Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline)

How is the timeline so far?

• It's good

Votes: 198 64.9%
  • It's ok

Votes: 61 20.0%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's really bad

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • It's gone to the Alien Space Bats

Votes: 41 13.4%

• Total voters
1813-uniforms-US-Army-x-Ogden_lrg.jpg

Is this what the American royalist army looks like? Also what’s the official name of the American army?

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Yeah but you said "all institutions will be subservient to the state " earlier, is that supposed to be an "interim" stage of Hopswoodism or the end-goal?
That point from the Regulator Manifesto is (for lack of a better term) out of date to Hopswood's redevelopment of the ideology during his travels in Europe. It changes from "All institutions are subservient to the state, which will be subservient to the people" to "All institutions are subservient to the people" when Hopswood "perfects" his ideology. I know it's a bit convoluted, when Hopswoodisn comes back to importance I'll explain more of the ideology's development and changes, although the ideology itself is going to be a bit off-beat as a reflection of Hopswood not being the best educated or even very well read. He's a good writer and an idealist but not much more.

Is this what the American royalist army looks like? Also what’s the official name of the American army?

The royalist army would use a uniform similar to that, but IIRC that's a later uniform of the USA. A closer uniform would be the ones in this painting which is a painting of OTL Legion of the United States:

The_American_Soldier_1794_-_U.S._Center_of_Military_History.jpg

Particularly important is the hat. The hat's brim has colored cloth meant to indicate which sub-Legion the soldier is from.

And the army is officially the Legion of the United States, the same as OTL's first re-organization of the Continental Army.

I can't remember if I actually referenced it, but he's in Corsica, and he will be important as the Emperor of Corsica a founding figure of the rise of Nationalism.

There's only one kind of nationalism "Napoleone" could be inventing...

REMOVE REPUBLIK-SCHNITZEL FROM N O V A R O M A

Unless, of course, one rocky isle is enough to satisfy him TTL.

Last edited:

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Merry Christmas everyone! I've been a bit busy, so the proper update is delayed, but instead I've got a short Christmas special as it were.

Excerpt from The Diary of Francois-Xavier Joliclerc

...Throughout my time in the Hospital, every room was flooded by the sweet smell of Death. Men, wounded by the Vendeans, moaned and cried out in their anguish. My wound became diseased and my body grew frail and my mind fevered. Days passed, hazed tangles of fevered dreams and agonising wakefulness. On Christmas Day, I, still suffering, floated just above the threshold of sleep when a figure entered the room. It seemed to be of a towering height but dreadfully slender and with the figure a miasma clung so thick it cut above the reek of the dead. It seemed slick and vapour rose from its body. But, the figure's most horrible feature was its face. Blood-red eyes roved aboved a mouth distorted, gaping and full of stained teeth.

The figure stooped by the bed next to me, grabbed the bloodletting pan and drank from it. I tried to scream, but my voice failed and all that emerged were panicked breaths. It then turned towards me, blood dripping from its wide mouth, and I attempted to rise and flee but the thing reached out with long hand and pushed me back. The figure broke the silence:

"No need to wake anyone" it said before slinking off and out of the room.

After a few moments, I began crying and weeping, calling out to God before falling into a restless sleep. When my fever broke and the clouds departed from my mind, I learned what I had seen was not a demon of my fevered mind but another sick man, Tarrare. Tarrare was perpetually driven by an unrelenting hunger and while his appearance was frightful, he didn't mean harm by his actions....

Last edited:

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Fucking Tarrare. Absolute creepy bastard normally, but this is a whole nother level of horror.

I'm always surprised there aren't more stories about Tarrare in timelines from this era TBH. It takes only a little exaggeration to make him seem like the Rake or some other creepypasta monster.

Last edited:

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hey everyone! I'm not quite finished with the next update, but seeing as I haven't posted anything since last year, I decided to give a sneak peak on the upcoming update with a flag and a small Wikipedia infobox. Well, I say Wikipedia infobox, but seeing as I've already mentioned TTL's Wikipedia equivalent, Peopedia, I tried to mock up how I imagine their infoboxes would look instead. It's not much different, just a color change really, but if everyone is fine with it, any future infobox will be done in the same style. I've included a future spoiler as well that spoils things on everyone's favorite Republican that is a bit bigger to show more of the alternative coloration, but it does spoil a few more details on America's future.

Anywho, let's role with the stuff shall we?

Magyarország még nem veszett el!

