Phillis Wheatley
Benedict Arnold
Richard Montgomery
Lord Cornwallis
Louis XVI of France
Charles III of Spain
George B. McClellan
Ulysses S. Grant

Some are, perhaps, less important than others and not worth writing about, but it's a start.

Here's some suggestions for the Pre-Secession Reputation postings, Alterwright:

Eli Whitney
King George III
Crispus Attucks
Phillis Wheatley
Benedict Arnold
Richard Montgomery
Lord Cornwallis
Louis XVI of France
Charles III of Spain
George B. McClellan
Ulysses S. Grant

Some are, perhaps, less important than others and not worth writing about, but it's a start.
I could see Benedict Arnold as a synonym for traitor being supplanted in the US by the "reb" or "Confederate". But he'd still probably be seen in negative tersm by both nations.

McClellan would probably be seen in the US as just as much as responsible for the North's defeat as Lincoln and I imagine would be reviled equally.

How would the Confederates view the Nullification Crisis? Since that was the first time a Southern state tried to break away from the Union (correct me on that one if I'm wrong), I'd imagine the Confederates would see that as a kind of rehearsal for the War of Secession?

How would the Confederates view the Nullification Crisis? Since that was the first time a Southern state tried to break away from the Union (correct me on that one if I'm wrong), I'd imagine the Confederates would see that as a kind of rehearsal for the War of Secession?

If anything, they hype it up real good as a forerunner for the War of Secession. (Which is kinda of true.). There was no Secession Movement at that time, but they make Andrew Jackson as Anti-Southern as he even wrote the whole thing was about ' disunion and southern confederacy.'

Probably a big part of Confederate education about War of Secession. A harbinger of things to come.

I could see Benedict Arnold as a synonym for traitor being supplanted in the US by the "reb" or "Confederate". But he'd still probably be seen in negative tersm by both nations.

McClellan would probably be seen in the US as just as much as responsible for the North's defeat as Lincoln and I imagine would be reviled equally.

The only ones that really make me curious are George III and Louis XVI.

Would George III be equally hated in both the Union and the Confederacy? In the case of Louis XVI, would he be parodoxically admired in the United States due to his help during the American Revolution?

The Nullification Crisis would be a major reason why Jackson wouldn't be liked in the Confederacy

The only ones that really make me curious are George III and Louis XVI.

Would George III be equally hated in both the Union and the Confederacy? In the case of Louis XVI, would he be parodoxically admired in the United States due to his help during the American Revolution?
George III would likely still be seen negatively by both nations. I could see George III in the Confederacy be linked to Lincoln as a tyrant trying to enforce his rule and policies from a far off capital. Which is similair to what Confederates in OTL told themselves when they tried to connect their cause to that of the American Revolution.

** --- Lafayette, Jones, and Arnorld will get additional perspectives, beyond the Union and Confederacy.

Reputations of Pre-Secession (Pre-POD) American Individuals: Part 2 - More Soldiers of the Revolutionary War

220px-Gilbert_du_Motier_Marquis_de_Lafayette.PNG

^^^ Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette** --- French ---
French aristocrat, officer, and general of the Continental Army. Believed the American Revolution was a just cause and volunteered his services there, seeking glory. Fought alongside George Washington through major campaigns. Returned to a France on the brink of revolution and took part in major events there, helping to draft the Declaration of the Rights of Man with Jefferson's assistance, and becoming commander of the National Guard. Was blamed for Louis XVI's escape and his popularity declined dramatically after the Champs de Mars Massacre. Was captured by Austrians and held prisoner until Napoleon vouched for his release.

Union --- Despite a legendary status as one of the great generals of the American Revolution, being received with open arms on his grand tour of the United States in 1824, Lafayette's reputation suffered grievously in the aftermath of the War Secession and was very nearly destroyed in the North after the Second Mexican War... but not completely. In part due to the circumstances of the times, revaunchist scholars in the United States after the Second Mexican War heavily diminished Lafayette in their writings due to his relationship with George Washington and Jefferson. Interestingly enough his action in the French Revolution are looked upon with more nuance, though it is hardly sympathetic. Street names and buildings dedicated to him in the North were removed, with the dedications being erased or signs being replaced with "Von Steuben" instead. His reputation in the years before and after GWII have never fully recovered.

Confederacy --- Interestingly enough, Lafayette is a rather controversial figure for both Confederate scholars and white citizens alike and his legacy has generated intense discussion on how he should be looked at. On one hand he fought alongside George Washington on many of his campaigns and was a man that Lafayette greatly admired, naming his own son after him. His relationship with Thomas Jefferson in the years after the revolution also paints Lafayette as a close and professional friend, both men aiding each other in the causes of their home countries. The one major "black stain" on Lafayette's reputation, and consequently what makes him so controversial to whites in the Confederacy, is his passionate advocation for the abolition of slavery in America, his insistence of the equality of all men, and his willing cooperation to work with black Americans. Although street names and statues were still preserved in the Confederacy even under Featherston's administration, crowds waving the Freedom Party flag would protest in front of them, threatening to remove them by force.

African-Americans/Black Communists** --- Lafayette's career as a soldier fighting in the Continental Army is not so much important to Black Americans and Communists; his political and social actions are. While it is unclear when Lafayette became convinced of the emancipation of slaves in the US, his character and actions greatly suggest that he was a man willing to act on his beliefs. Frederick Douglass himself called Lafayette a true abolitionist and an advocate for radical equality among men and his work with black spy James Armistead, (later named "James Armistead Lafayette") is looked upon with great interest. His work on helping to draft the Declaration of the Rights of Man, wherein he insisted on all men are equal, are lauded among educated Blacks. While communists the world over do not think that much of Lafayette, he enjoyed a rather interesting niche reputation among the Black communists in the south as one of the few whites that were actively willing to help free blacks. Guerrillas and refugees in the south that escaped the aftermath of the Red Rebellions of 1915 and the Population Reductions of 1941-1944 gave themselves surnames as a mark of their freedom - "Lafayette" was recorded to be one of the most popular.

France** --- Lafayette has been consistently looked upon in a nuanced light in France for many years. Even under the Monarchist Restoration era of Charles XI beginning 1931 his reputation among the French people has largely remained the same, primarily because of his actions during the French Revolution and his actions during the turbulent political years after Napoleon Bonaparte's permanent exile.

