Section Thirty-Three - 1543
“Fifteen forty-three was the birth year of three influential Tudors or Tudor descendants.

The first birth was that of Philip Avis, eldest son of John Emmanuel of Portugal and Caterina Maria. While Philip Avis would die at age at age seventeen, the sheer number of madrigals, hymns, and voice solos ensure that his influence is still felt today. Many believe that Mozart drew inspiration from Philip Avis for his operas.

The official cause of death of Prince Philip Avis would be accidental fall from his horse, many historians now believe the true cause of death was suicide. By several accounts, Prince Philip suffered from the same melancholia that afflicted his great uncle Prince Henry.

The second birth was of Lord Thomas Tudor, son of Prince Henry and his fourth wife Mary Howard. Lord Thomas would hold the singular distinction of being the only Archbishop of Canterbury without a particular church. The preceding Archbishop would be of the Catholic faith and Thomas Tudor’s successor would be an Awakener.

Lord Thomas Tudor would join the ranks of Kathryn Tudor’s Toms and would be numbered among such men as Sir Thomas More, both Thomas Cromwells, and Thomas Crammer. He would serve the crown as Archbishop for over thirty years, and his mediation would serve to quell much of the religious strife between the different churches that had found a home in England.

The last birth was that of Helena Habsburg, daughter of Ferdinand, King of the Romans, and Maria Tudor, Queen Claimant of England. The Lady Helena was widely regarded as the most beautiful women of her time. She would go onto become Queen of France, when her husband’s cousin died unexpectedly.”
Harper Wayne, “Keeping Up with The Tudors, Your Guide to Who’s Who”​

Section Thirty-Four - mid 1540s
“Lady Elizabeth Hamilton would jilt her betrothed, Matthew Stewart, 4th Earl of Lennox, late in fifteen forty-seven and marry Gerald FitzGerald the 11th Earl of Kildare. Lord Gerald possessed the one quality Lady Elizabeth desired in a husband above all else: obedience.

To appease Lord Matthew, Lady Elizabeth was banished from the Scottish court and would spend much of the next decade in Ireland. This wasn’t really a punishment, for she was still her nephew’s favorite aunt. She served as the voice of her nephew the King while there and was, in many ways, the final authority in all Irish matters.

She would surround herself with several other strong ladies, one of which was Grainne O’Malley, or as she would come to be known by in the history books, Grace O’Malley. The two were within a year of each other and grew quite close.”
Walter Owens, “Bossy, Bossy Beth”​

“France experienced much religious upheaval in the fifteen forties due to influence from Navarre and England. While France would never be protestant like Navarre, nor practice religious acceptance like England, France would be more tolerant of awakeners and protestants than the other Catholic nations. Many Catholics blamed this upon Prince Henry, and it must be said, they weren’t wrong.”
Matheo Henrikson, “The 1500’s Was A Crazy Century, and It Was Mostly the Tudors’ Fault”​

“Early in the Spring of fifteen forty-five, King Francis II and his wife Isabella of Poland finally had a son. The couple had been married for four years and this would be the first pregnancy to come to term. The dauphin would be named Charles.

Many expected King Francis II to betroth the young Dauphin to his cousin Marie Francoise notwithstanding the age difference; Marie Francoise, Duchess of Brittany, was seven years older. But, King Francis II particularly despised Marie Francoise’s mother, Marie of Portugal, and had no desire to betroth his son to her daughter.

Instead both Scotland and Aragon were contacted about their princesses. King Ferdinand III of Aragon had a two-year old daughter named Juana and King James of Scotland’s youngest sister was three.”
Dr. Marella Howard, “Brittany”​

Spain divided seems so weird to me......

Yep, I have a hard time deciding if people should be called Spaniards or Castilians or Aragonese. But the conflict between Castile and Aragon allows me to shake some things up in the colonies that were determined before the point of difference.

Section Thirty-Five - mid 1540s
“King Henri III of Navarre would call a Convocation to discuss the religious future of Navarre. For twenty years, Navarre had gone through the process of severing themselves from the Pope, but besides a strong nationalist feeling and a desire to read the Bible, actual doctrine was lacking.

For several months, the different religious leaders debated. Principle among them were John Calvin and William Tyndale. The end result was the Awakened Church of Navarre, the head of which was God. That point they very strongly insisted. The Lord’s spokesperson on earth would be titled Deacon due to the Greek meaning of messenger.

The Awakened Church of Navarre still shared many rituals with the Catholic church and some Lutheran ideas, but for the most part was founded on John Calvin’s theories and the preeminence of the Bible. This last point would spark a culture of religious lawyers, for if you could find it in the Bible you could argue that you were allowed to do it.

It is commonly believed that the line, ‘Anytime someone asks, what would Jesus do? Remember whipping people and over turning tables is an option’ originally came from Navarre.”
Isaac Laab, “Henry Tudor, Heretic and Father of Kings”​

“The first Deacon of Navarre was Andoni Eneko, an elderly man who at one point had been an abbot. He set the standard for the humbleness of the station, for he would continue to reside in the small former abbey he had once governed and refused all opulent ornamentations offered.

All Navarrese Deacons after Deacon Andoni would dress and live simply, following his example.”
Samso Subiri, “Deacon Andoni”​

“King Henri III would arrange the marriage of his heir, Prince Henri, to Christina Oldenburg who had was the daughter of the deposed King of Denmark, sometime in fifteen thirty. The wedding would be delayed due to Katies’ War. The couple would go on to have one of the most tumultuous relationships of the century: sometimes they would be particularly close, lavishing attention and affection upon each other to the discomfort of those around them; other times they would rage and fight, often in public also to the discomfort of those around them; and still other times one would be angry with the other who was trying to regain their affection, often with grand public gestures this really discomfortedd people.