Fernec.PNG

Hungarian Kingdom 1790.png

Lincoln.png

Hey everyone! I'm not quite finished with the next update, but seeing as I haven't posted anything since last year, I decided to give a sneak peak on the upcoming update with a flag and a small Wikipedia infobox. Well, I say Wikipedia infobox, but seeing as I've already mentioned TTL's Wikipedia equivalent, Peopedia, I tried to mock up how I imagine their infoboxes would look instead. It's not much different, just a color change really, but if everyone is fine with it, any future infobox will be done in the same style. I've included a future spoiler as well that spoils things on everyone's favorite Republican that is a bit bigger to show more of the alternative coloration, but it does spoil a few more details on America's future.

Anywho, let's role with the stuff shall we?

Magyarország még nem veszett el!

View attachment 430601

View attachment 430599

So much to unpack with this update.
  1. Why is Honest Abe in two seemingly separate head of state roles at the same time?
  2. Was the Republic of Liberty abolished following his term or just the President's position?
  3. Is the Confederation of American Republics another breakaway state or is it one of the incarnations that America will be going through over the next two centuries?
  4. Was it reabsorbed by America if it was a breakaway state?
  5. Where is Lincoln's body? Was it stolen and that is why they don't know where he rests?
  6. Do any of his children have any prominence? More of his children surviving make it more likely that a Lincoln political dynasty like the Kennedys would form.
  7. You misspelled "Thomas Lincoln".

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Why is Honest Abe in two seemingly separate head of state roles at the same time?

Not to give everything away, but the Presidential Council is a council of Presidents of the CAR's component republics, of which the Republic of Liberty is one.

Was the Republic of Liberty abolished following his term or just the President's position?

It is abolished, just as OTL's CSA was.

Is the Confederation of American Republics another breakaway state or is it one of the incarnations that America will be going through over the next two centuries?

It's a rival government claiming to be the legitimate government of the USA.

Where is Lincoln's body? Was it stolen and that is why they don't know where he rests?

All my info on Lincoln is from the documentary Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer. ITTL, instead of being victorious over the vampires, Lincoln gets turned into a vampire and explodes into dust when Zombie Emperor Gilbert drags him into the sunlight

It sits on a golden throne, commanding the Republicans from the Warp

After being dead for three days, Lincoln's body walks out of his tomb before being dragged to hell like all other Republicans ITTL.

Lincoln is actually Look to the West's Jean de Lisieux and disappears just like he did in LTTW.

Nobody knows. It just ain't where we left it.

Do any of his children have any prominence? More of his children surviving make it more likely that a Lincoln political dynasty like the Kennedys would form.

They will have prominence amongst Republican circles, but Lincoln isn't well remembered.

You misspelled "Thomas Lincoln".
flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

How.

HOW DO I DO THESE THINGS.

I COPY AND PASTED THAT!

Not to give everything away, but the Presidential Council is a council of Presidents of the CAR's component republics, of which the Republic of Liberty is one.

It is abolished, just as OTL's CSA was.

It's a rival government claiming to be the legitimate government of the USA.

I'll be looking forward to reading about the CAR. I especially love how TTL's American history will evidently continue on being the glorious mess it is.

All my info on Lincoln is from the documentary Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer. ITTL, instead of being victorious over the vampires, Lincoln gets turned into a vampire and explodes into dust when Zombie Emperor Gilbert drags him into the sunlight

It sits on a golden throne, commanding the Republicans from the Warp

After being dead for three days, Lincoln's body walks out of his tomb before being dragged to hell like all other Republicans ITTL.

Lincoln is actually Look to the West's Jean de Lixieux and disappears just like he did in LTTW.

Nobody knows. It just ain't where we left it.

It'd be one of those big American mysteries ITTL. Nobody really bothers imagining mysteries or conspiracies for their alternate timeline. They add flavor to the story.

They will have prominence amongst Republican circles, but Lincoln isn't well remembered.

He got a longer life in exchange for being otherwise forgettable.

flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

How.

HOW DO I DO THESE THINGS.

I COPY AND PASTED THAT!

Sh*t happens. Don't beat yourself up about a silly typo.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Did the server go down for anyone else, or was that just me?

It'd be one of those big American mysteries ITTL. Nobody really bothers imagining mysteries or conspiracies for their alternate timeline. They add flavor to the story.

