and moving to feudal and establishing a slavic empire.
2.) Al-Andalus, starting under one of the Ummayds(closest to the date before the Taifas as possible) and take over the rest of Iberia, and maybe show that Ummayds > Abbassids :p
I suggest Kievan Rus', to play with the new reformation mechanics. They are quite fun.

Since the game has both aggressive and defensive pagans, do you think it would make sense for rulers belonging to those religions to have their stewardship score wax and wane proportionally to their fortunes as either conquerors or defenders?

No, not really. Stewardship represents the ability to administer a territory, and stands quite independant of one's fortunes in war. An opinion bonus or malus with characters of the same faith would make sense, though.

I know what stewardship represents, but it also affects the size of a character's demesne (+5 stewardship = +1 province). I wanted to create a situation where a character could increase their demesne's size without their vassals griping about it being too big because they've just shown why they're the top dog.

Alternatively, would it be possible to have the demesne limit calculated from stewardship + martial?

I've always felt that the building system in CK2 was just too shallow, and that whilst Flogi's is a good upgrade, I've decided to have a crack at this sort of thing myself. I'm going to make my own building mod, in the vein of the one that could be found in Lux Invicta, but more hierarchical and with the aim of making provinces more unique and giving more thought to the selection of provinces beyond how many holding slots they might have or whether or not they're a coastal province.

So, some concepts for what'll be Caek's Building Mod. I plan to make this thing publicly available on the Workshop if I do well enough, but for now, some basic concepts.

1. Buildings in a province should be an interrelated weave of buildings with dependencies on other buildings in the province - you shouldn't be able to just build straight towards a doom fortress of a castle without any supporting infrastructure or craftsmen to do it with.

2. Province terrain types should have a meaningful impact on how that province develops. The resources and construction possibilities of a mountainous region such as the Alps are radically different than those you can find in Jerusalem, or in the middle of France. Different terrain types should have access to different building chains, using the game's inbuilt system of terrain requirements to determine what building sets a province should have.

3. Troop composition should be influenced by the above to give different geographical regions more flavor and to better match the actual realities on the ground. It doesn't make sense for a mountain realm to be rolling out as much heavy cavalry as people in the fields of France with plenty of pasture lands, but it would make sense for them to be

4. Buildings should be both a meaningful investment of resources with a meaningful impact on the game at large - even if they are just a drop in the bucket, they should still have an impact on the game, even a small one.

5. It should represent well the structure and realities of the Medieval world.

6. It should offer some impact on events and other possible courses of action.

7. Cities, Castles and Temples should have meaningful differences both in how they are developed and how they are

8. Education should be of consideration.

Fortunately, I'm actually rather well versed with modding CK, and all of the above should be possible. Basically, the building list will be divided into three major categories: militarization (containing things to do with levies, retinues and fortifications), economic development (containing things to do with infrastructure, resource gathering and craftsmanship, that sort of thing) and cultural development (containing things to do with entertainment, education and some administrative functions), with Castles, Cities and Temples specializing in one area. I'm thinking about having a special "building" for each province that can't be upgraded by construction, but by event, which would act as a gateway for things like education level and other conditional things, but we'll see :p

All in all though, I think this would be rather fun to build and play!

I've always felt that the building system in CK2 was just too shallow, and that whilst Flogi's is a good upgrade, I've decided to have a crack at this sort of thing myself. I'm going to make my own building mod, in the vein of the one that could be found in Lux Invicta, but more hierarchical and with the aim of making provinces more unique and giving more thought to the selection of provinces beyond how many holding slots they might have or whether or not they're a coastal province.

So, some concepts for what'll be Caek's Building Mod. I plan to make this thing publicly available on the Workshop if I do well enough, but for now, some basic concepts.

1. Buildings in a province should be an interrelated weave of buildings with dependencies on other buildings in the province - you shouldn't be able to just build straight towards a doom fortress of a castle without any supporting infrastructure or craftsmen to do it with.

2. Province terrain types should have a meaningful impact on how that province develops. The resources and construction possibilities of a mountainous region such as the Alps are radically different than those you can find in Jerusalem, or in the middle of France. Different terrain types should have access to different building chains, using the game's inbuilt system of terrain requirements to determine what building sets a province should have.

3. Troop composition should be influenced by the above to give different geographical regions more flavor and to better match the actual realities on the ground. It doesn't make sense for a mountain realm to be rolling out as much heavy cavalry as people in the fields of France with plenty of pasture lands, but it would make sense for them to be

4. Buildings should be both a meaningful investment of resources with a meaningful impact on the game at large - even if they are just a drop in the bucket, they should still have an impact on the game, even a small one.

5. It should represent well the structure and realities of the Medieval world.

6. It should offer some impact on events and other possible courses of action.

7. Cities, Castles and Temples should have meaningful differences both in how they are developed and how they are

Fortunately, I'm actually rather well versed with modding CK, and all of the above should be possible. Basically, the building list will be divided into three major categories: militarization (containing things to do with levies, retinues and fortifications), economic development (containing things to do with infrastructure, resource gathering and craftsmanship, that sort of thing) and cultural development (containing things to do with entertainment, education and some administrative functions), with Castles, Cities and Temples specializing in one area. I'm thinking about having a special "building" for each province that can't be upgraded by construction, but by event, which would act as a gateway for things like education level and other conditional things, but we'll see :p

All in all though, I think this would be rather fun to build and play!
Two questions:
1. Do you accept cash, or would you prefer a temple in your name? :p
2. Any chance of an AGOT submod port?