-----

john-paul-jones-9357409-1-402.jpg

^^^ John Paul Jones** --- Scottish ---
Sailor, captain, and one of the "founding fathers" of the United States Navy. Becoming a sailor at age 13, Jonh Paul can be described as a man for the sea. Although Scottish by birth, he adopted the United States as his "beloved" home country. After a turbulent career in the merchant navy that saw him flee to the United States after killing a man with his sword, he took up a captain's position in the new Continental Navy. He raided both the English and Irish coasts from his base in France, taking many prizes earning notoriety for being a pirate. After the Revolution he signed up with the Russian Imperial Navy, fighting Ottomans in the Black Sea and retiring, with Russian pension, as a rear admiral.

Union --- John Paul Jones is something of a "bad boy" to US scholars in the aftermath of the Second Mexican War, sometimes looked upon as controversial and sometimes looked upon as a wily rapscallion. While he sometimes shares the sobriquet of "Father of the United States Navy" with John Adams, he is more popularly labelled as its "champion". In an age where the United States suffered numerous disasters at sea due to British dominance of the waves, John Paul Jones was the one exception Americans could look to as a defiant example that Britain's mastery of the seas could still be challenged. His actions during the Revolution, especially his fight with the Serapis on board the Bonhomme Richard, are lionized by US citizens and in particular by the US Navy, hungry for a chance to rebuild its reputation and to build up its fleet size to compete with the British. Jones' apocryphal and defiant words of "I have not yet begun to fight!", were taken to heart by the US Navy as a rallying cry to rebuild its strength and fight the British once again - it was a saying that cropped up numerous times in propaganda poster during GWI. In the Inter-War years, efforts to exhume and recover John Paul Jones' body in France were met with failure that, at one point, caused a small international incident with the United States and France. After GWII and with Paris all but annihilated by atomic weaponry, recovering Jones' remains among radioactive ruins would prove impossible.

Confederacy --- Scholars, officials, and citizens have over time shared Britain's sentiment of viewing John Paul Jones as being nothing but a vile pirate. He is however, something of an afterthought by Confederates in general and is not paid any attention to since his impact on history for the South is largely irrelevant.

Great Britain** --- Surprisingly, John Paul Jones is a rather vilified American, even by Confederate standards of vilifying certain Yankee founding fathers. As a man who sewed fear and panic along the northern English coasts, even going so far as to raid and pillage is native Scotland and especially Mother England from bases in France, John Paul Jones has received international notoriety as a pirate. Propaganda posters, films, political cartoons and the like, from the Second Mexican War to the Second Great War, have consistently portrayed him as a reprehensible villain and one synonymous for piracy and savagery in England. British sailors even into GWII have consistently mocked and joked about the US Navy using Jones as a punchline and politicians at home, fearing American naval raids and blockades, have made references to Jones in the most negative way possible.

France** --- John Paul Jones was something of a sore-spot to talk about in diplomatic circles before GWI and before GWII. As an open ally to the American cause for Independence in the 18th Century, in the aftermath of the War of Secession, Napoleon III's successful intervention in Mexico, and the Second Mexican War, France made efforts to distance itself from its past dealings with America for fear of antagonizing the British as part of their games of empire around the world. It was known fact, however, that Jones was buried somewhere in Paris and in 1905 American efforts were made to recover the remains for reburial, leading to a international and diplomatic incident involving Great Britain, France, the Confederacy, and the United States. With the ruins of Paris irradiated in the aftermath of the atomic strike on the city, any effort to recover the body is impossible.

Russia** --- Imperial Russia looked upon John Paul Jones with embarrassment. Catherine the Great herself viewed Jones in high regard when he entered service with Russia, but in the hundred years since his career in the Russian Navy is viewed with distain. Despite fighting well enough against the Ottomans in the Black Sea, his habit making enemies among allies forced him to be removed from command. On top of that his reportedly dubious behavior as both a drunk and horny lecher sank his reputation with Russian scholars and record keepers. Although not as vilified as he is in Great Britain to the point of exploiting him for propaganda purposes, John Paul Jones is someone that officials in Imperial Russia would rather forget about.

Ottoman Empire** --- Despite a record fighting against the Ottomans in the Black Sea, hardly any record exists that talks about John Paul Jones in great detail. He is virtually irrelevant to the Ottomans.

-----

Benedict Arnold.jpg

^^^ Benedict Arnold** --- American --- Continental Army general that fought with great distinction in the American Revolution before his defection in 1780. Was one of George Washington's most trusted generals before his defection. Distinguished himself at Ticonderoga and Saratoga. Sought employment with other companies and commissions in the British Army, but was unsuccessful. Settled in Canada where his descendants now live.

Union --- Just as he was vilified in his time, so too was he vilified in the United States after the War of Secession. Benjamin Franklin compared him with Judas and said, "Judas sold one man, Arnold sold three million". Even before the the War of Secession, when the idea of seceding from the Union finally took root, politicians likened southerners to Benedict Arnold, calling Confederates, "men taking part in a colossal treason, by whose side Benedict Arnold shines white as a saint". He would remain a man synonymous with treason in the America for as long as the country would last.

Confederacy --- Surprisingly enough, Benedict Arnold is a man that both US citizens and Confederate citizens hold in very low regard. He too is a man synonymous with treason, though not as extremely demonized as he is in the North. Southerners would balk at being put into same category as a man that betrayed the great George Washington, a man that the general himself held in high regard before his betrayal, a man that the general order to be hanged summarily if captured alive. Featherston was even noted to have commented on Arnold in the later years of GWII, when he suspected people in his administration to be plotting against him, "I have people with me that have hearts as black as Arnold's, hearts as black as a nigger's skin".

Canada** --- Benedict Arnold is looked upon as a notable yet minor figure in their history, one of the many thousands of loyalists that fled to Canada in the aftermath of the American Revolution. It was here that he was able to make a new life, where his descendants were able to live as well.

-----

@cortz#9 @Allochronian --- Here are more of these! Apologies of Arnold's seems a bit lean.

Last edited:
@Alterwright great work again!

Here's my own. I got a lot, but here's the first five so it won't be too much.

Lewis and Clark. (Two for one, loop hole.)

Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox.

Lord Dunmore.

William Wilberforce.

Washington Irving.

After the Second Great War and the fall of the Confederacy, I could see Lincoln being rehabilitated to a degree. Not to the extent to be seen as a great President like in OTL but probably more like a 19th century Jimmy Carter (at least by those in North) A well-meaning man who was simply out of his depth in leading the nation during a crisis like the War of Secession.

After the Second Great War and the fall of the Confederacy, I could see Lincoln being rehabilitated to a degree. Not to the extent to be seen as a great President like in OTL but probably more like a 19th century Jimmy Carter (at least by those in North) A well-meaning man who was simply out of his depth in leading the nation during a crisis like the War of Secession.

There's a older post about just that.

Glenn_Beck_Restoring_Honor_Finger_Pointing.jpg

American historian and author Glenn Beck at a historians convention in Washington D.C. in 2011. The convention showcased the premire of Becks non fiction book "Restoring Honor: The Legacy of Lincoln". Beck is one of many historians, both contemporary and past, who has called for a general re-evaluation of Lincoln's legacy. In his book, Beck argues that Lincoln may not have been a great president, but an excellent statesman, that the loss of the Union was through no fault of his own, and could Lincoln could very well have been a great president had circumstances prevailed and the War of Southern Sussesion had been won by the Union, among other points.

The Execution of Jefferson Pinkard

Goth.jpg

Mugshot of Jefferson Pinkard after suffering from malnutrition, 1944

Setting: Huntsville, Second Republic of Texas, Huntsville Unit, 70 miles north of Houston, Second Republic of Texas, January 6th--January 13th, 1945

"You! Pinkard!" After Jefferson Pinkard got convicted in the Yankees' military court--kangaroo court, he thought of it still-- U.S. personnel replaced all the Texans at the Houston Jail. He hated those sharp, harsh, quick accents.

"Yeah?" he said. "What is it?"
"Get up," the guard told him. "You got visitors."

It was only a week till they hanged him. "Yeah?" he said again, heaving his bulk off the cot. "Visitors?" That roused his curiosity. The only person he'd seen lately was Jonathan Moss, here to tell him another appeal had failed. He had none left--the President of the USA and the U.S. Supreme Court had declined to spare him. "Who?"

"You'll find out when you get there, won't you?" The guard unlocked his cell. Other men in green-gray stood by with submachine guns at the ready. If Jefferson got cute, he'd die a week early, that was all. And nobody'll miss me, either, he thought miserably. When you were going to hang in a week, self-pity came easy.

He went down the hall in front of the guards. Was getting shot a quicker, cleaner way to go than the rope? He didn't want to go at all, dammit. As far as he was concerned, he hadn't done anything to deserve killing.

When he got to the visiting room, he stopped in his tracks. there on the other side of the wire were Edith and Willie and Frank, and little Raymond in his wife's harms. All of them except Raymond started to cry when they saw him.

"Aww," Jefferson said, and then, "You shouldn't have come.
"We would've done it more, Papa Jeff, Willie said, "only the damnyankees wouldn't let us for a long time."
"We're here now," Edith said. "We love you, Jeff."
"Yeah, well, I love y'all, too," Jefferson said. "And a whole fat lot of good it's gonna do anybody."

He went up to the mesh that separated him from his family. He pressed his hands against it as hard as he could. They did the same thing on the other side. Try as he would, he couldn't quite touch them.

"It's not right, Papa Jeff," Frank said. "They got no business messin' with you. It was only niggers, for heaven's sake."
"Well, you know that, and I know that, and everybody down here knows that, too," Jefferson answered. "Only trouble is, the Yankees don't know it, and they're the one who count."
"Can't anybody do anything?" Edith asked.
"Doesn't look like it. Oh, people could do something, but nobody wants to. What do you expect? They're Yankees."

His wife started crying harder. "It's not fair. It's not right. Just on account of they won the damn war... What am I gonna do without you, Jeff?"
"You'll do fine," Jefferson said. "You know you will." What am I gonna do without me? he wondered. That, unfortunately, had no good answer. He was going to die, was what he was going to do. "And don't you worry none about me, I'll be up in heaven with God and the angels and stuff."

He didn't really believe in heaven, not with halos and harps and white robes. Playing the harp all day got old fast, anyway. But Edith was more religious than he was. If he could make her feel better, he would.

She went on crying, though, which made Willie and Frank snuffle more, too. "I don't want to lose you!"
"I don't want it to happen, either, but I don't have a whole lot to say about it," he replied.
"You've got a baby. You've got me. You've got my boys, who you raised like you were their daddy," Edith said.

All of that was true. It cut no ice with anybody up in Yankeeland. The Yankees went on and on about all the Negroes he'd killed. As if they'd cared about those Negroes alive! They sure hadn't wanted them going up to the USA. From what he heard, they still didn't want Negroes from the CSA going up to the USA.

They were going to hang him anyhow. They could, and they would.

A guard came in on the other side, the free side. "Time's up," he said.

"We love you, Jeff!" Edith said through her tears. She carried Raymond out. The boys were still crying, too.

"Come out, Pinkard," said a guard on Jefferson's side of the visiting room. "Back to the cell you go".

Back he went. The cell was familiar. Nothing bad would happen to him while he was in it. Pretty soon, though, they'd take him out one last time. He wouldn't be going back after that. Well, what else did one last time mean?

Two days later, he had another visitor: Jonathan Moss again. "Thought you gave up on me," he said through the damned unyielding mesh.
"I don't know what else I can do for you," Moss said. "I wish I did. I haven't got a hacksaw blade on me or anything. Even if I did, they would have found it when they searched me."
"Yeah," Pinkard said. "So--no reprieve from the governor. Hell, no governor. Son of a bitch thinks he's President of Texas now. No reprieve from the President of the USA. No reprieve from the assholes on the Yankee Supreme Court. So what else is there?"
"Well, you're not the only one they're coming down on, if that makes you feel any better," Jonathan Moss replied.
"You mean, like misery loves company?" Jefferson shrugged. "I'd love if I didn't have the misery. But yeah, go ahead-- tell me about the others. I don't have a wireless set, and they don't give me papers, so I don't know jack shit about what's going on out there."
"They hanged Ferdinand Koenig and Saul Goldman yesterday."
"Goddamn shame," Pinkard said. "They were good men, both of 'em Confederate patriots. Why else would you Yankees hang people?"
"For murdering millions? For telling lies about it in papers and magazines and on the wireless?" Moss suggested.
"We didn't get rid of anybody who didn't have it coming," Jefferson said stubbornly. "And like your side didn't tell any lies to your people during the war. Yeah, sure."

