Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

A song written in between the Second Mexican War and the Great War, 'Over There' was written to drum up support for any future wars with the Confederacy, with the lyric 'Send the word to beware' being meant as a warning to the Confederacy. In the Great War, it became a popular pastime to shout the lyrics to Confederate trenches to mock the opposing soldiers. In the Second Great War, when Richmond fell, a newspaper headline read 'WE ARE OVER HERE' alongside a image of a burning Richmond skyline.

A song written in between the Second Mexican War and the Great War, 'Over There' was written to drum up support for any future wars with the Confederacy, with the lyric 'Send the word to beware' being meant as a warning to the Confederacy. In the Great War, it became a popular pastime to shout the lyrics to Confederate trenches to mock the opposing soldiers. In the Second Great War, when Richmond fell, a newspaper headline read 'WE ARE OVER HERE' alongside a image of a burning Richmond skyline.

In real-life, this song was written in mid-1917.

However, I suppose some kind of variant of the song could have been made earlier and contained anti-Confederate lyrics that bring back memories of the War of Secession and the Second Mexican War. I can also see the song having some lyrical additions during and after the First Great War

Good job, Nathan Bernacki.

Alterwright, here are some more names for your Reputation Reports for Pre-Secession individuals:

Toussaint L'Ouverture
Jean-Jacques Dessalines
Nat Turner
Harriet Beecher Stowe
John Brown
Frederick Douglass
Clara Barton
Napoleon Bonaparte
Napoleon III

@Alterwright, me and @Joshua Ben Ari talked about it, and want would be most interesting is Canadian Reputation Reports for Pre-Secession individuals.

1: James Wolfe.

2: Guy Carleton.

3: Sir Isaac Brock.

4: William Lyon Mackenzie.

5: Laura Secord.

6: Lord Durham.

We think the US demonizes most Canadian historical figures, while the CSA and Britain portrays them in a far more positive light. And in Occupied Canada, they're damn near mythologized. Especially Lord Dorchester (Carleton), Brock, Wolfe, and Laura Secord. (More so when Canada gains independents in oh say 1990.)

Mackenzie would be the most interesting case. The US portraying Mackenzie as the future of Canadian integration into the United States - the idea of Canadian republicanism, throwing the British out, pointing that Mackenzie drew on the inspiration from the US itself and his exile in New York. The CSA might have a more complex view of the man, if only because they're allied to the British and Canadians, but they are a republic. So they might portray Mackenzie as a man who had good intentions but fundamentally flawed.

Diehard Canadian nationalists demonizing Mackenzie.

A squad of U.S. paratroopers checking their machine gun prior to the assault on Missionary Ridge. The man in the middle with his head lowered is Sergeant Jared Barowski. His actions during the assault would earn him the Medal of Honor.

95aa6e34571b253ed670a89044f594ed.jpg

Alterwright, here are some more names for your Reputation Reports for Pre-
Secession individuals:

Toussaint L'Ouverture
Jean-Jacques Dessalines
Nat Turner
Harriet Beecher Stowe
John Brown
Frederick Douglass
Clara Barton
Napoleon Bonaparte
Napoleon
III
Toussaint L'Ouverture would probably be a mythologized martyr and seen as a predecessor to the Red Rebellions by the Confederate-Blacks and Black Communists. While White Confederates would see him also as a predecessor to the Red Rebellions but in a completely negative sense. I could easily see during the Red Rebellion, Toussaint's image being invoked by both Blacks and Whites as propaganda but with entirely different intents.

In the US, probably a minor figure but when he comes probably on positive terms due to their alliance with Haiti and also sticking it to the French.

