The Twin Vipers: A TL of the Berlin-Moscow Axis

Status
Not open for further replies.
World war 2 games in this timeline will be so much fun. The Third Reich is bunch of evil cowards who lost the second time, the Soviet is last boss hunger for more power. The Allies missions will be bloody in trend warfare, the Japan mission will be more brutal with the commander order you Banzai charge to millions of Red army. Activision, you have my 60$ if you make that call of duty.

Also if you make dlc that I can control the Yamato in Battle of the Shetlands you have my another 40$ dlc.

I'm just imagining the HoI series in this universe. Playing as either Germany or Russia is going to be batshit crazy becauee you're going to be taking on just about every single nation on the planet.

TTL's Panzer General would be pretty epic as well - leading the Allies on a grand march from right outside Paris to somewhere deep in Russia, or a Soviet campaign where you go from stomping the Japanese and Middle Eastern front to HOLY GOD IT'S PATTON!!!

To OP please nerf, as least France did not surrender instantly when German parachute to Paris.
Honestly the surrender of France would break the balance of those games pretty bad - can't really imagine the developers including a focus tree of "Betray Hitler's Best Buddy", and a B-M Axis that controls France and Korea is basically unbeatable.

Also, seeing how the Nazi flag usually gets replaced with a similar looking variant with an Iron Cross or something in place of a swastika, perhaps we see something like this as the Soviet flag?
SOV.PNG

- BNC

12/44-1/45
Blood Spilled In a Battered City, December 1944

General Antonov’s weak performance in the field had caused him to ask Stalin to allow him to return to STAVKA and resume his old position, thinking that he would be more useful to the Soviet cause as a staff officer. Stalin, with five years of experience handling the war, was much more inclined to listen to his generals now than when he had ordered Zhukov to push the Japanese out of Mongolia in 1939. Antonov’s replacement was another STAVKA man, Ivan Bagramyan, who had been a corps commander during the Turkish operation in 1941 and was known for his fussily precise staff work much like Antonov, with a cautious commander still believed to be the answer to an unpredictable and aggressive Patton.

General Bagramyan arrived at the front with orders to finally finish the Battle of Berlin, where Soviet, German and Allied men had been locked down in intense battle for six months, and some streets had changed hands as many as fifteen times. Only ruins were left of a city that Adolf Hitler had once declared would become the greatest city in the world, now being destroyed by soldiers fighting in the hopes of restoring Hitler’s successor to power.

As winter approached, Bagramyan decided that it was time for an all-out offensive to take the rest of Berlin from the Allies. Poor weather would prevent the ever-present Allied air forces from interfering, while new issue of assault rifles would give the Soviet infantry an advantage over those of their enemies, which could be decisive in a city battle where tanks were vulnerable and heavy artillery support near-impossible to accurately aim. Most importantly of all, Bagramyan hoped to pin down Patton, who was well known to be operating in the area, as his force was considered the most dangerous of all Allied armies.

Patton had no interest in fighting Bagramyan’s ideal battle. British code-breakers intercepted a message from Bagramyan to Stalin that described his battle plan in great deal (as the general was known for doing), which included the date of the battle’s beginning. The day before, Patton quietly pulled most of his forces out of the city towards Potsdam, hoping to make the Soviets waste their momentum against a non-existent force. As the Red Army swarmed into Berlin, Patton was on a platform in Potsdam giving a speech to his troops, declaring “We’re not going to hold a single god-damned thing. There is only attack, and attack always.”

The next day, Patton struck back. While parts of his forces defended positions behind rivers just to the west of Berlin, the bulk of Patton’s forces launched a massive attack to the south, avoiding the city entirely. Bagramyan’s flank was immediately put into jeopardy, while his tank forces were obliterated by the arrival of the first true Allied heavy tank of the war: the M29 MacArthur. With eleven inches of frontal armour, the MacArthur was the only tank currently fielded by the Allies that could survive a hit from the Wolf’s massive gun at extreme long-range, finally ending the Red Army’s complete dominance in armour and making large scale offensives possible once more.