The military attorney sighed. "We didn't tell lies about things like that. We didn't do things like that--not to Negroes, not to Jews, not to anybody."

He undercut what Jeff would have said next: that the USA didn't have many Negroes to get rid of. The United States were crawling with Jews. Everybody knew that. Instead, he said, "What other kind of good news have you got for me?"

"If it makes you feel any better, you aren't the only camp commandant and guard chief to get condemned," Moss told him. "Vern Green goes right with you here. And... you knew Mercer Scott back in Louisiana, right?"
"Yeah," Pinkard scowled at him. "You know what? It doesn't make me feel one goddamn bit better."
"I'm sorry. If there were anything else I could try, I'd try it. If you have any ideas, sing out."

Jefferson shook his head. "What's the use? Nobody in the USA cares. Nobody in the USA understands. We did what we had to do, that's all."
"'It looked like a good idea at the time.'" Moss sounded like somebody quoting something. Then he sighed. "That isn't enough to do you any good, either."
"Didn't reckon it would be," Jefferson said. "Go on then. You tried. I said that before, I expect. Won't be long now."

In some ways the days till the hanging crawled past. In others, they flew. The last days of his life, and he was stuck in a cell by himself. Not the way he would have wanted things to turn out, but what did that have to do with anything? He asked the guards for a copy of Over Open Sights.

"Wouldn't you rather have a Bible?" one of them said.
"If I wanted a Bible, don't you reckon I would've told you so?" Jefferson snapped.

A little to his surprise, they brought him Jacob Featherston's book. He paged through it. Everything in there made such good sense. A damn shame it hadn't worked out for real. But the Negroes in the CSA were gone, or most of them were, and the damnyankees couldn't change that even if they did win the war.

The night before they were going to hang him, the guards asked what he wanted for supper. "Fried chicken and fried potatoes and a bottle of beer," he answered. They gave it to hi, except the beer came in a tin cup. He ate with good appetite. He slept... some, anyhow.

They asked him what he wanted once more at breakfast time. "Bacon and eggs and grits," he told them, and he got that, too. He cleaned his plate again, and poured down the coffee that came with the food.

"Want a preacher?" a guard asked.

Pinkard shook his head. "Nah. What for? I've got a clean conscience. If you don't, you need a preacher worse'n I do."

They cuffed his hands behind him, and led him out to the prison yard. they'd run up a gallows there; he'd listened to the carpentry in his cell. Now he saw it was a gallows built for two. Another party of U.S. guards led Vern Green out from a different part of the jail.

Vern looked like hell. His nerve must have failed him at last. He gave Jefferson a forlorn nod. "How come you ain't about to piss yourself like me?"
"What's the use?" Jefferson answered. "I'd beg if I thought it'd do any good, but it won't. So I'll go out the best way I know how. Why give these assholes the satisfaction of watching me blubber?"

Reporters watched from a distance. Guards made sure they stayed back. Otherwise, they would have got up to the condemned men and yelled questions in their faces. Jeff figured Yankee reporters had to be even worse than their Confederate counterparts, and the Confederates were pretty bad.

A guard had to help Vern Green up the stairs to the platform. Jefferson made it under his own power His knees were knocking, but he didn't let it show. Pride was the last thing he had left. And much it does me, too, he thought.

Along with more guards and the hangman, a minister waited up there. "Will you pray with me?" he asked Jefferson.
"No." Jefferson shook his head. "I made it this far on my own. I'll go out the same way."

Vern talked with the preacher. They went through the Twenty-third Psalm together. When they finished, Vern said, "I'm still scared."
"No one can blame you for that," the minister said.

A guard held out a pack of cigarettes to Jefferson. "Thanks," he said. "You'll have to take it out for me."
"I will," the guard said. The smoke was a Raleigh, so it tasted good. Vernon also smoked one. The guards let them finish, then walked them onto the traps. The hangman came over and set the rope around Jefferson's neck. then he put a burlap bag over Jefferson's head.

"Make it quick if you can," Jefferson said. The bag was white, not black. He could still see light and shadow through it. His heard pounded now--every beat might be his last.
"I'm doing my best," the hangman answered. His footsteps moved away, but not far.

They've got no right, damn them, Jefferson thought. They've-- A lever cracked.

The trap dropped.

In at the Death, pgs 579-584, Delrey Books, Hardcover edition

Last edited:
** --- Means they get more than one view besides the Union and the Confederates.

Reputations of Pre-Secession (Pre-POD) Individuals: Part 3 - Monarchs during the American War of Independence

king-george-iii-wikicommonsjpg.jpg

^^^ George III --- English --- Ruler of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Elector of Hanover, from 1760 until his death in 1820.
He was one of the longest reigning monarchs in British history, beaten only by Queen Victoria. His reign as king was marked by numerous wars in Europe, the Americas, Africa, and Asia, from the Seven Years War, The American Revolutionary War, the French Revolutionary Wars, and finally the Napoleonic Wars. Britain became a world power during his time despite losing the American Colonies, going on to conquer more of India, to defeat Napoleon, and to experience the start of both the Agricultural and Industrial Revolutions. Toward the end of his life, after slowly suffering from severe bouts of madness, he permanently slipped into that mental state and withered away until his death in 1820.

Union --- In the United States, even after the War of Secession, King George III was still looked upon by US citizens as a tyrant incapable of understanding the grievances of an independent-minded people thousands of miles away in his castle in the British Isles. His eventual slip into a permanent state of madness is played up in US history books as a result of him being unable to cope with the loss of the American Colonies. Indeed, US scholars and citizens after the Second Mexican War and just before the Great War could look upon the American Revolution as "The War that Broke King George". US soldiers joked after the Great War of whether or not the current monarch in Britain also went "Mad like George" after losing Canada and Caribbean to the United States.

