When the Wind Blew: a P&S Open Thread

Technically speaking, the concept of suicide as a sin (let alone something punishable by Hell) is a later dogma in Christianity. It is not canonical. It isn't Biblical. It's more a popular religious opinion than a religious tenet.

Heck, there's an idea in that too: Dante's Inferno for the 1980s. Someone from the nuclear war is lead through Hell, Purgatory and Heaven meeting all the historic figures and seeing where they are and hearing their philosophy contrasted to the nuclear apocalypse, and seeing people they knew when they were alive and where they ended up in the Afterlife. It'd be Curtis LeMay in some Circle of Hell boasting about how he was right and they just should have nuked sooner when the US had the advantage in the 60s and stuff like that. That'd actually be interesting because it would be timely, and good writing is a reflection of a time. The social period of Dante's Inferno really does not mean a lot to us now because it's a lot of context that is half a millenia out of date and a fan fiction about how people Dante hated went to Hell.

Maybe it could be a story in the context of Hell, Heaven and Purgatory being flooded with more souls than any of them know what to do with, the Celestial Beings are confused as to what to do, the deceased souls who died long ago and are there are not sure what to do in welcoming the new dead, God didn't intend for that to be the Rapture, people are looking for their loved ones but can't find them because it's basically a metaphysical refugee crisis where millions upon millions of people are dropped in the Afterlife at once and are aimless and dispersed everywhere, and it's hard to find who you're looking for.

I wish I had the energy to write that. I can think it up, though. "Angels in America" comes to mind.

Holy crap, guys, I was in the car driving to a coffee shop to work, listening to the radio (being in the Detroit area, we get Canadian stations too) and the song just cut straight out into the Canadian Alert System (which sounds just like the British and Aussie ones you see in those Youtube scenarios) and I just about went through the roof of the car. Mouth was legit hanging open until I heard the words "There is no danger to your health and safety at this time." The Canadians apparently don't give you the "This is a test" part first.

Holy crap, guys, I was in the car driving to a coffee shop to work, listening to the radio (being in the Detroit area, we get Canadian stations too) and the song just cut straight out into the Canadian Alert System (which sounds just like the British and Aussie ones you see in those Youtube scenarios) and I just about went through the roof of the car. Mouth was legit hanging open until I heard the words "There is no danger to your health and safety at this time." The Canadians apparently don't give you the "This is a test" part first.

At least you were spared getting it on your phone, too.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/wireless-emergency-alert-test-1.4923636

I was thinking of writing a Protect & Survive set in the Philippines but I am working on others projects for now. I need to know first what targets struck the country.

Proposed Title: Pearl of the Orient - A Protect and Survive Spinoff
Setting: Republic of the Philippines, Sabah, South China Sea
Description: How the Philippines, one of America's oldest allies in the region, weathered the exchanged and the aftermath. I'm assuming the Soviets nuked the U.S. bases in the region.

Points to Canadians for dry humor.

Heck, there's an idea in that too: Dante's Inferno for the 1980s. Someone from the nuclear war is lead through Hell, Purgatory and Heaven meeting all the historic figures and seeing where they are and hearing their philosophy contrasted to the nuclear apocalypse, and seeing people they knew when they were alive and where they ended up in the Afterlife. It'd be Curtis LeMay in some Circle of Hell boasting about how he was right and they just should have nuked sooner when the US had the advantage in the 60s and stuff like that. That'd actually be interesting because it would be timely, and good writing is a reflection of a time. The social period of Dante's Inferno really does not mean a lot to us now because it's a lot of context that is half a millenia out of date and a fan fiction about how people Dante hated went to Hell.

Maybe it could be a story in the context of Hell, Heaven and Purgatory being flooded with more souls than any of them know what to do with, the Celestial Beings are confused as to what to do, the deceased souls who died long ago and are there are not sure what to do in welcoming the new dead, God didn't intend for that to be the Rapture, people are looking for their loved ones but can't find them because it's basically a metaphysical refugee crisis where millions upon millions of people are dropped in the Afterlife at once and are aimless and dispersed everywhere, and it's hard to find who you're looking for.

I wish I had the energy to write that. I can think it up, though. "Angels in America" comes to mind.

That is a rousing good idea.

I hate to do this (and start a major argument), but I think the P&S timeline may be possibly faulty. The reason is simple: as soon as the conventional war started, it's very likely both the Americans and Soviet would have evacuated as many of their top politicians out of Washington, DC and Moscow to someplace a lot safer. This means on the American side, Congress would have moved its members to the The Greenbrier resort's bunker and the President definitely away from Washington, DC, probably flying the E-4 command post. And the Russians would have moved the Politburo out of Moscow to a bunker well outside the city. So by the time of the nuclear exchange, the top politicians on both sides would be (mostly) out of harm's way. And the same applied to the British--the Royal Family would probably have left London even before the start of hostilities.

I'm not so sure. Elements of government perhaps, but since dispersal of government could be interpreted as a prelude to initiating nuclear use it could possibly precipitate that use in a pre-emptive strike. On that basis I have a feeling that dispersal of top government personnel would be delayed until as late as possible (and in all likelihood until it would be impossible). Historically during the Cuban crisis the British government dispersed neither its government or its bombers for this reason. There is also a slight precedent from Able Archer '83, when certain high officials who were originally scheduled to participate ultimately did not as there was concern about the message that participation would have sent

I was thinking of writing a Protect & Survive set in the Philippines but I am working on others projects for now. I need to know first what targets struck the country.

Description: How the Philippines, one of America's oldest allies in the region, weathered the exchanged and the aftermath. I'm assuming the Soviets nuked the U.S. bases in the region.
Title: Thus the Balloon Pop'd

Setting:
Philippines

Description

In the "New Society" put forward by the despot Ferdinand Marcos and his cronies, the emotions against the regime starts to boil months after Ninoy Aquino was shot in MIA. However, Marcos had a bigger threat from the north: a threat that could destroy his very own fiefdom.

Disclaimer: I still need to do more research for this, though.

@Simeon, that's a promising project. I;m not sure if the Soviets spared Manila like in 1983: Doomsday but for sure Clark, Subic, Baguio, and other military bases went up in smoke. I guess from August 1983 when Aquino was asssinated all the way to the exchange, the Philippine military would have intensified campaigns against the NPA.

I did a 1963 war over JFK being murdered in Berlin (see it here), and Clark AFB took it on the chin, which caused a lot of fallout. Feel free to use the information in it towards your own work.