Interreligious royal marriages

Something pretty close to be implausible. But I am looking for options to make this work.

In this case something like Russian ruling Dynasty marries with the Tatar and Mongolian Ruling dynasties, Iberian Royal Dynasties marrying with Andalusian and Maghrebi Royal Families etc. Nations who are close to each other. Not like Bohemia and Ethiopia.

PoD is 1400 AD

Happened OTL in the Balkans and Caucasus several times between the Ottomans and their Christian neighbors, but I take it that doesn't count?

It already happen in otl see Rum Seljuk and Georgia and Trebizond and Anatolian beylik. Not to mention the Mongols included Yuan dynasty. It is depend of political gain from those marriages.

A fun example of cross-faith political marriages was the negotiations for Saladin’s brother, Al-Adil Saphadin, to Richard I’s sister Joanna and then to his niece Eleanor of Brittany. Though this may not count for what you want, as if either marriages had gone through Saphadin was expected to convert to Christianity.

I should have been clear. Make it not as controversial as OTL. The Byzantines did this to play off various neighbours against each other but a stronger Byzantine Empire (1025) did not.

This is hard to do. In Islam traditionally, as I understand it, the children of a Muslim woman are to be raised as Muslims. This makes it hard for a prince of Castile, say, to marry a princess of Granada and keep his realm Catholic.

This is hard to do. In Islam traditionally, as I understand it, the children of a Muslim woman are to be raised as Muslims. This makes it hard for a prince of Castile, say, to marry a princess of Granada and keep his realm Catholic.

I remember the Banu Qasi in Northern Spain intermarrying with Christian Neighbour.

I guess it depends on the power...

I had an idea a few months ago where Aragon supports the Alexandrian Crusade and a few decades later, when the Mamluk Empire falls apart, the Aragoneese Count of Alexandria marries a daughter of the last Mamluk sultan.

Happened all the time in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Both Gediminas and Algirdas, Despite being pagan, had Orthodox wives from other royal dynasties.

Emperor Constantine's parents. Mom was a Christian, dad was decidedly not AFAIK.

Abu Hassan, Emir of Granada married a Christian girl, Isabel de Solis/Zoraya that he threw over his wife Aïxa (a descendant of Mohammed) for.

Marie Anne de Bourbon (bastard daughter of Louis XIV) was proposed to by the Sultan of Morocco.

Abd there were several French/Italian Catholics in the Ottoman harem that climbed rather high (becoming mothers or not sure what the term was for the favoured concubine). Marriage to the sultan wasn't unknown (see Roxelana). So simply get one of those girls to get a ring on it some way

Also, wasn't one of Umberto II of Italy's sisters or daughters or some Savoyard princess courted by the Shah of Iran? I have a feeling I read it somewhere.

There are Byzantine imperial marriages to Catholics, but I took the thread to mean something more than different sects of the same core faith.

Something pretty close to be implausible. But I am looking for options to make this work.

In this case something like Russian ruling Dynasty marries with the Tatar and Mongolian Ruling dynasties, Iberian Royal Dynasties marrying with Andalusian and Maghrebi Royal Families etc. Nations who are close to each other. Not like Bohemia and Ethiopia.

PoD is 1400 AD
Otto and Theophanu

Honestly there's little benefit in these kind of interreligious marriages, when they happened it seemed more like a case of tribute from a weaker state to a stronger. But I think potential modernising Muslim monarchies could do something similar to what the Russians did, marry minor Protestant German princely families in monogamous marriages to create family connections to European royalty, and as these connection improved, they could marry upward to more important families, if they're also willing to marry a few of their daughters to Christian royalty, they could likely move upward faster.