Confederacy --- King George III is looked upon with some complication in the Confederacy. On one hand many Confederates share the sentiment that independence from Great Britain was inevitable and entirely justifiable. On the other, in light of the Confederacy's very close and special alliance with Great Britain, it was deemed prudent and necessary to not paint the British in a bad light. By extension this meant that King George III was looked upon in a rather nuanced yet respectable way. While the tale of American colonists breaking away from an overbearing and unfair form of governance is still taught in schools as way to parallel the Confederacy's eventual break away from the US Federal Government under Lincoln, George is portrayed as a monarch performing his duty and merely defending the right of an elected British Parliament to levy taxes, rather than seeking to expand his own power. In turn the colonists, especially any southern politicians, are portrayed in a rather gentlemanly fashion as firmly yet respectfully expressing their grievances for being taxed unfairly and requesting that they be allowed to govern their own affairs as an independent nation. George's slip into madness, while talked about, is not openly mocked or taken advantage of for propaganda purposes. It is viewed with nuance as a result of the pressures of ruling during a very turbulent time in world history.

Great Britain** --- It is likely that the Confederacy's views on King George III are highly influenced by Great Britain's views about its own king. Over the years George's reputation has run the gauntlet of praise, ridicule, sympathy, and indifference, with scholars tending to frame their views on him from the interpretations of his actions during his life. As a result, like so many British monarchs, he is looked upon in a rather balanced light, but even during his time, when he slipped into madness, he garnered both support and distain. Records based on his personal letters and correspondence, essentially a wealth of invaluable historical records detailing his life in his own writing, were tragically destroyed when London was annihilated by atomic weaponry.

-----

louis-xvi.jpg

^^^ Louis XVI --- French --- Bourbon King of France from 1774 until his execution in 1792, referred to as Citizen Louis Capet in the months before his death. When he took power in 1774 he attempted to reform his government. Heavy bureaucracy and corruption had resulted in poor management of French finances over the years and despite attempts to reform these Louis was met with open hostility by the nobility and clergy, who successfully blocked his attempts. Efforts to deregulate the grain market also led to failure which led to food scarcity in France for the lower and middle classes. His support for and funding of the American Patriots in their war for independence from Britain further pushed France into financial debt. Despite Louis' efforts his indecisiveness, lack of firmness, and conservatism in some areas for governance led to the people believing he represented everything wrong with absolutism in France. After the Fall of the Bastille and his Flight to Varennes his popularity continue to plummet among his people as France was gripped in revolution. He was executed for in 1792, ending nearly a thousand years of monarchical rule in France and ushering in one of the bloodiest stages of the French Revolution.

Union --- Even during Louis' time his death, and by a larger extension the French Revolution, was an intensely debated subject in the United States. Federalists such as Hamilton and Adams feared the growing unrest and radicalization of the revolutionaries in France, worried that their example and victories in Europe would cause upheavals at home. The advocated for stability and trade as a neutral party. Public support was with the French revolutionaries and attempts by Edmund-Charles Genet, the Minister for the United States, to use American ports to commission privateers to fight for France against Great Britain were exposed, resulting in him being sent back to France and a treaty to be signed with Great Britain to remain neutral in the conflict in Europe. Louis' death in 1792 was an ill omen as France's radicalization reached fever pitch and leaders around Europe took steps to clamp down democratic French ideas. For Federalists such as John Adams his presidency was marked by the Quasi War with France and the creation of the US Navy to preserve US trade and travel on the high seas. In the years after the War of Secession, with the First Mormon Revolt and the rise of the Remembrance Movement, the memory of Louis was seen as something of a cautionary tale in the United States, a tale of the dangers of rebellion, indecisiveness, and infirmness. And the United States drew its own lessons from the ever complex and ever enduring legacy of the French Revolution. Paradoxically the US drifted further way from its democratic ideals as the rest of the world seem to embrace them over the years. A need for strong and firm leadership in the face of adversity, backed up by strong military forces, was coveted above all. Louis' decisions and example would be the nagging little thought every US leaders' mind, of the consequence of weakness in the face of more rebellion and revolution. The thinking was this --- they had lost the South, and they had lost land and prestige in the process, with enemies on all sides; they would not lose again, or risk annihilation.

Confederacy --- Even during Louis' time his death, and by extension the circumstances of the French Revolution, was an intensely debated subject in the United States. It polarized the American public to such a degree that the first political parties were formed, allowing individuals such as Hamilton, Adams, and Jefferson to organize their ideas advocate in favor for them with support from like minded people. Jefferson and anti-Federalists favored supporting France in its Revolution and public support for France seemed to reflect that. Jefferson himself, while Minister of France, closely worked with and advised Lafayette as the latter helped to draft the Declaration of the Rights of Man. Jefferson's support of France and by extension is beliefs in in republicanism persisted even into France's Reign of Terror, with him stating "To back away from France is to back away from the cause of republicanism in America". Jeffersons career during this time, along with his intense rivalry with John Adams, is looked upon with intense interest by Confederates. As a result, his views and support for the Revolution in France, as well as the lessons he would take away from them, seeped into the Confederacy over the years. Louis himself was not looked upon as a tyrant, but as a king out of his depth and incapable of the task before him that suffered a terrible fate at the hands of his own people. Confederate leaders and citizens would draw their own lessons from the ever complex and ever enduring French Revolution and of the death of the Louis XVI. Like the United States they would draw lessons in leadership during times of crisis, but it was the complicated legacy of the French Revolution that would endure in Confederacy and what that meant for its government, its people, and its future moving forward. In a way, even after the War of Secession, it was a subject of debate and comparisons to the Revolution in France with events in the Confederacy over its history affected the public's perception on whether those events were good or bad. Memories of the ever volatile food market in the Confederacy during the War of Secession drew parallels to the French Revolution, where the price of bread was high and food grew scarce. In times of peace the ideals of freedom and republicanism, as well as freedom from ever present tyrants, was expounded upon. Again, during the Red Rebellions of 1915 the fear of a "black" Reign of Terror in the Confederacy should the Reds win prompted some Confederate officials to clamp down hard, with some fear their heads would roll just like Louis XVI. Even during the Freedom Party's rise to power allusions to the French Revolution were drawn. In a sense the French Revolution and Louis XVI continued to be viewed with nuance in the Confederacy until its very end in 1944.

