AHC: New Canadian flag

My effort. I also like the Canadian Unity Flag.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/Canadian_Unity_Flag.png

Flag_of_Canada.png

Last edited:
That said, I feel like the Pennant needs the triple leaf design, since the OTL flag with blue bars instead of red would just look shitty.

http://i.imgur.com/gaSlHxK.png

See? The leaf becomes too dominant, and it throws off the feel of the whole thing. It looks clownish.

I agree that looks awful, but that's more to do with the vibrant colours than the actual design. With a more muted palette, it looks quite nice:

Untitled.png

Isot the Terrible said:
I also like the Canadian Unity Flag.
Two suggestions: the Union Flag "sidebars" on both sides.

Or, take the Union Flag & put the maple leaf on the center.:p

I've always found a blue version of the Canadian flag to be not too bad. Not ideal, but not bad.

canadian-flag%20blue.jpg

I think it would also make more sense as we have three blue oceans, many blue Great Lakes, blue rivers and lakes, blue hills, blue mountains, and blue skies.

I know it's been years and I hate to necro a thread, knowing it will be closed; but I have to share this one I found because of just how unique it is;
y6qrs58swn301.jpg

I hope your being saracastic
Sort of . Does that count?

I like the Canadian flag the way it is personally . It doesn't need a British union jack or other crazy items.. Nothing says Canada like that maple leaf . Okay drunk guys in Winnipeg do too.. But I digress

OTL those of us old enough to remember the 1960s flag debate welcomed the maple leaf flag because it was easier for elementary school students to draw.
In part, the maple leaf flag was inspired Royal Canadian Navy sit-down-strikes of 1949. With fewer and fewer Canadians born in the UK, the Union Jack became less and less relevant and Canadian sailors demanded Canadian insignia on their uniforms.
Sailors wanted distinctively Canadian insignia like the RCAF’s maple leaf rounded. The new maple leaf flag also signalled that the British Commonwealth was fading.
We were amazed that the ruling Progressive Conservative was able to dominate the new flag with their party colours.
How they eliminated the “liberal” party’s blue .... and tried to tell us that both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans were red is a mystery ?????
ATL If the Canadian flag were re-drawn today, it would need to be far more inclusive, so inclusive that a new flag would be hopelessly complicated. A new flag would need to include the Arctic Ocean across the top. Should the melting Arctic Ocean be red or blue?
For good measure, we should include some of the Great Lakes .... you know ..... our “Southern Ocean” ..... that keeps Americans in their place.
While we are adding colours, all those special interest groups will require their colours on a new flag: LGBT etc. rainbow.
“Black Lives Matter” will probably demand a black stripe .... even though Africans are only a tiny percentage of Canadian population. In Vancouver, dark-skinned citizens are more likely from Southern India.
Then Canadians Sikhs might demand a kirpan knife ....

All these extra colours would drive flag-printers to drink and confuse elementary school kids.

Honestly I like the Canadian Flag as it is today bold red colors distinctive. The Maple Leaf insignia all by itself shows the nations early connection to its land and resources. Very simple and and memorable. Still thought I'd have some fun on ms paint and whip up a few variations on the existing theme. One is just the Canadian Flag colors inverted the other two add some blue into the flag in different ways.

Attachments

• altcanadaflag.png
    altcanadaflag.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 126
  • altcanadaflag2.png
    altcanadaflag2.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 117
  • canadaflaginverted.png
    canadaflaginverted.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 124
OTL those of us old enough to remember the 1960s flag debate welcomed the maple leaf flag because it was easier for elementary school students to draw.
In part, the maple leaf flag was inspired Royal Canadian Navy sit-down-strikes of 1949. With fewer and fewer Canadians born in the UK, the Union Jack became less and less relevant and Canadian sailors demanded Canadian insignia on their uniforms.
Sailors wanted distinctively Canadian insignia like the RCAF’s maple leaf rounded. The new maple leaf flag also signalled that the British Commonwealth was fading.
We were amazed that the ruling Progressive Conservative was able to dominate the new flag with their party colours.
How they eliminated the “liberal” party’s blue .... and tried to tell us that both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans were red is a mystery ?????
ATL If the Canadian flag were re-drawn today, it would need to be far more inclusive, so inclusive that a new flag would be hopelessly complicated. A new flag would need to include the Arctic Ocean across the top. Should the melting Arctic Ocean be red or blue?
For good measure, we should include some of the Great Lakes .... you know ..... our “Southern Ocean” ..... that keeps Americans in their place.
While we are adding colours, all those special interest groups will require their colours on a new flag: LGBT etc. rainbow.
“Black Lives Matter” will probably demand a black stripe .... even though Africans are only a tiny percentage of Canadian population. In Vancouver, dark-skinned citizens are more likely from Southern India.
Then Canadians Sikhs might demand a kirpan knife ....

All these extra colours would drive flag-printers to drink and confuse elementary school kids.

This thread is for alternate history discussion, not email forwards from your racist uncle.