Patton made good on his promise of not holding any ground, completely bypassing Berlin as he crossed the Spree River at Wildau and stormed towards the Oder. A break in the weather allowed the USAAF to bombard the Soviet positions from above, while P-80 Shooting Stars and MiG-262s clashed in the first large air battle fought between jet fighters in history. Patton’s Third American Army seized Frankfurt-an-der-Oder on Christmas 1944, for which he would be awarded a fourth star early into the New Year.

An Axis in One Country, January 1945

The destruction of Soviet airfields in accordance with the Oil Plan had left the Red Army vulnerable to aerial attack from the increasingly dominant RAF and USAAF, and as Patton marched in the north, south of the Danube the Italians looked ready to make another move. Their last battle against the Red Army had seen brave Italian soldiers thrown back across the Danube in face of Guards Tank units, which contained heavy tanks far superior to anything the Italians had fielded then. With variants of the M4 Sherman carrying 17lber cannons, and the best of the Red Army being crushed by Patton in Germany, Graziani wanted to secure more glory for Italy.

Graziani was not going to strike the Red Army directly however. In Hungary, Stalin and the NKVD had overthrown Admiral Horthy (who was now well acquainted with the inner workings of a gulag) and installed a communist government instead. The Hungarian army, which was now mostly equipped with weapons stolen from the SS during the German Civil War, had little interest in fighting for a hated ruler and his despised master. The people of Hungary wanted peace, but anyone who voiced that opinion was certain to join Horthy in Siberia.

The Italian offensive began on December 22nd, 1944, with thousands of Hungarians abandoning the fight at the first chance they got, hoping to escape Stalin and Rakosi’s grip, sitting out the rest of the war in a PoW camp. The Hungarian line was quickly broken through, and Budapest was taken with minimal resistance. Angry Hungarian citizens stormed the Sandor Palace and shot Rakosi, while the NKVD was left powerless to resist in face of the approaching Allied armies. Shortly afterwards, the French 2nd Army would capture Bratislava, overthrowing Jozef Tiso and forcing Stalin’s last independent ally out of the war.

A New Direction, January 1945

Within hours of his inauguration, President Harry Truman was on the telephone with Winston Churchill, hoping to determine how much the British were capable of contributing to the war. Churchill, like Daladier, was beginning to grow concerned about the ability of his nation to provide enough manpower for the front while maintaining a productive economy back home. Unlike France, for Britain the situation was not so urgent as to require the immediate transfer of units to quiet parts of the line or occupation duty in Germany, but Churchill did say that the war needed to be ended within the next twelve or eighteen months.

As Patton’s troops were nearing Poland, the possibility of using liberated populations in the fight against communism was also raised. A brief discussion on the use of Germans had been shut down by Roosevelt as it risked allowing a revival of Nazism, but the formation of a new Polish Army carried no such risk, and similar liberation movements were also possible in Romania, the Baltic Region and even the Ukraine, the latter in particular having acquired considerable support after Ukrainian nationalist Stepan Bandera had been freed from Nazi house arrest in Munich (his arrest likely having taken place at Stalin’s request).

Churchill, like Truman, was also determined to rid Russia of the communist regime at the end of the war, in a similar manner to the denazification efforts already taking place in Germany. Without a complete defeat of the Red Army however, this would likely be too large a demand at a future peace conference, but Truman pledged that at the very least, Stalin would be removed from power and the remaining Nazi leadership would have to be handed over as a minimum requirement for peace. After the other Allies agreed to this, a message was communicated to Moscow in the hope that the Communist Party would remove Stalin from power.

Although this did not prompt an immediate overthrow of Stalin, Truman still found success on the diplomatic front. Within days of Truman’s inauguration, Francisco Franco offered to commit the million-strong Spanish Army to the “crusade against communism” if the United States was prepared to provide the army with modern equipment to replace weapons dating back to the Spanish Civil War. With American factories producing more than a thousand tanks every month, most of them M26 Pershings, the decision was obvious, and Spain joined the Allies on February 6th, 1945.

- BNC

Love the new update. My boi finally proving himself against the godless reds.

Also a shame how much more fascism will be validated because of this Alt-war, Spain and Italy providing blood and iron to the allied cause is surely a good thing for the war, but bad for the future of liberalism and especially minorities in Spain. At least for quite some time.