France** --- In Louis' time the circumstances around his execution was a hotly debated issue and the final decision to execute him was agreed upon only by a very slim margin. Many in France at the time feared what precedence it would set if a king could be executed by his own people. To some, that precedence set the stage for the Reign of Terror and the bloodshed from executions that was to follow. To scholars in France during the Monarchical Restoration of 1931 with Charles XI ascending to the throne, Louis was looked upon in a much more sympathetic light. To them a lack of compassion at that moment contributed to a radicalization of revolutionary violence and to greater divisiveness among Frenchmen, an execution that signaled the end of the role of God in history. Despite failed efforts in 1820 to have Louis XVI canonized another memorandum was proposed during Charles' reign to have Louis canonized as a saint by the Catholic Church. The Pope at the time, however, declared it an impossibility by proving that Louis had been executed for political reasons rather than religious ones.

-----

Carlos%20III.jpg

^^^ Charles III --- Spanish --- Previously the Duke of Parma in 1731 as Charles I, the King of Naples as Charles VII in 1734, and the King of Sicily as Charles V in 1735, he became King of Spain in 1759 until his death in 1788. He was an enlightened monarch and was a major proponent of the sciences and academic research. He also modernized agriculture in Spain, facilitated trade, and promoted reforms in his government to decrease the influence of the Catholic Church. He was a seasoned leader with experience in ruling several kingdoms and was tested battlefield commander from campaigns in Italy. He oversaw Spain's participation in the American War of Independence by siding with the Patriots due to a rivalry with the British in the Caribbean, capturing of Nassau in the Bahamas, West Florida, and Menorca in the Mediterranean.

Union --- To the majority of the United States public, Charles III is virtually unknown to them and would seem irrelevant. Despite his country's role in the Revolutionary war as a co-beligerent, Spain's participation in the war, and consequently Charles' reasons for siding with the Patriots, is not taught in classrooms. It would take a scholar or university student studying history to ascertain this monarch's role in the Independence of the United States.

Confederacy --- Confederate citizens in Florida and Cuba are taught at a young age the history of their states and as result Charles III's role in the American Revolution is most prominent in these region of the Confederacy. He is given a fairly balanced and nuanced look and his country's rivalry with Great Britain at the time is taught in depth so that students can understand the king's reason for capturing the state, largely as just another part of the never-ending game of politics and war between the European Powers. In Confederate Cuban classrooms Spanish rule is further expanded upon with Havana's capture in 1762 by the British, an event that took part under Charles' reign as part of the Seven Years War, largely as a way to demonstrate Spain's weakening grasp in the Americas and to compare the oppressive Spanish rule with the more beneficial Confederate statehood that occurred in the 1870s. Outside of these regions however, Charles is almost as unknown to Confederates as the Yankees are to him.

Spain** --- Under Charles III, Spain began to be recognized as a united nation rather than a collection of separate kingdoms ruled by a common monarch. He declared the "Marcha Real" as the national anthem of Spain, created the colors and general design of the current flag of Spain, and built up Madrid to such an extent as to be worthy of the title of a capital city, with new road systems that connected the city to the rest of the country. He was, in many regards, considered a capable and able king.

-----

@cortz#9 @Allochronian @Historyman 14 --- Here you go! The monarchs! I won't lie, Louis XVI's reputation was difficult to interpret and I found now way to talk about him without talking about the French Revolution, which is in itself still a complicated topic. Here it is though!

The Execution of Jefferson Pinkard

amon_goeth_in_1945-_p-_25.jpg

Mugshot of Jefferson Pinkard after suffering from malnutrition, 1944

Setting: Huntsville, State of Texas, Huntsville Unit, 70 miles north of Houston, State of Texas, January 6th--January 13th, 1945
Wouldn't that be the Republic of Texas, instead of the State of Texas?

Nice work Alterwright, I'll go over these post again when considering names for new TL-191 designs in the future. If they're are any names here you think would go well with some of my unnamed designs, let me know and I'll go back and edit them in.

** --- Means they get more than one view besides the Union and the Confederates.

Reputations of Pre-Secession (Pre-POD) Individuals: Part 3 - Monarchs during the American War of Independence

View attachment 437388

^^^ George III --- English --- Ruler of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Elector of Hanover, from 1760 until his death in 1820.
He was one of the longest reigning monarchs in British history, beaten only by Queen Victoria. His reign as king was marked by numerous wars in Europe, the Americas, Africa, and Asia, from the Seven Years War, The American Revolutionary War, the French Revolutionary Wars, and finally the Napoleonic Wars. Britain became a world power during his time despite losing the American Colonies, going on to conquer more of India, to defeat Napoleon, and to experience the start of both the Agricultural and Industrial Revolutions. Toward the end of his life, after slowly suffering from severe bouts of madness, he permanently slipped into that mental state and withered away until his death in 1820.

Union --- In the United States, even after the War of Secession, King George III was still looked upon by US citizens as a tyrant incapable of understanding the grievances of an independent-minded people thousands of miles away in his castle in the British Isles. His eventual slip into a permanent state of madness is played up in US history books as a result of him being unable to cope with the loss of the American Colonies. Indeed, US scholars and citizens after the Second Mexican War and just before the Great War could look upon the American Revolution as "The War that Broke King George". US soldiers joked after the Great War of whether or not the current monarch in Britain also went "Mad like George" after losing Canada and Caribbean to the United States.

Confederacy --- King George III is looked upon with some complication in the Confederacy. On one hand many Confederates share the sentiment that independence from Great Britain was inevitable and entirely justifiable. On the other, in light of the Confederacy's very close and special alliance with Great Britain, it was deemed prudent and necessary to not paint the British in a bad light. By extension this meant that King George III was looked upon in a rather nuanced yet respectable way. While the tale of American colonists breaking away from an overbearing and unfair form of governance is still taught in schools as way to parallel the Confederacy's eventual break away from the US Federal Government under Lincoln, George is portrayed as a monarch performing his duty and merely defending the right of an elected British Parliament to levy taxes, rather than seeking to expand his own power. In turn the colonists, especially any southern politicians, are portrayed in a rather gentlemanly fashion as firmly yet respectfully expressing their grievances for being taxed unfairly and requesting that they be allowed to govern their own affairs as an independent nation. George's slip into madness, while talked about, is not openly mocked or taken advantage of for propaganda purposes. It is viewed with nuance as a result of the pressures of ruling during a very turbulent time in world history.

