TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

Ah, yes, the M1A1 Thompson in US service. Yes, I do remember that it was still being used by the United States in TL-191, as well as the Springfield 1903. Seems like a few recognizable US weapons are still in US service in TL-191. A critical weapon missing is the M1 Garand it seems.

Hm. Have no idea what caliber the CSA would be using in their submachine-guns. Since the .45 was in service with the US, the CS would develop their own caliber. While I can't say the exact round, I can probably give a guess as to the design philosophy - as in "Hey y'all, what kind of bullet is powerful enough to stop a Yankee dead in his tracks?"

You know this already for sure - in our timeline the US military needed a handgun and a bullet that had more stopping power and, overall, a better reload rate based on their experiences in the Philippines - they needed "man-stopping" rounds and guns that could fire them in a more fictive way.

The Confederates in TL-191 by 1941 have the knowledge and experience of three major wars under their belt, with the Great War of 1914-1917 and the Mexican Civil War of the 1920s being their most relevant "testing grounds" for effective ammunition. My best guess is that the Confederates would need a round that is reliable enough in poor environmental conditions, can stop a man with enough force to put him down in close quarters, and can be reliably fired from a pistol and a submachine-gun. Furthermore, they would have to design guns that can be interchangeable with the same round to ease supply issues and logistics - the thinking being "hey, lets make some guns that can fire the same reliable round".

Maybe that's a good idea, maybe not. I just feel like the Confederates would be big on designing a pistol round that can put a person down and put them down hard, able to be used in their SMGs too. No, not the .45 ACP of course, but perhaps any kind of round that can do the job of stopping a Yankee dead.

Him, an SMG with a butt-stock huh?

Well @cortz#9 here made a very handsome submachine-gun a while ago that I really like that has a wooden butt-stock. Its a fictional design of course, but hey.

View attachment 434569

^^^ --- This is @cortz#9 design. I like calling it the "Griswold".

Other than that I have no idea what the guards would be using as a submachine-gun with a wood-stock and a drum magazine...

... maybe a Suomi type submachine-gun?

View attachment 434570
I also did a version with a drum mag, I don't remember if I posted it or not so here it is.
+MP-4-w-drum-sml..jpg

Ooooh! So is this like a Confederate night-fighter or what? Looks cool. I know it says its basically like the Mosquito, but would this like... the Confederate night-fighter version of the Mosquito? Love the name for it here! Seems like we're always getting the best names for Confederate gear.
Its a multi role heavy fighter, its used as a night fighter, a ground-attack aircraft, a fast light bomber and below is a tank buster version armed with a 3,7cm cannon.
_FW-154-T.B..jpg

I think the CS would have to use most of their weapon systems in multiple roles to get the most out what they could produce considering how much more the Union can mass produce in comparison.

That be cool. I've been wondering how Japan's weapons and tech might have evolved in TL-191, did it follow the same path as OTL or did the Brits, French, Russians or the CSA sell or trade them tech?

Well, if you want to make one, like I said before go for it. You can probably break it down into several threads to be more specific, like "this one is for gear, weapons, and uniforms" and "this one is for general discussion", etc.
Well I got it set up.
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...equipment-of-the-secondary-combatants.460546/

@cortz#9 - Okay, I'm going to do a summary list for the Confederate tanks you did! This is going to be split into several parts, because the sheer amount of tanks for the Confederates on this thread is truly long! All of them are good though.

* --- If some of the vehicles on here need names or need to be clarified on what their designations are or what the gun calibers should be, let me know.

Confederate Armored Fighting Vehicles - Coyote "Main Line" Family - (Barrels/Tanks): 1941-1944

FV38M-A1 Coyote 57mm.png

^^^ --- FV38M-A1, "Coyote", 57mm gun

FV38M-A2 Coyote 75mm.png

^^^ --- FV38M-A2, "Coyote", 75mm gun

FV38M-A3 Coyote 75mm.png

^^^ --- FV38M-A3, "Coyote", 75mm gun

FV38M A4 "Kyote"  w17 Pdr.png

^^^ --- FV38M-A4, "Kyote", 17 pdr. gun

FV42B Jackal.png

^^^ --- FV42B, "Jackal", 57mm gun

Last edited:
@cortz#9 - Okay, I'm going to do a summary list for the Confederate tanks you did! This is going to be split into several parts, because the sheer amount of tanks for the Confederates on this thread is truly long! All of them are good though.