The first marital fight would be about religion, for King Henri and his son expected Princess Christina to convert to the newly formed Awakened Church of Navarre. She initially refused. We know from her journal that she actually came to believe in the awakened principles as early as three months after the marriage, but she held out from sheer stubbornness and wouldn’t convert until the birth of their son, named Antoine in honor of Deacon Andoni, some three years later”
Ephraim Pollock, “Henry and Christina, They May Have Tried to Kill Each Other”​

That final title is genius!

I'm glad you like it! I feel like it sums up their relationship really well. I kinda picture them as this couple from one of my favorite crime tv shows where they each hire a hitman to kill the other, but at the end of the episode have fallen back in love and are refusing to testify against the other claiming spousal privilege. I may be having a little to much fun with the book titles.

I'm glad you like it! I feel like it sums up their relationship really well. I kinda picture them as this couple from one of my favorite crime tv shows where they each hire a hitman to kill the other, but at the end of the episode have fallen back in love and are refusing to testify against the other claiming spousal privilege. I may be having a little to much fun with the book titles.

Sounds interesting. What show/episode?

Section Thirty-Six - late 1500s
“The marriage of Prince Henry, Duke of York, and Lady Mary Howard only lasted about three years. The conflict seems to have arisen when Prince Henry discovered that Lady Mary had no particular religious feelings; she had not truly converted to the Awakened faith.

This appears to have triggered one of Prince Henry’s melancholic episodes. This episode was punctuated by load outbursts where he and the Lady Mary raged at each other. After several months, Lady Mary would renounce her conversion and retire to a nunnery.

This loud religious disagreement between two prominent people appears to have upset the current delicate religious balance in England, so it was suggested to Prince Henry that he might want to visit his son Duke John of Julich-Cleves-Berg. Prince Henry would take the hint. In a rather large spectacle at court, he would announce that he had been too long away from his children (ignoring that half of them were in England) and must leave England. He would also resign as Lord Chancellor at this point.

In the wake of Prince Henry’s absence, Sir Thomas More was selected to fill the office of Lord Chancellor. To counter act this appointment, Thomas Cromwell was promoted to Lord High Treasurer.”
Melantha Jones, “Religious Acceptance in Renaissance England”​

“One of the more significant historical fallacies from the 1500s is the merging of Protestants and Awakeners. The two movements are actually separate. The later refers to a specific group and ideology that spawned the Awakened Church and its fourteen official branches. The Protestants refers to all those that disagreed with the preeminence of the Catholic Church. The amalgamation of these two movements come from the fact that the Awakeners were definitely the loudest group (this was mostly due to Prince Henry Tudor) though not the largest.

Additionally, several prominent Protestants would use the the ideology of awakening to describe their own religious experiences. As such it is appropriate to refer to both of the movements as the Awakening.”
Lise Marie Peters, “The Awakening of Europe”​

“Prince Henry first heard of Princess Renée’s heresy trial while visiting his son Duke John Tudor. Having recently gotten divorced due to his ex-wife’s false conversion, hearing of a woman who was standing by her principles must have inspired him. For, instead of returning to Navarre at the end of his visit, Prince Henry traveled to Ferrara.

There Prince Henry, in what has been immortalized in three movies, two plays, and sundry books, staged a prison break. Acting with the assistance of his old friend Cesare Borgia [1], Prince Henry would spirit Princess Renée and her children out of the country.

Upon reaching Navarre, Prince Henry and Princess Renée were married.”
Isaac Laab, “Henry Tudor, Heretic and Father of Kings”​

[1] No one quite knows why Cesare Borgia assisted Prince Henry. The best guess is that the ensuing upheaval was beneficial in some way, or at least amusing.

“Rumors have circulated throughout history on how Prince Henry rescued Princess Renée and her children. Popular ones include that the small group swung from rooftop to rooftop, that Prince Henry and Princess Renée dressed as old women to escape, and that Cesare Borgia would hold off pursuers single handedly to allow them to escape before succumbing. This last one is completely false, for his bones were recently examined and the causes of death is definitively old age.”
William Richards, “Italy and the Awakening”​

“The whole of Ferrara is in uproar. I have always thought that Prince Henry’s reputation had outgrown the man, but I must say now that I do not think the tales have grown loud enough. “
Letter from Italian nobleman to his father​

Last edited:
So Henry got to be a knight in shining armour after all. Great chapter... And he is going through his women, isn't he? I count Renee as wife number 5...

What's interesting is what use of "Awakener" implies.
Mainly that it's almost exclusively an English speaker's religion and likely dominated by the lower classes.
Otherwise something like Resuscitant or Exsuscitant would be used - compare Protestant, Anglican, Presbyterian, Puritan, etc.

So Henry got to be a knight in shining armour after all. Great chapter... And he is going through his women, isn't he? I count Renee as wife number 5...

I’m glad you like the chapter. And yes Renee is number 5. At least none of her predecessors lost their heads.

What's interesting is what use of "Awakener" implies.
Mainly that it's almost exclusively an English speaker's religion and likely dominated by the lower classes.
Otherwise something like Resuscitant or Exsuscitant would be used - compare Protestant, Anglican, Presbyterian, Puritan, etc.

While, the primary awakener, Prince Henry, is English the largest concentration of awakeners is actually in Navarre where they are known as
Esnatuko, the basque word for awaken. I haven’t been using esnatuko, sorry, cause I have to look up how to spell it, and I have a hard enough time spelling my own language. :)

But there is definitely a lower class concentration in Navarre due to the main tenet of the right to a vernacular bible and the first Navarrese bible was in Basque not French. In England it’s more of an upper class thing, since it was the nobles and land owners that first had access to the English translation of the Bible.