Great Britain** --- It is likely that the Confederacy's views on King George III are highly influenced by Great Britain's views about its own king. Over the years George's reputation has run the gauntlet of praise, ridicule, sympathy, and indifference, with scholars tending to frame their views on him from the interpretations of his actions during his life. As a result, like so many British monarchs, he is looked upon in a rather balanced light, but even during his time, when he slipped into madness, he garnered both support and distain. Records based on his personal letters and correspondence, essentially a wealth of invaluable historical records detailing his life in his own writing, were tragically destroyed when London was annihilated by atomic weaponry.

-----

View attachment 437389

^^^ Louis XVI --- French --- Bourbon King of France from 1774 until his execution in 1792, referred to as Citizen Louis Capet in the months before his death. When he took power in 1774 he attempted to reform his government. Heavy bureaucracy and corruption had resulted in poor management of French finances over the years and despite attempts to reform these Louis was met with open hostility by the nobility and clergy, who successfully blocked his attempts. Efforts to deregulate the grain market also led to failure which led to food scarcity in France for the lower and middle classes. His support for and funding of the American Patriots in their war for independence from Britain further pushed France into financial debt. Despite Louis' efforts his indecisiveness, lack of firmness, and conservatism in some areas for governance led to the people believing he represented everything wrong with absolutism in France. After the Fall of the Bastille and his Flight to Varennes his popularity continue to plummet among his people as France was gripped in revolution. He was executed for in 1792, ending nearly a thousand years of monarchical rule in France and ushering in one of the bloodiest stages of the French Revolution.

Union --- Even during Louis' time his death, and by a larger extension the French Revolution, was an intensely debated subject in the United States. Federalists such as Hamilton and Adams feared the growing unrest and radicalization of the revolutionaries in France, worried that their example and victories in Europe would cause upheavals at home. The advocated for stability and trade as a neutral party. Public support was with the French revolutionaries and attempts by Edmund-Charles Genet, the Minister for the United States, to use American ports to commission privateers to fight for France against Great Britain were exposed, resulting in him being sent back to France and a treaty to be signed with Great Britain to remain neutral in the conflict in Europe. Louis' death in 1792 was an ill omen as France's radicalization reached fever pitch and leaders around Europe took steps to clamp down democratic French ideas. For Federalists such as John Adams his presidency was marked by the Quasi War with France and the creation of the US Navy to preserve US trade and travel on the high seas. In the years after the War of Secession, with the First Mormon Revolt and the rise of the Remembrance Movement, the memory of Louis was seen as something of a cautionary tale in the United States, a tale of the dangers of rebellion, indecisiveness, and infirmness. And the United States drew its own lessons from the ever complex and ever enduring legacy of the French Revolution. Paradoxically the US drifted further way from its democratic ideals as the rest of the world seem to embrace them over the years. A need for strong and firm leadership in the face of adversity, backed up by strong military forces, was coveted above all. Louis' decisions and example would be the nagging little thought every US leaders' mind, of the consequence of weakness in the face of more rebellion and revolution. The thinking was this --- they had lost the South, and they had lost land and prestige in the process, with enemies on all sides; they would not lose again, or risk annihilation.

Confederacy --- Even during Louis' time his death, and by extension the circumstances of the French Revolution, was an intensely debated subject in the United States. It polarized the American public to such a degree that the first political parties were formed, allowing individuals such as Hamilton, Adams, and Jefferson to organize their ideas advocate in favor for them with support from like minded people. Jefferson and anti-Federalists favored supporting France in its Revolution and public support for France seemed to reflect that. Jefferson himself, while Minister of France, closely worked with and advised Lafayette as the latter helped to draft the Declaration of the Rights of Man. Jefferson's support of France and by extension is beliefs in in republicanism persisted even into France's Reign of Terror, with him stating "To back away from France is to back away from the cause of republicanism in America". Jeffersons career during this time, along with his intense rivalry with John Adams, is looked upon with intense interest by Confederates. As a result, his views and support for the Revolution in France, as well as the lessons he would take away from them, seeped into the Confederacy over the years. Louis himself was not looked upon as a tyrant, but as a king out of his depth and incapable of the task before him that suffered a terrible fate at the hands of his own people. Confederate leaders and citizens would draw their own lessons from the ever complex and ever enduring French Revolution and of the death of the Louis XVI. Like the United States they would draw lessons in leadership during times of crisis, but it was the complicated legacy of the French Revolution that would endure in Confederacy and what that meant for its government, its people, and its future moving forward. In a way, even after the War of Secession, it was a subject of debate and comparisons to the Revolution in France with events in the Confederacy over its history affected the public's perception on whether those events were good or bad. Memories of the ever volatile food market in the Confederacy during the War of Secession drew parallels to the French Revolution, where the price of bread was high and food grew scarce. In times of peace the ideals of freedom and republicanism, as well as freedom from ever present tyrants, was expounded upon. Again, during the Red Rebellions of 1915 the fear of a "black" Reign of Terror in the Confederacy should the Reds win prompted some Confederate officials to clamp down hard, with some fear their heads would roll just like Louis XVI. Even during the Freedom Party's rise to power allusions to the French Revolution were drawn. In a sense the French Revolution and Louis XVI continued to be viewed with nuance in the Confederacy until its very end in 1944.

France** --- In Louis' time the circumstances around his execution was a hotly debated issue and the final decision to execute him was agreed upon only by a very slim margin. Many in France at the time feared what precedence it would set if a king could be executed by his own people. To some, that precedence set the stage for the Reign of Terror and the bloodshed from executions that was to follow. To scholars in France during the Monarchical Restoration of 1931 with Charles XI ascending to the throne, Louis was looked upon in a much more sympathetic light. To them a lack of compassion at that moment contributed to a radicalization of revolutionary violence and to greater divisiveness among Frenchmen, an execution that signaled the end of the role of God in history. Despite failed efforts in 1820 to have Louis XVI canonized another memorandum was proposed during Charles' reign to have Louis canonized as a saint by the Catholic Church. The Pope at the time, however, declared it an impossibility by proving that Louis had been executed for political reasons rather than religious ones.