Last edited:
Events That Lead to the First Great War
  • Second Mexican War (1881-1882)
    • A war that was initially fought between the United States and Confederate States for the Confederate purchase of the Mexican land from Mexico; Britain, France and Mexico joined the war on the side of the Confederates and forced the United States to accept the legality of the territorial purchase. This would result in the development of an American Revanchist ideology, often called Remembrance, and a closer relationship between Germany and the United States.
  • Quadruple Alliance (1882)
    • Formed on May 20, 1882, the Quadruple Alliance was an agreement between Germany, Austria-Hungary, Italy, and the United States. The agreement allowed each country to support each other militarily if it were attacked by Britain, France, Russia, or the Confederacy. The option of neutrality was a guaranteed option. The Kingdom of Romania would later join on October 18, 1883 and given the name "Quintuple Alliance".
  • U.S.-Confederate Naval Arms Race (1885-1914)
    • After the end of Blaine's and Longstreet's presidencies, the was a competition between the USA and CSA to develop the strength of their navies. While both nations were able to significantly make their navy stronger, the USA was able to create more warships than the Confederacy.
  • Mayerling Incident (1889)
    • The murder-suicide of the heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, Crown Prince Rudolf, and his mistress Baroness Mary Vetsera, caused a major scandal within the Hapsburg family and a lack of an heir caused the line of succession to go to Archduke Karl Ludwig, father of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.
  • Franco-Russian Alliance (1894)
    • An agreement of mutual support between France and Russia was created as a response to the Quadruple Alliance, the increasing strength of the German Empire, and the poor relations between France and Germany, and Russia and Germany.
  • U.S.-Haitian Mutual Support Treaty (1895)
    • To prevent more Confederate meddling in the Caribbean, President Thomas Brackett Reed signed a treaty between Haiti and the United States that guaranteed cooperation and military aid between them. Despite much outcry from the Confederacy, nothing else could be done to prevent this from occurring.
  • Nicaraguan Crisis (1897)
    • When word got out that the Confederate government was negotiating a plan with the Nicaraguan government to make a canal, the United States under Alfred Thayer Mahan threatened to go to war with the Confederacy. An international war nearly occurred and the Confederacy backed down after Britain and France refused to interfere.
  • Anglo-Confederate Alliance (1898)
    • After being forced to give up building a canal in Nicaragua, the Confederacy sought an official agreement with Britain. In the event of a future conflict occurring in North America, Britain would support the Confederacy and vice-versa.
  • Anglo-German Naval Arms Race (1898-1912)
    • Britain and Germany increased production for the number of warships.
  • Hispano-Japanese War (1901-1902)
    • Shortly after the Boxer Rebellion, Japan began to conquer the Philippines from Spain. A short war occurred and Spain was forced to give up their territory. News of the result of the war shocked the world since no Asian power had won against a European one, albeit a weak European power. This forced Czar Nicholas II to reconsider his imperial ambitions and agree to give Japan control of the Korean Peninsula in exchange for Russian control of Manchuria.
  • Venezuela Naval Blockade (1902-1903)
    • Another close call to an international war, Britain, Germany and Italy tried to force Venezuela to pay back their foreign debts and damages caused to their respective citizens during the Venezuelan Civil War. The United States was able to convince Germany and Italy to back down from their naval blockade, but threatened war with Britain and was threatened by the Confederacy. A compromise was reached for Venezuela to reasonably pay off their debts to their creditors.
  • Entente Cordial (1904)
    • A series of mutual agreements were made between Britain and France, which caused their diplomatic relations to improve.
  • First Moroccan Crisis (1905-1906)
    • Also known as the Tangiers Crisis, the crisis was over the status of sovereignty for Morocco, which Germany supported but France was against it.
  • Anglo-Russian Entente (1907)
    • An agreement between Britain and Russia that shaped spheres of influence between them in Persia. This would eventually lead to the Triple Entente between Britain, France, and Russia. The Confederacy would later join and be renamed "Quadruple Entente".
  • Bosnian Crisis (1908-1909)
    • Austria-Hungary annexed Bosnia & Herzegovina. Bulgaria declared independence from the Ottoman Empire. Most of the Entente complained and did not want to see this happen. Austria-Hungary and Bulgaria got what they wanted.
  • Mexican-Confederate Alliance (1910)
    • The Second Empire of Mexico and the Confederacy signed an agreement that would support each other militarily in case of war with the United States, although it gave Mexico the option of neutrality.
  • Second Moroccan Crisis (1911)
    • Also called the Agadir Crisis, French control of Morocco was established, despite German protests and threat of war.
  • Italo-Turkish War (1911-1912)
    • A war that occurred between the Kingdom of Italy and the Ottoman Empire. Resulted in Italian control of Libya and other territorial gains.
  • Balkan Wars (1912-1913)
    • The Balkan nations fought against the Ottoman Empire for independence and won.
  • Assassination Franz Ferdinand (1914)
    • Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, are assassinated in Sarajevo.
  • July Crisis (1914)
    • Nations in North America and Europe begin to follow their respective treaties in support of their allies, resulting in the First Great War to begin on July 28, 1914.
Inspiration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Events_leading_to_World_War_I

*The ones that are italicized are events that only happened in TL-191 OR happened slightly different compared to OTL. For example, the Quadruple Alliance did occur in real life but was called the Triple Alliance and did not involve the United States.
**It's implied that it was a bomb that killed the Archduke and not a gunshot. Therefore, Nedeljko Čabrinović, and not Gavrilo Princip, would be known as the assassin who killed Franz Ferdinand. I would have preferred for Turtledove to have kept Gavrilo Princip as the man who started the Great War. Just a minor disagreement.

Last edited:
I'm surprise there nothing of TL-191 Assassin's Creed. OTL, The Assassins backed the Union while the Templars the South. I think the biggest irony is the Templars helped Featherston rise to power, thinking he be a useful pawn...only to backfire as he purges the American Templars and takes full control.