Also a shame how much more fascism will be validated because of this Alt-war, Spain and Italy providing blood and iron to the allied cause is surely a good thing for the war, but bad for the future of liberalism and especially minorities in Spain. At least for quite some time.
At this point in the war, Spain joining, even if it means more legitimacy for fascism, is probably going to lead to a better outcome for the majority of the world than if they stayed out of it. With the French effectively withdrawing from the war and Britain going the same way, Spanish manpower may be the difference between something like a white peace with Stalin (which means communism continues, and Nazism isn't entirely snuffed out due to Nazis living in Moscow) and a decisive defeat of two of the most oppressive ideologies of the world. Moderate fascism, for lack of a better term, at least has the virtue of being moderate. Nazism and Stalinism can't even say that. (EDIT: Just to make clear, I mean moderate compared to other forms of fascism, not compared to other government types in general)

I believe you misdraw this
Yeah, maybe I did.

- BNC

Last edited:
Caught up! This is a rousing read, thanks for writing it! I've had a lot of thoughts while reading, most of which disappeared as soon as I started a new section. Here's what's left:

Why's the tank called the MacArthur? What's that old rattlesnake up to, anyway?

Also, I was just thinking about Stalin's efforts at population transfer. How might those be affected by an approaching Allied front? Would he speed up the expulsion of Ukrainians/Poles/Romanians, or would he abandon the effort as kinda pointless in that you have to hold land to resettle it in the first place, and "we'll get them later on our way back through with the next advance."

I realize the state of the eventual peace treaty is very much up in the air, but the return of deportees should at least be considered as a demand, right?

One group that should have a very different destiny: ethnic Germans like the Volga Germans. What's up with them? Probably the easiest possibility is that they just stay put, as the Russians don't care and people generally don't like to move en masse for no good reason. But we're talking about two governments in love with massive, disruptive social experimentation, so another possibility might be mass resettlement in the General Government area, maybe? Wherever they are, how are these minorities being treated by the Nazis in Moscow, who are, after all, a government in search of a people to rule.

Transylvanian Saxons, what happened to them? Too quick a collapse for any notable movement?

So how are the French and British treating their dominions and colonies? Since they will be contributing men and materials have they pushed for more autonomy or citizenship from the central government?

Cool, looks like were finally going to see a drive to Moscow. Spain always interested me as a fascist government that was never invaded during world war 2, cool to see them contribute troops to the allies. Great update!

Why's the tank called the MacArthur? What's that old rattlesnake up to, anyway?
Two big reasons:
1. Both Douglas "Drop a Nuke on Them" MacArthur and his father Arthur Jr were both pretty well respected generals by 1939, and I don't know enough obscure American generals (eg. Chaffee) so just gave it to someone who would at least be recognised and is a reasonable enough pick by FDR.
2. Doug is pretty well hated by AH.com (me included), and I get a lot of amusement out of putting in jokes like that in the hope that someone will comment something that I can have a laugh from. (In my Napoleon TL last year I made a bit of a point of not giving the USA a Pacific port just because everyone kept asking for it and I thought it was funny, this is more of the same).

As for what he's up to, he retired in 1937 and without Japan making noises about the Philippines, no reason to pull him back into active service. So he's not really doing anything.

Also, I was just thinking about Stalin's efforts at population transfer. How might those be affected by an approaching Allied front? Would he speed up the expulsion of Ukrainians/Poles/Romanians, or would he abandon the effort as kinda pointless in that you have to hold land to resettle it in the first place, and "we'll get them later on our way back through with the next advance."

He has had three years of peace on the western frontier that he never got IOTL, that's probably more than enough time for him to do all the deportations he wanted there.

I realize the state of the eventual peace treaty is very much up in the air, but the return of deportees should at least be considered as a demand, right?
I can't see the Allies ever being in a strong enough negotiating position to actually force Stalin to move several million people, most of whom resided in Soviet borders at the beginning of the war. Nazi war criminals and PoWs are one thing, forced resettlement of millions that the Allies never had jurisdiction over is quite another.

