Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline)

How is the timeline so far?

• It's good

Votes: 198 64.5%
  • It's ok

Votes: 62 20.2%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's really bad

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • It's gone to the Alien Space Bats

Votes: 42 13.7%

• Total voters

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Oh, and before I forget, here's the flag of the Hungarian Republic.

hr.png

Clean and simple. Don't get too attached though, the Republic isn't long for this world. You might even say that the Death of a (Hungarian) Republic is coming soon.

I just thought of something, but what if one of the breakaway states was a democratic constitutional monarchy to contrast with America's intermittently authoritarian government? Like if somewhere along the line a Robespierre or Cromwell arose (Roosevelt?) and drove at least a branch of the Lafayette Dynasty into exile.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
I just thought of something, but what if one of the breakaway states was a democratic constitutional monarchy to contrast with America's intermittently authoritarian government? Like if somewhere along the line a Robespierre or Cromwell arose (Roosevelt?) and drove at least a branch of the Lafayette Dynasty into exile.
I wasn't sure the direction I was going to take with Guyana.

Until now

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
So (French?) Guyana is going to be America's Brazil? Does that mean that the Americans are going to buy it sometime before the Lafayette Dynasty is forced into exile?

Guyana sans Cayenne gets transferred to Prince Gilbert to make up for the French government accidentally seizing his lands and estate back in France. I referenced it in an update where I clarified a bit about America's early political situation. It's not so much a Brazil though as it is what New Zealand was IOTL, just kinda there with nobody really noticing or caring much about it.

Guyana sans Cayenne gets transferred to Prince Gilbert to make up for the French government accidentally seizing his lands and estate back in France. I referenced it in an update where I clarified a bit about America's early political situation. It's not so much a Brazil though as it is what New Zealand was IOTL, just kinda there with nobody really noticing or caring much about it.

So it becomes a constitutional monarchy with a “Governor General” serving as the representative of a monarch whose government forgot they even existed? This neglect ironically gives them the freedom to form whatever government they want. Autonomy via apathy.

I suppose Guiana-sans-Cayenne's capital is at modern Kourou or somewhere around it? Seems like its main population would be soldiers for now, at least until the US starts using exile of political prisoners as a means of settling the peripheries.

So I'm gonna make some predictions for what will happen in the Austrian Empire:
The Austrian Army kills/sends into exile the Monarch or the Emperor takes their side and they become a Revolutionary Empire/proto-Fascist state
They then turn around and crush the Hungarian Republic, the Republic then becomes a symbol for Hungarian nationalists
The Austrians levee en masse and proceed to drive away the invaders
The Austrian state dies a bunch of Napoleon type stuff, before eventually being defeated by a coalition
A new ideology based on whatever type of that Austria becomes is spread and emulated by other revolutionaries.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
So it becomes a constitutional monarchy with a “Governor General” serving as the representative of a monarch whose government forgot they even existed? This neglect ironically gives them the freedom to form whatever government they want. Autonomy via apathy.

This will be the status quo for a while, but the neglect probably wouldn't benefit Guiana as much as it might other territories, Guiana's population is so low and the territory so hostile that the neglect stalls development until the government sets out to conquer the Enfer Vert once and for all.

I suppose Guiana-sans-Cayenne's capital is at modern Kourou or somewhere around it? Seems like its main population would be soldiers for now, at least until the US starts using exile of political prisoners as a means of settling the peripheries.

The de jure capital would likely be Kourou or Sinnamary which are the only two settlements that would exist at the time that are of any relevance.

But on a slightly dark note, the settling of prisoners in Guiana would be a brutal way to populate the territory, but it could be effective, and even tie into the development of National Corporatism ITTL. A wrong idea on race that was common during this time period IOTL was that each race was adapted to a certain climate, so as Nat. Corporatist ideas begin to become widespread, people who are arrested could be deported to prison colonies meant for the "wrong" climate for their race as a method of punishment. It's horrible and would need more development, but it would fit with my plans for the Roosevelt dictatorship.

And then he married the Empess of Brazil, and the house of Lafayette ruled in peace and justice forever :relievedface:

A personal union between Brazil and the American Empire in Guiana would be amazing. Such an entity would directly rule 1/5th of the American continent, and ITTL claim over half of the entire continent.

Sadly, Brazil probably won't exist ITTL.

So I'm gonna make some predictions for what will happen in the Austrian Empire:
The Austrian Army kills/sends into exile the Monarch or the Emperor takes their side and they become a Revolutionary Empire/proto-Fascist state
They then turn around and crush the Hungarian Republic, the Republic then becomes a symbol for Hungarian nationalists
The Austrians levee en masse and proceed to drive away the invaders
The Austrian state dies a bunch of Napoleon type stuff, before eventually being defeated by a coalition
A new ideology based on whatever type of that Austria becomes is spread and emulated by other revolutionaries.

I won't say what you got right, except that Austria will be defeated in a coalition. The Austrian Revolution isn't meant to be a direct translation of OTL's French Revolution, but defeat by a coalition as France was will happen. One of the differences will force a coalition to batter the Revolution into submission, although practically every power will be fighting for a different reason.

people who are arrested could be deported to prison colonies meant for the "wrong" climate for their race as a method of punishment.

