Who was the best president of the United States in this timeline?

• Calvin Coolidge: the Revolutionary President

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
War of 1812
The War of 1812

The White House, barely over a decade old, has been home to three of the four presidents of the United States of America. The first was the second president, John Adams, the second occupant was Thomas Jefferson, the Third being the current president: James Madison, who was currently looking through the great, curved bay windows that allowed one to see the wondrous view that was Washington D.C. Across to the horizon, Madison could see where a mighty river emptied into the Chesapeake bay. The sunlight dazzled across the water at dawnlight. It would have been perfect weather if not for the bad news from Secretary of War William Eustis and Secretary of the Navy Paul Hamilton.

The commander in chief of a country not yet fifty years old gripped the wooden ledge until his knuckles turned white. " I'm sorry, I fear I did not hear correctly." Secretary Hamilton paused to sip his brandy, after all, brandy made things easier. "The British surprised us. The Battle on Lake Erie was to eliminate the redcoat presence on the water." He paused to take a second sip. "It seems the roles were reversed. Barclay's fleet managed to sink the Lawrence, the Tigress, the Scorpion, and the Porcupine." "And of Perry?" "Dead, his dingy was blown out the water. Good news is that the Niagara managed to slink away, albeit greatly damaged." The news troubled Madison. Eustis stepped forward with his report. "On the 5th of October, Proctor and his Indian ally, Tecumseh, attacked General Harrison's army. Luckily, this fight was less of a victory for the British. Harrison managed to repulse them. The losses read as following, sir. We suffered sixty confirmed deaths, and atleast eighty wounded." Madison rubbed his face, his thumb and finger grazing over his bags. He really needed more sleep. "What are the British casualties?" "Twenty six dead, unsure of How many escaped, but we captured five hundred soldiers, meaning a defecto victory. We also captured twenty three Indians from Tecumseh's Confederacy."

Madison turned to look at the members of his cabinet. "Quebec seems to be unobtainable from the loyalists. We are stretched thin, I'm sure Secretary Gallatin has told you we are stretched thinly economicly." The president sat down. "I do hope our efforts down south are doing better."

Up next: the battle of Horseshoe Bend.

Thoughts? More interesting than my last timeline?

Last edited:
I'm always up for an early republic timeline, subscribed. Can't wait to see how this develops.

Thoughts? More interesting than my last timeline?

I'd put a date at the start of it, just to make it clear. Apart from that -
upload_2018-12-11_14-38-27.jpeg

War of 1812 part 2
March 27, 1814
Andrew Jackson stood upon a grassy knoll, surveying the breastworks created by the Red Stick faction. There was no noticeable damage from his 12 pounder cannons. He rubbed the neck of his gray horse. He pulled his saber out of his sheath. "Charge! Charge you miserable sacks of lard! Scalp you some injuns!" The blue boys of the United States 39th infantry marched before picking up speed. Their muskets were aimed at the walls, bayonets gleaming in the sunlight. The Tennessee militia charged with them, nowhere near as disciplined, but brave none the less. Alongside them was their native allies, the lower creek, or white sticks, the Choctaw, and the Cherokee.

Third Lieutenant Sam Houston charged over the wall, arrows whizzing past him, but none hitting the mark. More blue coats went over the works. Jackson in his excitement cheered loudly, rearing up his horse. The horse, naturally spooked, jerked him off. Jackson cursed and cussed as the mighty beast flailled and kicked, it's It in shoes striking the general. "Damn you, you flea-bitten-" the horse stomped Jackson silly and crazy(ier) before being calmed by aides. Jackson was taken away to have his wounds treated. Sam Houston rallied the forces, urging them on. "Come on, boys! One final push!" Brutal hand to hand fighting consumed the fortress, red skins colliding with white skins.

Eventually, at about 7:30 pm, Chief Menawa capulated to the Americans. Sam Houston, the highest ranking officer still in the field, accepted the surrender. "It's a good thing that war is horrible, that way we don't grow found of it." Houston said to his opponent. "I agree with you, white man. That I agree with you."
Houston ordered the scalping of Indian corpses to be prohibited for the time being, and for the surviving natives to be treated as prisoners of war.

Last edited:
Oh please have Jackson die in some stupid accident, Let Houston take the place as hero, Houston is an all around more agreeable person.

Oh please have Jackson die in some stupid accident, Let Houston take the place as hero, Houston is an all around more agreeable person.
Maybe he will, maybe he won't
Maybe he'll end up like Caligula
You'll have to wait and find out:)

Sam Houston sat in the large, comfy chair in front of President James Madison. It was the first time Houston had actually met him. It felt awkward, to say the least. Madison laced his fingers like Dolly's corset. "So, you brokered a treaty between us and the creek?" "Err, Upper Creek sir. There is a difference. Sir."

Madison nodded. "According to the document, you annexed the territory belonging to the upper creek to the Mississippi territory, but granted the lower creek remain autonomous within their territory in South western Georgia and just north of West Florida. Hm, well, at least it means our little war with that tribe is done before they reached out to the British." "Sir, I do I hope the treaty is acceptable. I just wanted to be sure our allies got what was deserved". Madison stood and outstretched his hand. "Thank you, Colonel Houston." "Sir, I'm only a third Lieutenant." Madison smiled. "Not anymore you. I have promoted you. You are going up north. The British and Tecumseh's Indians are massing along the boarder. I need someone who I can trust." Houston gripped his president's hand tightly. "I won't let you down, sir."

