EVEN MOAR ETHIOPIA TLS

Ethiopian maritime empire from Arabia Felix to Madagascar and East to Maldives.

I'm personally interested in the concept of a more maritime-focused Ethiopia that controls the Bab-el-Mandeb, leading to Christian Arabs and Ethiopians filling the role that the Muslim merchants had IOTL in India and Indonesia.

A stronger Greek-Ethiopian relationship across centuries would be interesting. Interesting is the fact that thousands of Greeks and Armenians fled the Ottoman Empire in the 1800es and formed communities active until the 20th Century.
What do you think a closer relationship would entail for either Greece or Ethiopia?
I'm personally interested in the concept of a more maritime-focused Ethiopia that controls the Bab-el-Mandeb, leading to Christian Arabs and Ethiopians filling the role that the Muslim merchants had IOTL in India and Indonesia.
This might be apart of a surviving Aksum TL - what do you think?
Ethiopa as present-day part of (or successor to) Sabaean empire.
Perhaps we see Ethiopia retaining its foothold in Southern Arabia and re-establishing the Kingdom of Saba as a de-facto puppet state.

Vuu

Banned
Sounds quite interesting! What do you think might happen as a result of this?

Well, probably that the Greek influence in Africa is much stronger. It's a rather early PoD, can butterfly Islam and a whole lot of things. Orthodox bushmen petty kings resisting catholic bantu invaders anyone?

Well, probably that the Greek influence in Africa is much stronger. It's a rather early PoD, can butterfly Islam and a whole lot of things. Orthodox bushmen petty kings resisting catholic bantu invaders anyone?
How plausible do you think Greek expansion into Ethiopia is with this scenario?

Vuu

Banned
How plausible do you think Greek expansion into Ethiopia is with this scenario?

literal expansion/conquest? Nah - unless you somehow brutally exterminate every single tsetse fly and the 1001 environmental hazards that the Greeks will simply find too difficult to bother to deal with - it's why the Romans never tried too hard to go beyond Sudan. But influence is more feasible, though you'd need someone more versed in the intricacies of the period and region to tell you more

literal expansion/conquest? Nah - unless you somehow brutally exterminate every single tsetse fly and the 1001 environmental hazards that the Greeks will simply find too difficult to bother to deal with - it's why the Romans never tried too hard to go beyond Sudan. But influence is more feasible, though you'd need someone more versed in the intricacies of the period and region to tell you more
Could we potentially see Russia becoming more involved in Ethiopia than IOTL?

Vuu

Banned
Depends if a "Russia" even exists at that point

I'm believing mainstream history of Eastern Europe less and less - most of it based of German and Austrian research from the 19th century and we damn well know that it might not be the most objective

Depends if a "Russia" even exists at that point

I'm believing mainstream history of Eastern Europe less and less - most of it based of German and Austrian research from the 19th century and we damn well know that it might not be the most objective
Hmm, too bad! It would be interesting stuff for a Russian Ethiopia TL. Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge.

Perhaps we see Ethiopia more culturally-aligned with Eastern Europe.

Amhara Region remained Agaw-speaking (Central Cushitic) and their relationship with the Oromo-dominated ATL Ethiopia.

I might be able to do that but I'd like to ask - what do you think might have to be done for such a scenario to occur?
Unfortunately, I really can't answer your question. I know very little about Ethiopian history or the Prester John legend in particular.

I see you started a thread on a Russian Ethiopia - suffice to say, you have my attention.

BUMP

Anyone got any more recommendations? I'm interesting in listening and potentially seeing people become inspired to write their own Ethiopia TLs!

I have almost zero knowledge in this area, but how about something based on a surviving Kingdom of Semien?
Related, for 1900, wasn't Ethiopia considered as a possible 'homeland' for the Jews before the 2WW? Or am I getting myself mixed up with somewhere else?

I have almost zero knowledge in this area, but how about something based on a surviving Kingdom of Semien?
Related, for 1900, wasn't Ethiopia considered as a possible 'homeland' for the Jews before the 2WW? Or am I getting myself mixed up with somewhere else?
IIRC, many Jews took an interest in Ethiopia IOTL prior to and before the Second World War as Jewish immigration from Ethiopia to Palestine was occurring before the Italian invasion of 1935 put a halt to that. Perhaps we see an Ethiopian Royal become King of Israel after World War 2?