Testaments- Handmaids Tale sequel coming in September 2019

Things I want to see in the sequel:

The Sons of Jacob's formation, their ranks and power system (maybe even a flag?).

The resistance against them.

The status of Offred.

And Gilead's eventual collapse and destruction.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Things I want to see in the sequel:

The Sons of Jacob's formation, their ranks and power system (maybe even a flag?).

The resistance against them.

The status of Offred.

And Gilead's eventual collapse and destruction.
I hope she is sticking with the plot of the 1st book as opposed to the TV series. I think the book plot will probably be more interesting especially if it has an AH premise like taking place starting in the 1980's.

Man, I have so many ideas for world building based on the epilogue. Can you say Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Ceausescuist thought?

Yeah, but consider how that turned out.

Only because they have failed. If Eastern Bloc survived, Romania received enough support from the Soviet Union and destroyed demonstrations, it could turn into some sort of North Korea on steroids. With ever growing population. I can even see concentration camps for women and men who refuse to procreate.

Deleted member 92121

I do not really want a Sequel. Works like "The Handmaid's Tale", "1984", Fahrenheit 451, they're about transmitting a idea, a concept of a society gone wrong somewhere.

They're not about Worldbuilding.

Worldbuilding and theorizing is fun as heck, and it fits perfectly with many franchises.

But the more you scrap for details and dates and singularities of Gilead, the more you dilute it's core message that it's about the dangers of a fundamentalism everywhere.

Yeah these dystopias are parables, the only way you can do worldbuilding is in oblique evocative ways like with Blade Runner 2049. Not Tolkien verisimilitude.

Bulldoggus

Banned
I do not really want a Sequel. Works like "The Handmaid's Tale", "1984", Fahrenheit 451, they're about transmitting a idea, a concept of a society gone wrong somewhere.

Worldbuilding and theorizing is fun as heck, and it fits perfectly with many franchises.

But the more you scrap for details and dates and singularities of Gilead, the more you dilute it's core message that it's about the dangers of a fundamentalism everywhere.
Seconded entirely. I mean, I get it, Margaret Atwood wants to make sure that the tuitions of all future generations of Atwoods are accounted for, and it's very possible she genuinely does want to revisit that world. But it all feels so unnecessary. The Handmaid's Tale is enough, as a standalone work.

This.

That's why I don't like the show very much, because it's stretching what is fundamentally a very simple, deliberately detached-from-specifics of time and place story into this full-on Game of Thrones thing. And while some shows have done excellent social commentary with that (see: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), Atwood's original work, like Oryx and Crake and 1984, is fundamentally a parable rather than a detailed allegory. DS9 creates a world--mostly whole-cloth, it must be noted, with only the broad strokes of the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans that we already know being out there as the background for the initial focus on the Bajorans and Cardassians--and uses it to tell deep, nuanced stories of oppression and the internal society of the oppressors, stories that we probably can't get today given the hyper-commercialization of media, the power of studio executives, the obsession with Game of Thrones shock value, the radicalization of social-justice movements through sites like Tumblr to the point that, say, DS9's Duet would be condemned for portraying people who were involved with crimes against humanity as anything less than one-note villains.

The Handmaid's Tale isn't like DS9. It's fundamentally a story like 1984, that isn't meant to be plausible but is intended to teach a lesson using vaguely recognizable places and terms along with scary-sounding new terminology to show the reader that fundamentalism is a very dangerous thing.

So, yeah. The more you do with the work and the setting, the more you erode the power of the original work itself.

That said, if you're going to do something inspired by it, that's fine! A multi-way American Civil War featuring theocratic fundamentalists? That would make boatloads of cash and if done well would be a powerful piece. Just...don't try to stick to this particular established canon. It's not meant for that and it'll only result in a flop.