Tellurus: a worldbuilding project

What color scheme should Tellurus use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm interested in the Cuyan civilization...it seems like it's a bit on the 'edge of the Earth' and makes me feel like they have the potential for Polynesian-style expansion, except instead of a thousand small islands they have a whole continent for themselves.

Just noticed it, but why on the first thread of the timeline the word "Neanderthal" have a * before it?

The history timeline is starting to become more interesting. Up until this point I preferred the geology component but now I want to see what happens to the empires and stuff as well.

Timeline Overview (prehistory-2200 AF)
Here's something I've been working on, it's an overview of the timeline so far but kind of condensed and simplified to make it easier to follow. The regular timeline will still get updates, but I'll also be adding to this as well.

TIMELINE OVERVIEW

BEFORE 1 AF

First appearing over three hundred thousand years before the founding of Akwar, the modern human race quickly expanded throughout Tellurus from their ancestral region in central Rhodin, reaching every continent by -13,000 AF. With fire already tamed by humans, more inventions followed, including language, burial of the dead, art and ever-more complicated tools and weapons. Tools at the time were made of stone, hence the names Paleolithic, Mesolithic, and Neolithic.

Modern humanity arose during the varying warm and cold periods of the current glacial period, with several events lowering the population of humans greatly only for them to slowly recover. One such event, a super-eruption in -70,500 AF, almost completely wiped out the human race. The Paleolithic era ended roughly -10,000 AF, when the population of humans was about 3 million.

During the Mesolithic, the glacial period finally ended and the climate stabilized, allowing some people living as hunter-gatherers to live sedentary lives temporarily at times. Many new inventions, such as bows and canoes, were created during this time, and many more animals were domesticated. The Mesolithic period ended when agriculture was discovered in -5800 AF.

The Neolithic period saw the greatest changes yet, as social life and technological progress advanced dramatically. Farming meant people could live in the same place all the time, allowing for the creation of towns and cities. Pottery and tools were improved upon and the first ever wars were fought over the newly valuable resources. In some places, the Neolithic occurred when copper had already been in use, making it somewhat synonymous with the Chalcolithic (Copper Age).

The creation of writing marked the actual beginning of history, and the legendary founding date of the city of Akwar came to be used as year 1 of the historical record. At the same time writing was invented, people began to create bronze by combining copper and tin, ushering in the Bronze Age. Civilization had finally developed in the Miscaya region and Tymria, and was on it's way in many other places.

1 AF - 1200 AF

Corresponding roughly to the advent of the Bronze Age and the use of writing, this period featured the rise of the first ever empires on Tellurus. In Tymria, the nations became unified for the first time, creating the Old Kingdom period and in Miscaya, the city-states era was superseded by the Narrakian Empire. During this time period, the world's population rose from about 25 million people in 200 AF to 40 million by 1200 AF.

While the previous millennium saw the creation of civilization itself, the creation of bronze and the development of writing brought humanity new ways to expand, as well as wage war. The ever-present lust for power and wealth laid the foundations for the appearance of imperialism and grand building projects, as well as revolutions and rebellions against the new, powerful rulers.

The state of affairs in the Miscaya river valley, a series of city-states waging war for dominance over one another, reached a fever pitch, culminating in the rise of the Narrakian Empire under Buguran who went on to conquer the entirety of Kyngir and nearby regions. His empire dominated the 900s AF, but declined fast and collapsed completely in 1065 AF. It would be several centuries before an empire of similar size would appear again.

United in 70 AF by Akben (the first king of a united Tymria), the Old Kingdom saw the construction of great temples and giant pyramids, the largest structures in the world at the time and they remained as such for thousands of years. The megastructures were built in the belief that the Tymrian kings and queens were gods in human form, and demanded respect and authority as such. Even in far away places such as Hatar, neolithic peoples built monuments to their ancestor, to the gods, and to the stars and planets in the sky.

Toward the end of the period (the years 1000-1200 AF), Tymria and Narrak suffered the first recorded revolts, leading to the temporary collapse of Tymria and the dissolution of the Narrakian Empire. The imperial form of government would persist in Kyngir, even surviving the Neathuqi invasions and establishing a new Kyngiran Empire in 1164 AF. This time also saw the creation of the Chūn Dynasty in Serica, the first of a long line of dynasties in the country, and the Rasan civilization flourished in northeastern Avarda.

1200 - 2200 AF

In this period, we see the transition from the beginning-middle parts of the Bronze age to it's final end, and more information on early nations survives from this time. In the first half of the period, the most powerful nations on Tellurus were the Kadimaran Empire of Miscaya and the Middle Kingdom of Tymria. Other influential cultures rose during this time, such as Knoas and the Nasenites. The Great Collapse marks the end of this period.

Massive migrations in Serratar bring the Bronze Age to the rest of the continent, migrations that led to the collapse of the Rasan Civilization. Far to the east, the Achtomec culture is established in Talamor. Other, less fully understood, movements of people happened in Ozara and the Aigan Ocean. The world's population rose to 75 million by 2200 AF.