* --- If some of the vehicles on here need names or need to be clarified on what their designations are or what the gun calibers should be, let me know.

Confederate Armored Fighting Vehicles - Coyote "Medium Main" Family - (Barrels/Tanks): 1941-1944

View attachment 436096

^^^ --- FV38M-A1, "Coyote", 57mm gun

View attachment 436097

^^^ --- FV38M-A2, "Coyote", 75mm gun

View attachment 436098

^^^ --- FV38M-A3, "Coyote", 75mm gun

View attachment 436099

^^^ --- FV38M-A4, "Kyote", 17 pdr. gun

View attachment 436100

^^^ --- FV42B, "Jackal", long-barrel 75mm gun
The Jackal has a 57mm gun like the Coyote.

@cortz#9 - Part 2 of the Confederate tanks!

** --- I may have had to change some names around to make the progression from model to model make sense. Let me know if its okay.

Confederate Armored Fighting Vehicles - Coyote "Second Line" Family - (Barrel-Busters/Tank Destroyers/Anti-Air): 1941-1944

Armadillo I SV39 75mm.png

^^^ --- BK39-A1, "Armadillo I", "Dillo I" 75mm gun

Armadillo II BK40 Dillo 2.png

^^^ --- BK39-A2, "Armadillo II", "Dillo II", 75mm gun

Armadillo III BK39 A3 75mm Dillo 3.png

^^^ --- BK39-A3, "Armadillo III", "Dillo III", 75mm gun

Armadillo IV BK39 A4 Dillo 4 "Wile E" "Stalking Coyote" "Stalker" 20 Pdr -.png

^^^ --- BK39/40-A4, "Armadillo IV", "Dillo IV", "Wile E, "Stalking Coyote", "Stalker", 20 pdr. gun

BK38 Wolfhound 20pdr.png

^^^ --- BK38, "Wolfhound", 20 pdr. gun

SPAAG SV41 Black Hound 3.7cm auto cannon.png

^^^ --- SV41 SPAAG, "Blackhound", 3.7cm auto-cannon

SV42 Cerberus dual 20mm auto cannon.png

^^^ --- SV42 SPAAG, "Cerberus", 2x 20mm auto-cannon

@cortz#9 - Part 2 of the Confederate tanks!

** --- I may have had to change some names around to make the progression from model to model make sense. Let me know if its okay.

Confederate Armored Fighting Vehicles - Coyote "Second Line" Family - (Barrel-Busters/Tank Destroyers/Anti-Air): 1941-1944

View attachment 436101

^^^ --- BK39-A1, "Armadillo I", "Dillo I" 75mm gun

View attachment 436102

^^^ --- BK39-A2, "Armadillo II", "Dillo II", 75mm gun

View attachment 436103

^^^ --- BK39-A3, "Armadillo III", "Dillo III", 75mm gun

View attachment 436104

^^^ --- BK39/40-A4, "Armadillo IV", "Dillo IV", "Wile E, "Stalking Coyote", "Stalker", 20 pdr. gun

View attachment 436105

^^^ --- BK38, "Wolfhound", 20 pdr. gun

View attachment 436106

^^^ --- SV41 SPAAG, "Blackhound", 3.7cm auto-cannon

View attachment 436107

^^^ --- SV42 SPAAG, "Cerberus", 2x 20mm auto-cannon
They look correct to me. :cool:

@cortz#9 - Part 3 of the Confederate tanks!

** --- Once again, let me know if anything needs to be clarified in these summaries, whether it be names, designations, or gun calibers.

Confederate Armored Fighting Vehicles - Canine "Heavy Line" Family - (Barrels/Barrel-Busters/Tanks/Tank-Destroyers): 1941-1944

FV42H Dire Wolf 20pdr.png

^^^ --- FV42H, "Dire Wolf", 20 pdr. gun

FV44M Timber Wolf 17 Pdr.jpg

^^^ --- FV44M, "Timber Wolf", 17 pdr. gun

BK44 Bulldog w 32Pdr.-.png

^^^ --- BK44, "Gray Wolf", 32 pdr. gun

FV45 Alpha Wolf 90mm.png

^^^ --- FV45H, "Alpha Wolf", 90mm gun

@cortz#9 - Part 4!

