Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

200csa.png

In Gettysburg, the Confederation wins. This is the biggest victory of the Confederation, as they would soon proceed to capture New York City and Washington, forcing the Union forces to surrender at the Treaty of Washington. Both nations coexist for 200 years and beyond.

The Eureka Rebellion at Ballarat causes the Victorian parliament to pass the Electoral Act to enable male suffrage (as in OTL). The English Colonial office sees this as an upstart colony of bandits and criminals (Transportation to Victoria only ended 4 years previously) and chose to dissolve the Victorian parliament for having ideas above its station. The Victorian public rebelled against the dictatorial Colonial office, who did not want Australia to go the same way as Canada seemed to be going (Canadian Act of Union 1840 effectively created the Canada that would become the confederation 17 years later). The English colonial office sent in the troops (mostly Scots and Irish troops) who were inspired to switch allegiance by the impassioned rhetoric from the rebellions' leaders, and in particular Irish-born Peter Lalor, future First Minister. The English had no choice - they had to concede Victoria and granted full dominion status and full self government. The other colonies then began to follow the fight for self government and, one by one, each of the colonies would join with Victoria (with the exception of Western Australia which remained a crown colony and was renamed Auralia to removed any thoughts of a "Complete Australia") forming the United Provinces of Australia, or simply Australia in 1857 (Tradition holds that the UPA started with that first act of rebellion in 1854). Auralia remained a crown colony until 1933, when they voted to joined the UPA.

The Flag comes from the original Eureka Rebellion flag first flown in Ballarat, but includes the national colours of Green for the fertile coast land and Gold for the Golden Wattle. The "CC" was added to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of the Eureka Rebellion.
The stars follow a loose representation of the Southern Cross and each have eight points for each Province: Victoria, New South Wales, Fitzrovia (OTL QL), Tasmania, Northern Province (OTL NT), Auralia (OTL WA), Adelaide Province (OTL SA), and Centralia (OTL former southern half of NT).

Eureka2.png

Last edited:
Nation of Muskogee

Part of a 1996 news clipping:

William Bowles kept the support of the United Kingdom, whom would go onto supply the various peoples living in Muskogee (Florida). With greater support from his British backers, Bowles was able remove the Spanish in Florida and prevent the US from claiming Florida. In 1803 the US declined the purchase of the Louisiana Territory from France, not even taking the City of New Orleans. By the time of the War of 1811, the US was once again threating Muskogee. With the Napoleonic wars still ongoing, and the UK occupied, the US prosecuted “Madison’s War” to regain what they considered US territory. Unfortunately for the US, the war was not popular and the States actually found themselves in a vice between Muskogee and Canada. Then, u nexpectedly, Napoleon type in September 1811. With fear of more British troops being transported to North America a peace deal was sought with Muskogee, UK, and Canada.

During the American Civil War, Muskogee was known to accept fleeing slaves from the Confederated States of America. This actually got so bad that the CSA threatened war with Muskogee, but cooler heads prevailed, preventing the CSA fighting another war, especially with the chance of Britain coming to their ally’s defense…

Bicentennial Banner:

The banner was flown along with the national flag during the 1996 Bicentennial of Muskogee. While 1799 is referred to the founding of Muskogee by many historians, Muskogans themselves have always considered the voiding of the 1796 treaty between Spain and the United States, because it had ignored the Indians' sovereignty over Florida, as the original founding.

The banner consists of the sun emblem formed into dual comets that create the number 96, referencing the year 1796. The 96 is encircled in 20 ten pointed stars representing the 200 years of nationhood.

200yrMuskigeeB.png

@The Professor: good challenge; sorry I couldn't enter, but this time of year is very busy (Sinterklaas, Xmas parties, lots of 'must be done before Xmas' tasks at work, etc) - unfortunately designing flags has to take a back seat!

I voted for the Muskogee, because Native American AH always needs more love. :D

Merry Christmas, fellow vexilologists ! :cool: :)

Bumping for the last day.

If no takers, should extend it further or think of something else?

Perhaps we should rethink the rules or create a new type of challenge. The attendance has been quite low for a long time.

PS: You posted in the wrong thread, this one is for discussions.

Bumping for the last day.

If no takers, should extend it further or think of something else?
If you don't get 2 entries you can extend it a week, then extend again or come up with a new question.

Perhaps we should rethink the rules or create a new type of challenge. The attendance has been quite low for a long time.
It's always low this time of year unfortunately.

I don't feel massively inspired at the mo. I can come up with ideas they just don't seem to fit right with shape. :confused:

If you don't get 2 entries you can extend it a week, then extend again or come up with a new question.

I'll extend it to Monday January 14th.

It's always low this time of year unfortunately.

I don't feel massively inspired at the mo. I can come up with ideas they just don't seem to fit right with shape. :confused:

Yeah, I had a feeling with the holidays it was going to be a bit of a slump. That is why I made it a bit longer than the usual challenges to begin with.

Sorry I didn't enter - New Year, travelling back from my parents, then back to school for the children and back to work for me took up all my time, and my brains cells just weren't up to thinking about flags as well (a sign of me getting old I think).