The problem is that they cannot as to do so would mean the end of the ruling military junta. A junta's whose pride and desperate desire to stay in power has seen them pick a fight with the British, a fight they cannot win.

And yet, from our own timeline, we know how this story is going to end, more or less.

Juntas which lose wars generally become ex-juntas.

SsgtC

Banned
And yet, from our own timeline, we know how this story is going to end, more or less.

Juntas which lose wars generally become ex-juntas.
I think they're basically praying that they can make taking the islands so costly in terms of blood that the UK will negotiate some sort of settlement that lets the Junta save face. Yes, it's ridiculous. But they're desperate.

I think they're basically praying that they can make taking the islands so costly in terms of blood that the UK will negotiate some sort of settlement that lets the Junta save face. Yes, it's ridiculous. But they're desperate.

This is where somebody needs to offer them a comfortable retirement somewhere. Nice villas and plenty of liquor and prostitutes...

I'm sure they are!

But they're losing THIS Falklands War even more badly than they did the one in our timeline.

Nearest one hate their guts...
Yeah, I didn't even start to consider Pinochett... unless he pulled a fast one, pretending to walk to help them ("si, si, come, I help.") and them slaming them on irons and ship them back to Argentina's new democratic governemt, for laughs and international points...

Good sarcasm! :D

Sadly no!

Its actually what the Junta leaders told that US politician fellow (Alexander Haig?) who was trying to make a deal at the time

They also told him that Britain had not been at war with anyone since 1945 (These were so called military men as well)

Needless to say he was floored by these comments and reminded them that Thatcher had allowed IRA hunger strikers to die etc

They seriously never noticed Korea, the Malaysian Emergency, Kenya or Oman? Or even that the British were cutting the tripes out of the Egyptians during Suez up until the point that the Americans called them off? I can accept that they didn't take NI into account -they would no doubt have seen that as routine community policing with the Brits being a bit too soft. "So called" indeed!

They seriously never noticed Korea, the Malaysian Emergency, Kenya or Oman? Or even that the British were cutting the tripes out of the Egyptians during Suez up until the point that the Americans called them off? I can accept that they didn't take NI into account -they would no doubt have seen that as routine community policing with the Brits being a bit too soft. "So called" indeed!

Yes thats the real reason Haig retired shortly afterwards - he seriously damaged his jaw when it hit the ground!

I'm sure they are!

But they're losing THIS Falklands War even more badly than they did the one in our timeline.

Indeed as the Argentine Navy is to all intents and purposes now on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean due to British missiles and torpedoes, the Argentine Air Force is only one defeat away from joining the navy in death and the forces defending Port Stanley are getting routinely hammered by British bombing.

And the major ground offensive hasn't started yet. Though you have to feel a bit sorry for the poorly trained, poorly equipped conscript troops facing this pounding and who will soon face a powerful, well trained and armed British Army.

Something that Eisenhower later admitted was one of the biggest mistakes of his presidency.

Sadly no!

Its actually what the Junta leaders told that US politician fellow (Alexander Haig?) who was trying to make a deal at the time

They also told him that Britain had not been at war with anyone since 1945 (These were so called military men as well)

Needless to say he was floored by these comments and reminded them that Thatcher had allowed IRA hunger strikers to die etc

Whaaaaat?! :eek::eek::eek:

Woaoooo... I knew they underestimated the brits, but this is a whole extra level of stupid and ignorant... bit of old-school latino machismo in the mix, I'd wagger...

Some peruvian guy, perhaps?

Didn't Peru had free elections in 1980?

Whaaaaat?! :eek::eek::eek:

Woaoooo... I knew they underestimated the brits, but this is a whole extra level of stupid and ignorant... bit of old-school latino machismo in the mix, I'd wagger...

Didn't Peru had free elections in 1980?
If they help the junta with the Falkland matter as they purportedly did OTL... would they not grant asylum?

If they help the junta with the Falkland matter as they purportedly did OTL... would they not grant asylum?

One thing is a more-or-less covert support, another is granting asylum. For one thing, the new Argentinian government would be sure to demand their return, preferably coverd in chains. And, internationally, it would count as a "Very Bad Thing", for a brand new democracy to start it's life by harboring dictators. Not to mention the reaction of the recently-fred peruvian people.

This is where somebody needs to offer them a comfortable retirement somewhere. Nice villas and plenty of liquor and prostitutes...

They could always apply to the Despots Retirement Home otherwise known as Saudi Arabia though not being Muslim may be a hinderance.

Since Argentina took in so many German war criminals maybe they'd be willing to return the favour?

No? Oh, well I guess they're screwed.