28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

A few question about your earlier posts:

1.) What good would jamming the UK's radios do? Wouldn't that hasten the deaths of people?
2.) Why didn't NATO commit boots on the ground or at least air support? If the threat of the virus is that great
3.) Wouldn't places like Cornwall and Anglesey be able to cut themselves off with about a million refugees each or so?

I wonder what the outrage from the Channel Massacre could cause, maybe Chirac and Bush's popularity going down the drown and tons of French and American apologists.

Cornwall maybe, most of its land border with its neighbouring county Devon is a river. Can't remember if ragers can swim or not?

Anglesey blow the bridge and should be possible at least for a time.

A few question about your earlier posts:

1.) What good would jamming the UK's radios do? Wouldn't that hasten the deaths of people?
2.) Why didn't NATO commit boots on the ground or at least air support? If the threat of the virus is that great
3.) Wouldn't places like Cornwall and Anglesey be able to cut themselves off with about a million refugees each or so?

I wonder what the outrage from the Channel Massacre could cause, maybe Chirac and Bush's popularity going down the drown and tons of French and American apologists.

1.) It was a necessary evil as the British refugees already became a problem to the countries hosting them. Think of it as today's migrant crisis but more and more come every week. Yes, it would hasten the death of people but at the same time it would project the false notion that the Rage spread out of the UK so that the remaining British citizens will stay put, making the quarantine effective.
2.) They actually did commit boots on the ground after 28 Days. Initially, they didn't except air support and fuel drops possibly due to the threat of the virus infecting their troops.
3.) I'm not so familiar with the geography of the UK but @CultBoy 's answer seems to be a good explanation.

As for George W. Bush and Jacques Chirac, their popularity did go down with the Channel Massacre. Chirac later would be disposed in a coup for refusal to use nuclear weapons was the rage reached northern France but not that it helped though.

Would it be possible to build a wall like the Berlin Wall along the M25 to keep the infected out whilst demolishing/blocking off bridges along the River Thames and Trent whilst blowing up canals with defensive lines from the end of both of these rivers to the sea? As it would be easy to defend, if that's too much then an evacuation of north London then blocking bridges of historic importance along the Thames.

Would it be possible to build a wall like the Berlin Wall along the M25 to keep the infected out whilst demolishing/blocking off bridges along the River Thames and Trent whilst blowing up canals with defensive lines from the end of both of these rivers to the sea? As it would be easy to defend, if that's too much then an evacuation of north London then blocking bridges of historic importance along the Thames.

I think the infection spread way to fast for that.

"We will build a wall... and make the Ragers pay for it!"

A wall using the M25 as a basis, a Berlin Wall analogy too, is just impossible in time, scale and sheer possibly.
Cutting the Thames crossings is doable. There are bridges but more so many tunnels: roads, London Underground and utility link connections which can be walked through too. They could be destroyed and blocked and it wouldn't be impossible. South London could be safely cut that way.

"We will build a wall... and make the Ragers pay for it!"

A wall using the M25 as a basis, a Berlin Wall analogy too, is just impossible in time, scale and sheer possibly.
Cutting the Thames crossings is doable. There are bridges but more so many tunnels: roads, London Underground and utility link connections which can be walked through too. They could be destroyed and blocked and it wouldn't be impossible. South London could be safely cut that way.

The British government only had 1-2 weeks to do it before London was abandoned to the ragers. Most of their police, military, transport, and SAR units were more focused on the evacuation of the capital rather than delaying or stalling the ragers. Remember, everyone CANNOT be saved.

I remember someone posted somewhere up-thread that a likelier event would be that the virus burned itself out somewhere in northern England due to sparse population, but kspence92 chose to stick with the established canon and made Britain fall within 28 days.

Marc A

There is a story called '28 Days Under A Long White Cloud' somewhere on the board. It is about Ragers in New Zealand. In that excellent work, there is a piece explaining how an Infected gets from South Island to North Island in spite of every effort to stop that. One distressed man with his infected wife does everything to 'save' her by sneaking her in using a small boat which takes the long way around with the aim of finding help. This brings infection.

I always thought that would have worked very well with the 28 Days Later films as it would be more plauisble and human too than what we saw with the helicopter to France.

I had no idea people had read that beyond its smasl audience. I had forgotten about it. I always enjoyed kspences work.

I remember someone posted somewhere up-thread that a likelier event would be that the virus burned itself out somewhere in northern England due to sparse population, but kspence92 chose to stick with the established canon and made Britain fall within 28 days.

Marc A

Northern England while less urbanised than the south still has enough people to panic, move about and spread the Rage. Esp given the amount of fleeing folk from the south who'll be looking for shelter, boats out, a plane etc. Fairly easy to spread still. Also anyone infected who managed to get on a plane/train north will have spread it to Northern England and Scotland even before the whole South fell.

Anyone 'zombie genre' aware will be heading into the 'empty' Lake District, 'empty' Dartmooor, and up to the 'empty' Scottish Highlands asap.

Ignoring 28 Weeks Later...

Its 28 days after New Year 2003 - the Infected Outbreak was supposed to be put down in the UK, but small outbreaks keep appearing as the Forces slowly reclaim Britain.

Your a survivor - where are you, and what are you doing now?

Ignoring 28 Weeks Later...

Its 28 days after New Year 2003 - the Infected Outbreak was supposed to be put down in the UK, but small outbreaks keep appearing as the Forces slowly reclaim Britain.

Your a survivor - where are you, and what are you doing now?

6 years old. Turning 7 on September 4. Currently in Kindergarten 2.

On a side note, what would have happened if the Rage outbreak had occurred in, say, Cambridge, Massachusetts?

Eventually, IMO, unlike in Britain, there will be nukes used to contain the outbreak...

Pop culturally, everything associated with British culture after POD would be butterflied away or exist as something else entirely as analogue to OTL. So we would not see One Direction, The Wanted, Jessie J., Adele, The Voice or X-factor UK even if they survived or relocated to Europe, Ireland, Iberia, North America, or Australia. Gordon Ramsay and Simon Cowell would most likely resettle in the United States while David Beckham would either go to Ireland, Canada, or Australia. As mentioned before, the entertainment and music industry would be drastically different from our timeline.

Mr. Bean would probably be a reminder of an era that used to be, along with Mission Impossible, James Bond, Postman Pat and Thomas the Tank Engine. Mr. Bean's Holiday would never be made even Rowan Atkinson made it to Ireland or elsewhere not affected by the Rage virus.

chankljp

Donor
Mr. Bean would probably be a reminder of an era that used to be, along with Mission Impossible, James Bond, Postman Pat and Thomas the Tank Engine.

I think these iconic British film will be watched and viewed the same way that people in OTL watch old Soviet-era movies produced by the Mosfilm studio: In that more then just the movie itself, they will be used to study how things used to be in a bygone era, with many of the British-exiles or people that have visited the UK in the past more interested in looking at the background and locations that the scenes were filmed in, and remember the way that the country used to be like with their people alive and whole.

I guess that the old time Paris will be something from a bright and marvellous past, before infected and Civil War destroyed so much.

A lot of American and Chinese Tourists will enjoy low-price Paris copies of famous Monuments (including Eiffel Tower and Louvres Museum) and Restaurants (snails and frogs, really?) in Las Vegas and in Shangai...of course some frenchmen won't really appreciate but they will be like Englishmen after the first oubreak, scared and spread out in various countries and lost a lot of their cultural and social marks ( there is no longer French Lover or Parisian Style) .