TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

The A88, aate war development of the A44 Raptor, a twin fuselage A44.

_A88+.gif

Designed for long range and anti-bomber missions, it was also hoped the twin engine would be fast enough to engage or avoid more numerous enemy fighters as required. Only a single squadron of A88's was put into action near the end of the war with mixed results.

Last edited:
Should there be a thread on the secondary powers and combatants of the Great Wars? Quebec, Mexico, Australia, Ireland, Germany's Eastern European vassals etc.

Should there be a thread on the secondary powers and combatants of the Great Wars? Quebec, Mexico, Australia, Ireland, Germany's Eastern European vassals etc.
That be cool. I've been wondering how Japan's weapons and tech might have evolved in TL-191, did it follow the same path as OTL or did the Brits, French, Russians or the CSA sell or trade them tech?

Any thoughts on this bird for the Confederates? The Focke-Wulf Ta-154...One advantage of this aircraft is that it's constructed primarily of wood, just as the RAF Mosquito.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Ta_154
Hughes V-43 Dragonfly heavy fighter of the 21st fighter squadron operating out of Memphis Tenn.
_FW-154.jpg

Swapped out the Junker Jumo engines with Bristol Hercules 14 cylinder radial engines (same engine used in the Bristol Beaufighter). It made sense to me that this plane would have a British engine (it is AH after all)and while the OTL German Moskito was primarily intended to be a night fighter, the CSAC uses it in variety of roles the way the Brits used their Mosquito IOTL.
Amrmament is 2x20mm cannons & 2x50 cal. heavy MG's.

Well, if you want to make one, like I said before go for it. You can probably break it down into several threads to be more specific, like "this one is for gear, weapons, and uniforms" and "this one is for general discussion", etc.

Hughes V-43 Dragonfly heavy fighter of the 21st fighter squadron operating out of Memphis Tenn.

Swapped out the Junker Jumo engines with Bristol Hercules 14 cylinder radial engines (same engine used in the Bristol Beaufighter). It made sense to me that this plane would have a British engine (it is AH after all)and while the OTL German Moskito was primarily intended to be a night fighter, the CSAC uses it in variety of roles the way the Brits used their Mosquito IOTL.

Amrmament is 2x20mm cannons & 2x50 cal. heavy MG's.

Ooooh! So is this like a Confederate night-fighter or what? Looks cool. I know it says its basically like the Mosquito, but would this like... the Confederate night-fighter version of the Mosquito? Love the name for it here! Seems like we're always getting the best names for Confederate gear.

Some of the scenes where Pinkard and Hip have SMGs mention drum magazines, it should be pointed out. Were the Freedom Party Guards using a different model than the Confederate Army?

Some of the scenes where Pinkard and Hip have SMGs mention drum magazines, it should be pointed out. Were the Freedom Party Guards using a different model than the Confederate Army?

Most likely, yeah. It could be that they are using a different model currently in service with the Confederate Armed Forces. In our time line there were always several submachine-gun designs in service with the major armies, so its likely that the guards may be using a gun that, while different than the ones given to frontline troops, were still in service in the Confederate Army and likely given to second line troops in smaller numbers.

An example of this would be in OTL the M1A1 Thompson being used widely during WWII, with the M3 Grease Gun intended as the cheaper replacement, the Reising M50 issued in small numbers to Coast Guard and Navy personnel, and the United Defense M42 being air-dropped and used by partisans in occupied countries by the OSS.

There are more and even better examples of course in other armies - like the Germans, who used a multitude of designs or captured weapons, or even the Soviets creating the PPs-43 used in service along side the PPsh-41.

Is it just or do these Submachine guns look like the type that the CSA would use?
View attachment 434544 View attachment 434545

Maybe! Maybe some opportunistic Italian designers looking for gainful employment with the Confederates sought build their designs and see if they worked on the battlefields of North America :p

Right, well, I think out of the two examples here, the stamped-metal compact OG-43 would probably be the better candidate for the Confederates rather than the OG-44 wood-stock version, but that's just me. I say that because they would probably be looking for cheaply-made guns that could be pumped out quickly.

Almost certainly. I do agree with you on that. And speaking of the Thompson, it's mentioned in the books-in U.S. service.

Any idea as to what caliber the CSA would be using? Certainly not .45, as the Thompson uses that.

Party Guards preferred the SMGs with wooden butts, so they could use the butts on prisoners....

Almost certainly. I do agree with you on that. And speaking of the Thompson, it's mentioned in the books-in U.S. service.

Any idea as to what caliber the CSA would be using? Certainly not .45, as the Thompson uses that.

Party Guards preferred the SMGs with wooden butts, so they could use the butts on prisoners....

Ah, yes, the M1A1 Thompson in US service. Yes, I do remember that it was still being used by the United States in TL-191, as well as the Springfield 1903. Seems like a few recognizable US weapons are still in US service in TL-191. A critical weapon missing is the M1 Garand it seems.

Hm. Have no idea what caliber the CSA would be using in their submachine-guns. Since the .45 was in service with the US, the CS would develop their own caliber. While I can't say the exact round, I can probably give a guess as to the design philosophy - as in "Hey y'all, what kind of bullet is powerful enough to stop a Yankee dead in his tracks?"

You know this already for sure - in our timeline the US military needed a handgun and a bullet that had more stopping power and, overall, a better reload rate based on their experiences in the Philippines - they needed "man-stopping" rounds and guns that could fire them in a more fictive way.

The Confederates in TL-191 by 1941 have the knowledge and experience of three major wars under their belt, with the Great War of 1914-1917 and the Mexican Civil War of the 1920s being their most relevant "testing grounds" for effective ammunition. My best guess is that the Confederates would need a round that is reliable enough in poor environmental conditions, can stop a man with enough force to put him down in close quarters, and can be reliably fired from a pistol and a submachine-gun. Furthermore, they would have to design guns that can be interchangeable with the same round to ease supply issues and logistics - the thinking being "hey, lets make some guns that can fire the same reliable round".

Maybe that's a good idea, maybe not. I just feel like the Confederates would be big on designing a pistol round that can put a person down and put them down hard, able to be used in their SMGs too. No, not the .45 ACP of course, but perhaps any kind of round that can do the job of stopping a Yankee dead.

Him, an SMG with a butt-stock huh?

Well @cortz#9 here made a very handsome submachine-gun a while ago that I really like that has a wooden butt-stock. Its a fictional design of course, but hey.

vdEwsN2.jpg

^^^ --- This is @cortz#9 design. I like calling it the "Griswold".

Other than that I have no idea what the guards would be using as a submachine-gun with a wood-stock and a drum magazine...

... maybe a Suomi type submachine-gun?

f1m31.jpg

I also wondered what caliber the CSA used.