Flower O'Scotland

Chapter 31: Death Of A King

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 31: Death of a King

January, 1547

James of Scotland had not agreed to an alliance with the French, yet. That was good news, but the word was out that he was looking for a bride for his son, and he was not looking to England or France. Catherine had tried to tempt him with an offer of a domestic marriage for his son and had been rejected. She had tried to speak with King Henry and also been rejected. She was terrified that England was going to be isolated completely now. More so than at any time during her husband’s reign. And of course now the King was dying. Edward was ill, from something or the other, what it was nobody knew but it was eating him alive.

She had come to his rooms to speak with the doctor. “Well?” She asked. “Is there any progress?”

Doctor Thomas was a young man, but frail, he seemed to be perpetually scared. “Your Majesty, I am afraid not.”

“What is wrong with him?” She demanded. Edward had always been a frail child, but never like this.

“There is something eating at his lungs, Majesty. We have tried to find its source, but to do so, we would risk killing him.” the Doctor said, before quickly making some sort of sign.

“And is there nothing else that can be done for him?” Catherine asked. Trying desperately to keep her voice balanced.

The Doctor thought for a moment. “There is one thing that could be done, but to mention it would be treason.”

Catherine looked around, then she dismissed her step-son’s attendants and looked at the doctor. “Speak.”

The doctor took a moment and then said. “We could try operating, draining whatever is stuck within, and then perhaps add a tonic to soothe his pain. It would give him the everlasting sleep, but it would solve all the problems we face.”

Catherine thought about this for a moment. What the man was suggesting was treason, but to not do it and allow the King to die anyway was also treason. She thought about it, thought about her own Eleanor who was sleeping in a room on the other side of the palace, and made up her mind. “Do it.” she commanded. “What do you need?”

“I need my tools, and my assistants.” The Doctor said, his shoulders squaring.

“Where are they?” Catherine asked.

“Outside.” The Doctor said.

Catherine turned opened the door and said. “Get in.” to those wearing robes. She then turned back to the Doctor and said. “Get to it. I shall be outside.” The doctor nodded, she strode out and shut the door behind her, waiting.

She was not sure how much time had passed, but sure enough Thomas appeared. He bowed before her and whispered. “What is happening, why are you standing outside the King’s room?”

Catherine said nothing apart from. “The King is having God’s will done.”

Thomas raised an eyebrow and then whispered. “Should I rouse Princess Eleanor?”

Catherine shook her head. “Not yet. Wait until the doctor comes out.” With that she touched his arm and started walking away.

“Where are you going?” Thomas asked.

“To my daughter.” She continued walking and then stopped and said. “When he comes out, acknowledge what he says but then order him arrested and have his tongue cut out.”

“What?! Why?!” Thomas asked horrified.

“Because what he will tell you is treason.” Catherine said, she continued walking then, her mind whirring. Soon enough Edward would be dead, and her daughter would be Queen, and then nobody would be able to touch her. She touched her stomach, perhaps then she could formally announce she was pregnant with Thomas’s child. She eventually reached her daughter’s rooms, where the guards nodded to her before opening the doors. She walked in, looked at her daughter fast asleep on the bed, kissed her, and then sat down.

She must have closed her eyes, for suddenly she was being shaken awake. She looked up and saw Thomas standing over her. “The King is dead.”

Catherine blinked awake then, and moved to her daughter. “Eleanor, darling, wake up.” Slowly her daughter woke.

“What is it Mama?” Eleanor asked.

Catherine got down before her daughter and whispered. “You are Queen now, sweetheart.”

There are other families than the Howards Lemmy. Also the people and the church and other are gonna have a say in the matter.

Thereare other families than the Howards Lemmy. Also the people and the church and other are gonna have a say in the matter.

Yes, and not a single one of those others can question Eleanor's legitimacy, unlike Mary. Mary might be Henry's eldest, but legally, she's illegitimate right now. Eleanor is not, no matter what side of the faith division you stand. Mary can only be Queen over her half-sister's body and Mary loves children too much to ever condone the murder of an innocent. Whatever she may think of Katherine Howard...

Otl she did not care about taking the throne even if she had Elizabeth to step over. And I never said that Mary should murder Eleanor. Just keep her in royal custody and then when she's like 14 marry her off abroad to some catholic duke far away.

The best solution for Mary is just to seek assylum and support from her cousin, Charles V.

Dying on childbirth would be sweet for her or end up like her cousin, Christina.

Otl she did not care about taking the throne even if she had Elizabeth to step over. And I never said that Mary should murder Eleanor. Just keep her in royal custody and then when she's like 14 marry her off abroad to some catholic duke far away.

Yes, but she never accepted Anne's marriage to Henry. She always saw herself as legitimate and Elizabeth as a bastard. That's not the case as regards Henry's marriage to Katherine Howard and by extension, Eleanor. Mary may well want the throne, but, IMO, her case is much weaker here than it was OTL.