One group that should have a very different destiny: ethnic Germans like the Volga Germans. What's up with them? Probably the easiest possibility is that they just stay put, as the Russians don't care and people generally don't like to move en masse for no good reason. But we're talking about two governments in love with massive, disruptive social experimentation, so another possibility might be mass resettlement in the General Government area, maybe?
Transylvanian Saxons, what happened to them? Too quick a collapse for any notable movement?
Honestly I've barely even heard of either group so can't say a lot about them. Ethnic Germans in the USSR are treated a lot better ITTL though.

Wherever they are, how are these minorities being treated by the Nazis in Moscow, who are, after all, a government in search of a people to rule.
Halder and the others don't have any power in Moscow. Stalin is just holding on to them so that when the "ever victorious Red Army makes its triumphant return to Germany", that a suitable puppet leader is still alive and able to be installed in power. And because they provide Stalin with a good excuse to basically rule Germany himself (see pulling the industry out of Silesia).

So how are the French and British treating their dominions and colonies? Since they will be contributing men and materials have they pushed for more autonomy or citizenship from the central government?
The Dominions at least already had quite a bit of say over their units (am Australian, have heard the story about Curtin pulling our men back for home defence enough times to be sick of it). As far as relations go, the British haven't pulled something as stupid as the Bengal famine ITTL and there would be a few more vague promises given, but no major changes.

Read this in one sitting - hell freaking yes, Patton taking Berlin and onward to Moscow.
Cool, looks like were finally going to see a drive to Moscow. Spain always interested me as a fascist government that was never invaded during world war 2, cool to see them contribute troops to the allies. Great update!
Glad you like it :)

- BNC

2/45-4/45
Danzig: The Last Battle of the Wehrmacht, February 1945

What remained of the Wehrmacht in 1945 was a hastily assembled force of around 150,000 men that was effectively a part of the Red Army. Although the officers from General Model down were all Germans, the soldiers used Soviet equipment, took orders from Soviet leaders and most importantly, fought to protect what was effectively Soviet territory. As Patton surged across the Oder, the last remnant of the Wehrmacht was no longer in Germany, but in Poland near the city of Danzig, the very territory for which the Wehrmacht had been built to acquire.

The British, covering Patton’s northern flank, would be the ones to destroy the German army once and for all. In addition to what equipment the Red Army could spare, the Germans were using a variety of their own weapons, many of which were obsolete years ago. British Tortoise tanks, built to combat the Tiger and Wolf, found their massive 32lber gun being used against Panzer IIs and IIIs, while the Luftwaffe’s few remaining planes, most of them Bf 109s, were little more than extra training for Meteor pilots. As General Alexander used Patton’s momentum to push past the German army, take Danzig and encircle Model’s men, O’Connor launched a final, decisive attack.

Goring, by now out of hospital and officially the German Fuhrer, was angry that the Red Army was not immediately committed to the fight in Danzig, despite Patton’s forces presenting a much more urgent, and powerful, threat to the south. Goring, who cared little for the growing oil shortage in the USSR and even less for the Allied bombers bombing every supply convoy they could find, demanded that Stalin do something to restore Germany. Stalin promised Goring that three Guards Tank Armies would be sent immediately to the front near Danzig for an offensive against the British.

Goring was found dead the next morning. Moscow reported it as a case of heart failure. No offensive ever materialised.

The City That Once Saw War, March 1945

Patton’s promotion to full General following the fall of Berlin effectively made him commander of all American forces in Europe. His crossing of the Oder had forced much of the Red Army into retreat, while soldiers conscripted from non-Russian parts of the USSR were becoming less reliable by the day, tired of Stalin’s oppressive government and ill-treatment of its citizens. Despite harsh winter weather, the Allied air forces had been bombing every known Soviet airfield west of Minsk ceaselessly, slowly but surely destroying the VVS’ ability to resist.

Patton’s forces had halted near Posen as the weather slowed movement to a crawl, but the general was set on getting the advance moving again as quickly as possible. At the first sign of dry ground in Poland, the US Army was back on the move. MacArthur tanks once again proved their worth defeating Bagramyan’s Wolves, while an overwhelming swarm of bombers smashed Soviet reinforcement units well behind the front line. Lodz and Krakow were taken, freeing millions of Poles from Soviet occupation, and when Warsaw was captured towards the end of March, President Ignacy Moscicki triumphantly declared that the Polish Republic had been restored, and a Polish Army was recruited from the liberated population.

