Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Whats the obsession with having southern Ukraine go to Russia? I'm fairly certain they aren't majority Russian like Donbass or Crimea

Not a majority, but a very large portion. Also, that area has been part of Russia for centuries, plus there's the other reasons.

I'm not even sure if even any Russian ultranationalist still claims the 'optimistic' borders they initially desired. That was just a pipe-dream, it has faded, and now even the most rabid nationalists only claim Crimea and Novorossiya (as far as I know; I may be underestimating the lunacy of some extremists).

Not lunacy if you take into account the possibility of a proper Russian intervention.

Just stumbled over this at reddit:
(sorry they had no better quality)

39x2ctk1htb21.jpg

Just stumbled over this at reddit:
(sorry they had no better quality)

So it doesn't say who the "conquerers" would be, but by reading between the lines and with a bit of intuition, here's what I can conclude:

Yellow = Japan
Pinkish? = Mexico
Green = Canada
Red = Britain, likely with Spain taking Florida

So, can someone QBAM and/or Worlda this?

"Poland in her Natural Borders" by Oskar Żebrowski, 1847
jvKh77d.jpg
Instead of choosing to re-building Poland along the lines of either the Piast or the Jagiellonian dynasty, they a ridiculous irredentist version of both combined. This map makes sense considering its publishing date, before the 1860s re-establishing an independent Poland meant re-establishing the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, not a homogenous Polish nation-state like the one that exists today.

So it doesn't say who the "conquerers" would be, but by reading between the lines and with a bit of intuition, here's what I can conclude:

Yellow = Japan
Pinkish? = Mexico
Green = Canada
Red = Britain, likely with Spain taking Florida

So, can someone QBAM and/or Worlda this?

But given the date (November 1939), wouldn't it make more sense for it to be a Japan/Mexico/Germany split than a Japan/Mexico/UK-Canada split?

But given the date (November 1939), wouldn't it make more sense for it to be a Japan/Mexico/Germany split than a Japan/Mexico/UK-Canada split?
Nah, unfortunately, many Americans actually viewed the Nazis favorably right up until they declared war on us in support of Japan.

Skallagrim

Banned
"Poland in her Natural Borders" by Oskar Żebrowski, 1847

That's... ambitious. It's like a plan designed to piss off all the neighbours at once. (But as others have noted, this is more an anachronistic, romanticised vision of a PLC "revival" than anything aiming at a realistic Polish state.)

I do wonder what the lines connectic various cities represent. Planned roads? But then why do they all deliberately avoid Warsaw? or are those cities like regional capitals? But then, once again... why isn't Warsaw included? I can't figure out what the meaning is.

That's... ambitious. It's like a plan designed to piss off all the neighbours at once. (But as others have noted, this is more an anachronistic, romanticised vision of a PLC "revival" than anything aiming at a realistic Polish state.)

I do wonder what the lines connectic various cities represent. Planned roads? But then why do they all deliberately avoid Warsaw? or are those cities like regional capitals? But then, once again... why isn't Warsaw included? I can't figure out what the meaning is.
The text next to each of the lines ("podstawa panowania polskiego") means "the foundation of Polish rule"

Gniezno-Krakow is the "first foundation"
Krakow-Kiev is the "second foundation"
Vilnius-Kiev is the "third foundation"
Gniezno-Vilnius is the "fourth foundation"

Make of that what you will. My guess would be that it's supposed to state that Poland needs to have all four of those cities to count as its natural borders.

Skallagrim

Banned
The text next to each of the lines ("podstawa panowania polskiego") means "the foundation of Polish rule"

Make of that what you will. My guess would be that it's supposed to state that Poland needs to have all four of those cities to count as its natural borders.

Thanks! It's sounds vaguely mystical when put like that, really.

...Now I'm thinking of an ASB scenario where someone seeks to create an "Alchemical Kingdom of Poland", by gaining control over the cities, connected by ley lines or something, that hold the magical "foundations" for this undertaking. :cool:

Looks like these are natural borders of Poland as in Poland-Lithuania, and natural here means geographical features - rivers, mountains and sea coasts. Although why they would want Moldavia is above me, when Dniester would be as good natural border. And I would say that Lwów rather than Kiev was core Polish city.

Make of that what you will.

I now wonder if Asimov was inspired by that map when he started his foundation series.