Ann Aenglikonagur þeddr

• Thread starter Deleted member 105545
  • Start date

Deleted member 105545

Hi! This is a new timeline of mine, which has no strict POD, but rather multiple. The main one, however, would be that the Norse Invasions in Northern England are successful in establishing a kingdom, one that becomes de jure, so to say. The title is in Anglonorse.

I'll add more as it progresses.

Hi! This is a new timeline of mine, which has no strict POD, but rather multiple. The main one, however, would be that the Norse Invasions in Northern England are successful in establishing a kingdom, one that becomes de jure, so to say. The title is in Anglonorse.

I'll add more as it progresses.
This sounds pretty interesting, and a medieval POD for a graphics timeline is definitely a unique direction, so I will be sure to keep an eye on this thread.

Deleted member 105545

map-of-england-and-wales.jpg

W.I.P map!

Since, as far as I'm aware, the Norse had no name for Great Britain as a whole, can I suggest a variation of Vestmannæy for it, and one of Vestmannæyjar for both of the British Isles?

Last edited:

Deleted member 105545

map-of-england-and-wales.jpg

Very Very rough language map.

Darkest Green- Cornish
Dark Green- Welsh
Light Green- Gwunish
Lightest Green- Pictish
Brick- South Anglish
Pink- Anglish
Mulberry- Northumber
Cyan- Anglo-Norse

Bretland is the modern Icelandic term, I see a similar term developing for Anglonorse
When this timeline started to diverge from ours Bretland was just the Norse name of Wales, and it's unlikely the Anglonorse would extend it to cover the whole island until Britain as a whole falls under their control, whereas the "Vestmann" term coined by their Hiberno-Norse neighbors had no real ethnic connotations, other than having a Norse-free ancestry, and could be readily extended to cover Welsh, Cornish and Anglo-Saxons as well as Irish and Scottish.

Last edited:
When this timeline started to diverge from ours Bretland was just the Norse name of Wales, and it's unlikely the Anglonorse would extend it to cover the whole island until Britain as a whole falls under their control, whereas the "Vestmann" term coined by their Hiberno-Norse neighbors had no real ethnic connotations, other than having a Norse-free ancestry, and could be readily extended to cover Welsh, Cornish and Anglo-Saxons as well as Irish and Scottish.
Wasn't the term already in use for islands off southern Ireland? Seems odd it would be extended to the mainland.

Wasn't the term already in use for islands off southern Ireland? Seems odd it would be extended to the mainland.
The Hiberno-Norse came up with term to address their Gaelic neighbors, exactly like the Anglo-Saxons had done with the native Britons. And since the Hiberno-Norse usually thought of themselves as Austmenn, using the term Vestmenn for the native Gaels was only one opposite cardinal point away.

The Hiberno-Norse came up with term to address their Gaelic neighbors, exactly like the Anglo-Saxons had done with the native Britons. And since the Hiberno-Norse usually thought of themselves as Austmenn, using the term Vestmenn for the native Gaels was only one opposite cardinal point away.
Regardless, if they're already using Vestmannaeyjar for the Westman Islands it's unlikely to be re-used for Ireland and GB. Look at usage of the Western and Southern Isles.

Deleted member 105545

The term, which I haven't translate yet, is probably going to be West Saxon Lands for Anglo-norse, and Angle Land for the Anglish languages. Is that good?

Deleted member 105545

In le'mor vosie. In estor spralado Siebica.

A'sona talakama Sicilaan.