While retaking Poland, Patton’s men found out that the ‘death camps’, discussed but never found in Germany, were true. Large factory-like complexes located in the middle of nowhere, along with evidence of mass graves, were found scattered across the region. Communist graffiti indicated that at some point after Hitler’s fall, Stalin had placed the camps under new management, while they continued their deadly business of murdering millions. Evacuated by the time the Americans arrived (with any survivors likely to have been shipped off to Siberia), the camps provided further proof of the need to win the war. But before Patton would have a chance to do that, he would have to negotiate the Molotov Line, a massive line of fortifications covering the length of the Soviet border, from Memel in the north to the Siret River in the south. It was here that the Red Army would make its stand.

Dash Past the Danube, April 1945

The surrender of Hungary had left Konev’s Southwestern Front exposed to a flanking attack through the Carpathian mountains in central Romania. While difficult to traverse in winter, by the spring Graziani was preparing to launch an attack through the passes believed to be least well defended, in the hope of encircling the bulk of the Southwestern Front in Romania and opening up the southern flank of the Molotov Line to invasion (while Patton attempted to smash his way through in the north).

Konev was thus forced into a difficult position, forced to defend either the Carpathian Passes or the north bank of the Danube while leaving the other exposed. The arrival of Spanish forces (now taking up positions in Slovakia) had shortened the amount of front that needed to be covered by Italians, while Allied bombing made reinforcement of Soviet forces west of the Molotov Line much more difficult.

Konev’s solution was to fall back to the line of the Ialomita River, which was a less effective natural obstacle than the Danube had been, but would shorten the front considerably and would remove a great salient in western Romania that Konev believed to be nearly indefensible. The retreat began well, conducted at night so that the Italians would be less likely to notice movement across the Danube. But when Graziani struck through the Carpathian mountains, the plan fell apart as Italian forces seized parts of the Ialomita before the Red Army got a chance to set up a line there. The lack of Soviet forces on the Danube was soon noticed as Italian divisions in the north reported resistance from units believed to be holding the river, and a crossing of the Danube was ordered. Konev’s retreat turned into a rout as the Soviet soldiers rushed towards the Molotov Line, leaving most of Romania, and 250,000 Soviet soldiers, in Allied hands.

The liberation of Romania would be a major blow to the USSR. Operating out of bases northeast of Bucharest, Allied bombers could now hit Soviet industry in the Ukraine with full force, while Leningrad was just as easily hit from bombers operating out of former East Prussia. Both industrial regions would soon be the targets of raids involving more than 2000 aircraft each on a regular basis, while plans were drawn up for the combined Allied invasion of the USSR.

- BNC

Looks like were closing in on the end. As for the invasion of Russia, I would bet that the Japanese would invade from (the soviet) east, while a massive allied army invades from the west. Then I'm going to assume it will fail, and atomic bombs will be used.

Looks like were closing in on the end. As for the invasion of Russia, I would bet that the Japanese would invade from (the soviet) east, while a massive allied army invades from the west. Then I'm going to assume it will fail, and atomic bombs will be used.

Yes, unless the Allies are in Moscow before December, I think General Winter will have a few things to say before the end.

Yes, unless the Allies are in Moscow before December, I think General Winter will have a few things to say before the end.
The OTL German-led invasion was garrisoning or fighting on at least three other fronts and had critical materials shortages plus the Soviets were essentially fighting a one-front war and being propped up with lend-lease kit and food supplies. Here the Allies and Japan are attacking the Soviets on two fronts and have no blockade stopping them from bringing in all the logistics that they can carry. Nor like the Nazis are they going to alienate the populations that they liberate. And a lot of Soviet Jews may not be a desperately committed to the struggle as OTL. This invasion will have access to the British and US textile industry for warm winter woolies and be well supplied with Spam and Argentinean corned beef

Status
Not open for further replies.