After the chaos that followed the end of the Kyngir Empire and the Tymrian Old Kingdom, the civilizations in Miscaya and Tymria sought stability and peace over war in the first half of the period, with many advances in art and architecture happening as a result. Not all was great, as disastrous flooding and repeated invasions severely weakened the Rasan people of Avarda. The trading world's economy suffered greatly and the Empires in Rhodin became weak.

In the 1500s-1700s AF, invaders on horseback and riding chariots attacked many nations throughout the world, leading to the fracturing of Tymria, the Hannaran people creating a dynasty in Kadimar, and the complete collapse of the Rasan civilization. The source of the horse riders were the many tribes of central Serratar, who spread throughout the continent during this time and brought bronze tools to these regions as well.

The civilized nations quickly recovered and adapted these new technologies themselves, and the second part of the period (1700s-2000 AF) saw the rise of empires larger and more powerful than any seen yet, including the Laotong Empire of Serica, the Kadimaran Empire, the newly-founded Nasenite empire and the New Kingdom of Tymria which was the strongest of the four. Warfare between the great empires was a constant part of life during this time.

The end of this period coincided with the end of the Bronze Age, for as iron tools and weapons began to spread a new wave of invaders pillaged and destroyed the majority of the nations and empires in the east, including the final end of the Nasenite and Knoasic civilizations and chaos and disorder reigning in Miscya and Tymria. However, other places like Serica and Avarda, prospered and grew during this time.

Coming soon: 2200 AF- 2720 AF

If anyone has any questions or would like to now more about any certain subject pertaining to the timeline, feel free to ask them.

Just a question, there will be some Christ-like figure on this timeline to create a BC/AC-like division on time or will continue to be the AF year?

Just a question, there will be some Christ-like figure on this timeline to create a BC/AC-like division on time or will continue to be the AF year?
Possibly. I will probably continue to use AF years for convenience but, there may be other "year ones" for different civs along the way.
shaggy.

not really, but speaking of, could i help with religions @Imperator Frank?
I'm still figuring out how I want to handle that, but you're welcome to help when I do think of something.

Possibly. I will probably continue to use AF years for convenience but, there may be other "year ones" for different civs along the way.

I'm still figuring out how I want to handle that, but you're welcome to help when I do think of something.
I think a good way for you to try to deal with the matters of religion would be to take inspiration from regions around the world to create the ones on Tellurus, not create copies from them but simply use them as a base from where you could go from if you think would be too hard to think on all the religions on all cultures, a good way to decide it would be the use of the landscape where the culture or nation is and take as inspiration a religion coming from a region similar to that

Another way would be do like G.R.R Martin and mix both religions similar to the ones on Earth with ones created out of your imagination that could be as alien to us as you like (like the fact that the Faith of the Seven is based out of Christianism while the faith of the Rhoynar has not counterpart)

But is up to you man

I think a good way for you to try to deal with the matters of religion would be to take inspiration from regions around the world to create the ones on Tellurus, not create copies from them but simply use them as a base from where you could go from if you think would be too hard to think on all the religions on all cultures, a good way to decide it would be the use of the landscape where the culture or nation is and take as inspiration a religion coming from a region similar to that

Another way would be do like G.R.R Martin and mix both religions similar to the ones on Earth with ones created out of your imagination that could be as alien to us as you like (like the fact that the Faith of the Seven is based out of Christianism while the faith of the Rhoynar has not counterpart)

But is up to you man
Also, I was just re-reading this treath and looked that Tellurus has two moons (had completely forgotten it), this would be a major change in any polytheistic religion, with most of them probably having gods to each one and how they came to be

Don't forget that not all calendars start at a single "Year 1". Some civilizations have used cyclical calendars, and many, like in early medieval Europe, preferred to use regnal years. Throwing in some of those systems could add some flavor to the timeline.

On the topic of religion, did/will Tellurus have an Axial Age like Earth did, where all of the civilizations figure out their philosophical footings? If it does, it's going to have a major effect on how religion evolves.

I'm actually excited to see where religion goes in this world. There's a lot of potential for interesting historical figures, cultural developments, etc.

Also, I was just re-reading this treath and looked that Tellurus has two moons (had completely forgotten it), this would be a major change in any polytheistic religion, with most of them probably having gods to each one and how they came to be

Good point, I'll be sure to include that somehow.

Don't forget that not all calendars start at a single "Year 1". Some civilizations have used cyclical calendars, and many, like in early medieval Europe, preferred to use regnal years. Throwing in some of those systems could add some flavor to the timeline.

On the topic of religion, did/will Tellurus have an Axial Age like Earth did, where all of the civilizations figure out their philosophical footings? If it does, it's going to have a major effect on how religion evolves.

I'm actually excited to see where religion goes in this world. There's a lot of potential for interesting historical figures, cultural developments, etc.

Techinically, Tellurus is already in the beginning of the Axial Age. I'll probably include that somehow when I do work on the religions.

I've started work on the Kyngiran religion (kinda going for a Mesopotamian-type vibe), I'll probably post it tomorrow.
What religion should be next? Tymria, Rasan or Serica?

I've started work on the Kyngiran religion (kinda going for a Mesopotamian-type vibe), I'll probably post it tomorrow.
What religion should be next? Tymria, Rasan or Serica?
Serica probably would be interesting (if is inspired by the Dao/Confucionism/Heavenly Bureaucracy), but Timrya would also be interesting