-----

View attachment 437390

^^^ Charles III --- Spanish --- Previously the Duke of Parma in 1731 as Charles I, the King of Naples as Charles VII in 1734, and the King of Sicily as Charles V in 1735, he became King of Spain in 1759 until his death in 1788. He was an enlightened monarch and was a major proponent of the sciences and academic research. He also modernized agriculture in Spain, facilitated trade, and promoted reforms in his government to decrease the influence of the Catholic Church. He was a seasoned leader with experience in ruling several kingdoms and was tested battlefield commander from campaigns in Italy. He oversaw Spain's participation in the American War of Independence by siding with the Patriots due to a rivalry with the British in the Caribbean, capturing of Nassau in the Bahamas, West Florida, and Menorca in the Mediterranean.

Union --- To the majority of the United States public, Charles III is virtually unknown to them and would seem irrelevant. Despite his country's role in the Revolutionary war as a co-beligerent, Spain's participation in the war, and consequently Charles' reasons for siding with the Patriots, is not taught in classrooms. It would take a scholar or university student studying history to ascertain this monarch's role in the Independence of the United States.

Confederacy --- Confederate citizens in Florida and Cuba are taught at a young age the history of their states and as result Charles III's role in the American Revolution is most prominent in these region of the Confederacy. He is given a fairly balanced and nuanced look and his country's rivalry with Great Britain at the time is taught in depth so that students can understand the king's reason for capturing the state, largely as just another part of the never-ending game of politics and war between the European Powers. In Confederate Cuban classrooms Spanish rule is further expanded upon with Havana's capture in 1762 by the British, an event that took part under Charles' reign as part of the Seven Years War, largely as a way to demonstrate Spain's weakening grasp in the Americas and to compare the oppressive Spanish rule with the more beneficial Confederate statehood that occurred in the 1870s. Outside of these regions however, Charles is almost as unknown to Confederates as the Yankees are to him.

Spain** --- Under Charles III, Spain began to be recognized as a united nation rather than a collection of separate kingdoms ruled by a common monarch. He declared the "Marcha Real" as the national anthem of Spain, created the colors and general design of the current flag of Spain, and built up Madrid to such an extent as to be worthy of the title of a capital city, with new road systems that connected the city to the rest of the country. He was, in many regards, considered a capable and able king.

-----

@cortz#9 @Allochronian @Historyman 14 --- Here you go! The monarchs! I won't lie, Louis XVI's reputation was difficult to interpret and I found now way to talk about him without talking about the French Revolution, which is in itself still a complicated topic. Here it is though!

I loved your explanations about George III and Charles III!

Now, I knew that Louis XVI and his connection to the French Revolution would be more complicated to write about in a Reputation Report, but with the exception of France's view of him, I didn't completely understand what the general view of the Union and Confederacy was in what you wrote.

From what I could understand:
  • The Union feels pity towards Louis XVI and use his as an example of what could happen when mob rule is in control. Does the Union feel sympathy to Louis XVI? Is there even a positive view of him, out of all other French individuals?
  • The Confederacy feels pity towards Louis XVI and use him as an example what could happen when a ruler is incompetent and tragically deserves to be deposed by the righteous will of the people. Would the Confederacy not feel sympathy towards Louis XVI? Is there even a general negative view of him?
Am I right in my assessment? Or wrong?

42-74029319.jpg

On the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the American occupation of Canada which officially ended in 1949, Canadians burn the American flag in protest of the US's continued occupation of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island (or President Roosevelt Island, according to the Americans).

6431872.jpg

On the same anniversary, Canadian soldiers participate in a ceremony remembering those who were killed during the American occupation.

v129_200700269flag1907.jpg

The current Canadian flag. After the end of the occupation, the Blue Ensign was changed to red to honour those who gave their lives for Canadian freedom under the occupation. The flag includes the emblems of all of Canada's provinces, even those under American occupation. It is illegal under US law to possess this flag in the occupied Canadian territories.

Last edited:
I loved your explanations about George III and Charles III!

Now, I knew that Louis XVI and his connection to the French Revolution would be more complicated to write about in a Reputation Report, but with the exception of France's view of him, I didn't completely understand what the general view of the Union and Confederacy was in what you wrote.

From what I could understand:
  • The Union feels pity towards Louis XVI and use his as an example of what could happen when mob rule is in control. Does the Union feel sympathy to Louis XVI? Is there even a positive view of him, out of all other French individuals?
  • The Confederacy feels pity towards Louis XVI and use him as an example what could happen when a ruler is incompetent and tragically deserves to be deposed by the righteous will of the people. Would the Confederacy not feel sympathy towards Louis XVI? Is there even a general negative view of him?
Am I right in my assessment? Or wrong?

@Allochronian

Thank you, I appreciate that. The monarchs were a lot of fun to do actually. I briefly considered doing William V, Prince of Orange, the "stadtholder" of Holland but decided not to do it. He was a leader during the revolution and his country did go to war with England because of the revolution, but again I decided not to since his role seems to be largely negligible at best.

Right, I could have been more clear with Louis XVI I think. It was easy enough to find out about how countries felt about the French Revolution, but it was hard to find out about how people felt about the man himself.

I believe in retrospect, given the changes in TL-191, Louis XVI would be viewed with negativity, but largely with indifference in the United States, very little sympathy due to him being a Frenchmen, but he would not be demonized. There would be a greater focus on his incompetence and inability to rule firmly as a monarch and his death would be an example for what would be in store if rebellion and mob rule were to take hold in a country - hence the US's heavy handed crack downs in Canada, Utah, and the southern states.

The Confederacy would view Louis XVI more sympathetically. They would agree that he was a man unfit to rule and was rightly taken away from power by the will of the people, but I believe they would not agree with killing him. In fact they may share some of Monarchist France's sympathy in looking upon Louis as a tragic figure of sorts, but they would absolutely not go as far as to try and make him a saint. His efforts at trying to reform things would be looked into, but ultimately be seen as futile - the rot in the Ancien Regime being too great to cure. The Confederacy's leaders may look upon his death as something to avoid - especially when memories of the Red Rebellions still haunt them.

I hope that clears things up. It may not fall in line with what some may think, but I believe I gave it some good consideration. You are free to draw your own conclusions of course!