And having such a wide array of climactic zones to deport people to and from would itself be a resounding statement on American power.

I like this idea. It also feels very antique, with older empires' practice of settling minorities among majorities as a way of controlling both.

Last edited:

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
And having such a wide array of climactic zones to deport people to and from would itself be a resounding statement on American power.

I like this idea. It also feels very antique, with older empires' practice of settling minorities among majorities as a way of controlling both.

Oh good God, that's just such a horrifying element of this that hadn't even turned over in my mind until you said that. Some nations show their greatness by building monuments or pursuing cultural and technological developments. America ITTL does it by forced ethnic rearrangement like it's organizing a bookshelf.

Oh good God, that's just such a horrifying element of this that hadn't even turned over in my mind until you said that. Some nations show their greatness by building monuments or pursuing cultural and technological developments. America ITTL does it by forced ethnic rearrangement like it's organizing a bookshelf.
America- should i sort by color or language

In all seriousness that idea is terrifing

Sennacherib, Tilgath-Pileser III and Sargon II approve of this message.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Sennacherib, Tilgath-Pileser III and Sargon II approve of this message.

So, after seeing this, I was thinking that during Roosevelt's time, an alternative racial "theory" akin to Anglo-Israelism could emerge, equating the British/Germans and Assyrians.

As it turns out though, Anglo-Israelism already equates Assyrians and Germans. I think this just goes to show how OTL can be significantly more wack than it appears at times.

So, after seeing this, I was thinking that during Roosevelt's time, an alternative racial "theory" akin to Anglo-Israelism could emerge, equating the British/Germans and Assyrians.

As it turns out though, Anglo-Israelism already equates Assyrians and Germans. I think this just goes to show how OTL can be significantly more wack than it appears at times.

I could see America forcing Nordic people to sweat in the Southwest and forcing free blacks to freeze in OTL Minnesota.

The idea of the hypothetical breakaway state in the OTL Arizona/New Mexico area having a Nordic Cross for the flag is just too weird not to be interesting. It'd be like a reverse-Texas. Reverse in that it's America that they're fighting against instead of Mexico.

The idea of the hypothetical breakaway state in the OTL Arizona/New Mexico area having a Nordic Cross for the flag is just too weird not to be interesting. It'd be like a reverse-Texas. Reverse in that it's America that they're fighting against instead of Mexico.

Norwegian-Navajo Commonwealth?

Last edited:

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
I could see America forcing Nordic people to sweat in the Southwest and forcing free blacks to freeze in OTL Minnesota.

Well somewhere north will be a region for prisoners who are of "warm-climate races," the Southwest probably won't be a large center for deported peoples. The region's mineral wealth is too valuable to be full of large numbers of potentially hostile peoples, and its more direct land connection to the rest of the Empire would make it harder to guarantee that people who are deported there will stay. Some might be sent as functional slaves for mining, likely enough to leave a regional impact so there could be Nordic crosses on regional flags, but not in large enough numbers to create a long-term sustainable state.

Although I do think I will include this and a small breakaway state, but something I haven't directly referenced will swallow up the breakaway state.

This timeline is already pretty weird, so I want to see what weird things can be in it without stretching plausibility too much.

That's what I'm generally trying to go for, one of the things that disappoints me the most in alternate timelines is when things stay too boring because OTL is insanely interesting.

Well somewhere north will be a region for prisoners who are of "warm-climate races," the Southwest probably won't be a large center for deported peoples. The region's mineral wealth is too valuable to be full of large numbers of potentially hostile peoples, and its more direct land connection to the rest of the Empire would make it harder to guarantee that people who are deported there will stay. Some might be sent as functional slaves for mining, likely enough to leave a regional impact so there could be Nordic crosses on regional flags, but not in large enough numbers to create a long-term sustainable state.

Although I do think I will include this and a small breakaway state, but something I haven't directly referenced will swallow up the breakaway state.

That's what I'm generally trying to go for, one of the things that disappoints me the most in alternate timelines is when things stay too boring because OTL is insanely interesting.

So free Blacks, as well as people from Mediterranean nations, would end up somewhere around OTL Minnesota? It might be interesting if prisoners n these "penal regions" adopt a "we're all in this together mentality" regarding their situation. I can also see them looking at Chinese people and scratching their heads regarding which climate region they adapted to since China isn't one of those countries that can be neatly sorted into any one climate category.

The American West is going to be much weirder than OTL ethnically speaking.

Some people think that an alternate history timeline needs to make sense at all times or else it should be given a big ol' ASB stamp. Human beings, as emotional creatures, don't make rational decisions 100%. I am absolutely certain that in most timelines on this site our timeline would likely be decried as ASB for all the batshit stuff that happened. The rise of Adolf Hitler, for example, would be considered absolutely insane in most alternate timelines. People are so keen to keep every detail nice an neat that they fail to include the kind of "Ripley's Believe or Not" worthy tidbits that can be found everywhere in OTL.

I'm waiting with bated breath for the next chapter of this wonderfully insane timeline.