The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

I found some issues while researching the 1700s for the political version of my Jaillot map:

In 1700, Norway and Iceland were controlled by Denmark (formally the Dano-Norwegian Realm). Spitsbergen/Svalbard were not at this time formally claimed by anyone, although it was in regular use by priviate whaling merchantmen for multiple countries at this time.

The main post has an editable .psd file if you want to use that; for reference, though, it's Tw Cen MT Condensed at 18px, with antialiasing off.

After an afternoon of scavenging for adequate basemaps and retracing borders multiple times, the 962 map is now updated.

ROC_Administrative_and_Claims.png

Random question, is there a worlda map/patch showing the RoC claims? Not that I'm asking for someone to do it for me ("how 'bout doing it yourself?") but rather if it already exists and where to find, or if I'll have to do them if there's none yet.

I noticed a couple minor errors.

In some maps the borders of the Byelorussian and Ukrainian SSRs are a darker color than the others.

British India did not claim the region south of the McMahon line until the late 1930s, and did not actually administer it until the mid 1940s.

So on maps before the 1939 one, the area between the Chinese claim and the McMahan line should be shown as Tibetan and the McMahon line should not be shown at all. From 1939 until 1943, the McMahon line should be shown as a British claim, but the land between the lines should be shown as Tibetan.

From 1944 on, all land south of the line (except Tawang) should be shown as British, with Chinese and Tibetan claim lines also shown.

May anyone help me to mark the location dots of these Chinese cities on the base map: Urumqi, Turpan & Dunhuang? Thank you a lot!

Status update, January 19th 2019:

Hey all! Happy new years! As my winter break draws to a close, and my second semester of my sophomore year in college begins, I wanted to share a status update as to the state of the NextGen Series, what I'm working on, and what I plan to work on.

Where we are
As you may have noticed, I've been going through the series updating maps with advice from our great LSCatilina, who has graciously shared some of their sources, which have been of great help. My main area of focus is updating Central and Southern Asia, as well as reverting many errors in Africa and the Americas. As of now, I've updated most of the maps up to 1115 AD. I feel very confident that Europe is in a good place in almost all of the maps, but as always, feedback on that region is much appreciated. The plethora of sources for Europe has made that region very easy to map. On the other hand, sources on India are very hard to come by before for years before the British Raj. LSCatilina has provided some great starting points, and they've been crucial to my efforts updating it. I wanted to get a lot more done over my winter break than ultimately was accomplished, which I regret.

What I'm Working on
My efforts to revise the maps continue, and I'm midway through updating the 1200 map as I write this. As you may have noticed, many of the late antiquity maps are marked as deprecated, and I intend to circle back to update those as well soon™. I continue to update maps as feedback is posted, and I intend to patch the modern maps with Thon Taddeo's feedback later today.

Feedback on this thread has been great, and the continued support really warms my heart. I take feedback seriously, as the collective knowledge of this board far surpasses that of an individual.

- Hadaril

January 20th, 2019:
- Added updated 1200 AD map
- Revised maps from 1914-1945 with corrections to the McMohen Line
- Updated NCS with revised and added colors for Central and South Asia
- Updated revised maps with the new colors.