I work with a guy who believes every conspiracy known to mankind. Flat Earth? Yep. Freemasons/Illuminati control everything? Of course. The Jews did the Holocaust? Obviously. That's where I got my idea for the Red Crosses believing black slaves are working the the planters to ruin America. Just talking to him gives me all kinds of ideas for alt-conspiracies, especially when he asks me about how these things go in my timeline. So there will definitely be the odd conspiracy theory popping up, especially considering Americans love conspiracy theories. E.G: The Regulator who shot Washington was actually an agent of the Pope, meant to set the stage for a Catholic monarch coming to power in the USA so as to destroy Christian Civilization. And, of course, the actual masters of the country are the New Legion who, after retreating into the Northwest territory, set secret agents to control elections and the

He got a longer life in exchange for being otherwise forgettable.

Not so much forgettable as being akin to what Hopswood is. The Republican villain that haunts the Empire and threatens to spread chaos.

Did the server go down for anyone else, or was that just me?

I work with a guy who believes every conspiracy known to mankind. Flat Earth? Yep. Freemasons/Illuminati control everything? Of course. The Jews did the Holocaust? Obviously. That's where I got my idea for the Red Crosses believing black slaves are working the the planters to ruin America. Just talking to him gives me all kinds of ideas for alt-conspiracies, especially when he asks me about how these things go in my timeline. So there will definitely be the odd conspiracy theory popping up, especially considering Americans love conspiracy theories. E.G: The Regulator who shot Washington was actually an agent of the Pope, meant to set the stage for a Catholic monarch coming to power in the USA so as to destroy Christian Civilization. And, of course, the actual masters of the country are the New Legion who, after retreating into the Northwest territory, set secret agents to control elections and the

Not so much forgettable as being akin to what Hopswood is. The Republican villain that haunts the Empire and threatens to spread chaos.

Dumb or crazy people believing crazy stuff is a multiversal constant. The Law of Conspiracies is that the more people deny it the more a certain kind of people believe it.

Villainized in the US and idolized in the various republics dotting the continent?

This Confederation sounds like CSA-meets-the-United-Arab-Emirates, what with Lincoln's leadership role being (at least theoretically) a "first among equals" deal where the "equals" are executives from other parts of the federation. I'm guessing the designers of the Confederation wouldn't want their executive-council to hold complete sovereignty over the parts, though. Maybe the European Commission is a better analogue?

Last edited:

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Villainized in the US and idolized in the various republics dotting the continent?

Villainized in the USA definitely, but his legacy in the breakaway republics will be mixed. While I don't want to talk too much about the breakaway states, many won't receive Lincoln as well due certain groups co-opting his legacy.

This Confederation sounds like CSA-meets-the-United-Arab-Emirates, what with Lincoln's leadership role being (at least theoretically) a "first among equals" deal where the "equals" are executives from other parts of the federation. I'm guessing the designers of the Confederation wouldn't want their executive-council to hold complete sovereignty over the parts, though. Maybe the European Commission is a better analogue?

The UAE/CSA hybrid is a really good analogy for the CAR. I won't say much more, but the CAR has a very limited federal government, largely due to the ideological development of American Republicanism.

And the what?

Your query for further information on this topic has been reported to the New Legion. Please report to the nearest Legion office immediately for processing.

Oh no! THEY GOT HIM!

The site actually had a hiccup right when I was writing that so I must be on to their plans for world dom

The Republican villain that haunts the Empire and threatens to spread chaos.
Down with Republic! Up with the Crown!

My advise, authour, when i playing as Federal Kingdom of American in Hoi4, i always pock mix-up the tech tree with this combination; monarchist, meritocrasy, and youth camp. An ideal version of monarchy US.

On other note, will Malays state gains independence, or somehow US success "inspired" them? Thats one way to piss the Brits as well as have 'ally' on important sea trade route.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Down with Republic! Up with the Crown!

My advise, authour, when i playing as Federal Kingdom of American in Hoi4, i always pock mix-up the tech tree with this combination; monarchist, meritocrasy, and youth camp. An ideal version of monarchy US.

On other note, will Malays state gains independence, or somehow US success "inspired" them? Thats one way to piss the Brits as well as have 'ally' on important sea trade route.

While I do like the idea of a monarchist, meritocratic and ideal USA, this isn't the USA's fate ITTL. Out of curiosity, what HOI4 mod has a monarchist USA? I'm still tinkering with the idea of a Death of a Republic mod, so it would be cool to check out another monarchist USA mod.

A youth organization though. That could be
Roosevelt Youth.PNG

The Malay states are dominated by the Dutch (or native powers, imperialism hasn't imperialized that much yet) still ATM, but a future America will have an interest in the region.

Anywho everyone, sorry for the long wait again. Life keeps making a mockery of my plans to write, so instead of making a promise and letting failing to deliver, I won't promise anything except that this will continue when it does.

