Large scale conversion to Islam in South Korea

Anyway you could a large amount of conversion to Islam in South Korea like a smaller version of what happened with Christianity in South Korea .

What would be the impact of this

I mean the question would be how would Islam get a foothold in south korea post 1900. Missionaries have been visiting for centuries and Christianity served as a point of nationalism during after Japanese occupation. Combine this with heavy US influence over South Korea in the following years, Islam has little room to take off to the extent of Christianity.

I mean the question would be how would Islam get a foothold in south korea post 1900. Missionaries have been visiting for centuries and Christianity served as a point of nationalism during after Japanese occupation. Combine this with heavy US influence over South Korea in the following years, Islam has little room to take off to the extent of Christianity.

Indeed. Plus, one of the things I've heard from Koreans(not all of them Christian) to account for the prestige of Christianity in Korea is that the missionaries and churches generally treated women better than the old-school Confucians did. I don't think Islam is going to have that as much of a selling-point.

As far as I can tell, Islam in the modern/postmodern era hasn't had much success with full-scale conversions(ie. someone with no previous involvement with Islam joining the fold) in industrialized and democratic countries, or even countries in a transitionary phase(such as South Korea leading up to the late 1980s). So, there really aren't any models to go by, in determining how that could happen in Korea, or what the results would be.

Another thing, and this is more speculation on my part, but I think that Islam, moreso than Xtianity, might clash with the hardcore nationalism that was promoted in Korea during the post-colonial years. It's true that a lot of the Christians here are evangelical, along the lines of Billy Graham, and there have ongoing incidences involving vandalism of Buddhas and other heathenish icons, but the general sense of national collectivity probably prevents most of them from, for example, publically disparaging the Korean flag because it includes the Tao Symbol and the I Ching, or telling everyone that King Sejong is burning in hell because he never embraced Jesus.

I'm not sure if Islam, during the period under discussion, would be as lackidaisical about that sort of thing. And if they start on with stuff like "Remove all statues of Dangun from public property or it's an insult to the Prophet!!", it's quickly gonna alienate public opinion.

Has there ever been a large scale conversion of any nation in the Twentieth Century?

To Islam? Not that I’m aware of. In the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, most conversions in non-Islamic countries have been on the individual scale - sometimes through study and decision, sometimes through marriage.

Maybe ottomans send islamic missionaries in late 19th century, leading to Islam serving similar role during japanese occupation?

That could end up being somewhat politically awkward, because, if Korea gets annexed the same as IOTL, within a few short years, Japan is gonna be at war with the Ottomans.

OTL there was a quite a bit of tension the foreign-missionaries, many of them American or American-backed, and the native-born converts, many of whom were anti-Japanese, because it was Teddy Roosevelt who had negotiated the Treaty Of Portsmouth, which more-or-less paved the way for annexatiion. I don't know all the details, but things got rather complicated for a while.

But in a situation where there are Ottoman missionaries in a Japanese colony, it's gonna get pretty hairy for them once World War I breaks out.

Unless Churchill doesn't screw up with the warship deal and successfully sides Ottomans with the entente.

Yeah, I don't know much about World War I, but if you've got Ottoman missionaries in Korea, AND an Ottoman-Japan alliance, that could have potential.

But how would Muslim missionaries and their Korean converts react to stuff like mandatory Shintoism, which was one of the big outrages pushing Christians into the anti-Japanese camp?

(EDITED TO REMOVE MISUNDERSTANDING ABOUT ATL ENTENTE; OTTOMANS AND JAPAN WOULD BOTH BE WITH THE WEST)

There is Guinee-Bissau

And that was recently.

That was common in a lot of European colonised Africa, since Islamic groups already existed there and accepting them was less likely to cause problems compared to Christian proselytism (which was also accepted, of course), so this led to a spread of Islam under European rule, mostly to "animist" groups.