Sports What Ifs.

What happens to the USFL in the event of the 1982 NFL season being cancelled due to the strike? It probably does better, IMO, especially since many football fans are going to be missing football...

I am looking at Jeff Pearlman's book Football For a Buck on Google Books. In the beginning, Jeff wrote about the origins of David Dixon's idea.

In 1963, David Dixon met with Paul Brown. After a nine-hour meeting, Brown told him to never let anyone talk him out of his spring football idea. So, three years later, after he got commitments from several Fortune 500 heads that wanted a team (Kemmons Wilson, the founder of Holiday Inn, was one of them), his new league was about ready.

It was announced on June 25, 1966, and it would be called the United States Football League. Everything looked to be all systems go.

And then, the merger happened, and New Orleans was awarded the Saints. After that, none of the TV networks were interested, and the investors all pulled out.

So, if you can delay (at best) or completely avoid the NFL-AFL merger (at worst), could you get a more successful USFL at 1966 instead of seventeen years later?

* The Saints originally had the third pick in the 1982 draft, but they used it on Dave Wilson in the 1981 Supp draft. I have the Packers trading down with Seattle because they wanted defense, and the Seahawks wanted Curt Warner.

So, take away the decision of Dave Wilson in exchange for building a defense, and the Saints get Jim Kelly? I'll take it

So, if you can delay (at best) or completely avoid the NFL-AFL merger (at worst), could you get a more successful USFL at 1966 instead of seventeen years later?

It's possible. It seemed like Dixon got some good investors for his league. Sounds like it would have been way better than the WFL as well.

So, take away the decision of Dave Wilson in exchange for building a defense, and the Saints get Jim Kelly? I'll take it

The Saints still probably trade their 83 #1 pick, so they don't get Kelly. The Bills still do.

The Saints still probably trade their 83 #1 pick, so they don't get Kelly. The Bills still do.

Why would they? There is as easy of a switch for Philips to be convinced to not take George Allen or Dave Wilson and focus on defense with the ability to pick up Marcus Allen in the 1st or 2nd. Hell, with a cancelled season, they could take up Marino over Kelly, Kelly over Marino, or secure a first overall pick and go for Elway.

Why would they? There is as easy of a switch for Philips to be convinced to not take George Allen or Dave Wilson and focus on defense with the ability to pick up Marcus Allen in the 1st or 2nd. Hell, with a cancelled season, they could take up Marino over Kelly, Kelly over Marino, or secure a first overall pick and go for Elway.

They traded their 1983 #1 pick before the 1982 season (in June).

Here is a good one.

ITV wins the rights to the inaugural Premier League season in 1992, the live rights- it was ITV v Sky, I believe the deal ran for 3-4 years.

Butterflies there maybe big- would it be the global phenomenon it is today? I have my doubts...also Sky would have stalled majorly if not imploded.

And to my earlier point - if the Canton Bulldogs survived. Assuming most everything goes as it does, this means two things:

1. The idea of saving a team with shitty management or financial problems by doing a stock drive may make things different. One possibility - OTL after the Browns moved, Ohio passed a law that requires owners to try to sell locally before moving a team (this is why the Columbus Crew of MLS isn’t chilling in Austin, TX now.) Assuming the law is constitutional, and I don’t see a reason it wouldn’t be, might at least one state try something like that sooner (with the caveat of “local owner and/or stock drive” being part of the law. Incidentally, one of the first states to pass such a law may be Illinois since they were instrumental in how the Packers got their ownership structure.)

2. Assuming the teams that survived OTL survive TTL - plus the Bulldogs - it means that, when the Dallas Texans take a Texas-sizes shit in 1952, the NFLvis at an even dozen and doesn’t need to replace a team. That replacement team? The Baltimore Colts. This means one of two things - either the NFL expands sooner or Rosenbloom is out in the cold, meaning maybe he joins the Foolish Club.

And if it’s the latter, the likeliest City squeezes out is Oakland, since they weren’t as ready in 1960 as the other seven teams. It also means Al Davis may be waitin in the Wings to rescue the NY Titans if he’s deemed a better option, and if Davis wants to move them, New Orleans is a likely spot. Think about that - no Jets, no one in Oakland, we have a New Orleans Raiders, and the overwhelming rule seems to be: one city, one team (that is, unless Chicago saves the Cardinals via stock drive, which isn’t ASB but seems like a long shot.)

So where does the NFL go in 1967 if New Orleans isn’t an option? Seattle seems like the next city up. And if the NFL needs three teams to jump to the AFC, the Steelers and Browns can jump and take the Bulldogs with them. Easy peasy and they can be their own division with the Bengals. The Oilers would go to the West and the Raiders make more sense in the East as a natural rival to the Dolphins.

