28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

Yeah, the kids will complain (and test them for the Rage virus and, if they test positive, detain them somewhere very secure). But. Absolutely. No. Chances. Must. Be. Taken!!!!

And if they complain either bitch slap them silly or just ban them permanently. If dad whines throw him out with them. They were both old enough to know the rules and broke them anyway, they need to be made examples of...

28 Weeks Later is a total waste of Jeremy Renner and Idris Elba (and Rose Byrne, too, come to think of it).

Though I will admit I watched it multiple times while researching for a piece submitted to my college writing class years ago...

Marc A

Fictional screenplay of the French Coup detat from the film called "Fall of the Republic" (in-universe film of the French coup detat and military action during the Rage Epidemic). What do you think @Ukron?

Fall of the Republic
Written by Pierre Dumont
Based on surviving accounts of politicians, military personnel, and civilians on that fateful day
SUBTITLE: Northern France, December 5, 2002
12 hours since Code Red

The helicopter carrying Andrew and Tammy Harris arrives in the field of northern France. U.S. Army pilot Flynn exits armed with an MP5 submachine gun.

A farmer decides to investigate the ruckus, where the sight of a military helicopter would definitely baffle an ordinary farmer.

Suddenly, Andy Harris sneezes before he could get a hankerchief.

Inset shows specs of saliva entering the man's nostrils and eyes. An internal physiology is shown of the Rage Virus attacking human cells in the man's bloodstream right before entering and taking control of the nervous system. The shot goes outer to reveal a close-up of the man's eyes now red.

The man then attacks Tammy and Flynn right before the screen cuts.

A slow, haunting version of "Silent Night" is played on the background.

MUSIC: Silent Night, Holy Night...

Images of chaos and violence in taken from news reports. Ragers in the streets of Calais and Sangatte. Chaos in the Sangatte refugee camp. Police cars and ambulances racing to the scene. Footage of cars leaving into the Belgium. rainy footage of bombers of the French Air Force seen dropping payload on Calais and Sangatte.

MUSIC: All is calm, all is bright...

A Leclerc MBT is seen crushing several cars attempting to leave the quarantine zone. Panic buying in the several cities and towns across France. President Jacques Chirac being informed of the nature of the virus. Images of a burning Calais and Sangatte is shown on screen all while Dunkirk is assaulted by the Ragers.

MUSIC: Round yon Virgin, Mother, Mother and Child...

Various news channels from different countries show footage of the situation in France as it slowly reaches Paris. The famous scene where Chirac is in a brawl with his chief of staff during the meeting where the end is the the generals planning a coup so that nuclear weapons could be used against the Infected.

MUSIC: Holy infant so tender and mild...

SUBTITLE: Paris, France, December 25, 2002
The generals begin their coup as armored vehicles, tanks, and trucks move through the streets of Paris on Christmas Night lined by lights. All while the Eiffel Tower is seen with a roving spotlight radiating to the sky.

MUSIC: Sleep in heavenly peace...

Soldiers under the Chief of Staff storm the Defense Ministry, Charles De Gaulle International Airport, and the Elysee Palace. A short firefight with presidential security detail leaves 10 bodyguards and three rebellious soldiers dead.

Chirac is seen trying to call military officers still loyal to him to put down the coup. 200 soldiers loyal to the government mobilized and fight a "mini-civil war" with the coup plotters.

However, they were too late, as several soldiers enter Chirac's office and hold him at gun point. Bernard Thorette, Army Chief of Staff and leader of the coup faction, personally enters the office of the President.

Chirac: (in French, with subtitles) What the hell is the meaning of this Bernard?!

Thorette: Mr. President. You are under arrest on counts of treason. You are no longer fit to execute your duties as the President of the French Republic.

Chirac: Is this the nuclear option you and others wanted so bad? I am not gonna nuke this country just to save it!

Thorette: Mr. President, you fail to see how serious the Rage Virus is. Just see how the island up north did theirs. We can't allow that to happen to our glorious nation.

Chirac: This will backfire on you badly.

Thorette: Take him away.

Chirac is then taken away by the rebellious soldiers.