Also, while I should probably resume the story of Florida, or the main focus, the USA, here's instead the last bit before the Austrian Revolution.

Last edited:
Hungary for a Republic

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
"Ich diene meinen Soldaten"
--Johann Freiherr von Hiller

The end of 1789 saw the Austrian situation in the Great Dutch War improve slightly. While Austria and the Dutch Republic experienced setbacks in the Netherlands, Austria had managed to throw the Prussians back out of Bohemia and go on the offensive into Silesia. However, on December 14th, 1789, Poland-Lithuania declared war on Austria. This, in and of itself wasn’t a immediate threat for Austria as the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was practically crippled governmentally and would require time to move against Austria. But, the Commonwealth declaration of war was only a shadow of the beating that was about to descend upon Austria as when the 16,000 strong Polish army marched over the border into Galicia and Lodomeria on March 16th, 1790, they were accompanied by 71,000 Russian soldiers.

While the Austrian army numbered roughly 280,000 in March, 1790, nearly the entire army was bottled up in fighting the Prussians in Silesia, the Venetians in Istria or stamping out rebellions in the western Holy Roman Empire. The defenses in Galicia numbered only 8,000, leaving the Austrians outnumbered over ten to one. The city of Bels fell on the 21st, and from here the Polish and Russian forces split. The Polish army went east towards Lwow, encountering little resistance except for the Austrian forces in the city itself. On April 17th, Lwow fell and with it six thousand of Austria’s eight thousand in Galicia were eliminated. The Russians on the other hand proceeded south towards Hungary. Premissel fell to the Russians on April 21st and Sanok on May 12th. Within two months, Galicia fell to the Russo-Polish assault. All that held between the Russo-Polish forces and the difficult to defend Danube plains of Hungary were the Carpathian Mountains. With the mountain passes defended by local Hungarian soldiers and the Austrian garrisons, the Carpathians were easily defended. This led to a feeling of complacency in Vienna. After all, the passes could be held for years with the forces already in place, so Austria’s attention could be focused on closer enemies, especially Prussia who’s long border with Poland meant that knocking the Prussians out immediately was the only way to keep Russia from invading Austria through Silesia as well. But, if the Carpathians were breached, the Russian army could descend like a dagger, straight into the center of Hungary and fall upon the Kingdom’s heard: Buda.

Austria’s seeming inaction caused tensions to boil across the Kingdom of Hungary as fear of Russian invasion mingled with resentment from Emperor-King Joseph’s reforms. Rumours spread fast. Whispers told that the Russians had found a secret pass across the mountains. A traveler from the town over claimed the Austrian army intended to hold the Carpathians only long enough to cart off the year’s harvest in order to starve the Russian army. Men spoke of how the garrison had turned traitor and the Russians were three - no two days from Buda! Their wives gossiped about Joseph converting to orthodoxy and selling Hungary to Russia! The fear of the Hungarian people was palpable in the air as time’s turn seemingly ground slower each day that no action was taken by their King, their Protector, Joseph.

Riots in the streets of Buda on May 25th were put down by loyal Hungarian soldiers. Two days later in Pressburg however, the Hungarian soldiers lost their nerve when ordered to put down riots in that city. In Pest, soldiers joined the mob. On May 29th, an attempt by the authorities in Buda to restore order in Pest led to disaster. Ignác Martinovics commanded a ragtag assortment of militia-rioters, along with many of the defecting soldiers, to defeat the Budian forces. Furthermore, the transport boats used by the Budian forces were seized by the Martinovics’ Pest forces and late into the evening of the 29th, the Pest forces crossed the Danube and attacked the depleted Buda garrison. Buda would fall to the slowly organizing mob, scattering even more of Hungary’s administration across the Kingdom.

In Székesfehérvár, Ferenc Kazinczy, former Inspector of Education for much of the Kingdom of Hungary’s north, along with several dozen former members of the Hungarian administration from across the Kingdom assembled a new Hungarian Diet. While the Diet had been banned by Emperor Joseph, the new Diet justified its formation as an emergency government. Kazinczy was sworn as the President of the Diet on June 10th and acted swiftly to stabilize the situation, calling out militias, soldiers and “any man loyal to the Crown of Saint Stephen” to assist with restoring order to Hungary. While the terms could be played by the Diet as simply being a minor poetic flourish, to many Hungarians the reference to the crown was far more important. Emperor-King Joseph II had refused to be crowned with the Hungarian royal crown, the Crown of Saint Stephen, one of the many slights Joseph had committed towards Hungary. Kazinczy’s choice of words spoke to Hungarians who were angered by Joseph’s reforms, presenting the new Diet as being a government of Hungarians and not one which would answer to the whims of Vienna without actually being overtly disloyal to Emperor-King Joseph.