As for AC: III....Connor would be a African American, or something like that. (I need not explain the reasons for that one.)

I would have preferred for Turtledove to have kept Gavrilo Princip as the man who started the Great War. Just a minor disagreement.
Same. If you actually read about that day, there's no way anybody but Princip could've been the one who killed the Archduke. I don't see how the CSA winning the war leads to the bomb hitting the Archduke's car.

90b0f918-d68c-47bc-bcad-d2fa1731b632.jpg

Confederate troops preparing for an attack on Union lines during the winter of 1941, sporting a recoilless rifle atop a jackal field car. Notably many Confederate soldiers found themselves ill prepared for the biting cold that their northern rivals were well accustomed to.

aed37498-9e9e-4964-8069-efa323e28136.jpg

Union troops taking a moment to enjoy a recently acquired meal while off duty, within occupied Confederate territory during the final months of the war.

Alterwright, here are some more names for your Reputation Reports for Pre-Secession individuals:

Toussaint L'Ouverture
Jean-Jacques Dessalines
Nat Turner
Harriet Beecher Stowe
John Brown
Frederick Douglass
Clara Barton
Napoleon Bonaparte
Napoleon III
@Alterwright, me and @Joshua Ben Ari talked about it, and want would be most interesting is Canadian Reputation Reports for Pre-Secession individuals.

1: James Wolfe.

2: Guy Carleton.

3: Sir Isaac Brock.

4: William Lyon Mackenzie.

5: Laura Secord.

6: Lord Durham.

We think the US demonizes most Canadian historical figures, while the CSA and Britain portrays them in a far more positive light. And in Occupied Canada, they're damn near mythologized. Especially Lord Dorchester (Carleton), Brock, Wolfe, and Laura Secord. (More so when Canada gains independents in oh say 1990.)

Mackenzie would be the most interesting case. The US portraying Mackenzie as the future of Canadian integration into the United States - the idea of Canadian republicanism, throwing the British out, pointing that Mackenzie drew on the inspiration from the US itself and his exile in New York. The CSA might have a more complex view of the man, if only because they're allied to the British and Canadians, but they are a republic. So they might portray Mackenzie as a man who had good intentions but fundamentally flawed.

Diehard Canadian nationalists demonizing Mackenzie.

@Historyman 14 @Allochronian --- Its very surprising to me that you guys want me to do more of these! I appreciate the enthusiasm for them.

You know, you're more than welcome to do some of these yourself, right? I never claimed to have a monopoly on making these. My interpretations are not always that sound anyway, so you guys are more than welcomed to do some of these proposals too!

@Historyman 14 @Allochronian --- Its very surprising to me that you guys want me to do more of these! I appreciate the enthusiasm for them.

You know, you're more than welcome to do some of these yourself, right? I never claimed to have a monopoly on making these. My interpretations are not always that sound anyway, so you guys are more than welcomed to do some of these proposals too!

True, but I like your style of doing them. There are some posters on here that have a special talent that others might not, such as map-making, Wiki-Box editing, making original content, or story-building.

Any chance for a German Raj or Indian Legion in timeline 191?
View attachment 439347 View attachment 439348 View attachment 439349

Yeah, a German Raj is very, very unlikely in my opinion. I don't see that happening in TL-191 - it would have been big news, enough for turtledove to mention it. The British might have lost the Great War and given up some territory in Africa, but they would never give up India, the jewel in their crown, without some serious say in the matter.

However, an Indian Legion I can definitely still see forming in TL-191. Instead of recruits signing on under Nazis, we'd get recruits signing on with an Imperial German led army. I'd have to read up more about this, but apparently some recruits were a bit reluctant to sign on with the Indian Legion due to serious misgivings about fascism and whether or not they're benefactors were really backing them with a mind to liberate India. Who knows how the average Indian recruit might feel if they signed on in TL-191 under an Imperial German banner.

The Flag of the United States of America Before the First Great War

us-1859.gif

Official Flag with 33 stars

flgfhis1000024680_-00_fort-sumter-3ftx5ft-printed-polyester.jpg

Fort Sumter Flag

Flag_of_the_United_States_(Southern_Victory) small.png

Another Variation of the 33-star flag

images

Third Variation of the 33-star Flag

us-33gs.gif

"Great Star" design of the 33-star Flag

*I edited the third flag by removing one star in the middle. Some of you may recognize the flag from the Turtledove wiki. It should be 33, not 34 stars. Why Turtledove couldn't spend a few seconds to correct this mistake is beyond me...

Last edited:
*I edited the third flag by removing one star in the middle. Some of you may recognize the flag from the Turtledove wiki. It should be 33, not 34 stars. Why Turtledove couldn't spend a few seconds to correct this mistake is beyond me...
To be fair, I don't think Turtledove is the one creating and editing the articles on the Turtledove Wiki.