MUSIC: Sleep in heavenly peace...

Bernard Thorette is seen addressing the country on national TV. Various Parisians view the aftermath of the mini civil war on the streets of Paris

Map shows the spread of the Rage virus slowly moving into Paris. Estimate would be another week before the historic capital will fall.

END

TITLE SHOWS UP

Nice work @Gillan1220 but I don’t believe that chopper would have been able to land in France and anything coming from Britain after the quarantine went up would have been shot down long before the coast regardless of who was on-board.

28 weeks later makes no sense to me.

Nice work @Gillan1220 but I don’t believe that chopper would have been able to land in France and anything coming from Britain after the quarantine went up would have been shot down long before the coast regardless of who was on-board.

Agreed.

Nor to me, there is NO way the clown in charge of the complex should have had access to the medical facility and his idiot kids should never have been allowed back in after sneaking off; especially with the highly likely infected mother...

The chopper landed in France in the midst of the confusion of the Second London Outbreak. According to @kspence92, it would take time for the news of the second outbreak to be known worldwide [due to sketchy communications] hence why the helicopter was able to snip under the radar. Of course, I assume the world knew about the outbreak once it reached France. By then it was too late.

Agreed with @eltf177, Weeks had too much plotholes. NO WAY IN HELL WOULD ONE BE LAX WITH A POTENTIAL CARRIER WITH NO ARMED GUARDS NEARBY.

I don’t remember Britain being declared ‘open’ or ‘cleared’ again in 28 Weeks, I really doubt France and co would drop their guard until that had happened.

The 2nd London Outbreak would only cause them to double the guard not drop it. No, zip, Zero, nada chance of a chopper getting through.

If you really want the Outbreak to reach Europe it would have been during the first few days as people fled the UK, esp on planes or rickety boats.

Personally I prefer the UK is successfully isolated and slowly, sensibly resettled over several years. The story is about the effect of removal of the UK on the world economy, politics, military commitments, refugees, etc

I don’t remember Britain being declared ‘open’ or ‘cleared’ again in 28 Weeks, I really doubt France and co would drop their guard until that had happened.

The 2nd London Outbreak would only cause them to double the guard not drop it. No, zip, Zero, nada chance of a chopper getting through.

If you really want the Outbreak to reach Europe it would have been during the first few days as people fled the UK, esp on planes or rickety boats.

Personally I prefer the UK is successfully isolated and slowly, sensibly resettled over several years. The story is about the effect of removal of the UK on the world economy, politics, military commitments, refugees, etc
@Ogrebear, Britain was declared "clear" and "open" after all the Infected died 28 days after the first outbreak due to starvation. Hence, why the resettlement would occur. Still don't understand why NATO-U.S. occupying force dropped their guard though. Same for Europe, they would not drop their guard for the next decade or so.

The outbreak could not reach Europe at the first few days since a fast spreading virus would take time to spread and impossible to hide bites. Meaning normal people (except carriers which were unknown by the time of the Channel Crisis) are clean of the Rage. The thing with fast virus is somehow a miracle in disguise since at the first only the immediate area that can be reached by running would be infected while other areas would be safe until the infection reaches there. Add to the fact that the ragers could not swim and any plane with ragers would have crashed anyway...

Imagine if the director/producers/writers of 28 weeks later had gone with their original plan and had it as a prequel where a squad of Royal Marines are sent into London to rescue the Queen?

Imagine if the director/producers/writers of 28 weeks later had gone with their original plan and had it as a prequel where a squad of Royal Marines are sent into London to rescue the Queen?

That would have been awesome. IIRC one segment would involve a SAS squadron rescuing the Prime Minister. Unfortunately, I think they didn't have the budget for such. Would be a good fanmade material though.

Refugee Crisis Looms
A small update just because it's Christmas and I'm feeling generous .

As Cambridge was rapidly overrun with infection, tens of thousands were forced to flee for their lives. Likewise thousands of people from Cambridge and other parts of East Anglia who commuted to London or other cities were unable to return home. The responsibility for these internally displaced persons fell upon the local councils who were being supported by the Red Cross, Salvation Army and other charities and volunteer groups.