Last edited:
Yes, but she never accepted Anne's marriage to Henry. She always saw herself as legitimate and Elizabeth as a bastard. That's not the case Henry's marriage to Katherine Howard and by extension, Eleanor. Mary may well want the throne, but, IMO, her case is much weaker here than it was OTL.
That is why i say that she should just copy her cousin, Christina.

I think Mary Tudor should had moved on from the Throne since that is one of the reasons why she was not been able to marry her choice of husband Philip of Bavaria....I think Mary should just move away, move on and marry and have the throne the least of her priorities which Christina, her cousin did.

Last edited:
Come on, this is Mary Bloody Tudor we are speaking of! The sole child of Catherine of Aragon! Why turn tail when you can take the throne?

Come on, this is Mary Bloody Tudor we are speaking of! The sole child of Catherine of Aragon! Why turn tail when you can take the throne?
Because she can not do that... OTL she was not fighting against her father’s will and a Parliament act who explicitly say who the throne is not hers (plus OTL Henry put back Mary and Elizabeth in the li 3 of succession after his wedding to Catherine Parr so what is the line of succession established by Henry here? Likely would be Edward, Eleanor, and then directly the heirs of his sister Mary with Mary and Elizabeth excluded)

Because she can not do that... OTL she was not fighting against her father’s will and a Parliament act who explicitly say who the throne is not hers (plus OTL Henry put back Mary and Elizabeth in the li 3 of succession after his wedding to Catherine Parr so what is the line of succession established by Henry here? Likely would be Edward, Eleanor, and then directly the heirs of his sister Mary with Mary and Elizabeth excluded)

Well, Elizabeth is dead TTL anyway, so she's out of the picture. But I do agree with you that Mary will know, in this scenario, that she can't take the throne until little Eleanor is dead. Which may not be long. Children were fragile in those days. Not that I am ill-wishing little Queen Nell, I hasten to add!

Chapter 32: Mary, Won't You Kneel?

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 32: Mary, Won’t You Kneel?

April, 1547

Mary fixed the hem of her dress and watched the woman before her. Catherine Howard was seven years younger than her, but had been a Queen, and was now Mother to one. That thought made Mary both want to laugh and cry. The woman who had bested her in gaining her father’s affection. Queen Eleanor had been accepted as England’s first female ruler, an honour that should have gone to her alone. Mary blinked and then curtseyed before the woman who was regent, but also pregnant. Mary had seen enough pregnant women to know that.

“Your Majesty, I have come as you requested.” Mary said. She had ventured out from her estates in Norfolk for this reason, and now only two days at Whitehall and she deeply regretted it.

“Good.” The woman before her said with as much imperiousness as a common born woman could muster. “I have asked you here to discuss two important things.”

“I am at Your Majesty’s service.” Mary said barely able to hold back the anger and resentment at being talked to by a noble’s daughter.

“Firstly, I received reports that you were seen meeting with various nobles, including the Duke of Suffolk’s own mother. I would wish to know why that was.” Catherine Howard said.

Mary looked at the woman and said. “I was merely wishing to see how she was getting on. It is not an easy thing to raise two boys by yourself.”

“And yet you were not a friend to her husband, whilst he was alive.” Catherine Howard said.

“I did not know the Duke.” Mary said, which was the truth. She had not known him well enough for such a thing to happen.

“And what of your visit to see the Greys? That is most strange as well.” Catherine said.

“Hardly, Your Majesty. Frances Grey is my cousin, and therefore I wished to meet with her. There is no restriction on who I may meet, that I am aware of.” Mary replied simply.

Catherine Howard snorted. “I am not suggesting that there is. I am merely asking why you decided to meet with them.”

Mary suspected she knew where this was going and knew she would need to be careful as to how she replied. Therefore, she simply said. “I wished to meet with her and talk to her about things, that is all.”

“And you are sure that the mobilising of men in the Suffolk and Grey lands had nothing to do with that?” Catherine asked.

Mary felt her eyes widen. “Truly, I had no idea that anything like that had happened.” That was a lie, but she knew Catherine Howard would not know that.

“Very well.” Catherine Howard said.

“My Regent, I have already sworn the oath of allegiance to Her Majesty, I do not want that throne, nor do I covet it. I reject anyone who suggests otherwise. I will swear my oath of allegiance again if you wish for me to.” Mary said.

Catherine Howard shook her head. “No, that is not necessary, though that does lead me to my second question for you.”

“Your Majesty?” Mary asked wondering where this was going.

“You are a woman grown and perhaps the time has come for you to marry.” Catherine said.

Mary suspected a trap, but all she said was. “Who does Your Majesty have in mind?”

“My Brother, George. He is a handsome young man and in need of a wife to bear him sons.” Catherine said.

Mary was horrified, the thought of being tied to this woman was more than she could bear. But she could not afford to say no. So, she said. “It would be my honour.”