Confederate Armored Fighting Vehicles - Stalwart "Light Line" Family - (Barrels/Barrel-Busters/Tanks/Tank-Destroyers/Transports/Specials): 1941-1944

FV38L-w-25mm Stalwart.png

^^^ --- FV38L-A1, "Stalwart", 25mm gun

SV38-w-flamthrower.png

^^^ --- SV38-A2, "Trooper", H39 flamethrower

SV38B 10.5cm gun.png

^^^ --- SV38B, "Hunter", 10.5cm gun

SV38 A2Rckt.-Lnchr SPRL Joshua's Trumpet.gif

^^^ --- SV38-A3, "Joshua's Trumpet", JG146-A2 rocket launcher

38'S 57mm .gif

^^^ --- BK38L, "Volunteer", 57mm gun

^^^ --- SV38T-A3, "Mule", G6 MG, Recon/Transport

@cortz#9 - Part 5. the Final installment!

* --- I may need clarification on the caliber guns and names used on some of these vehicles here.

Confederate Armored Fighting Vehicles - "Prototypes, Wonder Weapons, and Last-Ditch Tanks": 1941-1944

Crickit.png

^^^ --- XBK, "Cricket", 2x 32 pdr. guns

SPAM Self Propelled Assault Mortar 8 in. naval gun .jpg

^^^ --- Self Propelled Assault Mortar - SPAM, "Ant", 8 in. naval gun

Dire-Wolf w captured US 90mm gunCS Heavy Barrel Buster.png

^^^ --- FV42H/bdr-90, "Lazarus", captured US 90mm gun

US Mk.V captured with confederate  20mm.png

^^^ --- SV42c/bdr-Mk5, "Jairus", captured United States hull converted with 20mm auto-cannon

Those are all the relevant ones I could find. In total, we're looking at about 24-26 different Confederate tank designs! You should be proud! This is a commendable arsenal.
Thank you. And I think this is the most alternate designs I've ever done for one thread or TL, if you count the ones ones on the Yankee Joe thread as well, then Its definitely the most. :cool:

Last edited:
Thank you. And I think this is the most alternate designs I've ever done for one thread or TL, if you count the ones ones on the Yankee Joe thread as well, then Its definitely the most. :cool:

Heh. I tried organizing them by the type of hull-base you used. The Coyote had so many variants that I ended up grouping them into two distinct "Family Trees" to better organize them. That's how I got the "Main Line" and "Second Line" Coyote families, the former being the main battle tanks used by the Confederates, while the latter would be TDs or SPAAG based on the Coyote hull.

The "Light Line" Stalwart family tree had the same idea in mind, all based around the same hull. The "Heavy Line" was a bit tricky to classify since the Timber Wolf is technically a medium tank with a much bigger gun and a different hull and the Alpha Wolf is an entirely different design, but I felt they all could be regarded as part of the same class either way.

Heh. I tried organizing them by the type of hull-base you used. The Coyote had so many variants that I ended up grouping them into two distinct "Family Trees" to better organize them. That's how I got the "Main Line" and "Second Line" Coyote families, the former being the main battle tanks used by the Confederates, while the latter would be TDs or SPAAG based on the Coyote hull.

The "Light Line" Stalwart family tree had the same idea in mind, all based around the same hull. The "Heavy Line" was a bit tricky to classify since the Timber Wolf is technically a medium tank with a much bigger gun and a different hull and the Alpha Wolf is an entirely different design, but I felt they all could be regarded as part of the same class either way.
You did a good job of it.

We've mentioned the Confederate Navy, and though they could (and did) build their own warships up to cruiser size (one of the Great War books mentions Anne Colleton and Confederate President Woodrow Wilson attending the launch of a light cruiser), and maybe the coastal defense battleships-want to bet that they did buy ships from the British? Just before the Newport News nuclear strike, there's a Confederate heavy cruiser laid up, but still tossing 8" shells at advancing U.S. ground forces (who likely have been told to halt in place and take cover) When I read that, the first ship that pops into my mind is a British County-class heavy cruiser. Either they bought ships from the Brits, or had components imported prewar to use on their own construction.

^^^ --- These I like because they have color. Plus, I also like the theming here - tan for the Confederates and green for the Yankees.

Come to think of it, I don't think we've ever got many interpretations of what the Confederate Mule "Ass Kicker" dive bomber really looks like. I found this picture while browsing some alternatives.

Its made by a Flickr user named Barnstormer4, so credit to that user for this image. Its closer in appearance to what the Stuka looks like, which is fine by me honestly, but other interpretations are welcomed here.

5303330058_000665fd72_b.jpg