With schools across most of South and Central England being closed during the first few days , many of these buildings found themselves being turned into temporary accommodation or even makeshift Red Cross hospitals to support the struggling NHS hospitals being overwhelmed by the volumes of injured. A number of trains would also be commandeered as hospitals to quickly ferry the injured away from danger.

Within ten days of the outbreak beginning, London had taken in some 75,000 refugees fleeing south from the chaos. Hotels, bed and breakfasts along with school gym halls and churches would help with accomodation. In many cases people opened their doors to complete strangers if they had a spare room. The other problem othan accommodation was how to feed these people. All imports and exports to and from the United Kingdom had ceased, therefor only domestically produced goods could be used to feed the people of Britain. The problem with that was that whilst Britain was at least 60% self sufficient with its food stocks, the transport and logistics infrastructure on the island of Great Britain was collapsing. Many roads were jammed with cars trying to flee or were closed after the infection overrun towns the roads passed through. The national fuel reserves were fast drying up meaning lorries were struggling to fill up on fuel to transport food and medicine where it was needed most. Indeed, by the time the order to evacuate London was given, the north of the country was almost entirely cut off from the south. Famine was now a certainty in the United Kingdom.

Despite the struggles with feeding and housing refugees, both the central government and local authorities would rise to the challenge, though sadly they would miss the mark. The Millennium Dome. Built to celebrate in coming of the new Millennium and came at the cost of nearly £1 billion. No longer was it being used in celebration. It was now one of the worlds largest refugee camps and was at almost three times its capacity. The running water and sewage systems no longer functioned. Chemical toilets had been brought in by Greenwich Council but queues up to two hours long meant people would simply go and do their business in a corner.

Disease was rampant. Every day soldiers in full NBC gear came in with empty body bags and left with full body bags. The Metropolitan Police no longer patrolled the Dome. They were busy keeping the streets safe. Crime was rampant inside. There had been a dozen murders in the space of a week and nobody had bothered to count the rapes.

A riot would erupt at the Millennium Dome IDP camp on 13 May when it was revealed that the bodies that were being taken away from the camp by the army were being cremated in power stations to help keep the lights on the city. A fire erupted that spread through the packed arena killing nearly a thousand people. By the time already stretched emergency services arrived it was too late to help many of the people.

By the second week of the outbreak, there was close to six million people displaced within British borders, and over half a million were attempting to reach France. The Eurostar continued non stop right up until the moment the French government ordered the Channel Tunnel sealed. Over 200,000 people would make it through the Chunnel before the closure. A further 500,000 would flee by air before the no fly zone was enforced. Tens of thousands more would flee over the water in seacraft ranging from ferries to houseboats and even handmade rafts.

France, Ireland, Spain and Belgium would take in the majority of British refugee's, though smaller numbers would also settle further afield. Over 10,000 would settle in the United States for example and a further 14,000 in Australia. The Royal Australian Air Force would use its own aircraft to help in the evacuations.

By the time Great Britain was officially quarantined on 19 May, over 1 million British citizens had successfully fled the doomed island for safer shores.

I would imagine the East Coast of the United States and New England region would accept the British as well as Canada and the Atlantic territories.

There is a story called '28 Days Under A Long White Cloud' somewhere on the board. It is about Ragers in New Zealand. In that excellent work, there is a piece explaining how an Infected gets from South Island to North Island in spite of every effort to stop that. One distressed man with his infected wife does everything to 'save' her by sneaking her in using a small boat which takes the long way around with the aim of finding help. This brings infection.

I always thought that would have worked very well with the 28 Days Later films as it would be more plauisble and human too than what we saw with the helicopter to France.

A few question about your earlier posts:

1.) What good would jamming the UK's radios do? Wouldn't that hasten the deaths of people?
2.) Why didn't NATO commit boots on the ground or at least air support? If the threat of the virus is that great
3.) Wouldn't places like Cornwall and Anglesey be able to cut themselves off with about a million refugees each or so?

I wonder what the outrage from the Channel Massacre could cause, maybe Chirac and Bush's popularity going down the drown and tons of French and American apologists.