2018 Presidential Election

mspence

Banned
Hunter has a lot of friends in the GOP, more than Hollis did in the Democratic Party. Sam may actually find it easier to reach across the aisle with him.

I'd like to see what the 2018 Election wikibox looks like now.

Oh, right. I was going to post that after the results, but forgot.

Here it is:

wwpres18.png

The only thing that will be an issue, not major but since when did the media not make a mountain out of a molehill, Hunter voting for himself will come under question.
That won’t be an issue. It’s literally himself and the guy he defeated. Who would expect him to vote for the other guy?

He could have abstained.

The only way he could have would either have been to not show up to the vote (not a good look considering he was running to be the person presiding over the Senate in less than three weeks' time) or grind the proceedings to a halt in a way that annoys everyone*.

*- The rules the Senate used for the contingent election in 1837 (and thus precedent for this most recent VP election) require that if Hunter was present and wanted to abstain, he would be required to explain his reasoning for not voting to the presiding officer of the Senate (Clark) and the Senate would need to stop voting on the current matter (picking a new VP) to vote on whether it would accept Hunter's reason for not voting for either himself or Hollis.

I am not second guessing here, but if I was a party to the construction of this storyline, I’d have Jack Hunter die before the inauguration & then Sam Seaborn would have a 25th Amendment matter to address, he could nominate someone only to witness the candidate in question fail to secure confirmation, then nominate another candidate, say Kate Crossley of New Jersey. The reason why I suggested such a scenario, we have never have a 12th Amendment scenario lead to a 25th Amendment scenario in which the candidate in question fails confirmation. He eventually gets Crossley; everyone gets an in-depth lesson in how the constitutional process actually works from the point of view of the White House & the Senate. Just an idea to throw around.

I am not second guessing here, but if I was a party to the construction of this storyline, I’d have Jack Hunter die before the inauguration & then Sam Seaborn would have a 25th Amendment matter to address, he could nominate someone only to witness the candidate in question fail to secure confirmation, then nominate another candidate, say Kate Crossley of New Jersey. The reason why I suggested such a scenario, we have never have a 12th Amendment scenario lead to a 25th Amendment scenario in which the candidate in question fails confirmation. He eventually gets Crossley; everyone gets an in-depth lesson in how the constitutional process actually works from the point of view of the White House & the Senate. Just an idea to throw around.
A: Why do you keep wanting to kill people

B: It's already complicated, we're already in uncharted territory. Why make it worse?

Maybe I’m a murderer at heart! :) but seriously, yes you are right we are in uncharted territory here! & I’m pretty sure as the story develops, we will likely go way beyond uncharted! Jack Hunter I get! He’s the obvious choice to be a Republican Vice President, to a President who shares his partisan affiliation! But it’s higly unlikely “Independent” registration or not, Hunter who as we all know is a rock solid Republican, will chart a truly independent course, so here’s a question, how does Seaborn allow Hunter to play any high profile position? Especially when it is likely Hunter can at anytime re-register as a Republican and challenge Seaborn in 2022. Hunter is clearly no Arnold Vinick.

I know the Cabinet has already been decided, but will be interesting to see if Seaborn extends any more bipartisan hands to the Republicans with the remaining posts.

I doubt an incoming Democratic President could get away/want to give any of Energy, COEA Chair or EPA Admin to the Republicans. However, Transportation, Veterans Affairs, Director of National Intelligence or SBA Admin could be spots if Seaborn were to go more bipartisan, as so far I believe the only Republicans in the administration will be Hunter and Boone? Particularly as a bargaining chip with tough fights like the Abby Bartlet confirmation ahead.

I am not second guessing here.

By saying this you are already, essentially, second guessing the course of where this timeline plans to go.

A number of us, whether on this forum or in our own heads, have asked you to stop second-guessing decisions made by the team. You can create your own “West Wing” timeline and do things the way that you want, but please stop criticizing every move that is made in this timeline. Just enjoy the ride.

NBS.COM
Saturday January 5th 2018

Matt Skinner nominated for Secretary of Transportation

President Elect Seaborn continued putting to together the final touches to his Cabinet today by announcing that a second Republican would be nominated in former Vermont Senator and Congressman Matt Skinner to Secretary of Transportation, alongside Washington Governor Sean Boone and of course the now Vice-President elect Jack Hunter.