This likely also averts the franchise swap between Rosenbloom and Irsay, so Rosenbloom stays in Baltimore and Irsay, with no team sharing the Bay Area, gets LA to himself - and as much of a head case as Bob Irsay was, it’s hard to see him leaving LA in the 80s when the Coliseum is a way better option than anything Baltimore had. (Also, if California passes a Modell Rule, he’s probably SOL anyway since a shit-ton of celebrities will no doubt buy shares in the Rams if he tries anything. And if that’s the case, I’m probably a Rams fan since I could see my father buying a share or two of the Rams, as my father was a fan before the move to St. Louis and then proceeded to tell the NFL to piss off afterward.)

If Tampa Bay gets a team, the NFC East, with the Giants, Eagles, Redskins and probably Falcons, fits best. Then the AFC gets a team in, I dunno, Phoenix. One wrinkle - if the Cardinals move, Indy would then make more sense, and if the Browns then move, it would be to St. Louis, not Baltimore. So the replacement Browns come back in 1999, the Texans in 2002, and the NFL looks like this:

AFC East
Baltimore Colts
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots

AFC North
Canton Bulldogs
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South
Houston Texans
Jacksonville Jaguars
New Orleans Raiders
Tennessee Titans

AFC West
Arizona Firebirds
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers

NFC East
Indianapolis Cardinals
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins

NFC North
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings

NFC South
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
St. Louis Stallions
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
Dallas Cowboys
Los Angeles Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

True but how interesting is that? Would they merge with another league? Maybe a USFL merger if the USFL has its collective shit together? Maybe a 1966 USFL tries to make it?
we discussed that USFL could be the equivalent or the WFL(a team in hawaii would be interesting), that would come later, besides the cards being stuck in the cotton bowl till a AT&T/State farm equivalent is build would be funny, or would the cardinals get a fully done Texas stadium?

we discussed that USFL could be the equivalent or the WFL(a team in hawaii would be interesting), that would come later, besides the cards being stuck in the cotton bowl till a AT&T/State farm equivalent is build would be funny, or would the cardinals get a fully done Texas stadium?

Probably the Cotton Bowl for a while and then a stadium like Texas Stadium. After that, maybe a Jerry-world equivalent if the Dallas Cardinals are that popular.

Also, if the AFL never comes to fruition and the WFL doesn’t get its shit together, the obvious merger is the USFL and it happens in the early 90s and is monumentous. I picture an NFL with 20 teams because sooner or later they’ll get up there - I picture the entire current NFC minus AZ and Carolina, add the Browns, Steelers and Colts, add the Dolphins and Bengals, and for good measure add a team in San Diego.

Then we add USFL teams. Later. I’m tired.

the early 90s and is monumentous
specially how tv market will be, with smaller NFL that will be growing, if there a stike equivalent and the USFL capitalize it would be enormous, not even strike. If ESPN support the USFL would be enought give exposure and synergy...maybe turner got a USFL franchise and use tbs for that advantage? there a lot of options.

WFL doesn’t get its shit together
a shame, they got several otl market plus the idea of an hawaian NFL franchise would be something if survive and merge

Question if canton team survives why the bengals? ohio would have three times just in time when their population start to decline... maybe not give paul brown the second new york team or a franchise elsewhere?

People in Cincinnati are still a few hours’ drive away from Canton or Cleveland. I’m from Ohio - Cincy doesn’t have much in common with northern Ohio. It makes about as much sense as denying the Twin Cities a team because the Bears and Packers are a thing or blocking Art Modell from moving the Browns to Baltimore because they’re in DC and Carolina’s backyard.

People in Cincinnati are still a few hours’ drive away from Canton or Cleveland. I’m from Ohio - Cincy doesn’t have much in common with northern Ohio. It makes about as much sense as denying the Twin Cities a team because the Bears and Packers are a thing or blocking Art Modell from moving the Browns to Baltimore because they’re in DC and Carolina’s backyard.
IIRC Cooke was not happy with ravens but again you lived there so might knew better about that so bengals might exist like OTL

IIRC Cooke was not happy with ravens but again you lived there so might knew better about that so bengals might exist like OTL

Yeah, they would kick up a fuss, but Canton isn’t much different from Cleveland so it wouldn’t end up making a whole heap of difference. Frankly the Bulldogs would be more likely to be upset about the Cleveland Browns (or Rams as it was) than for them to be too cheesed off about an AFL franchise.

What is the ceiling for the WFL? Assuming it’s to force a merger with the NFL, how many teams and rules can it get ported over to the NFL and when?
Would be, OTL they were to take advantage of the Strike threat and thrive, the thing is almost all rules were adopted by the NFL, the most Unique was college one foot rule and canadian motion ( ie unlimited backfield move and no fair catches)

The most Unique thing was the Hawaii team and the pants

Would be, OTL they were to take advantage of the Strike threat and thrive, the thing is almost all rules were adopted by the NFL, the most Unique was college one foot rule and canadian motion ( ie unlimited backfield move and no fair catches)

The most Unique thing was the Hawaii team and the pants

If it could get its finances in order, the WFL’s realistic best outcome is a merger like the ABA or WHA - four teams. The Hawaiians are an obvious choice (though I imagine they have to change their name.) Same with Memphis and Jacksonville, and after that...Portland?