Two questions:
1. Do you accept cash, or would you prefer a temple in your name? :p
Temples will do, but if you really want to make me happy, name your genius heir for me :p

2. Any chance of an AGOT submod port?
I'm not too sure how well that'd work, but depending on how things go, I might actually do it. It depends how large the final product actually becomes.

But there is one thing I'm already building, and I've decided to put a screenshot of into this post as a teaser.

OAxJKaq.jpg

In a nutshell, I'll be doing some changes to the government system as well as to the building tree, and already have a few things built. Consider this a sneak peak of an upcoming dev diary :p

So, Reformed Hellenic is laughably OP. Hard to get there (I went bankrupt building temples and had to fight off lots of revolts, but I made it by the skin of my teeth), but it comes with pre-installed haruspicy AND astrology, which means it comes with the best society in the game (hermetics) AND a holy order, a monastic society, and a warrior lodge! The warrior lodge is merely OK but comes with a nice trait, though it's nowhere near as powerful as the insanely OP Romuva warrior lodge (which lets you spend renown for free castle upgrades, essentially letting you spam castles and rapidly build them up to a functional level so long as you have renown, which is pretty easy to gain), but even though the Civilized trait is nerfed for the Byzantines (they find it easiest to go hellenic, I've found), that still leaves open a slot for Ancestor Veneration or Seafaring. I was an idiot and took Divine marriage to test out the mechanics, but even then...this religion is OP.

Also, the moment my vassals got Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan for me, I was able to start sucking up to China. So now my dynasty is half Han and Jurchen ethnically, I'm married to a Chinese princess, and I'm stocked up on kickass artifacts, plus I have the following bloodlines:
--Stewardship forged bloodline, lets me build special castle buildings
--Warrior lodge bloodline from my 2nd Restored Roman Emperor, gives slight duel bonus (basic bloodline but appreciated)
--Alexander bloodline (broke the bank but well worth the bankruptcy and chaos in the long term)
--Bloodline for restoring the Roman Empire.

I un-landed the Pope and the HRE is in chaos because they keep losing ground to the Ummayad Empire, the newly-reformed Norse meritocratic sons of ragnarok faith under Fylkir King Starkadr Sigurdrsson of Svibjod (son of Sigurdr Hringr and brother to Ragnarr Lothbrok), the Bohemians who were Slaivc but went Catholic and then imploded into civil chaos, the Fraticelli Germans who clawed their way out, and the Austrasians who pulled out of Charlie's empire just before he declared the HRE.

Yeah.

Oh, and some Pecheneg bandit went on an adventure and captured Cologne and he's a Manichean. And Britain is a mess of competing heresies.

So I've been away from this game for a while, but decided to start up a new game as the Byzantines, and maybe finally get around to actually earning achievments. Only, apparently in the time I've been gone Paradox has instituted and electoral system of succession for some goddamn reason, and I can't even freaking SWITCH either? What. The. Hell?

Ah well, time to go into the game files and fix this bloody stupid crap and give up on achievements yet again.

Imperial Elective. It does not work like ordinary elective - for one thing, the Emperor's vote is highly powerful. It is supposed to represent the sort of shenanigans there could be around succession.

So I've been away from this game for a while, but decided to start up a new game as the Byzantines, and maybe finally get around to actually earning achievments. Only, apparently in the time I've been gone Paradox has instituted and electoral system of succession for some goddamn reason, and I can't even freaking SWITCH either? What. The. Hell?

Ah well, time to go into the game files and fix this bloody stupid crap and give up on achievements yet again.
Byzantine succession was never primogeniture, nor even hereditary.

Btw you won't be able to play with achievements if you edit the game files.

You can vote for your preferred heir rather than your eldest (if they qualify, eg. aren't mutilated), the Marshal and commanders under the emperor being valid candidates represent the army being able to declare their general Emperor (this is helped by the fact that high-martial commanders and marshal are set to appeal to the electors). Nothing for co-Emperors, though. Closest, and it is a very distant closest, is that the Despot honorary titles counts as Born in the Purple for the purposes of Imperial elective.

And there’s no option in the game to name a co-Emperor, choose an heir yourself, or have the army declare their general Emperor. So what’s your point?
The point is that Imperial Elective is still a far more accurate succession mechanism than primogeniture or normal elective. I have my issues with it, yes (e.g. commanders having to be landed, which is idiotic), but it’s better than the alternatives.

Temples will do, but if you really want to make me happy, name your genius heir for me :p
Alright, will do. :biggrin:
I'm not too sure how well that'd work, but depending on how things go, I might actually do it. It depends how large the final product actually becomes.
I really hope you do. As much as I enjoy AGOT in CK2, the castle building really could do with some improving. It's not terrible, but it could definitely be better.

When you say Education should be of consideration, does that mean you're also going to rework Education traits? Or are you just going to have the vanilla education trait play a role on what you can build?

Just curious, because of your last post showing that you're also doing something about Governments.

But there is one thing I'm already building, and I've decided to put a screenshot of into this post as a teaser.

OAxJKaq.jpg

In a nutshell, I'll be doing some changes to the government system as well as to the building tree, and already have a few things built. Consider this a sneak peak of an upcoming dev diary :p

I've also been working on an early feudal submod for him. Really does need a work through.