How different is the world of My Hero Academia?

In the manga/anime series, quirks are common place. Izuku Midoriya's mother is listed as a 4th generation quirk user, and is close to 40. This means quirks appeared sometime between the American Civil War and the late 1920s. I want to know how different their world is. WW II hashed out with super strength or.... tape shooting elbows. Did Stalin have a quirk? Did FDR? I don't know if anyone else was ever interested in this.

They have kids around twenty or thirty in these cases. It is best to keep in mind that generation doesn't necessarily mean lifetimes. There is a lot of overlap. Heck, very easy for there to be four or five generations alive at the same time.

If Deku is born around 2000 (the manga was first published in 2014); his mother (generation 4) would be born around 1975, her mother (generation 3) around 1950, her mother (generation 2) around 1925 and her mother, the first generation, would have been born around 1900. This is assuming each woman has her child at age 25. If, as would be the case with many women in the early XX century, they have the first child in their late teens then Deku's mother could have been born when his grandmother was about 20 which mean his grandmother (gen 3) could have been born in 1955. Her mother could have been about 18 when she was born which would have her (great-grandmother) born around 1937. And the great-great-grandmother, the first generation, could have had her first child at age 15 (not unheard of in 1930s Japan) meaning she was born around 1922.

In any case, quirks would have appeared after 1900 and perhaps as late as the mid 1920s. This would have made WWII and the Cold War very interesting as nations would deploy superhumans as weapons.

Also, I know I'm new, but doesn't this belong in the Fandom section?

The manga says something to the effect that in about 2030s the first quirk user was born and has been 200 years since then, meaning its the 23th century.

I know, the tech don't seen 23th century, but from what you can understand from hints in the story, the world went into some bad crisis from the introduction of quirks. Meaning the world we see is finally at peace after who knows how much time going from crisis after crisis in a constant state of social conflict. Aparently there's a hidden reason for why All Might is called the Symbol of Peace.

The manga says something to the effect that in about 2030s the first quirk user was born and has been 200 years since then, meaning its the 23th century.

I know, the tech don't seen 23th century, but from what you can understand from hints in the story, the world went into some bad crisis from the introduction of quirks. Meaning the world we see is finally at peace after who knows how much time going from crisis after crisis in a constant state of social conflict. Aparently there's a hidden reason for why All Might is called the Symbol of Peace.
Do you have the source?

Do you have the source?

It's been years but I'm pretty sure the date for the first quirk user being born and the time since is in the first chapter of the manga.

As for the rest, like I said, is my understanding from hints you get at times in the story that things were not aways that peaceful for the world. After all, you don't get a guy being called called the Symbol of Peace if there was not some very complicated time before he came around.

It's been years but I'm pretty sure the date for the first quirk user being born and the time since is in the first chapter of the manga.

As for the rest, like I said, is my understanding from hints you get at times in the story that things were not aways that peaceful for the world. After all, you don't get a guy being called called the Symbol of Peace if there was not some very complicated time before he came around.
Amazon is in the manga series at least. That means Amazon has to survive for three hundred years.

Amazon is in the manga series at least. That means Amazon has to survive for three hundred years.

You're talking like this would be dificult, private companies can survive for ridiculous long time. Nintendo is actually over a century old, so is Coca-Cola, there's a bank in Florence that opened in the 1400s, and a japanese inn/hotel that is over a millenia old and still operating. While it's common for private companies to go down within five years, those that survive those first few years can go on for a very, very long time.

You're talking like this would be dificult, private companies can survive for ridiculous long time. Nintendo is actually over a century old, so is Coca-Cola, there's a bank in Florence that opened in the 1400s, and a japanese inn/hotel that is over a millenia old and still operating. While it's common for private companies to go down within five years, those that survive those first few years can go on for a very, very long time.
More along the lines of if you are correct, that it's an observation about the company.

Still, I think the series is set in modern day, like 2008 to 2019

More along the lines of if you are correct, that it's an observation about the company.

Still, I think the series is set in modern day, like 2008 to 2019

Doubt it, just looked the first chapter up, and while it has no date, the images clearly show a modern, late 20th century at least, nursery hospital when showing the luminescent baby. Considering that at the very least, Deku being the son of a 4th generation quirk user, it has been 80 to 100 yeas since then (if Deku great-great-grandfather was among the first to develop a quirk, something that is not probable), that puts the date at the very least late 21th century or early 22th century. Most probable, tough, would be the 200 years I talked about, since quirks are inherit through mendelian inheritance they would need at least two centuries to go from a small percentage of the population to the 80% seen at the start of the story.

In the chapter/episode in which All Might first tells Midoriya about All For One he explains that after the quirks first appeared there was a period of chaos in which society collapsed.

Here is the scene from anime.

And here are the appropriate panels from chapter 59 of the manga:
manga.png

Attachments

• manga.png
    manga.png
    489.1 KB · Views: 448
In the chapter/episode in which All Might first tells Midoriya about All For One he explains that after the quirks first appeared there was a period of chaos in which society collapsed.

View attachment 429099
I didn't think that scene ment the future (or our future)

View attachment 429099
Very telling that, in that image, the three men in the foreground are all visibly injured.

I didn't think that scene ment the future (or our future)
Every thing points to that, especially that line about the interstellar travel, but also for example:
1. In all scenes from the time period when the Quirks first appeared we see what appears to be people wearing more or less contemporary fashion.
2. The citiscape shown it these scenes is also very much how late 20th early 21st c. Japanese cities look like.

That being said I don't think that we will ever get any concrete date on the events depicted in the manga.
However I would like to get some more info about what's happening outside of Japan. The only other country that was mentioned in the manga is USA then it is only said that, unlike Japanese, Americans can use their Quirk in public. There is also a minor American character in Vigilante - My Hero Academia: Illegals but we don't learn much about his home country. There probably is some more info in the movie but I haven't watched it yet.

However in the latest chapter of the above mentioned spinoff manga one of the characters traveled to Hong Kong so maybe we will get some info about China.

Doubt it, just looked the first chapter up, and while it has no date, the images clearly show a modern, late 20th century at least, nursery hospital when showing the luminescent baby. Considering that at the very least, Deku being the son of a 4th generation quirk user, it has been 80 to 100 yeas since then (if Deku great-great-grandfather was among the first to develop a quirk, something that is not probable), that puts the date at the very least late 21th century or early 22th century. Most probable, tough, would be the 200 years I talked about, since quirks are inherit through mendelian inheritance they would need at least two centuries to go from a small percentage of the population to the 80% seen at the start of the story.
Mendelian Inheritance can't cause a population explosion of a trait in 2 centuries, or even 20 centuries. To get 80% of people to have superpowers would require either 1) a massive extinction of everyone in the world except for the three or four people who have superpowers, or 2) a ridiculously large number of mutations. The mutations option is consistent with the anime and with the show in general. And in a fictional universe, 100 years is enough time.