Kazinczy and the Diet would find themselves challenged for Hungary on the 12th as Ignác Martinovics and an assembly of Budian and Pest rioters styling themselves as the “National Assembly of the People of Hungary” issued the Hungarian Declaration of Independence with Martinovics as the Republic’s Director. Modeled off of the American Declaration of Independence, the Declaration proclaimed a sovereign Hungarian Republic. It was a bold statement from a government which, at the time, was little more than a rioting mob that controlled two cities. However, the promise of a Hungary free from the “reforms” of Joseph was alluring to many. The mob which had taken over Pressburg pledged allegiance to the Republic on the 16th and in the weeks to come Hungary was divided between Kazinczy’s government finding control in the west and south, and those that claimed loyalty to Martinovics’ government taking power in the north and center of Hungary.

Vienna reacted swiftly. On June 8th, the President of the Hofkriegsrat (Austrian Ministry of War), Count Andreas Hadik von Futak, ordered the army in Silesia, numbering 175,000 to be split in half with half to be transferred to Hungary with the remainder to take defensive positions in Silesia.

These orders were the last straw for many of the common soldiers. Before the campaign in Silesia, when the war took place on Habsburg territory, looting was generally forbidden and the Austrian Army had suffered shortages of food and supplies. Furthermore, since mid-1788, food shortages had emerged across northern Austria and Bohemia, further increasing the difficulty in supplying the army. The lack of food and other supplies had led to disease running rampant in the Austrian camps, killing thousands and leaving tens of thousands suffering. It was for this reason the term Kartoffelkrieg had been used to describe the war against Prussia; the biggest enemy for Austrian soldiers wasn’t the Prussian army, it was a lack of foodstuffs. But the campaign in Silesia had allowed the Habsburg army to pillage foodstuffs from the local population, making the situation manageable for the Austrian army. Other issues existed as well. Payments were delayed or incomplete, many soldiers’ uniforms were worn and tattered as replacements seemingly never came. Many soldiers wore looted articles from Prussian uniforms and a number had been shot by their own comrades, mistaken for the enemy.

Upon receiving the orders, Lieutenant Colonel Johann Freiherr von Hiller and a cabal of other officers turned on their commanders. Blaming the mistreatment of the soldiers on the “incompetence” of the higher officers and the government in Vienna, and refusing to cooperate with an order that would “doom these soldiers to starvation,” von Hiller and his supporters launched their mutiny on June 13th, successfully imprisoning their commanding officers. Most prominent amongst the imprisoned was Feldmarschalleutnant Johann Peter Beaulieu who had ironically been assigned to the army by von Futak to sort out the mismanagement and corruption that had led to the foul state of the army in the first place.

Upon assuming command of the army, von Hiller and a contingent of five thousand soldiers marched south to Vienna, intent on getting the army’s grievances addressed by the Emperor himself. Von Hiller made his intentions quite clear, sending notice ahead to Vienna prior to departing, and as the five thousand slowly marched south, von Hiller received demands from nearly every member of the Habsburg government to stop his advance, from von Futak to the State Chancellor and Prince of Kaunitz-Rietberg, Wenzel Anton, and even the heir to the throne of Austria, the Grand Duke of Tuscany. However, as the five thousand approached Vienna, one voice was disturbingly notable in its absence. Emperor Joseph had not protested von Hiller’s actions which von Hiller took as implicit support.

On July 4th, the army arrived in Vienna. Some Viennese cheered the soldiers on. Others hid in their homes. As the army neared Schönbrunn Palace, the seat of the Habsburg monarchy, the five thousand came to a barricade armed by a few dozen soldiers. Embodying confidence and boldness one might not have expected of a man of his rank and position in society, von Futak in full uniform and atop a white horse definitely held his ground in front of the barricade. Once more he demanded von Hiller surrender, asking von Hiller if he had forgotten he was an officer in the service of the Emperor.

History never recorded von Hiller’s full response. Only four words were remembered by the soldiers present, four words that, in 1826 would be inscribed on von Hiller’s empty grave, and they would be the last four words von Hiller spoke before the Austrian Revolution began.

“I serve my soldiers.”

Von Futak never had the chance to respond before he was cut down along with barricading soldiers.