As Houston left the oval office, Madison sat down, slumped in his chair. He looked at his secretary of war. "Send a letter to Jackson, or have somebody do it. He is to remain in Louisiana indefinitely. His injuries are too great to risk having him moved so much." "Yes Mr President." Madison looked out at the water again. August is such a pretty month, he thought. Even prettier if there is victory.

Last edited:
War of 1812 part 3
August 24th 1814
The White House, the home of the President of the United States of America, was burning. Earlier that day, the British had forced the Yankees to flee when they launched the little congreve rockets, leaving the city undefended. Richard Smith, a private in the 4th regiment, had helped set fire to the treasury building. Oh what joy to be part of history! His group went on down the street, cheering. "Say, isn't it good luck that that Barney bloke fled up the Patuxent? Made routing the yanks much easier." Richard was inclined to agree with his fellow soldier. A few rain drops patterned on him. "Hm, looks like rain." Then the bottom dropped out on them. "Shite! It's a fuukin storm! Run boys! It's going to get rough!" The wind got stronger and course. Cannon were lifted and thrown like pebbles. The rain drowned out the fires, cooling the charred buildings. Didn't matter. The damage was already done.

September 13th
Francis Scott Key groaned as the surgeon straightened his left leg. "You should be more careful." "I'll remember that for the next time I'm running from British regulars." He winced. The doctor continued speaking. "I heard there was a victory at Fort McHenry. Apparently we drove off the English." "Hm, shame", said Key. "Somebody could have wrote a song about it."

August 30th, 1814
Plattsburgh was currently under bombardment by the great lakes fleet on Lake Champlain. The local church had been flattened, as had other buildings. The British army assaulted the walls, only to be repulsed by Sam Houston's men. Sam, who was currently at the walls, shoved a ball down the barrel. "Fire!" The acid smell of gunpowder consumed the city as hot lead and iron balls rained down upon the invaders. Houston, though very much tired, refused to go to his headquarters. General Harrison was engaging the enemy outside the wall, and Houston was going to be dammed if he let the redcoat take refuge inside the city from the hero of Tippecanoe. Powder and soot blackened his face, not that one could tell in the dark. The only light to see by was the flashes of muskets and artillery. The redcoat began to retreat back to their boats, fleeing in desperation. "We did it... we actually did it!" The men on the wall began cheering. "Houston! Houston! Houston! Houston!" The roar of the name of their personal savior echoed along the walls, surpassing the sound of the battle.

Last edited:
Houston, while a staunch supporter of Jacksonian Democracy, was a pretty liberal dude for the time. He was also a member of the Cherokee (I think), and consistently defended their rights. I imagine if Houston's star is rising the five civilized tribes will get a fairer shake in this TL.

Houston, while a staunch supporter of Jacksonian Democracy, was a pretty liberal dude for the time. He was also a member of the Cherokee (I think), and consistently defended their rights. I imagine if Houston's star is rising the five civilized tribes will get a fairer shake in this TL.
You are correct on that, he was part of the Cherokee. Also, the 5 civilized tribes are getting a MUCH better shake in TTL. How though, you'll have to wait and see

War of 1812 part 4
January 1st 1815
General Pakenham looked out over the fields. "Eyeglass, now". His aide passed him the telescope. Magnifying, Pakenham studied his opponent's earthen walls. "It seems our cannon has destroyed the Yankee fortifications. Onward! We shall strike while the iron is hot!" Regulars began their charge. "We shall have our revenge." Days earlier, Jackson sent his meager force to engage the British at the plantation outside New Orleans, inflicting great casualties. Jackson had, however, suffered a great loss of men himself. He was forced to build an almost entirely new army from scratch with the local Creole and slave population. The green recruits were unable to construct proper defenses in such a short time. After two waves, the americans were forced to pull out of the city, leaving it in the hands of the British.

January 6th 1815
Battle had again come to the Americans further up the river. The redcoat army had been repulsed 4 times by Jackson's cobbled together army and The recently arrived Tennessee volunteers. Jackson hobbled along the battlements, struggling to be Mobil. A cannon ball sailed overhead, baring down on Jackson. A local slave acted quickly, tackling Jackson, saving him. This would have a profound effect on Jackson in his later life.

War of 1812 part 5
While the news of the victory at Plattsburgh traveled across the nation, restoring faith in the US in New England, the americans were forced to submit to the humiliating treaty of Ghent on Christmas day, 1814. News of the defeat would not reach North America until after the Battle of New Orleans, which was (correctly) fully expected to be under British control. The treaty was humiliating, forcing the United States of America to accept the following:
  • The northern portion of the territory of Maine was to be annexed to Canada.
  • The Michigan territory was to be annexed to Canada.
  • The Missouri territory was to be given to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. General Pakenham was appointed provisional governor of the new colony until it could be further established.
  • New Orleans would permanently have British regulars stationed in the city to ensure free travel up the Mississippi river. Admiral Alexander Cochrane was appointed the first governer of New Orleans.
  • Tecumseh's Confederacy what's be recognized as a legitimate entity and be granted territory in the Indiana territory to permanently belong to the collection of tribes under the chief.
The general harshness of the treaty brought about the end of the Democratic-Republican Party as it collapsed within the next few years.