Amerika TV series

I was wondering if this Alt History TV mini series will ever be on official DVD collection?, with all the interviews and talk they had after each ep.

Yes I know it's hokey series and it wasn't well thought out, but for some of use would like to have official DVD collection of it.

LW

I'm surprised it has never been on Syfy or any other channel that I can recall.

Just out of interest I looked on ebay.
Someone is selling the VHS series starting at $225
To bad I don't have a VCR anymore, besides the tape is probably at least partly degraded after thirty years.

Since ABC owns the rights to this series why hasn't it made into an official DVD collection, they must have the official tapes of it in there collection of old TV shows.

LW

Yes I watched the series on You Tube, so what is the official holdup on this series coming to DVD collection?.

LW

Jack Brisco

Banned
Yes I watched the series on You Tube, so what is the official holdup on this series coming to DVD collection?.

LW

Probably that so many people hate it. Many years ago bought it in VHS. Just watched part of it. Watched parts of the original series in 1987. Just not realistic at all. As I remember, viewership for the first episode was good, then steadily trailed off.

A historical note. For some reason, in the 1984-1986 time frame, a lot of people thought the Soviet Union would take over the United States. If you knew anything about the actual state of affairs in the world at that time, that was patently ridiculous. Biggest thing to come out of this time was the original Red Dawn. I watched it and cheered when the Russians got whacked. One notable book from this period was Warday, about the USA ten years after a limited nuclear war. Very thought-provoking. But by the time Amerika came out in early 1987, everyone had woken up, said, "The Soviets take US over? What a joke!", had a great laugh, and promptly dismissed the entire thing from their minds. Then late the next year we saw the Berlin Wall come down, the Warsaw Pact dissolve, and the end of the Soviet Union itself on i January 1992. What an amazing time that was.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I think I tried watching this on Youtube and it was just appalling.

On the other hand, I recently bought the DVD of Red Dawn and absolutely love it

I saw bits of it on YT. It does come off as anachronistic to 2019 sensibilities, especially with the heroic Congressmen standing up to the Soviets until death.

I think I tried watching this on Youtube and it was just appalling.

On the other hand, I recently bought the DVD of Red Dawn and absolutely love it
Red Dawn, in spite of it's impossible background, at least had a lot of action in it. Amerika was just a long slog of 'people talking'...

Grey Wolf

Donor
Red Dawn, in spite of it's impossible background, at least had a lot of action in it. Amerika was just a long slog of 'people talking'...

Perhaps in Amerika the premise took precedence so I noticed it more and thought WTF, whereas in Red Dawn the premise was just the artifice to get into the situation the resistance had to be in, so it was ride-over-able because the film was then about that reality?

Perhaps in Amerika the premise took precedence so I noticed it more and thought WTF, whereas in Red Dawn the premise was just the artifice to get into the situation the resistance had to be in, so it was ride-over-able because the film was then about that reality?
pretty much... Red Dawn was all around the simple idea of 'American guerilla fighters vs. the occupying Soviet army', while Amerika was 'let's consider a Soviet occupation of the US with affects on culture, the economy, politics, and long term planning'... which was bound to be a turgid crawl in a mini-series...

This is One of the reasons why I came up with the Soviets occuping America in 1976 due to the Korea War, and were USSR was stronger after WW2 like them only making the A-Bomb.

Still I would like to see an official DVD collection,

LW