Skinner was highly respected by former White House Chief of Staffs Leo McGarry and Josh Lyman. The moderate Skinner who is gay was considered for the role by President Walken administration two years ago but decided he wanted another shot at the Senate in which failed narrowly last November.

Last edited:
Ah yes, famous transportation-centric state Vermont. A nice bipartisan gesture from Seaborn, but not exactly a great fit for the job. There hasn't been a real Secretary of Transportation since Jill Keaton.

Ah yes, famous transportation-centric state Vermont. A nice bipartisan gesture from Seaborn, but not exactly a great fit for the job. There hasn't been a real Secretary of Transportation since Jill Keaton.
But if you read back on the original thread back in 2009 when Skinner ran for the GOP Presidential nomination he got attacked for earmarks on bridges and trying to improve roads in Vermont as a Congressman.

But if you read back on the original thread back in 2009 when Skinner ran for the GOP Presidential nomination he got attacked for earmarks on bridges and trying to improve roads in Vermont as a Congressman.
That is a good point, and why I assume he was on Walken's shortlist both times, but the department has a large purview that extends beyond just roads. While I'm sure the Senate will easily confirm Skinner, the pick is a tad bit disappointing from Seaborn.

Who is likely to be DNI & Secretary of HS? Were there any during the Santos-Walken administrations? I know in the OTL these two positions were created in the aftermath of 9/11, but was there any 9/11 during the Bartlet administration? In response to Arrowfan237, if it appears that I have leveled criticism over the storyline, it might sound so, but I have to dispute such a claim! I have merely voiced opinions & offered suggestions. For some reason you Arrowfan237 & a few others are exhibiting a hypersensitive reaction to these suggestions as criticism & greet any alternative viewpoint with hostility. Why such a reaction? You need to take a chill pill dude!

Who is likely to be DNI & Secretary of HS? Were there any during the Santos-Walken administrations? I know in the OTL these two positions were created in the aftermath of 9/11, but was there any 9/11 during the Bartlet administration?

9/11 did not happen in this universe. There is no Department of Homeland Security, but there will be a Director of National Intelligence that announced soon. There was no equivalent during the Santos administration, but the Walken administration had Jeremy Falco as Director of National Security from 2011 until 2016 and then removed the position from the cabinet.

In response to Arrowfan237, if it appears that I have leveled criticism over the storyline, it might sound so, but I have to dispute such a claim! I have merely voiced opinions & offered suggestions. For some reason you Arrowfan237 & a few others are exhibiting a hypersensitive reaction to these suggestions as criticism & greet any alternative viewpoint with hostility. Why such a reaction? You need to take a chill pill dude!

Maybe instead of it being that everyone else is overreacting, maybe it's your behavior that's the issue?

For instance, in this reply alone, you responded to Arrowhead237's polite and reasonable request by basically calling him and anyone else that has asked you to change your behavior on this thread as immature and uptight.

I don't know why you seem to think that this kind of conduct is going to get Marky, disputed or anyone else in the creative team to take your comments or criticism seriously, but I can tell you that it's not working.

I merely made suggestions to the storyline, if it’s a case of accusations of overreaction or immaturity & uptightness, perhaps too much is being read into any comments I made! I have merely offered some ideas on the storyline in an effort to be helpful & as a means to allow the creative team to brainstorm! If airing such ideas might sound antisocial or be considered bad behavior, then that was not the intent; but it seems to me, that any opinions which are contrary to a path already charted by the creative team are clearly viewed as either not welcome or in negative terms. Apologies for my rudeness perceived or otherwise.

I merely made suggestions to the storyline, if it’s a case of accusations of overreaction or immaturity & uptightness, perhaps too much is being read into any comments I made! I have merely offered some ideas on the storyline in an effort to be helpful & as a means to allow the creative team to brainstorm! If airing such ideas might sound antisocial or be considered bad behavior, then that was not the intent; but it seems to me, that any opinions which are contrary to a path already charted by the creative team are clearly viewed as either not welcome or in negative terms. Apologies for my rudeness perceived or otherwise.
As we have said if you have any suggestions PM them to Marky and disputed. That would be much better than coming into the thread and loudly declaiming what you would do if it was up to you